LaFleur and Jets part ways

Just now, Dcat said:

Any good coord will come if he can get a genuine starter and not a disaster like Zach.  No one in his right mind, particularly a well respected OC typoe would come here "to develop Zach".  That would be career suicide.  The idea is to ring in someone solid and that person will demand a legit starting QB.  i.e. Carr.

Exactly and this may actually hasten a trade before the draft. 

43 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

LMAO at anyone moaning over Mike Lafleur leaving...Like he was a victim. He SUCKED.

Did he really? When the offense was healthy the past two years and Zach wasn’t playing QB, it looked good. Hell, they even managed to win 5 games with the worst QB I’ve ever seen this season.

We had an inexperienced CS, and an expansion roster last year, and a QB who was totally lost, another who was a fossil, and the best of the lot couldn’t survive a rainstorm.  
If you’re going to hire a young first time OC and surround him with trash, is it fair to expect him to excel?

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Did he really? When the offense was healthy the past two years and Zach wasn’t playing QB, it looked good. Hell, they even managed to win 5 games with the worst QB I’ve ever seen this season.

We had an inexperienced CS, and an expansion roster last year, and a QB who was totally lost, another who was a fossil, and the best of the lot couldn’t survive a rainstorm.  
If you’re going to hire a young first time OC and surround him with trash, is it fair to expect him to excel?

The numbers don’t lie. He wet the bed.

time to move on.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

Well there was a public dispute last week between LaFleur and Saleh over starting Zach from day one. LaFleur said it was a mistake and Saleh defended the decision saying that Zach legitimately won the job in training camp.

The most importatn reason why Saleh should ALSO be fired. 

• More Ugh 1

I’m torn on this. Liked the guy, still think he has potential and may even end up a HC one day but the offense was just so bad and he failed developing Zach.

But the OL injuries and terrible run game combined with QB’s not being able to throw hitches or wide open runners, a lot of that isn’t his fault.

I get it, he didn’t get it done.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

If that is the case, which I agree with, why not fire the HC as well?

Cowardice?  Or Maybe Saleh, at the last minute, said "better you, than the both of us, Mike...   You'll be fine... you got optionz out there".

51 minutes ago, Bugg said:

The Wilson pick claims it's first victim. 

The new OC will find himself dealing with the same nonsense once Wilson gets behind center for a few games. 

No idea if Lafluer did a great job, or not. How could anyon with 2 years of Wilson as the #1 QB. Team looked good at times when Hall was playing and when the QB was not Wilson. That's the problem. Are they really gonna demand the next guy trot this loser out?

Think if they were serious about Garapolo, Lafleur might have been a selling point for him, but really means jets will be overpaying him. And paying a pile of $ whether Wilson is here or not. 

Yeah it was just Wilson who couldn’t score points, White lit it up when he was in there.  

• Upvote 1

Lafleur apologists? Really? There were 2nd and 3rd string QB's starting all over the NFL this season and whose OC's managed to get them to move the chains and score points on a competitive level. Lafleur did a terrible job over two seasons and NEVER got the best out of the personnel he had.  He is the dictionary definition for failing at his job. Good riddance.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Not sure the Jets thought this one through. How are we gonna get a competent/experienced OC for a staff that will have a playoff mandate? We’re gonna get another first-timer who will be in over his head by Week 8. This is classic Jets. Should've just hung onto MLF and let him be involved in selecting the optimal QB for his system. It clearly worked when the OL was halfway decent and a vet was under center. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Which games did you consider the offense played well? Chicago--against the worst team in the league? The one other White win last season? Maybe the ZW win over Buffalo?

By the end of two seasons nothing on the offense looked good despite a better roster than when he started. You can give him all the excuses of multiple lousy QBs (but also saddle him with blame for not improving White or ZW) and injuries (that other teams endure). Give him full credit for those excuses if you want, judge him on everything else. The GM is bringing in young players--who did LaFleur's staff improve? The best players on the offense showed up as stars (Hall, AVT, GW). Mims, Moore, Becton, ZW, White, Berrios, pick players at your choice--how many players improved over the last two years? I bet you can name several who look worse or flat but find a short list of improved players. What about the playcalling addressed deficiencies in players or injuries? What were the adjustments to plays or in-game strategies that supported letting LaFleur call more games?

LaFleur doesn't have the experience to do the job and it showed. The 49ers demoted him from a position coach before Saleh elevated him to OC. That's a bizarre move on Saleh's part. Maybe down the road with experience he's a good OC--he was just not the right guy for the job at this time. 

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, undertow said:

What's with this fanbase and the idolatry of sh*tty players and coaches lately?  I hope they don't cut Denzel Mims there might be a riot.

I don’t think it’s that.
I see this as a failing regime looking for a scapegoat. How was LaFleur worse than Saleh has been at his job? Was he worse this year than Uhlrich was last? Was he worse than Zach was at his? Berrios? Becton? Mims? Moore? Laken?
BTW who hired, drafted or signed all those clowns? What’s his record since he got here?

