Rumor: Woody Wants LaFleur, Offensive Staff, LaFired

2 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Spot on. The Mike Fing White T shirts was as bs as it comes from this team. Everyone ate it up becaue they hated ZW, but that was as bad of leadership as I have seen, and it backfired miserably and showed the true colors. 

The stance most of this board had was all you need is a QB who isnt the worst of all time, and this is a SB level team. It was dead wrong. Wilson was terrible, but so was the offense.

The shirts were the pinnacle of the internal propaganda campaign against ZW.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

I want continuity with a staff who wants to win big, not a staff who wants to win if it can with a bunch of buddies and friends of friends.

I completely agree that this offense had a ton of problems, and the fan base and coaching staff tried to blame all of them on the 23 year old QB. When the offense is as incompetent as it is, there is plenty of blame to go around, OC, QB, players.

I don't think LaFleur is a good OC

A couple more offensive linemen who can stay on the field and a competent QB, and this team would’ve easily just went from 4-12 to the playoffs. They didn’t have either. I’m gonna give all my second year guys a chance here. By all means, bring in another veteran voice -in the form of coach and QB, please- but I’m gonna hold onto LaFluer. It’s not just that he’s Saleh’s bud, but also that he’s running a very thoroughly, time-tested system that he prefers on offense. 

Jet fans love complaining about the same ol’ Jets and then beg them to do same ol’ Jets things year after year. Cleaning any portion of the house would be a big mistake, imho. Breece Hall was looking like a lock for OROY before he got hurt. Garrett Wilson was in the conversation, setting rookie receiving records for the team with that OL and those QBs. They have some pieces in place, and the fundamentals of this offense in place (which took over a year to implement, I might add). This constant churn is a big reason why the team constantly sucks, but then we ask for more of it and have a weak, impulsive owner who’s more than happy to cater to the mob of the day. It’s a great combination for success. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

11 hours ago, k-met57 said:

this was always going to be the case with Saleh. I keep saying the same thing over and over....Saleh was the best man at MLF's brothers wedding...does Saleh seem like the type of dude who would fire that kind of a close friend? If anything Saleh to me seems like the type who would quit his own job before doing that.

question is, can they convince Woody to give it another shot with a very highly regarded QB fixer.

^I'll bet this is very close to correct.  Knowing Woody, he's going to cave.  

FWIW, if the report is true (dubious source?) ,I'm with Woody on this.  MLF should be demoted/dumped and bring in a new OC and let him pick the staff. 

14 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

I dont like the injury excuse as every team has injuries.  The offense was too predictable just ask GW.

Meh, I don’t like scapegoats. I know that puts me in the minority here as Jet fans always seem to be demanding a pound of flesh from someone. Last year it was Ulbrich, that looks like it would’ve been a mistake right around now. 

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

^I'll bet this is very close to correct.  Knowing Woody, he's going to cave.  

FWIW, if the report is true (dubious source?) ,I'm with Woody on this.  MLF should be demoted/dumped and bring in a new OC and let him pick the staff. 

as he should. the optics of losing the entire coaching staff are bad for doing business.

that being said MLF has no say in this, he needs an adult to make sure he doesnt **** it up again next year.

32 minutes ago, slats said:

I’d imagine someone brought in at the assistant head coach level, who would have his hands on the situation. Not simply an adviser to Saleh and LaFluer. There’s a lot about this offense I like, but it could use some help. 

Last year at this time, it was Ulbrich’s head that everyone wanted. Turns out the personnel just really sucked. Maybe we can judge the OC on a bit of a curve when he goes thru 3 LTs, 4 RGs, 4 RTs, loses his budding, super star RB, and, oh, also runs thru 4 QBs, most of whom are not good right now. 

