Fields vs wilson

kmnj

If the jets picked fields like many suggested the jets would have been in the playoffs and a fairly dangerous team once there . Do you have faith in Joe to get us the qb we need to compete? During his tenure picked Morgan Wilson White Joe F and Strev . I don’t have any confidence at all in Joe finding us a QB. I give Joe tons of credit for some guys he got last draft but his Wilson pick cost 3-5 years 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 4
  • WTF? 1

I thought fields was a guy not to worry about missing out on until that run a month ago where he was flying. Even Tyreek commented on it lol. 
I looked into it this week and it’s ******* depressing. He’s going to be special. He has nothing around him, it’s actual garbage.  I bet the bears trade back a couple times and build around him. If you want to get a headache look what that QB school guy think’s about him. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 2

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Fields was 10th-worst in passer rating (85.2), but his DVOA of -34.5% was worst by a lot—Matt Ryan was next-worst at -22.5%. This one's easy to explain: passer rating does not include sacks, and Fields took a league-high 55 of them (tied with Russell Wilson) despite ranking 27th in pass attempts. Fields' sack rate of 14.7% was worst for any qualifying quarterback in a quarter-century, since Jake Plummer in 1997.Fields averaged 7.1 yards per throw, which was actually better than average, but only 5.2 yards per dropback; only Joe Flacco was worse.

Mega. Superstar.

Rope of garlic around my neck to ward off vampires: Yes, I am aware Zach Wilson is terrible. I agree.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

If the jets picked fields like many suggested the jets would have been in the playoffs and a fairly dangerous team once there . Do you have faith in Joe to get us the qb we need to compete? During his tenure picked Morgan Wilson White Joe F and Strev . I don’t have any confidence at all in Joe finding us a QB. I give Joe tons of credit for some guys he got last draft but his Wilson pick cost 3-5 years 

I have a problem with your premiss - it is impossible to know how Fields would have done with the lack of couching, injured OL and MLF's refusal (or inability) to game plan around the strength of the QB and the weakness of the D.

• Upvote 2

Fields would’ve been great for this year and given us some hope for the future.

I think the whole premise of a mobile QB is he  raises the team’s floor and the ceiling depends on how well he develops as a passer.

We’ve seen Fields’ mobility is good enough the Jets’ offense would’ve been more productive with him than Wilson. It’s also clear he’s not developed yet as a passer.

I think Fields would’ve meant playoffs this year and likely something no team really wanted to play but a good defense would’ve handled fine - QB’s who aren’t winning from the pocket don’t kill it in the playoffs.

But would’ve meant for a fun year and, especially seeing how Hurts progressed for Philly last year to this year, we could’ve dreamt on the development as a passer a little.

Douglas ultimately swung out of his shoes with Wilson and was dead wrong. He talked last offseason about learning from other teams and how they built offenses with playmakers instead of just linemen.

Both quarterbacks he’s taken have been guys with arm talent and competitiveness. That’s not enough. Dudes need to be able to manage the pocket and deal with pressure. Full stop. That’s at least as difficult to improve as arm strength and accuracy and at least as important as either individually. I hope he takes a serious look at his process and comes to that conclusion, or if not that he doesn’t get another opportunity to invest significantly in a prospect.

• Upvote 3

I can’t think of many QB’s I wouldn’t try over Wilson at this point. I think Zach needs one of the best offensive lines in football to provide him the protection he needs to feel safe so he doesn’t get hit (let alone sacked). I don’t know if his fear of getting hit comes from just being too pretty and thinking if his face gets messed up none of his Mom’s MILF friends won’t sleep with him anymore or if there is some other reason. It doesn’t really matter what the reason is but it explains why he runs around backwards in circles to avoid anyone instead of scrambling forward towards where he will definitely get hit.

You could argue that at least his strong self-preservation instinct will keep him from getting hurt like MW did standing in the pocket too long . . . but then you remember that Zach hurt himself worse and missed more games than MW when he scrambled and nobody actually hit him.

• WTF? 1

Fields also had absolutely no one to throw to.  I’m not really impressed with him as a thrower but he’s a much better player than Zach.

probably would have 2-3 more wins with fields at qb - though he did miss a few games due to injury. 

if I could go back, I’d take fields.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

149 yards per game.  Worse than Wilson.

His GM wouldn’t commit to not drafting another QB in his presser.

Wilson wont cost 3-5 years, we’ll have an established QB next year.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, JiFields said:

The unbelievable amount of Fields haters is awesome on this forum.  Eerily similar to the Josh Allen is RB takes/threads.  They make for epic bumps!  

