Anyone try to start a Jet YouTube channel like Mr Asman?

43 minutes ago, OverweightJetsFan said:

My one concern is that I am a touch over 400 pounds and sensitive about my weight. Do you think people will make fun of me or focus on good content?

Asman makes a ton of money doing this. I get he’s good looking so that helps. 

Just grow a majestic beard. I can't tell what GreenBean's body looks like in his Jets videos cause its all I see 

• Haha 4

49 minutes ago, OverweightJetsFan said:

My one concern is that I am a touch over 400 pounds and sensitive about my weight. Do you think people will make fun of me or focus on good content?

We used to have a guy here, forgot his handle, that did some fun videos… guys here weren’t kind, but to his credit he didn’t give a ****.

Jake Asman went to college for broadcasting. He has a lot of connections. I think he also does some ESPN for the Texans. He isn’t some Joe Shmoe that just sat down and started a YouTube channel. That being said if your content is great and people start watching you then there u go! I think your gonna need a lot of confidence and will probably need some good experience to make it as a YouTuber. I couldn’t do it I don’t think. 

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Jake Asman went to college for broadcasting. He has a lot of connections. I think he also does some ESPN for the Texans. He isn’t some Joe Shmoe that just sat down and started a YouTube channel. That being said if your content is great and people start watching you then there u go! I think your gonna need a lot of confidence and will probably need some good experience to make it as a YouTuber. I couldn’t do it I don’t think. 

Jake Asman is incredibly talented. I love his channel. He’s going places. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OverweightJetsFan said:

Jake Asman is incredibly talented. I love his channel. He’s going places. 

his flip flopping is highly annoying.

for the first half of the season i had to listen to him tell everyone to give zach a chance because he was 5-1

for the second half of the season i had to listen to him tell everyone that a can of soda could have been 5-1 with that team

pick a lane bro

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, k-met57 said:

his flip flopping is highly annoying.

for the first half of the season i had to listen to him tell everyone to give zach a chance because he was 5-1

for the second half of the season i had to listen to him tell everyone that a can of soda could have been 5-1 with that team

pick a lane bro

He’s speaks for the fan base. 

1 hour ago, OverweightJetsFan said:

Could always just do a podcast to start and see how it goes.

• Upvote 1

You do you man. As some have joked/alluded to I started making some videos to vent and let it all out after this season. For me, its therapy, I'm not trying to become a YouTuber or make money. For me its just a place to let it out and let a few friends listen. IF you are in it for money, its going to be hard but not impossible. I would recommend just having fun with it like I do. These guys are way advanced in their platforms and some of them literally do it for a living (although they dont make as much as you think) trust me on this. Most normal day jobs are going to pay more. 

Life is short, do it if you want. No one gives a sh*t what you look like and if they do, they are shallow assholes. But if anyone puts themselves out there you gotta have thick skin.  Do you man. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

You need 1000 subs and 4,000 watch hours just to apply to make money  

How Much Does YouTube Pay You for 1 Million Views? On average, you can earn $2,000 to $15,000 per million views on YouTube. The exact number depends on factors like your content niche, video length, and geographic location.

not sure if that is current and correct but I’d probably put my energy somewhere else tbh 

You’re morbidly obese at 400 lbs but there is an amazing market for such a spectacle if done correctly. If you’re looking for a social media manager to expertly curate your large image im your girl

You can actually incorporate your obesity into your content for clicks. People love morbidly fascinating sh*t

• Upvote 1

Have you ever seen Milana Vayntrub who is the girl that does the AT&T commercials. People have shamed her body and looks although she is a talented and incredibly beautiful woman

Unfortunately some people are just inherently cruel and no matter how talented you are how ,interesting the content is or how you look they can just cowardly sit behind a keyboard and type derogatory comments instead of enjoying what you have to say. That being said if you want to do it go right ahead, don’t let the small amount of assholes keep you from doing something you’d like to do 
I wish you best of luck in this or any endeavor you may undertake 

10 hours ago, OverweightJetsFan said:

I think "expect the worst but hope for the best" would the best approach.  I'm already rooting for you, but people are going to be crappy.  Heck, we all make jokes (including me) about Crusher (though hopefully they come off good-natured,which they're intended to be.  Also, I think he invites it so hopefully it's "all good").

7 hours ago, DLJ said:

You’re morbidly obese at 400 lbs but there is an amazing market for such a spectacle if done correctly. If you’re looking for a social media manager to expertly curate your large image im your girl

You can actually incorporate your obesity into your content for clicks. People love morbidly fascinating sh*t

But wouldn't that make him feel obligated to be overweight "for the sake of the show"?  Is that really in his best interest?

10 hours ago, Larz said:

You need 1000 subs and 4,000 watch hours just to apply to make money  

How Much Does YouTube Pay You for 1 Million Views? On average, you can earn $2,000 to $15,000 per million views on YouTube. The exact number depends on factors like your content niche, video length, and geographic location.

not sure if that is current and correct but I’d probably put my energy somewhere else tbh 

If you can start as a side hustle, then it’s worth the effort… if it has potential for scale. You have to discern early whether or not it’s gonna click. That dude Blippi made a fortune with sh*t content. You never know what is gonna land with people until you throw a few darts.

12 hours ago, OverweightJetsFan said:

Nice kid. Cute girlfriend who can bake a decent cupcake (?). Talented.? Sure. Good looking? Inoffensive looking is more like it.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, OverweightJetsFan said:

There are other reasons to make fun of you. I wouldn’t worry about it. Would this venture add or subtract from the number of threads you start here? 

9 hours ago, DLJ said:

I'm just morbid. Can you help?

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, OverweightJetsFan said:

Asman does radio spots as well. Moved to Houston to co host a texans show and does fill in spots on ESPN. Seems like his total focus in life.

Don't let your weight prevent you from trying something you want to do. You may get some mean comments but dont dwell on them. People are awkward as hell when they start, just keep putting in the time and effort. People will watch if you provide value and you are genuine.

First Video

Love Asman, he's a great dude. He's a little bit of a special case as he is a face for ESPN Houston (was on ESPN NY the other day though!)

As far as the money is concerned, YouTube requires you to be apart of the YouTube Partner Program so you'll need:

- 1000 subscribers

- 4,000 hours of your content consumed or 10m views on shorts.

It use to have to happen within a calendar year but I believe that has been lifted. Basically you have to hit those thresholds before you make $1 from a YT channel. YT also garnishes 30% of all channel memberships and 30% of all Super Chats and Donations. If you can edit and make thumbnails that could save you a little money instead of outsourcing.

Sponsors for a channel definitely help but you need the metrics to attract the advertisers. There are a lot of layers to making money but my ultimate suggestion is to do it because you enjoy it.

• Post of the Week 1

16 hours ago, OverweightJetsFan said:

You can always narrate while running a power point of images. 

The problem with many content creators is that they have no self awareness. 

There was a guy who started making videos and posting them here.  They literally made me uncomfortable to watch.  Not only was the content bad, the dude gave off a creepy stalker vibe.  Like he drove around in a windowless van with "free candy" painted on the side.  

Don't be that guy.

• Haha 1