But yeah, everything was LaFleur’s fault.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Dcat said:

He should have been fired with the introverted, anti-social stubborn OC. 

Why should Saleh be fired?  He is a defensive coach who had a defense go from worst to top five in season.   Sure he is also ultimately responsible for the Offense as HC, but his OC was historically bad, even with the horror show at quarterback.  MLF was exposed as unimaginative, tone deaf when it came to how to best use his offensive talent.  The decline in targets to Elijah Moore was borderline criminal.   Somehow he felt Berrios was the better option in many cases.   Saleh is not perfect but if he had any decent quarterback play and a decent OC this team is in the playoffs.  

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

This “haha Mike LaFleur sucks!” stuff is going to be retroactively hysterical when Joe Douglas is on his hands and knees begging Jimmy Garoppolo to take $80 million guaranteed dollars out of Woody Johnson’s trust fund in a few weeks. 

Nah, that was only going to happen if we kept LaFleur. He’s not a chef, he can microwave a grab and go. Zero ability to adapt to the players he had available. Zach sucked, but Mike White had  a single good game  once each year, then almost died.

Every other offensive player turn to poop or got hurt  sans Garret Wilson who could have been a serious OROY contender with an experience OC and of course better QB. We are either swinging for the fences with a top vet, getting a mid level place holder then drafting a QB to be groomed by a grown up DC. LaFleur needs to go to a team with an established QB. He’s not terrible, just got the AIDS from Zach. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Lafleur apologists? Really? There were 2nd and 3rd string QB's starting all over the NFL this season and whose OC's managed to get them to move the chains and score points on a competitive level. Lafleur did a terrible job over two seasons and NEVER got the best out of the personnel he had.  He is the dictionary definition for failing at his job. Good riddance.

Had a 1k rookie receiver & was on the verge of having a 1500k rookie RB. He can get guys open. I don’t think he put his all into it the last 3 games. He had one foot out the door. I don’t blame him too much w/the absolute joke the Jets are. It’s definitely better for his career to regroup away from this toxic burn pit. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

Cant really blame him. We still don't have a QB, and our only hope is if EVERY offensive player stays healthy all season, including all 5 offensive linemen. A single injury to Hall or Garrett or even Becton (again) seems to sink this qb-less ship faster than the Titanic in a ice hockey rink.

Perhaps LeFleur heard Saleh's total commitment to ZW for 2023 and thought "I gotta get outta here NOW"

3rd verse, same as the first, little bit louder, little bit worse.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Tom And Jerry Pain GIF by Boomerang Official

So getting an adult in the room with Gary Kubiak and whichever of his sons he wants to roll along in any roles would be awesome.

However. Brian Johnson. Anthony Richardson. Sit Richardson the year. Start to build an offense. Let Johnson take over if the playoffs don't happen.

Won't happen, but that'll be my fever dream for the next couple days.

• Upvote 2

Who's the most elite Madden player? Bring that kid in cause I want someone who is an air raid master throwing bombs all game long with play action and roll outs. I am tired of these young guys who suck at coaching and Madden. Lets have someone that is at least good at one of them. Dealers choice which.

This is not an ownership decision, this is a JD decision. He is not ready to move on from Wilson and he knows he won't be successful in this system. He's going to bring an OC in who Wilson fits in better with systematically and they're going to force Wilson down our throats next year. Anybody expecting a veteran upgrade next year is going to be very disappointed. He forced Wilson into playing those 2 games when White was hurt and he's going to do it again to try to prove he was right, winning be damned. JD tanked the Jets season not Woody. 

• Post of the Week 2

2 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Bevell is the same guy who couldn’t develop Trevor Lawrence worth sh-t in year 1

They replaced him and Schotty with Pederson and the rest is history 

Jags also drafted high this year again ( 2year or 3 years in row now i think) and spent the most i think in FA this year?

27 minutes ago, Bugg said:

You Wilson believers are f__Ing nuts. Only the worst passer in the NFL, with historically bad comparisons. He sucks. Jets don't get better with him, because he's not ever gonna be an NFL QB. And if he plays in 2023, Mike Lafleur wont be the last job his disaster of an NFL career  will have toprpedoed. 

I was just quoting facts... 5 wins out of 7 were with Zach Wilson... 

Mike White had a few games where he could have won it and didn't... He failed worse then Zach Wilson... That is hard to do... 

Zach Wilson actually won the Pitt game and dolphin game and buffalo... Yes, his crazy terrible mechanics and all led them to victories... 

How about Flacco... How many games did he win... He easily could have won a game against Dolphins but failed... So out of a sh*tty year, and even though the offense looked better with Mike White... He lost... All he had to do was win one game... That's it... And they would have made playoffs. Just 1 win.. Beside the Chicago game... 

Something was wrong with the offense beyond Zach... 

• Sympathy 1