Lafleur has NOT been fired!! (merged title references unsubstantiated claim. please refrain from hilarious parody threads)

Matt39

Just now, chirorob said:

Yes, I have never corrected staff in front of patients, it's always in the back.   I will tell staff I made a mistake, not them, in front of patients.

I was getting a root canal done back in the late 90’s, and I was referred to this guy by my dentist. I’m in the waiting room and this kid calls my name and I’m like “what’s up there young fella where’s the doctor?” He’s like “I’m the doctor!”

anyways, he was yelling at the girl helping him work on me right in front of me. I Thought it was very unprofessional.

You're doing it right!

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think this goes too far. He’s an immature rich kid from Utah with personality issues whose reps seemingly negotiated a sweetheart deal to come in and usurp a new, sh*tty coaching staff’s authority from day one. Now he’s ruined and the entire project is on DEFCON 4 because of the accommodations they made to a kid quarterback who’s melted down under the bright lights. 

It must be exhausting pinning everything on Zach. There is plenty of blame to go around.  

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, hotrodcharlie said:

Yes I mean seriously how is Joe Douglas getting a pass here. He is very flawed as a GM I am deeply concerned 

Drafting a bust QB can — and has — happened to everyone. The fluffy little nest they crafted for BYU which includes stacking the QB room behind him with JAGs, journeymen, and old men was an avoidable and grave error.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The hardest, and last, thing you learn as a leader is how to administer disciple in a productive manner. Every new coach ****s it up on their first go-round, and it’s always the thing they cite as their downfall after they get fired. 

My first management position I had a rough time with one team member. I tried everything including booking a 4 hour 1:1 where we committed that whatever is said in the room will go no further. Let’s get it all out without any fear of any reprisals whatsoever. Seemed to go great. She said her piece and I was careful to be very present and empathetic. We hugged it out after. For a week or two things seemed to improve then back to the status quo. Today? I would handle that much differently. You are not meeting my expectations in performance or behavior. I am here to help get you where you need to be but if you’re not on board then I’ll give you some time to try to transfer to another team otherwise we are moving on without you.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m not going to play source-truther here, but do we really believe that Mike LaFleur never told Zach Wilson that he wasn’t running his offense correctly? I believe that there was a bunch of arbitrary and ineffective swings at holding people accountable, and I believe that there was an organizational edict to be nice to Zach Wilson, but I refuse to believe that no one told him that the things he was doing were bad. Taken in conjunction with Steve Young’s LaFleur “tough love” assertion, it sounds like Saleh left LaFleur on an island when it came to disciplining Zach Wilson, LaFleur, Mims, Becton, etc. Tough way to do business when you’re middle management.

I absolutely believe that—or at least I believe that it’s possible. Either football guy or Mogglez or both reported that LaFleur is extremely conflict-averse and that his role on the team is essentially designing and calling plays; i.e., not doing any actual coaching. I think it’s possible that Wilson’s meltdown against the Pats occasioned a shift from the kid-gloves treatment he’d gotten since April 2021, and that, being a petulant child, his response to this was to run to Uncle Steve with tales of how his OC is a big meaniepants. More to the point, there are two major examples of players being disciplined: Moore’s suspension and Wilson’s benching. Are we to believe that LaFleur bullied Saleh into those?

I’m not trying to make a case for Saleh here; he sat there and trusted the process while his team was collapsing around him. But I think it’s a little far-fetched to argue that LaFleur is the lone hardass holding the line for toughness and accountability at 1JD. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I absolutely believe that—or at least I believe that it’s possible. Either football guy or Mogglez or both reported that LaFleur is extremely conflict-averse and that his role on the team is essentially designing and calling plays; i.e., not doing any actual coaching. I think it’s possible that Wilson’s meltdown against the Pats occasioned a shift from his kid-gloves treatment, and that, being a petulant child, he couldn’t handle it and ran to Uncle Steve with tales of how his OC is a big meaniepants. More to the point, there are two major examples of players being disciplined: Moore’s suspension and Wilson’s benching. Are we to believe that LaFleur bullied Saleh into those?

I’m not trying to make a case for Saleh here; he sat there and trusted the process while his team was collapsing around him. But I think it’s a little far-fetched to argue that LaFleur is the lone hardass holding the line for toughness and accountability at 1JD. 

This is, more-or-less, true.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I absolutely believe that—or at least I believe that it’s possible. Either football guy or Mogglez or both reported that LaFleur is extremely conflict-averse and that his role on the team is essentially designing and calling plays; i.e., not doing any actual coaching. I think it’s possible that Wilson’s meltdown against the Pats occasioned a shift from his kid-gloves treatment, and that, being a petulant child, he couldn’t handle it and ran to Uncle Steve with tales of how his OC is a big meaniepants. More to the point, there are two major examples of players being disciplined: Moore’s suspension and Wilson’s benching. Are we to believe that LaFleur bullied Saleh into those?

I think an under the radar story was the WR coach getting pinched for gambling. Also one of the in the know posters was saying he wasn’t exactly at the facility often. Sounds like Saleh hasn’t done a great job setting expectations. Who knows where Douglas falls into this (Saleh allegedly reports to him)

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Agree with most of the above. My read on all of this is that Saleh, Ulbrich, and LaFleur are new-age soft-bois, but it was LaFleur who got tested the most, tried his hand at being a tough guy, got little to no support from a mushy Saleh, and it all went how it went. There were no adults in the room, and the team unspooled as a result. 

