Ryan Jensen - Cap Casualty?

BCJet

Although he seems to grade out ok at the end of the year, I think the line has struggled in large part to McGovern not being in control as a center should be.  We have had communication issues for the past 3 seasons and he doesnt seem to elevate the play of those around him on the OL at all.  We have also had a rookie/young QB behind center for 3 years and we dont seem to get the stunt calls right far too often.

This draft is pretty good at center, but if we want to draft a developmental center, one option to solidify the line in 2023 could be Ryan Jensen.  He has been injured this year but should be back for the wild card game this weekend.  He was signed to an extension last year but the Bucs are $40+ million over the cap and potentially looking at a rebuild if (when) Brady walks.  Jensen is a legit center who will be 32 at the start of next season. He has a cap hit of $12 million in 2023 and $11 in 2024 but no guaranteed money in 2024.  He seems like the type of tough-nosed, seasoned center that this OL needs and we could offer tampa a 4th/5h round pick to alleviate that salary from them and in turn get a 1-2 year rental at a very important position. 

For comparison McGovern's cap hit was $9 million for this year, so we would be getting a big upgrade at the position for a $3 million difference while being able to draft and develop a center to take over in either 2023 or 2024

• Upvote 1

I’m all for bringing in a veteran center, but I’d already be working on developing Herbig there. He was playing some center with some good reports before being let go by the Eagles. First order of business should be one sturdy, versatile, starting caliber OT. That’s where I’d be more interested in laying down some cash. 

• Upvote 4

• 3 weeks later...

With the Brady news, this becomes even more of an option for the Jets - Licht is solid enough in his role as GM that he can punt 2023, clean house with Bowles and go into the 2024 draft with a new HC and a top 3 pick with Caleb and Drake Maye as the top QBs.

We yap a ton about the offensive line, but we are switching OC, offensive line coach/run game coordinator.  Guys that fit the last two years might not fit so great.  I read the Titan offense referred to as "Shanahan adjacent," but still they might have different likes.  Guys they had success with like Nate Davis, Dennis Kelly, Rodger Saffold and others are free agents and probably won't be too spendy.   Some of them have some age on them, but I think guys Carter likes to work with will be a consideration especially when you consider cheaper FAs.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

We yap a ton about the offensive line, but we are switching OC, offensive line coach/run game coordinator.  Guys that fit the last two years might not fit so great.  I read the Titan offense referred to as "Shanahan adjacent," but still they might have different likes.  Guys they had success with liek Nate Davis, Dennis Kelly, Rodger Saffold and others are free agents and probably won't be too spendy.   Some of them have some age on them, but I think guys Carter likes to work with will be a consideration especially when you consider cheaper FAs.

Totally agree on scheme but I think jensen is good enough to run power and any scheme that doesnt need to him be an A+ athlete as he is definitely above average and an excellent pass blocker.

I'm on board for any upgrades that feasible along the OL.  Definitely would love a stud Center, as I've said before, it seems all historic Jets OL's had a great Center.  That said, Keith Carter is a factor in this equation.  Dude has done a really good job of getting the most out his depth.  If I'm not mistaken, the Titans started a record number of OLmen last year on their way to a 12-5 record and were still top 5 in rushing yards, like they've been every year since he was hired in Tenn. 

17 hours ago, BCJet said:

With the Brady news, this becomes even more of an option for the Jets - Licht is solid enough in his role as GM that he can punt 2023, clean house with Bowles and go into the 2024 draft with a new HC and a top 3 pick with Caleb and Drake Maye as the top QBs.

Think that's what the JETS might be doing come 2024 as well... Would love to see Drake Maye in Green and White...

My feeling aren't good on the Hack hire, so not sure how this is all going to turn out. I'm also not a big fan of giving it all away for some rental at QB. I don't know anymore, cause I've stopped worrying about it actually...

10 hours ago, BCJet said:

Totally agree on scheme but I think jensen is good enough to run power and any scheme that doesnt need to him be an A+ athlete as he is definitely above average and an excellent pass blocker.

