Rumor: Woody Wants LaFleur, Offensive Staff, LaFired

2 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

what I dont get, and probably because I do not know how the finances work for owning a team, but what I dont get is he is not really cheap when it comes to FA.

Now I guess some of that comes from HAVING to spend at least so much per 3 year period based on NFL rules? I think it is but he has not been cheap there.

What I am kinda thinking is the coaching budget comes out of some other accounting where it hits his bottom line somehow maybe? because the "NFL cash machine laundering system only goes so far"

My theory — consistently spending to cap minimums would elicit a vocal reaction from media and fans. Not many people GAF what the staff is paid.

If Woody is going to tell his current GM / HC who he wants fired - why would any prospective HC with plenty options available to him want to come here?

Picture the interview like this ...

Payton: "Will I have complete autonomy over the coaching staff?"

Woody: "Sure ..."

Payton:

Woody: "... until I want to get rid of them"

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Post of the Week 3

10 hours ago, Joejet said:

Not a good look if Woody forces his hand. I think they need to talk with LaFleur and let him know that they are planning to bring in an experienced coach to oversee and help him with the offense and someone else to replace Calabrese as QB coach. If LaFleur won’t accept that then let him go, but it should be Saleh’s call. Saleh will have to live with the results though if there is no improvement in the offense in 2023 if he decides to keep him.

Certainly they have already told mlf this if it’s already been reported 

10 minutes ago, jamesr said:

If Woody is going to tell his current GM / HC who he wants fired - why would any prospective HC with plenty options available to him want to come here?

Picture the interview like this ...

Payton: "Will I have complete autonomy over the coaching staff?"

Woody: "Sure ..."

Payton:

Woody: "... until I want to get rid of them"

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

This is literally the only answer to this thread.

Our franchise has been a joke for 10+ years and Woody is to blame of a LOT of it.  This is the first time we have had a GM who selected the HC  in years. Its the first time the HC has reported to the GM in years.  We finally have a football person running football operations and Woody Johnson, a person who hasnt accomplished a single thing of note in his entire life, is meddling in the offensive coaching staff as if he knows anything about football whatsoever.

If this rumor is true, not only should saleh dig his heals in, but if I was JD i would ask for my separation immediately.  He would immediately move to the top of the list for GM jobs and Saleh would probably wind up as the DC back in SF and have a new HC job in a year or 2 and they would both be out from under Woody Johnson, a man who has proven nothing in his life other then the FACT that he cant run an NFL team.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Leberfeld and Woody are both idiots, so this may have legs. 

Fans should want Saleh to “win” this one, if it’s actually happening. The idea to bring in a veteran, senior assistant on the offensive side of the ball is a very good one. The same one they had with Greg Knapp before his unfortunate passing. The constant turnover in this organization is a perpetual part of the the constant suck. If you’re going to keep hiring novices at GM, HC, and OC, you have to give them a chance to develop, too. 

I am not sure a baby sitter helps here.  If they were to keep MLF then I would much rather they go out and hire a respected QB coach AND a respected passing game coordinator so these respected coaches are more hands on.  An advisor gives advice doesnt mean its taken.

Rumor: <make something up here>

1. Rumor, ZW slept with Woody's wife and so he told MFL to make him look bad.

2. Rumor, MLF is really a spy for BB instructed to tank the Jets and their promising QB - when he is fired, BB will replace his even worse OC with MLF.

How often is this guy right. More importantly, whether MFL is fired or not, how will we know if the rumor is true. This crap is like fortune tellers - they make some logical guesses about what is going to happen and creates a rumor. If they are right, everyone calls them a genius; if they are wrong and in this case MFL stays, you still cannot prove him wrong.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Maybe woody thinks coaches are basically fungible and the players are what makes the difference

maybe but I think it goes deeper than that.  My theory is the coaching side of things requires more liquidity where as the player side is more of move x money from NFL to here type of thing and requires less liquidity...but I could be way off and he is just dumb...

10 minutes ago, slats said:

Leberfeld and Woody are both idiots, so this may have legs. 

Fans should want Saleh to “win” this one, if it’s actually happening. The idea to bring in a veteran, senior assistant on the offensive side of the ball is a very good one. The same one they had with Greg Knapp before his unfortunate passing. The constant turnover in this organization is a perpetual part of the the constant suck. If you’re going to keep hiring novices at GM, HC, and OC, you have to give them a chance to develop, too. 

Heres my problem with this, why does it take idiot Woody to demand change for it to happen, and not Saleh demanding change because the offense is not good enough?

My problem with Saleh is he brought in his buddies, and seems fine with whatever they do, rather than demanding better.

Both of them are incompetent IMO, Woody and Saleh

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

4 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

I am not sure a baby sitter helps here.  If they were to keep MLF then I would much rather they go out and hire a respected QB coach AND a respected passing game coordinator so these respected coaches are more hands on.  An advisor gives advice doesnt mean its taken.

I’d imagine someone brought in at the assistant head coach level, who would have his hands on the situation. Not simply an adviser to Saleh and LaFluer. There’s a lot about this offense I like, but it could use some help. 

Last year at this time, it was Ulbrich’s head that everyone wanted. Turns out the personnel just really sucked. Maybe we can judge the OC on a bit of a curve when he goes thru 3 LTs, 4 RGs, 4 RTs, loses his budding, super star RB, and, oh, also runs thru 4 QBs, most of whom are not good right now. 

• Upvote 4

Just now, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Heres my problem with this, why does it take idiot Woody to demand change for it to happen, and not Saleh demanding change because the offense is not good enough?

My problem with Saleh is he brought in his buddies, and seems fine with whatever they do, rather than demanding better.