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

I knew it!

Anybody that's managed large amounts of people could tell this type of stuff was going on. You could sense it from what they said in press conferences versus their actions.

Sad.

… hence Wilson’s infamous battling with the reporters, “no one outside this building knows what they’re talking about” 

Zach is an idiot for saying it don’t get me wrong, but that was literally the message the coaching staff was sending to the players. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I mean this is so silly, imo. Who the **** is in charge of the team and why would they institute these kinds of conditions? Fire him or don’t fire him. If you’re Kubiak and this is the type of environment you’re prospectively entering into, you’re better off staying home. 

Saleh is ultimately to blame because he took on the responsibility of being a “CEO-type” HC and hired his staff. I think he would admit in retrospect he put way too much weight into the Greg Knapp basket and should’ve more aggressively hired coaches that could provide more support. Remember Saleh doesn’t have an assistant/associate head coach, and hired no one with prior HC or coordinating experience - let alone a track record for success in those roles. That’s on him

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, football guy said:

… hence Wilson’s infamous battling with the reporters, “no one outside this building knows what they’re talking about” 

Zach is an idiot for saying it don’t get me wrong, but that was literally the message the coaching staff was sending to the players. 

When you’ve huffed all your life the fumes of a derelict society that elevates the preservation of self-esteem above actual achievement or anything else, it’s hard to differentiate that which is said to motivate and that which is said because it is true.

1 minute ago, football guy said:

Saleh is ultimately to blame because he took on the responsibility of being a “CEO-type” HC and hired his staff. I think he would admit in retrospect he put way too much weight into the Greg Knapp basket and should’ve more aggressively hired coaches that could provide more support. Remember Saleh doesn’t have an assistant/associate head coach, and hired no one with prior HC or coordinating experience - let alone a track record for success in those roles. That’s on him

100% Said it at the time—the staff was way too young and too buddy-buddy. No first-timer should be allowed to solely hire his buddies.

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

Larz, what is the most position in sports

First, stop disparaging Knapp. Be better.

Second I know it’s depressing but based on G Wilson’s comments, Moores comments, what’s come to light today these are deep systemic issues that won’t be solved by flushing zach. Also please stop smearing his background. Many athletes came from wealthy families, like pat Mahomes. Many athletes grew up out west like Josh Allen. He’s immature, he can’t handle pressure. That’s fair. Stop adding the other stuff. 

Right now it looks like this chapter of misery will die a long protracted death over the next year. 

The main issue is the leadership style and organizational acumen of Woody. As in lack of. 

Secondly, JD has done well in some areas, but the QB room since he got here has been bad even by jets standards. Why was Mike White subjected to that second half in Seattle probably in brutal pain? And then Flacco starts ?  Saleh had September’s QB1 and QB2 in the doghouse? In a huge game in week 17 ? 

Saleh openly and publicly and obviously threw his QB under the bus with comments that are beyond belief, completely undermining whatever relationship they once had. His game management was ok until the last 6 games. First year coach O’Connell got the best of him and his team gets BLOWN OUT  after extra time to prepare. 

LaFleurs weaknesses are well documented in this thread. Not going to go over it again. 

I’ve never seen an NFL QB throw bounce passes from a clean pocket. Zach is bad. His mechanics are sloppy, he can’t get through reads fast enough, he can’t handle pressure and he lost the locker room with the “no “ that will live in infamy. 

There is a lot of blame to go around when you go 32 drives without a TD or whatever it was. 

I said it after the hawks game, this feels like the most discouraged I’ve been in a long time with this team because it feels like we’re about to go through a wasted year, and it goes deeper than Zach is a spoiled rich jerk. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Larz said:

So I was correct, your friends are incompetent 

Lol listen my friends aren’t on the coaching staff. As far as the staff goes I don’t want to say they didn’t coach Zach at all. But they did very little to correct issues on the fly, to correct his footwork. 

It’s not covering for Zach, it’s just the honest truth. The first time his footwork and playing style came up was after the first NE game. There was/is no one among the coaches on our team who had the balls to coach him hard until Saleh intervened and forced the issue… hence his infamous “we all have to be honest with ourselves and each other and honestly address what’s really going on” right before announcing that Zach would be benched

• Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Hughes said it explicitly yesterday: Woody reads his mentions and would try to curry favor with the psychos on Twitter. 

The other living human with a comparable aggregate of money-plus-insecurity sent him to London.

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

Yep. 100%. 

Same here. All I do these days is essentially build teams and analyze/repair broken teams and systems. 

Many things that were warning signs. The whole QB depth chart each week was a huge red flag, the mims/moore situations, the miscues in press conferences regarding player injuries, the sideline blowup with Q and Coach Whitecotton, Garrett Wilson's comments, I could go on and on.

Absolutely. I feel you... these roles we share professionally, are both a blessing and a curse. It's painful to see this stuff, when the solutions are so straight forward. A lot of work sometimes, yes, but doable and successful. 

• Post of the Week 1