Jump to content

Has the Era of Pats Dominance Ended and Bills Dominance Started?


Recommended Posts

I think this season, the way it ended has a significance in that the Bills beat the Pats in a way that the Pats looked unprepared. Letting a team return a KO for a TD happenens but twice in one game? That is the definition  of being unprepared to play and that was never something with a BB coached team. Has the game passed BB by? I know they are scapegoating Joe Judge but this last game was a total breakdown.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it may be as simple as when they each changed their QB’s they each changed their destinies. Now that our playoff hopes are over once more for the twelve year in a row, I will be getting ready to follow the Yankees and baseball. I think of it in baseball terms, one team lost their veteran ace pitcher and the other team got a new young ace pitcher. Since we never seem to be able to successfully draft or trade for an ace pitcher we never get into the playoffs.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Gen X Jet said:

Bills have this year.  Cap hell starts next year.  Remember, Pats and Brady had the shady TB12 deal where he took massive pay cuts to support bringing in FAs.

Genuinely interested in what makes you say this about the Bills cap situation.  They have Josh Allen locked up on what looks like a very reasonable deal now ($43 million AAV for a top 3 NFL QB).  Their only big free agents are Poyer, Saffold, and Tremaine Edmunds (who I think the Jets should make a run at).  While they don't have a ton of cap space, their team is pretty much set up with the players they already have under contract.  What am I missing?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

Genuinely interested in what makes you say this about the Bills cap situation.  They have Josh Allen locked up on what looks like a very reasonable deal now ($43 million AAV for a top 3 NFL QB).  Their only big free agents are Poyer, Saffold, and Tremaine Edmunds (who I think the Jets should make a run at).  While they don't have a ton of cap space, their team is pretty much set up with the players they already have under contract.  What am I missing?

This years cap hit was $16 mil. Next year it’s $39 mil and goes up from there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I think this season, the way it ended has a significance in that the Bills beat the Pats in a way that the Pats looked unprepared. Letting a team return a KO for a TD happenens but twice in one game? That is the definition  of being unprepared to play and that was never something with a BB coached team. Has the game passed BB by? I know they are scapegoating Joe Judge but this last game was a total breakdown.  

First, the Bills supplanted the Patriots three years ago.  The last two years have been reaffirming the current state of the AFC East.

Second, the kickoff returns were not being unprepared.  The unit is straight up badly coached.  Tomato; tomatoe I know.   It has been a  problem the last two years.  That Cam Achord is still employed is troubling.  I am hoping he takes a job somewhere else and Joe Judge slides back into the position.  

Last, "has the game passed Bill by"?  No.  He is still a good coach.  Now, his other responsibilities you can question.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PFSIKH said:

First, the Bills supplanted the Patriots three years ago.  The last two years have been reaffirming the current state of the AFC East.

Second, the kickoff returns were not being unprepared.  The unit is straight up badly coached.  Tomato; tomatoe I know.   It has been a  problem the last two years.  That Cam Achord is still employed is troubling.  I am hoping he takes a job somewhere else and Joe Judge slides back into the position.  

Last, "has the game passed Bill by"?  No.  He is still a good coach.  Now, his other responsibilities you can question.  

The Pats won 11 games last season and made the playoffs. The difference  is Jones got worse and the team literally  had no passing game without McDaniels. The writing  on the wall may have been there but the collapse happened this season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This happened 3 years ago. The good news is that fortunately, the Bills are at their peak (pre-Allen contract kicking in), and the Jets have proven they can beat them straight up. They never beat the Patriots. So the good news is that these Bills are nothing like the Patriots that reigned supreme for 20 years.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bills are good but a difference is that the jets and miami are not utterly terrible.  The pats long long dynasty was part their great qb and coaching and partly that for 20 years the afc east usually had one semi decent team building, one really bad team and one putrid team.  Buffalo, Miami and the jets just took turns one who was who.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I think this season, the way it ended has a significance in that the Bills beat the Pats in a way that the Pats looked unprepared. Letting a team return a KO for a TD happenens but twice in one game? That is the definition  of being unprepared to play and that was never something with a BB coached team. Has the game passed BB by? I know they are scapegoating Joe Judge but this last game was a total breakdown.  

Yea but unless Josh Allen turns into a once in a lifetime GOAT level QB....and the BIlls hire Ernie Adams....they won't have the same stranglehold the Pats had for 2 decades...

Josh Allen's contract will eventually bloat up, and guys like Diggs will meet father time eventually 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Gen X Jet said:

Bills have this year.  Cap hell starts next year.  Remember, Pats and Brady had the shady TB12 deal where he took massive pay cuts to support bringing in FAs.

Exactly.  QB pay as a percent of salary cap has been increasing significantly.  No team won a Super Bowl with more than 12% allocated to the QB.  Brady won his in the range of 4-12 % if I remember correctly.

Teams are starting to approach 17-18%.

We’ll see if Mahomes can get it done without Hill.

Then we’ll see how far Allen can get with a weaker team around him.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I think this season, the way it ended has a significance in that the Bills beat the Pats in a way that the Pats looked unprepared. Letting a team return a KO for a TD happenens but twice in one game? That is the definition  of being unprepared to play and that was never something with a BB coached team. Has the game passed BB by? I know they are scapegoating Joe Judge but this last game was a total breakdown.  

jim carrey disbelief GIF

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, carlito1171 said:

Yea but unless Josh Allen turns into a once in a lifetime GOAT level QB....and the BIlls hire Ernie Adams....they won't have the same stranglehold the Pats had for 2 decades...

Josh Allen's contract will eventually bloat up, and guys like Diggs will meet father time eventually 

Safe to bet against any team having such a run. It was unprecedented.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

The Pats won 11 games last season and made the playoffs. The difference  is Jones got worse and the team literally  had no passing game without McDaniels. The writing  on the wall may have been there but the collapse happened this season. 

The Patriots won 10.  Their best win needed the assistance of 40 MPH winds to slow Josh Allen down.

We can agree the offense was the issue.  Do not get me wrong.  Special Teams has been bad.  It likely cost the team a game or two. 

The Patriots were never going to replace McDaniels, but Bill's effort was pathetic.  Mac had bad games (Raiders).  He was inconsistent during the year, but all things being equal.  He overcame a sh*tshow.  

Mac has not earned to have his 5th year option picked up.  Nor an extension.  He was not the issue.  He contributed to a degree, but it was the coaching.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

The Patriots won 10.  Their best win needed the assistance of 40 MPH winds to slow Josh Allen down.

We can agree the offense was the issue.  Do not get me wrong.  Special Teams has been bad.  It likely cost the team a game or two. 

The Patriots were never going to replace McDaniels, but Bill's effort was pathetic.  Mac had bad games (Raiders).  He was inconsistent during the year, but all things being equal.  He overcame a sh*tshow.  

Mac has not earned to have his 5th year option picked up.  Nor an extension.  He was not the issue.  He contributed to a degree, but it was the coaching.  

I wish our good years were as good as your down years. Happy New Year pal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, extmenace said:

It’s funny what a top 5 QB can do to a franchise. With that being said, while JA is great, we’ve yet to see the clutch gene show itself for the bills. The pats almost always found a way to win. The bills haven’t done that yet.

They didn't win, but that playoff game last year with the Chiefs was about as clutch as it gets. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Gen X Jet said:

Bills have this year.  Cap hell starts next year.  Remember, Pats and Brady had the shady TB12 deal where he took massive pay cuts to support bringing in FAs.

Maybe Josh Allen will start selling "supplements" to the Bills for a large sum that doesn't count towards the cap too.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...