Because saleh’s loyalty is to his friends and his objectives are to protect them rather than improve the jets. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Augustiniak said:

Because saleh’s loyalty is to his friends and his objectives are to protect them rather than improve the jets. 

Completely agree, which is why I want Saleh out. That mentality does not change or get better. Great HC's are cutthroat, with players and coaches, they don't really have friends, their loyalty is to winning. Its crystal clear Saleh doesn't have that mentality

11 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

They’ve said they’re filling the void left by the death of Knapp.  Knapp was to be the passing coordinator/QB coach.  

Just now, slats said:

I’d imagine someone brought in at the assistant head coach level, who would have his hands on the situation. Not simply an adviser to Saleh and LaFluer. There’s a lot about this offense I like, but it could use some help. 

Last year at this time, it was Ulbrich’s head that everyone wanted. Turns out the personnel just really sucked. Maybe we can judge the OC on a bit of a curve when he goes thru 3 LTs, 4 RGs, 4 RTs, loses his budding, super star RB, and, oh, also runs thru 4 QBs, most of whom are not good right now. 

With Ulbrich tho it took being the worst defense in football in 2021 to get the 4th pick which turns out to be unicorn, a former high pick in a contract year, and a high priced CB in FA to turn the defense around.  I do not think that was coaching but rather better players.

Same thing happen on offense with players like Breece and GW - without those 2 players this would have been an awful season.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Completely agree, which is why I want Saleh out. That mentality does not change or get better. Great HC's are cutthroat, with players and coaches, they don't really have friends, their loyalty is to winning. Its crystal clear Saleh doesn't have that mentality

Saleh and MLF were cooking up the excuses all season by blaming everything on wilson.  When white came in and beat the bears and had a ton of yards vs minny they thought they had everyone fooled.  But inevitably the crappy qbs, underuse of guys like moore, mims and carter, and crappy play calling did them in.  They used 4 qbs including strev the last 3 games and couldn’t muster a td.  They can no longer blame it all on wilson.  They can’t blame it on having no TEs.  Or wrs.  Any other hc would fire the OC even if he didn’t think it would matter.  

• Post of the Week 2

5 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

I want to see continuity with the staff. See my reply to sickjetfan above. There were a lot of issues on offense this year and laying them all at LaFluer’s feet would be dumb, imho, which clearly could mean that that’s exactly what Woody wants to do. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, SickJetFan said:

With Ulbrich tho it took being the worst defense in football in 2021 to get the 4th pick which turns out to be unicorn, a former high pick in a contract year, and a high priced CB in FA to turn the defense around.  I do not think that was coaching but rather better players.

Same thing happen on offense with players like Breece and GW - without those 2 players this would have been an awful season.

They added 2 of the best cbs in football, and that does matter.  On offense it’s mostly about the qb unfortunately. 

1 minute ago, SickJetFan said:

Yes, it’s true, players matter. They were decimated on offense this year on the OL and at QB. It’s amazing they won 7 games. 

45 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Exactly, the owner has every right to ask for changes after this debacle.  Has anyone here worked in business?

I’m not a Woody fan but the transition to blame Woody here is wrong.  He let Saleh hire his staff at the beginning and is now looking to correct a mistake if Saleh won’t do it himself.  Doesn’t mean he won’t let Saleh hire the next guy as long as it is someone with some experience.

Woody (who I can’t stand) is doing the right thing. Saleh is loyal to a fault with MLF because they’re very close friends. He’s been defending him ad nauseam when he’s indefensible . He should hire the right people rather than a close friends list. He’s learning on the job too.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, slats said:

I want to see continuity with the staff. See my reply to sickjetfan above. There were a lot of issues on offense this year and laying them all at LaFluer’s feet would be dumb, imho, which clearly could mean that that’s exactly what Woody wants to do. 

At least woody wants accountability.  I think saleh is more content to bring in a ‘senior advisor’ who they can brush aside next year with a veteran qb.  

If this were any other team the OC would be gone. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, slats said:

I want continuity with a staff who wants to win big, not a staff who wants to win if it can with a bunch of buddies and friends of friends.

I completely agree that this offense had a ton of problems, and the fan base and coaching staff tried to blame all of them on the 23 year old QB. When the offense is as incompetent as it is, there is plenty of blame to go around, OC, QB, players.

I don't think LaFleur is a good OC

1 minute ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

I want continuity with a staff who wants to win big, not a staff who wants to win if it can with a bunch of buddies and friends of friends.

I completely agree that this offense had a ton of problems, and the fan base and coaching staff tried to blame all of them on the 23 year old QB. When the offense is as incompetent as it is, there is plenty of blame to go around, OC, QB, players.

I don't think LaFleur is a good OC

What happens next season if they bring in garropollo and the offense is still not scoring tds?  Who gets the blame then?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Saleh and MLF were cooking up the excuses all season by blaming everything on wilson.  When white came in and beat the bears and had a ton of yards vs minny they thought they had everyone fooled.  But inevitably the crappy qbs, underuse of guys like moore, mims and carter, and crappy play calling did them in.  They used 4 qbs including strev the last 3 games and couldn’t muster a td.  They can no longer blame it all on wilson.  They can’t blame it on having no TEs.  Or wrs.  Any other hc would fire the OC even if he didn’t think it would matter.  

Spot on. The Mike Fing White T shirts was as bs as it comes from this team. Everyone ate it up becaue they hated ZW, but that was as bad of leadership as I have seen, and it backfired miserably and showed the true colors. 

The stance most of this board had was all you need is a QB who isnt the worst of all time, and this is a SB level team. It was dead wrong. Wilson was terrible, but so was the offense.

• Upvote 2