You get what you ask for

Be_a_Jet

22 minutes ago, Be_a_Jet said:

The group who wanted MLF gone are in two places. 

1) Delusion-ville, USA. Where you think the Jets are going to get Reich or Kubiak or anyone good

2) Shock. Shock at the list of candidates being floated around. Like “Wuh really that’s it “ 

Welcome to reality. Whoever comes now has what is a 1 year playoff mandate  - likely to be fired if they don’t make it. Unknown QB at the helm. And has to implement the new system with either the same current staff or their own guys who also have to get acclimated. 

Anyone who would be worth being an OC would be way more inclined to go with a new HC rather than a 3rd year HC on his way out. 

the problem is and has always been the QB. The offense will depend on who we get as QB. 

If Saleh gets fired next year for missing the playoffs next year that’s fine - deserved - but they just slashed his tires. Organization is lame and can’t make the hard decisions - firing people is easy, anyone can be upset and fire people. 

Lol wut?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Cannot freaking WAIT until we’re rolling Zach Wilson out there with Bevell at OC and running the ball and punting 40 times per game. J!

Sir did you just arrive here from the future? 

That feels really accurate 

Poor little Johnny never gonna eat ice cream again 

• Haha 1

Through 10 games nobody was calling for MLF’s job….

Offense sputtered to end the season and your sour and you want to blame someone. 

OL was rollin out handicapped players by seasons end and same could be said of the QBs like geriatric Flacco, 5 Broken ribs MW, and space cadet Zach. 

MLF did not adjust. That’s reality. But if we are going to get a new QB anyway and fix the problem that was causing this decline why get a new OC. It’s one thing if you are going to start ZW next season, I get it then, because MLF obviously doesn’t know how to make Zach move the ball down field….But if you’re gunna fix the QB and OL spots anyway why are you making the Offense start over with a new scheme. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

You've only got half of the story correct.

Yes. We're not in a good position to hire an experienced coordinator/offensive staff.

But LaFleur absolutely needed to go. The real problem is that so does Saleh. Not next year. Now.

LaFleur has a spot in this league. It does not appear though that the amount of responsibility this role presented was a good fit for him. His upside is scheme. He struggled in play-calling, but anyone would with this squad, and anyone would with his little amount of experience. To me, though, he's clearly not a strong communicator or leader of men. I'm sure the player exit interviews were a disaster for him. I believe Saleh knew he had to go, and indicated as such in the past week or two.

But where he failed most importantly was the lack of a coherent development plan for Zach. And that's on Saleh as much, if not moreso. That's his job. Development a strategic plan, a huge percentage of which is surrounding the #2 overall pick, a very young and inexperienced QB that the entire franchise was leaning on, with the tools to grow. Zach failed for sure, but so did his coaching staff. 

Woody can fix this mess that he's in now, one way, and one way only.

Saleh has to go. Nice guy, like what he's done with the defense, but the 2 years of babying Zach and the lack of foresight to provide him a cache of EXPERIENCED resources to learn from and lean on is inexcusable. He may succeed somewhere someday. I dont think you get past this mistake here though.

So then the search for a PROVEN staff begins. Woodster is going to have to pay a tax. He'll have to outspend everyone to do it. It's the only avenue to righting this ship. Otherwise, like you said, 2023 is a lame duck season and they search begins again in one year. Rip the band aid off now. Not likely, I suppose, but it's what should happen. Maybe we'll get surprised. 

Coherent development plan? Zach is on the Geno Smith schedule check back in 10 years 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

45 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Lmaooo 

Oh God, now we have to worry about rabid Lafuer truthers ???

Is this going to be like the Zac wilson mike white scenario where all of a sudden mike white who is a total jag was praised to the heavens just because zac was terrible?

Some of the names being tossed around out there are horrifying, because Lafleur was lousy does not mean that nathabiel hackett or matt nagy will be good

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I would have kept all the idiots together but it doesn’t matter. Salad and fat joe are likely gone after next season. 

Thus their decision to jumpstart the offense to save their a$$e$. Dis function breeds more dis function 

———————————————————————

Albert Breer has a few suggestions:

“Tough for Jets HC Robert Saleh parting with OC Mike LaFleur—but this was a matter of both seeing the writing on the wall. LaFleur had opps elsewhere, so time to go. Saleh will cast a wide net for new OC. Some names: Darrell Bevell, Brian Johnson, Kevin Patullo, Pep Hamilton.”

Patullo might be a familiar name to Jets fans. He worked as the team’s quarterbacks coach in 2015 and 2016 under Todd Bowles and Chan Gailey. He is currently the Eagles passing game coordinator.

Johnson is also on the Philadelphia staff as the quarterbacks coach.

Hamilton was the Texans offensive coordinator this year. A veteran coach, Hamilton has ties to the Jets having worked on Herman Edwards’ staff in 2003 and 2004. He was also a reported candidate for the team’s offensive coordinator opening in 2013 that ultimately went to Marty Mornhinweg

Edited by 32EBoozer
Couldn’t get tweet to post
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I’d we are really thinking of starting Zach next year we might as well make his mother OC for Pete’s sake. 

It would not surprise me if that's not EXACTLY what they plan on doing.  I see a Minshew/Brissett upgrade from Flacco, with the idea that Zach competes to start and slides in at some point if he's QB 2.  I'd be surprised if JD goes big for Carr or Jimmy G unless there is a taker for Zach at some silly level.  

1 hour ago, Be_a_Jet said:

The group who wanted MLF gone are in two places. 

1) Delusion-ville, USA. Where you think the Jets are going to get Reich or Kubiak or anyone good

2) Shock. Shock at the list of candidates being floated around. Like “Wuh really that’s it “ 

Welcome to reality. Whoever comes now has what is a 1 year playoff mandate  - likely to be fired if they don’t make it. Unknown QB at the helm. And has to implement the new system with either the same current staff or their own guys who also have to get acclimated. 

Anyone who would be worth being an OC would be way more inclined to go with a new HC rather than a 3rd year HC on his way out. 

the problem is and has always been the QB. The offense will depend on who we get as QB. 

If Saleh gets fired next year for missing the playoffs next year that’s fine - deserved - but they just slashed his tires. Organization is lame and can’t make the hard decisions - firing people is easy, anyone can be upset and fire people. 

Hey mods, can we fire this dude as a poster? 

I would assume any sane OC will demand a loud voice in the QB decision and not want to move forward relying on anybody on the roster. It is extremely likely that hiring a new OC comes along with a promise to land one of the vet options, even if only to get to a winning season and bridge the gap to develop one or more young players. Saleh might not be on a hot seat next year, but there's no way the seat isn't getting warmer after a terrible year one and the way this year collapsed. Even if Saleh (and potentially Douglas) gets hired, this might result in the best QB acquisition the Jets have had since...Testeverde? 

I wouldn't feel bad about the Jets rolling into next year with vet/ZW/white or vet/ZW/draft--I do not see the Jets cutting ties with ZW this offseason. I expect Douglas wants to see another OC take a swing at developing ZW.