Exactly this!!! We as a fan base seem to forget that when MFW (who is not all that) was moving the offense we heard not a peep from wide receivers or anyone else as guys were that open when Wilson was QB were open but Zach couldn’t get them the ball were still open with the same scheme and finally getting the ball with White

Bring in a respected experienced offensive mind that can help MLF develop his offensive attack and a competent QB the Jets will be a playoff contender. There’s a lot of talent on this roster not to be 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Exactly this!!! We as a fan base seem to forget that when MFW (who is not all that) was moving the offense we heard not a peep from wide receivers or anyone else as guys were that open when Wilson was QB were open but Zach couldn’t get them the ball were still open with the same scheme and finally getting the ball with White

Bring in a respected experienced offensive mind that can help MLF develop his offensive attack and a competent QB the Jets will be a playoff contender. There’s a lot of talent on this roster not to be 

Please don't throw darts at me but Jason Garrett?

A few days ago I threw out Schurmer but some thought he might not come back to ny.

I guess the balance here is you need someone experienced and who understands the role. Kind of rules out the young and upcoming guys and within the veterans limits the field based on who wants to be a HC and not assistant.

McAdoo also comes to mind, again strictly from an assistant perspective and not grooming as a Saleh replacement. 

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I want to replace LaFleur with someone more experienced but I agree with this. Not this way. It just continues the cycle I thought we were heading out of.

There’s nothing wrong with an owner wanting changes to certain coaching positions if the results suck.  

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

There’s nothing wrong with an owner wanting changes to certain coaching positions if the results suck.  

The problem is the optics of it and your future ability to bring in good football guys. If they think they're just going to be overridden by some dufus owner who doesn't know anything and they have options, they choose elsewhere. Coaches/GMs who are good will always have options.

I'd rather see Woody let his football guys make the football decisions like he supposedly did when he gave JD control of the coaching staff. These guys have a longer term plan they're trying to install and for better or worse Woody should let that play out. If it fails, at least they have failed on their own accord and future potential hires will see the owner as someone willing to let things play out.

Obviously as the owner he can do whatever he wants. It's just there are repercussions to doing so.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I hope Saleh digs that ******* trench deep.  This whole Woody fires the offensive staff screams of the same sh*t he has been ******* up with since he got here.  Force the offensive staff on Rex.  Fire the GM, but force Rex on the new guy.  Force Gregg Williams on Gase, then force the spy father in law Vitt on Williams.  Let the guy pick his staff.  If you can't live with it, fire him.  Otherwise shut the **** up and live with the consequences.

And those consequences are a losing 2023 season, no doubt.  Followed by a complete reboot of the entire FO and CS.  Yipeee.  Can't wait.

9 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. A steady, competent quarterback changes everything for this offense.

The Shanahan system works fine in San Francisco and Green Bay. It can work well here.

Bashing LaFleur is the hot topic right now. I truly hope Woody sees the forest for the trees and doesn't force a rash decision. There were so many instances this season where plays were there to be made but the execution failed.

This time last year everyone wanted Ulbrich fired. Everyone loves a good scapegoat.

Just having the system in place does not guarantee success, you need to have the right play caller.  MLF seems to lack situational awareness and it gets a bit frustrating watching the team line up in an empty set shotgun on 3rd and 1 every single time.   

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The problem is the optics of it and your future ability to bring in good football guys. If they think they're just going to be overridden by some dufus owner who doesn't know anything and they have options, they choose elsewhere.

I'd rather see Woody let his football guys make the football decisions like he supposedly did when he gave JD control of the coaching staff.

Obviously as the owner he can do whatever he wants. It's just there are repercussions to doing so.

I agree.  However, in this case you have a hc who may not be making decisions for what’s best for the team, but rather, for his friends in high coaching positions.  

Again, there’s nothing wrong with woody being pissed about how the season ended and wanting changes to offensive coaches.  He just saw geno smith beat them and no doubt had been told by prior coaching regimes that smith would never amount to anything.  Now he’s in the playoffs and the pro bowl.  So maybe woody finally isn’t buying everything that the coaches tell him. 

Just now, Augustiniak said:

I agree.  However, in this case you have a hc who may not be making decisions for what’s best for the team, but rather, for his friends in high coaching positions.  