Yeah.  My comment was not regarding whether Jensen was a viable target so much as we may be seeing moves we don't expect with the new staff.  Then again, maybe Douglas will make them take what they get and don't get upset.

1 hour ago, JiFields said:

I'm on board for any upgrades that feasible along the OL.  Definitely would love a stud Center, as I've said before, it seems all historic Jets OL's had a great Center.  That said, Keith Carter is a factor in this equation.  Dude has done a really good job of getting the most out his depth.  If I'm not mistaken, the Titans started a record number of OLmen last year on their way to a 12-5 record and were still top 5 in rushing yards, like they've been every year since he was hired in Tenn. 

He did very well in the run game, but not so much with pass protection.  I am assuming they will have some kind of "passing game coordinator" to work on that.  Interesting thing when I looked back for FA targets is that a bunch of guys the Titans had when they were rolling are FAs, but they are also older.  Guys like Kelly and David Quessenberry are journeymen that had success with Carter.  Quessenberry is consistently listed as a guard, but I think he played a decent amount of RT for the Titans and then the Bills last year.  I will be interested if they go for any of these guys cheap or if they pass based on age.  Not going to break the bank for them, but certainly preferable to Remmers. 

Also will be interesting to see if any of these older vets want to come work for Carter.  Lewan said the vets were not happy because he hammered them so hard in practice and beat up their bodies.  He blamed that for many of the injuries.  He supposedly drove everybody super hard in practice.  Some said that made them finish the season stronger, others that they had a ton of injuries because of it.  Lewan did say he got better about it as time went on, but that he came on as a crazy dictator when he first got there.  Carter also did not seem to have much success with developing the younger guys.  Radunz and Isaiah Wilson seem like total busts.  Petit-Frere did not grade well.  Maybe he is just better working on the run game and with guys inside because Nate Davis developed pretty well and Radunz supposedly was showing promise after moving inside.

seems like there's going to be a lot of cap casualties this off season.  i know cap space is easily maneuverable but i don't recall seeing so many teams this far over the cap.

saints over 57m
tampa over 55m
jags over 32m
titans over 23m
vikings over 21m
bills over 20m
chargers over 19m
packers over 17m
rams over 15m
browns over 14m

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, heymangold said:

seems like there's going to be a lot of cap casualties this off season.  i know cap space is easily maneuverable but i don't recall seeing so many teams this far over the cap.

saints over 57m
tampa over 55m
jags over 32m
titans over 23m
vikings over 21m
bills over 20m
chargers over 19m
packers over 17m
rams over 15m
browns over 14m

The saints cap is such a mess that I cannot believe what im reading - how can you have Taysom Hill with a $9+ million guaranteed salary in 2023?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

For those of you who listen to Pods, Joel Corry, a sports agent / cap expert, recently highlighted the Bucs situation in his semi-regular spot on the RTFP.

Basically, Tampa is finally screwed with their cap situation.

The bills are finally coming due, after they sold out kicking the can down the road with Brady and other high-priced vets with "voidable years" in order to "keep the band together".

From what he was saying, it's an unmitigated disaster.  They have real problems.

• Upvote 1

Spotrac has CM highly rated with a MV of $12.5mm, more than his current contract.  

He is a solid center.

CM's contract was another 8 figure JD deal with the "flexibility" to cut him after 2 years.  We have not exercised that right on CM or Fant, or Rankins, and we have to see about Lawson and Corey Davis.   

The Grand Scheme  was to draft and develop a player to replace CM after two years.  Instead JD drafted CBs, S and LBs who are not starting either.   If we want to "settle" for CM he will cost $12.5mm x 2 guaranteed, on top of the QB JD thinks he is signing.  

Otherwise we sign a C who costs less (hopefully not Feeney) and is likely less good or be forced to use a draft pick for one.  I think the forced draft picks for Centers tend to work out pretty cost effectively, even if it violates the BPA rule.