LaFleur and Jets part ways

1 hour ago, LockeJET said:

Nope. They made this move with the hope that an experienced OC can get Zach going. Too much invested in Zach. I don’t like it one bit but Zach is the starter. They’ll now either re-sign White or bring in a lesser veteran back up. 100%. That’s how the Jets roll. 

It will be just the opposite.  Likely be Carr starting.  Possibly Jimmy G, but less likely.  Zach will be here as a back up since he's being paid anyway. The only decent OC comes here if he gets a real QB, not Zach. Tell OC candidate their job is to develop Zach and they will end the interview right there and uber back to the airport. 

• Upvote 2
  • Ugh 2

It will be just the opposite.  Likely be Carr starting.  Possibly Jimmy G, but less likely.  Zach will be here as a back up since he's being paid anyway. The only decent OC comes here if he gets a real QB, not Zach. Tell OC candidate therir job is to develop Zach and they will end the interview right there. 

Thats not whats going on here.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Jets had 4th worst point total in 1st quarters this year, 109 points.  

That can pad a defenses stats. Teams had no reason to do risky things on offense. Maybe games the Jets fought back into it after surrendering an early lead and then the other teams offense walked down the field on them. The defense is overrated severely.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RSJ said:

That can pad a defenses stats. Teams had no reason to do risky things on offense. Maybe games the Jets fought back into it after surrendering an early lead and then the other teams offense walked down the field on them. The defense is overrated severely.

Defense is bend don’t break, and getting those 2 great cbs helped create that.  They rarely blitz.  They could use more lb speed but we all know this. 

28 minutes ago, Bugg said:

The Wilson pick claims it's first victim. 

The new OC will find himself dealing with the same nonsense once Wilson gets behind center for a few games. 

No idea if Lafluer did a great job, or not. How could anyon with 2 years of Wilson as the #1 QB. Team looked good at times when Hall was playing and when the QB was not Wilson. That's the problem. Are they really gonna demand the next guy trot this loser out?

Think if they were serious about Garapolo, Lafleur might have been a selling point for him, but really means jets will be overpaying him. And paying a pile of $ whether Wilson is here or not. 

The team won 5 of the 7 wins with Zach.... This just sounds dumb

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

does mlf suck or is he woody's fall guy ?

he was just a young pup who they entrusted to learn on the job because of his family tree.  He has had no major accomplishments to date.  He was a complete mess 1st 5 games or so of 2021 and asked to go up in booth and was then marginally better.  Saleh let him draw up some back yard plays that didnt win any games and didnt let him run much of that this season for good reason as it was amateur hour. I am sure given 3-5 seasons he can become a better OC but who has that kind of time especially no guarantee he would become worth the wait.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

1) GM drafts sh-tty QB #2 overall 

2) Shi-ty #2 overall QB plays like sh-t

3) Owner demands pound of flesh

4) GM directs HC to fire OC

8 games played without Zach

2-6 with a fluke MIRACLE vs the Browns

dog sh*t offense

0 TDs in the last 3 games ????

• Upvote 4

I'm here for the ritualistic Offensive Coordinator sacrifice...

MLF seemed like a nice guy but didn't show enough or have enough experience to adapt/overcome the "QB anchor/albatross" that was hanging around his neck (...coupled with the poor O-line performance and injury to Breece he didn't have enough rope to learn on the job.)  Bad QBs definitely shorten the life span of OCs, and remove the margin for error.

Schemed open a ton of open receivers so he should land on his feet in the incestuous football game of musical chairs.  Play calling, run concepts, and personnel usage were all areas of opportunity for him that would have been masked or been non-issue with average QB play.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I don't agree with the Scorched-Earthists on this one. I think a competent veteran OC gives this regime new legs. 

Maybe MFL can be successful where there's elsewhere, but he had too much responsibility on his plate and couldn't pivot when/where needed. 

Not sure if I have the confidence we will find that guy.  

As I have said, I don't mind the change as long as we find someone better, there are a lot of vet coaches I would be horrified to get.

5 minutes ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

The team won 5 of the 7 wins with Zach.... This just sounds dumb

You Wilson believers are f__Ing nuts. Only the worst passer in the NFL, with historically bad comparisons. He sucks. Jets don't get better with him, because he's not ever gonna be an NFL QB. And if he plays in 2023, Mike Lafleur wont be the last job his disaster of an NFL career  will have toprpedoed. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Not sure if I have the confidence we will find that guy.  

As I have said, I don't mind the change as long as we find someone better, there are a lot of vet coaches I would be horrified to get.

QB is what matters either way. All depends what veteran they bring. Unless your Reid or Shanahan, your offense rides on the QB. 

7 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Dont be too disappointed when its Matt Ryan and Dareel Bevel is all I am saying

Any good coord will come if he can get a genuine starter and not a disaster like Zach.  No one in his right mind, particularly a well respected OC type would come here "to develop Zach".  That would be career suicide.  The idea is to bring in someone solid, a quality OC and that person will demand a legit starting QB.  i.e. Carr or the equivalent.   

If you were an experienced NFL OC, would you come to the Jets under the directive to develop Zach Wilson?  Think about how ludicrous that is.  It will be a vet with Zach holding the clipboard.  Mike White won't be here either. Too much talent on this offense to waste waiting around for Zach Wilson to reach NFL puberty, if ever.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bugg said:

You Wilson believers are f__Ing nuts. Only the worst passer in the NFL, with historically bad comparisons. He sucks. Jets don't get better with him, because he's not ever gonna be an NFL QB. And if he plays in 2023, Mike Lafleur wont be the last job his disaster of an NFL career  will have toprpedoed. 

Whoever the new OC is he’s probably going to tell woody and douglas that wilson isn’t salvegeable.  Still say there’s a decent chance wilson isn’t on the 2023 roster

• Upvote 1