Again, there’s nothing wrong with woody being pissed about how the season ended and wanting changes to offensive coaches.  He just saw geno smith beat them and no doubt had been told by prior coaching regimes that smith would never amount to anything.  Now he’s in the playoffs and the pro bowl.  So maybe woody finally isn’t buying everything that the coaches tell him. 

To be fair we don't know the details. People will give their hot take speculation but it's just that, speculation. maybe Saleh is digging in just because LaFluer is his friend. Maybe he's digging in because he had a 4 year plan and he's seeing that plan play out and believes cutting bait on that plan is a mistake.

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

To be fair we don't know the details. People will give their hot take speculation but it's just that, speculation. maybe Saleh is digging in just because LaFluer is his friend. Maybe he's digging in because he had a 4 year plan and he's seeing that plan play out and believes cutting bait on that plan is a mistake.

True we don’t know details.  I’m just going by what was in that Lombardi tweet.  I think it’s good that woody is pissed and wants changes.  We all do too.  The question is how will he go about it. 

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The problem is the optics of it and your future ability to bring in good football guys. If they think they're just going to be overridden by some dufus owner who doesn't know anything and they have options, they choose elsewhere. Coaches/GMs who are good will always have options.

I'd rather see Woody let his football guys make the football decisions like he supposedly did when he gave JD control of the coaching staff. These guys have a longer term plan they're trying to install and for better or worse Woody should let that play out. If it fails, at least they have failed on their own accord and future potential hires will see the owner as someone willing to let things play out.

but in this case, it would be the doofus owner overiding the super-doofus HC who is too blind to see how bad MLF is because he's a buddy, you know?

I'll ride with the doofus owner over the doofus HC in getting rid of the HC's good buddy, the beyond-doofus if possible OC.  

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, jgb said:

You get the quality of employees you budget for

Budget doesn't seem to have much to do with it for Woody.  Saleh and his cronies seem like they're compensated quite well.  It's just that Woody and Douglas got duped and the franchise ended up overpaying for a bunch of babysitters, it seems.

I never really thought of Woody as being super cheap.  Just incompetent.  I think he'd go "big game hunting" for a coach if any coach worth a damn wanted to come here from the outset.  Rhule was a top choice here in 2019, after all; he wouldn't have come cheap.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

but in this case, it would be the doofus owner overiding the super-doofus HC who is too blind to see how bad MLF is because he's a buddy, you know?

I'll ride with the doofus owner over the doofus HC in getting rid of the HC's good buddy, the beyond-doofus if possible OC.  

If he is such a blind doofus, then ******* fire him.  I get that you don't like LaFleur.  Letting Woody make that decision is a ******* abomination.  Worse it is a continuation of the same stupidity that the guy has been flashing around for the last decade.  You know the decade we keep hearing the Jets have not made the playoffs.  If you want to fire everybody I get it.  I don't agree, but there are reasons.  There are reasons to get rid of LaFleur, but that does not mean that Woody should get to force the move. 

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, slats said:

Meh, I don’t like scapegoats. I know that puts me in the minority here as Jet fans always seem to be demanding a pound of flesh from someone. Last year it was Ulbrich, that looks like it would’ve been a mistake right around now. 

not so sure it was a mistake...he was saved by being the worst and by JD...monkey can run his defense.  I think he just a figure head anyway as Saleh is no doubt more hands on with defense.

MLF also lucked out too a bit because if they didnt suck so bad in 2021 there would have been no Breece and w/o Breece even you would be calling for his head about now.

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

If he is such a blind doofus, then ******* fire him.  I get that you don't like LaFleur.  Letting Woody make that decision is a ******* abomination.  Worse it is a continuation of the same stupidity that the guy has been flashing around for the last decade.  You know the decade we keep hearing the Jets have not made the playoffs.  If you want to fire everybody I get it.  I don't agree, but there are reasons.  There are reasons to get rid of LaFleur, but that does not mean that Woody should get to force the move. 

Then dump all 3.  Jets fans do not want 2023 to be a redo of 2022 and keeping all 3 brings us right there.