If I’m wrong I’ll own it. But Josh Allen is the exception of all exceptions. It would be like drafting the current UF QB and hoping he turns into Josh Allen too.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Esquire said:

I think Wilson is afraid of the pass rush and as a result he misses easy passes and throws interceptions.  He doesn't see the field while in panic mode.

While Fields has yet to develop a refined passing game he is unafraid it appears.  He will take the hits and has the size to survive them.  I don't think Wilson can be salvaged.  

Fields would have given them a better chance to win IMO.

He has already been hurt more than once this yr. Him taking hits regardless if he figures out how to throw the ball will always be an issue. Same with Lamar Jackson but Ill take Jackson in a second this offseason. 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If I’m wrong I’ll own it. But Josh Allen is the exception of all exceptions. It would be like drafting the current UF QB and hoping he turns into Josh Allen too.

I mean, but Fields is ahead of where Allen was in year 2.

Reality is, and I know this board for a plethora of reason denies it but Fields is one of the biggest outliers in league history.  You never, ever, see a player rise above the dysfunction and lack of talent that surrounds him and yet still ascend to superstar status the way Justin Fields has this year.  It just doesnt happen, ever.  Especially the way you've seen Justin Fields do it this season. His 9 game stretch was nothing short of amazing considering the circumstances.  His team was literally tearing everything down while he rose above it and balled the F out in historic fashion, nobody has ever done what Justin Fields did this year, let me repeat, nobody has ever done what Justin Fields did this year.  Anything Allen did in year 2 that you could make that claim?  The answer is no, fyi.  

If you compare the players second year in the league, Fields was simply a better player in year 2 of their careers, especially when you consider the fact he plays on the worst team in Football that was descending around him on his 2nd coaching staff, while Josh Allen was on one of the best teams in the NFL ascending w/ an entire staff returning and one of the best OC/QB coaches in the NFL in Daboll.   

Not every day you see a player do something that has never happened in the NFL and a bunch of dudes who apparently know Football continue to hate.

• Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, kmnj said:

Comparing Zach to any qb the other guy will win. That’s not a huge accomplishment. Field has 16 fumbles and 11 picks this year alone with a 60 comp %. Has he been better than Zach? Sure, but he has not been good either. They have the #1 pick in the draft and we’re down in almost every game. This leads to lots of garbage time stats 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, JiFields said:

Reality is, and I know this board for a plethora of reason denies it but Fields is one of the biggest outliers in league history.  You never, ever, see a player rise above the dysfunction and lack of talent that surrounds him and yet still ascend to superstar status the way Justin Fields has this year.  It just doesnt happen, ever.  Especially the way you've seen Justin Fields do it this season. His 9 game stretch was nothing short of amazing considering the circumstances.  His team was literally tearing everything down while he rose above it and balled the F out in historic fashion, nobody has ever done what Justin Fields did this year, let me repeat, nobody has ever done what Justin Fields did this year.  Anything Allen did in year 2 that you could make that claim?  The answer is no, fyi.  

If you compare the players second year in the league, Fields was simply a better player in year 2 of their careers, especially when you consider the fact he plays on the worst team in Football that was descending around him on his 2nd coaching staff, while Josh Allen was on one of the best teams in the NFL ascending w/ an entire staff returning and one of the best OC/QB coaches in the NFL in Daboll.   

Not every day you see a player do something that has never happened in the NFL and a bunch of dudes who apparently know Football continue to hate.

I have no idea what Fields WILL BE in this league. But one thing that I do know is guys that have a tendency to leave the pocket as much as he does, tend to have shortened and injury prone careers. Look at what Lamar Jackson is now. Look at what Kyler Murray is now. Jalen Hurts has shown the same proclivity. Injury prone and not reliable to start 16 games. And Wilson fits that bill too. 

Again, I was a big Fields advocate. pre-draft also.

My biggest concern with this offense (and QB talent is a HUGE one), is the offensive coordination. Players seem unprepared. Assignments are continually missed. And except for a brief 3-4 games in early, mid season, the play calling string did not seem to have any cohesion.

One play never seemed to set up the next play. MLF was hamstrung for sure by Wilson, and would rarely open a drive with a pass, because we know jitters  and yips, but there just was no seeming of setting up a defense. 

Rant over.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, JiFields said:

Please explain Andrew Luck 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

149 yards per game.  Worse than Wilson.

His GM wouldn’t commit to not drafting another QB in his presser.

Wilson wont cost 3-5 years, we’ll have an established QB next year.  

you are only judging one part of his game and he has by far the worst wrs in football and he gm has the first pick he wants to maximize trade value they are not getting rid of him

27 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I could live with these threads if Fields was like Herbert or Mahomes or Lamar.  I just can't feel bad about not drafting this kid....even if we had Fields I'd still be looking at upcoming drafts and future QB prospects.   

Fields will be better than Lamar 

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 2