Rumor: Woody Wants LaFleur, Offensive Staff, LaFired

3 hours ago, Jolot said:

Saleh going to step down at some point in the next month , I’ve been saying it for weeks now …there’s enough LOL Jets mentality in the league that he will save face and get a better job quickly , doesn’t matter if he deserves one or not . It’s the right career move . He should resign . 

What a boss move that would be. Hope it doesn't happen. But damn.

• Upvote 1

Woody should just stay out of the way. JD has improved the talent on the roster and Saleh although going through some growing pains has improved the culture of the team and is a QB away from being serious contenders. 
Hire the experienced Special Assistant for MLF get a viable QB and give them year # 3 and see what happens. Hell I and a number of other posters wanted Urlbrich shot into the sun but he turned this Defense around MLF with some help, a QB he can trust and a healthy O line hopefully can do the same with the Offense if not then out he goes 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

This kind of owner interference is very bad.  I could care less if LaFleur is the right guy or not. 

Next time someone interviews for a jets job the first thing i ask woody is, 'Are you going to pressure me to hire or fire coordinators mr Johnson?

Also how is this being communicated?  Is Woody telling Douglas this and he is telling Saleh?

maybe the owner should stay away from the football side of things but we've seen the doltfins and the jags with a short hook and even the lions and giants all four of those teams are in the playoffs.  we don't know what goes on behind closed doors but it certainly speak well of the offense when myles austin was popped for gambling and allegedly was golfing during training camp.  and lafleur had players in the dog house for both seasons and players essentially frustrated by the plays being called.  and, of course, the biggest issue is the regression of zwilson.  i know people mostly don't want wilson but he has done very well at times and i think he's been so twisted up with trying to please milfy that he's forgotten how to play.  change of scenery or a change in coaches might be the best for him. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Aussie Jet said:

Are you prepared to trade a first round pick to the Saints? Because that's the minimum it would cost to get Payton here. It will probably cost more.

Who knows what it would cost... but I'm willing if it means bringing in A Legit Accomplished HC... to get Parcells the Jets gave up a 3rd & 4th the 1st yr, a 2nd the 2nd year & a 1st in the 3rd yr... & at that time Parcells was a more accomplished HC than Payton is now... Everything is about negotiation & compensation... JD has been pretty good with both.

9 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Reich

if there is truth to this he seems to be a logical choice.

Experienced, respected in the league and certainly helpful if the vet qb you are targeting has a no trade and you need them to agree to come here 

Reich kind of reminds me of Caldwell in a way that he is not going to excite you with his actions on the sideline (we know that does not always work out) or snazzy press conferences, but is a solid NFL head coach. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, BP said:

MLF is learning on the job to the detriment of our better offensive players. What’s the point of that? Now there’s all of a sudden talented players that suck in their second years (carter and Moore) and saleh is like “it happens “

it’s comical at this point. The whole organization is a ******* joke. And the embarrassing part is that the rest of the league knows it.  Who would want to come here and play for this offense?

This is why I want JD to over leverage the trade lever this off-season. Then the players don’t have a choice.

Minshew is a bit of an outlier in that he wants to start above all else, even money. This is the type of FA JD should target.

The word has been out for years among NFL agents that Woody’s Jets are a good final stop for their clients to cash in for an amount they can’t get elsewhere at that point of their careers.

• Post of the Week 2

15 minutes ago, BP said:

MLF is learning on the job to the detriment of our better offensive players. What’s the point of that? Now there’s all of a sudden talented players that suck in their second years (carter and Moore) and saleh is like “it happens “

it’s comical at this point. The whole organization is a ******* joke. And the embarrassing part is that the rest of the league knows it.  Who would want to come here and play for this offense?

would be nice to get some grown ups to coach the Jets for a change.  The youth movement sucks.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You should get rid of Zach if only to get Steve Young to move on to something else. Pretty crazy that Steve Young—who is Zach’s financial and career advisor—is using his platform to campaign for LaFleur’s termination. Get the entitled shrimp 3000 miles away from my team. 

Bitcoin Eth GIF by FullMag

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You should get rid of Zach if only to get Steve Young to move on to something else. Pretty crazy that Steve Young—who is Zach’s financial and career advisor—is using his platform to campaign for LaFleur’s termination. Get the entitled shrimp 3000 miles away from my team. 

hmm could be coming from Woody Advisor too

https://pagesix.com/2021/05/02/jets-owner-woody-johnsons-son-takes-part-in-nfl-draft/

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I'm very concerned to find myself in agreement with Woody.

