Rosenblatt says one name to keep an eye on for Jets OC is....

AFJF

35 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Who was that guy who trolled all of my posts and called me Elise Stefanik when I suggested that Steve Young was exerting undue influence over the handling of Zach Wilson with the Jets? 

I have no idea who said that.

I have no idea who Elise Stefinak is.

If Young was having any influence at all, Saleh would have been fired by now.  Uses his weekly spot on ESPN NY to come on and tell us Robert Saleh is a defensive coach so can't possibly be expected to know how to coach a quarterback.

But it looks like Bevel could have a legit shot.

14 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

League sources say potential coordinator candidates may be turned off by two things...

1. The QB situation

2. Playoff mandate for the team

Responded to something similar earlier so I’m just posting that here because I don’t feel like typing it out again:4C4DC616-3CAA-43E5-BD95-47183DFB75CF.thumb.jpeg.18fd457b90ff6a9fd261c6c90c76cd4c.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

If they want Carr, this is the guy to get.  Would wrap up that QB question pretty fast if they land him.

Yeah I’m doing research on him now and he was also the OC the year Oakland drafted Carr. Took a 2 year break and went to the Jags where he couldn’t fix Bortles and then went back to Oakland. If they want Carr this is a really good way to get him here. 

• Upvote 2

This was the issue that was clear as day the moment all of the talk came about making LaFleur the scapegoat.  There simply is not going to be a lot of major interest from any top candidates out there for this job.  Pretty much the whole league knows both the GM and HC are (deservedly) on the hot seat and both will likely be looking for work this time next year if they don't get it all right, which mean whoever gets this will likely be losing their job with them.

With that said, I don't necessarily have a major issue with Bevell.  Not a great candidate, but if you're going to be pulling this stunt now, better served at least going with someone who has experience in the position.  This being a learning experience for a new OC is not in anyone's best interests with the clock already ticking.  It's now or never for all of these guys.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I have no idea who said that.

I have no idea who Elise Stefinak is.

If Young was having any influence at all, Saleh would have been fired by now.  Uses his weekly spot on ESPN NY to come on and tell us Robert Saleh is a defensive coach so can't possibly be expected to know how to coach a quarterback.

But it looks like Bevel could have a legit shot.

Bevell is going to be the hire, and Zach Wilson will be QB1 on 2023. Bevell checks a lot of boxes because he’s a dead-ender who poses no threat to Saleh and he’ll be acceptable to Steve Young.

• WTF? 1
  • Ugh 2

2 minutes ago, Hex said:

Huh. Yea that muddles it up a bit. What do you personally think the best call was there?

I think NFL fans have an unrealistic grading system for OCs wherein if the play works, they think the OC is a genius, but if the play gets broken up, the OC is a clown. The great staff they out together in Jacksonville to develop Lawrence just put up negative yards in the second half of a de facto playoff game against an overmatched Titans team. The median average scoring for NFL teams this season was 22.1 points per game. All you can do as an OC is call a play that gets the receiver open when you need it, and I thought Bevell did that. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

41 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Darrell Bevell would be enough for me to make other use of my time on Sundays besides inflicting my own pain watching a boring dull offense

Sad Happy Hour GIF

Nathaniel Hackett is radioactive bad 

The Jets will hire anyone willing to pretend they can rehab Zach. The names on that list will be pretty desperate 

• Upvote 1

Just to refresh everyone's memory..... Pats-Seahawks Super Bowl.... Seattle has the ball at the 1 yard line with THE BEAST Marshawn Lynch ready to bring home The Championship to Seattle. But No, Wait, The "genius" OC decides to throw an inside slant to a WR on the 1, and we we all know how that ended. Easily the worst call in football history. The OC that game... Darrell Bevell. HELL NO TO THAT GUY!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Responded to something similar earlier so I’m just posting that here because I don’t feel like typing it out again:4C4DC616-3CAA-43E5-BD95-47183DFB75CF.thumb.jpeg.18fd457b90ff6a9fd261c6c90c76cd4c.jpeg

I think there are legit arguments for firing LaFleur (or “mutually parting ways,” or whatever). My concern is with who made the decision.

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Some of these things will play a factor, but I tend to agree that there’s other ways to look at it: you don’t want a guy who is going to shrink in the face of that challenge… If you build an offense here you can build it anywhere.

They’re going to keep some of the offensive staff so at least there will be coaches in place— the one-and-done scenarios impact young positional coaches more-so then the proven guys. An OC will have say in things but could see them keeping Benton, Middleton, Embree around. Maybe Calabrese sticks or is reassigned, but his biggest supporter is now gone so not confident there. The new OC likely will need to bring a new QBC and WRC with him at the very least. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Bevell is going to be the hire, and Zach Wilson will be QB1 on 2023. Bevell checks a lot of boxes because he’s a dead-ender who poses no threat to Saleh and he’ll be acceptable to Steve Young.

I’m deadpan resigned to this fate.

Bevell is Mormon, too, and can probably sell Woodrow as far as the all-important “connecting with Zach” factor.

Bevell is the same guy who failed to develop golden boy Trev Lawrence.

The offense is gonna suck and they’re all gonna be fired a year from now.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I think there are legit arguments for firing LaFleur (or “mutually parting ways,” or whatever). My concern is with who made the decision.

Johnson Fired LefLeur & Johnson Allowed saleh to tell the media there was a "mutual" -cough cough- parting of ways to save face. 

• Thumb Down 1