Rosenblatt says one name to keep an eye on for Jets OC is....

AFJF

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I’m deadpan resigned to this fate.

Bevell is Mormon, too, and can probably sell Woodrow as far as the all-important “connecting with Zach” factor.

Bevell is the same guy who failed to develop golden boy Trev Lawrence.

The offense is gonna suck and they’re all gonna be fired a year from now.

I think hiring Bevell is fine on its face, except we’d be hiring Bevell specifically to rehabilitate Zach, and the behest of Steve Young and family. It’d be a bad sign as to who’s pushing who around.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Gotta love how people were saying MLF was only here because he was Saleh's buddy and now it seems the biggest factor for his replacement seems to be whether or not they're buddies with Robert Saleh. 

The guy we hire should be so qualified that he's a threat to Saleh's job. 

It's not an inspiring list - anyone hoping for a Reich, Kingsbury or Monken type is going to be disappointed.

Olson is the best from that list - if Derek Carr comes along with him.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think hiring Bevell is fine on its face, except we’d be hiring Bevell specifically to rehabilitate Zach, and the behest of Steve Young and family. It’d be a bad sign as to who’s pushing who around.

I don’t see this being the case. I think that would be an added bonus, but more important is familiarity, safety, experience, strong communication, and adaptability. 

Bevell is a teacher at his core. He gets along with players and coaches, has plenty of experience as a coordinator/playcaller/QB coach, he has worked in a number of different variations of the WCO, and most of all he himself is coachability (adaptability). He has happily fell in line and puts out an offense that emulates the identity his HC seeks to establish and doesn’t have a reputation of being rigid at all— he’s willing to work with anyone, whereas a lot of coordinators want to force in their own guys. 

By no means would I be doing cartwheels for Bevell but given the circumstances you can do much worse… in an ideal world we would’ve hired him as a QB coach/PGC and paired him with MLF last year knowing what we know now, but don’t think there’s much time for them to look backward at this point

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

League sources say potential coordinator candidates may be turned off by two things...

1. The QB situation

2. Playoff mandate for the team

Who needs "league sources" for this kind of info? This was obvious and one of the reasons firing the OC was stupid.

Never get rid of a coach unless you actually have a plan to upgrade.

• More Ugh 1

1 hour ago, football guy said:

I don’t see this being the case. I think that would be an added bonus, but more important is familiarity, safety, experience, strong communication, and adaptability. 

Bevell is a teacher at his core. He gets along with players and coaches, has plenty of experience as a coordinator/playcaller/QB coach, he has worked in a number of different variations of the WCO, and most of all he himself is coachability (adaptability). He has happily fell in line and puts out an offense that emulates the identity his HC seeks to establish and doesn’t have a reputation of being rigid at all— he’s willing to work with anyone, whereas a lot of coordinators want to force in their own guys. 

By no means would I be doing cartwheels for Bevell but given the circumstances you can do much worse… in an ideal world we would’ve hired him as a QB coach/PGC and paired him with MLF last year knowing what we know now, but don’t think there’s much time for them to look backward at this point

We’ll see. If they hire Bevell and go cheap on the veteran QB, I think we’ll know what the plan is. I’m not sure if you were around back then, but I wanted them to hire Bevell after Bowles and these jerks made fun of me about it endlessly

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

We’ll see. If they hire Bevell and go cheap on the veteran QB, I think we’ll know what the plan is. I’m not sure if you were around back then, but I wanted them to hire Bevell after Bowles and these jerks made fun of me about it endlessly

I can't tell if you actually like Bevell or just trolling. It's quite masterful. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Hackett is interesting. He obviously was a great OC in Green Bay and good enough to get a head coaching job. He has familarity with the Shanahan/LaFleur system. He was obviously not a good head coach but a lot of the best coordinators out there aren’t 

Why get rid of MLF and keep the same system? The only way that makes sense to me is if the coach just didn't connect with his players. 

14 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

League sources say potential coordinator candidates may be turned off by two things...

1. The QB situation

2. Playoff mandate for the team

The QB situation is a turn off for sure. If they are telling candidates they need to rescue Zach Wilson then I imagine the list of guys wanting to sign up for that will dwindle considerably

the "playoff mandate" or whatever could actually be attractive to a guy like Bevell though.

His offense performs decently but the Jets are 3-6 or something by midseason and he could be given the big boy seat. Strong finish and he's the next head coach full time. I could see that being considered

39 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Why get rid of MLF and keep the same system? The only way that makes sense to me is if the coach just didn't connect with his players. 

Same or similar system. There were players already brought in for it. That's the perceived benefit.

It also seems like Lafleur did not connect with his players

• Upvote 1

On 1/11/2023 at 9:20 PM, hawk said:

The very first question that must be called, and this has to be the highest level priority to move forward to question number 2.

Do you know what Play Action is?

Question number 2, assuming the answer is a confident yes.

Do you ever use it on first down?

If the answer is yes, upgrade.

I think you can add; can you call, teach, run a hurry up offense? Can you teach the qb to learn how the game is played? Can you motivate the offense so they come out with fire in their eyes? Can you relate to the young players and vets so they play hard the whole game? Can you adapt your plays and play calling to the strengths of the players on each play? Can you adjust your offense during the game so you go against the defense weakness?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, maury77 said:

You think he's getting fired after making the playoffs?

That’s the talk down here.  The first round loss isn’t going to help his case.  
Ross wants to make a big splash with a Payton or Harbaugh move and maybe Brady at QB.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m calling it now. I think we end up with Mike McDaniel. 

If the fish make a fish like move that makes total sense.  Saleh tried to bring him in with LaFleur as the passing coordinator with his first staff.  Doesn’t hurt that they’re good friends who’ve worked well together before

• Upvote 1