Exactly, the owner has every right to ask for changes after this debacle.  Has anyone here worked in business?

I’m not a Woody fan but the transition to blame Woody here is wrong.  He let Saleh hire his staff at the beginning and is now looking to correct a mistake if Saleh won’t do it himself.  Doesn’t mean he won’t let Saleh hire the next guy as long as it is someone with some experience.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Is he? On espn?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

I guess young is cheap

Young, untested, or desperate. Woody’s hiring criteria.

I can’t allow myself to even entertain the idea that Woody will be willing to make Payton or Harbaugh the highest paid coaches in NFL history who would also bring with them very expensive staff coaches.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The only problem with that is Wilson isn’t the only one whose skills deteriorated under MLF. Mims took a step back from year 1 under Gase to his time under MLF. We all blamed Mims but now you have to wonder. This year both Carter and Moore seemed to take a step back also. If they aren’t going to let MLF go they definitely need to bring in a strong experienced offensive coach to help with getting this offense on track. Everyone thinks this is the Shanahan offense but Shanahan uses a fullback 40% of the time and MLF almost never does. That fullback would help especially in the red zone. The offense that MLF uses is more of the version his brother uses at Green Bay. That doesn’t work as well when you don’t have a hall of fame QB running it.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, fusionCA said:

the next time Michael Lombardi is right will be the first time

now you guy are going on this ass kissing pos for info?

i am now 100% sure no one is getting fired , if Michael Lombardi tell you something do a 180 and you will win 

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2019/5/31/18645958/mike-lombardi-joe-douglas-eagles-jets-general-manager-job-interview-philadelphia-howie-roseman-nfl

ADNAN VIRK: You’ve been so good with this Jets stuff. Obviously, you nailed the fact that [Mike] Maccagnan was in trouble prior to a lot of people thinking so — hint, hint, [Mike] Francesa. Any ideas where the Jets could be leaning here?

LOMBARDI: Everybody tells me it’s Joe Douglas. I mean, look, Joe Douglas — he’s going to have options. Well, Joe Douglas wants to leave Philly. I don’t think Joe Douglas is really that comfortable in Philadelphia in this current setup. The Eagles are going really extensively — they hired [former Browns executive] Andrew Berry. They’re going to go really with the analytics. Now, I think they’re going to do both. I think they’re going to have an analytic department and have an old school personnel department and see if they can bridge the two gaps. I don’t think Joe Douglas is sitting there, singing kumbaya every single day in the office. Everybody tells me [the Jets GM opening] is his job.

5 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Exactly, the owner has every right to ask for changes after this debacle.  Has anyone here worked in business?

I’m not a Woody fan but the transition to blame Woody here is wrong.  He let Saleh hire his staff at the beginning and is now looking to correct a mistake if Saleh won’t do it himself.  Doesn’t mean he won’t let Saleh hire the next guy as long as it is someone with some experience.

When you pay the bills you have the right to call the shots. Whether it’s wise or not is a different question. But his right to do so is absolute.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, dbatesman said:

This is where I’m at too. I think LaFleur needs to go, but I’d rather he stay than have Woody meddling in CS decisions like this.

It’s not meddling. The offense failed and Woody is demanding accountability. If Saleh objects, let him propose an alternate solution or at least justification. What is Woody supposed to do? Just sit back and accept  failure? 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Joejet said:

The only problem with that is Wilson isn’t the only one whose skills deteriorated under MLF. Mims took a step back from year 1 under Gase to his time under MLF. We all blamed Mims but now you have to wonder. This year both Carter and Moore seemed to take a step back also. If they aren’t going to let MLF go they definitely need to bring in a strong experienced offensive coach to help with getting this offense on track. Everyone thinks this is the Shanahan offense but Shanahan uses a fullback 40% of the time and MLF almost never does. That fullback would help especially in the red zone. The offense that MLF uses is more of the version his brother uses at Green Bay. That doesn’t work as well when you don’t have a hall of fame QB running it.

Very true.  You can’t tell me that mims, moore AND carter are all regressing.  For all we know MLF has favorites and the players are sick of it. 

Just now, jgb said:

Young, untested, or desperate. Woody’s hiring criteria.

what I dont get, and probably because I do not know how the finances work for owning a team, but what I dont get is he is not really cheap when it comes to FA.

Now I guess some of that comes from HAVING to spend at least so much per 3 year period based on NFL rules? I think it is but he has not been cheap there.

What I am kinda thinking is the coaching budget comes out of some other accounting where it hits his bottom line somehow maybe? because the "NFL cash machine laundering system only goes so far".