Indiana Jones and the Stairway To Heaven Mafia - DAY 1 ( part 1 and 2- town wins)

Nolder

Just now, Greenseed4 said:

I used to play Mafia almost exclusively in drunken blackouts, but I’m pretty sure I recall JiF oversharing about some Floridian rendezvous with a Maytag dryer.

Not sure how he fit one in his ass but to each his own

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, jgb said:

I don’t know what I’m doing. I don’t know what impact my role has. Nor do I understand what information anyone is basing their votes on. I suppose round 1 is the sounding out phase and try to spot a voting bloc which could signify scum coordination?

63BA864B-067D-45F9-B66B-C69E2949792C.gif.2bbec18bd5aa1339b84d1e73b4b0ba10.gif

Day 1 is 95 % sh*tposting until something happens.  Usually Ape shows up and finds a shiny object he's sure is scum.  That player gets mad and votes Ape back (otherwise known as an OMGUS post - Oh My God U Suck).  Ape finds a new shiny object and the process repeates. 

Then the game starts for reals.  

20 minutes ago, jgb said:

I don’t know what I’m doing. I don’t know what impact my role has. Nor do I understand what information anyone is basing their votes on. I suppose round 1 is the sounding out phase and try to spot a voting bloc which could signify scum coordination?

63BA864B-067D-45F9-B66B-C69E2949792C.gif.2bbec18bd5aa1339b84d1e73b4b0ba10.gif

As a first timer myself, I'm assuming the same. Doubt anyone gets offed day one while being wary of anyone not posting as they may be afraid of triggering a traps and revealing themselves.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

This reminds me of a resume that came across my desk last year (2022). The candidate actually had a section in their resume where they enumerated their weaknesses.

My advice to anyone writing a resume is to not do this.

Unless it is: “Weakness — goes homicidal when rejected for a job.”

• More Ugh 1

1 minute ago, Lurker89 said:

As a first timer myself, I'm assuming the same. Doubt anyone gets offed day one while being wary of anyone not posting as they may be afraid of triggering a traps and revealing themselves.

I see this game as a way to release all the bile that would get me banned from the main forums. 

• Upvote 3

Some terms for new guys @jgb and @Lurker89.  This is far from a comprehensive glossary but its a nice start:

• Scum:  Bad guys
  • Town:  Good guys
  • Lynch:  Majority vote that removes a player from the game
  • Cop:  Investigative Role, can search for bad guys
  • Doc:  Protects a player from a Scum Kill
  • BPV/Vest:  Bulletproof Vest - A protection item that prevents a player from being killed/shot during the game.
  • Mafia Godfather:  Investigations will come up "town" for this player
  • Vanilla Town:  Regular roleless town player
  • PR:  Can either mean "Power Role" or "Post Restriction". 
    • Power Role - Cop/Doc/etc. 
    • Post Restriction - when the mod orders a player to post a certain way or behave a certain way at times as part of his/her role
  • Bussing:  Intentionally going after a scum teammate to "distance" yourself and make yourself look town
  • L-2:  When a player is 2 votes away from lynch.  Typically this is a good time for a player to "reveal" what role he is if he so chooses, then town can decide whether to still proceed with the lynch.  For scum, its a good time to come up with a nice "fake reveal".
  • OMGUS:  Oh My God U Suck - voting back a player who votes you for no other reason than they're voting you
  • WIFOM:  Wine In Front Of Me.  Ever see Princess Bride?  This scene describes what's going on with this term:

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Some terms for new guys @jgb and @Lurker89.  This is far from a comprehensive glossary but its a nice start:

• Post Restriction - when the mod orders a player to post a certain way or behave a certain way at times as part of his/her role
  • Bussing:  Intentionally going after a scum teammate to "distance" yourself and make yourself look town
  • L-2:  When a player is 2 votes away from lynch.  Typically this is a good time for a player to "reveal" what role he is if he so chooses, then town can decide whether to still proceed with the lynch.  For scum, its a good time to come up with a nice "fake reveal".
  • OMGUS:  Oh My God U Suck - voting back a player who votes you for no other reason than they're voting you
  • WIFOM:  Wine In Front Of Me.  Ever see Princess Bride?  This scene describes what's going on with this term:

Thanks but I don’t trust knowitalls. Watch your back.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

You’re right, I’ll do the dirty work.

I’m strangely motivated in triggering all the traps just to see what they are. 

My first ever game (Clue Mafia)  I rolled vanilla town and accidentally set off a trap that got a fellow townie killed.  I felt bad about it for like a week.  I was so young and innocent then....

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

• BPV/Vest:  Bulletproof Vest - A protection item that prevents a player from being killed/shot during the game.
  • Mafia Godfather:  Investigations will come up "town" for this player

teacher's pet

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I recruited jgb and lurker and they seem to be playing against their wishes.  I feel responsible for their development.  Especially since they both look like promising rookies, unlike Zach Wilson.  

Dude, come on. How about a trigger warning?

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

Even in games where there aren't traps (this is a rarity - leave it to Nolder to throw a wrinkle at confused rookies, though it is pretty cool and matches the theme), games are slow to start. 

Once players start dying more things start happening.  It's all about collecting information.  A dead player is informative regardless of alignment because you can go back at interactions/votes surrounding that player and perhaps find suspicious activity.  But until a player is lynched/killed you have very little info to go on.  

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Even in games where there aren't traps (this is a rarity - leave it to Nolder to throw a wrinkle at confused rookies, though it is pretty cool and matches the theme), games are slow to start. 

Once players start dying more things start happening.  It's all about collecting information.  A dead player is informative regardless of alignment because you can go back at interactions/votes surrounding that player and perhaps find suspicious activity.  But until a player is lynched/killed you have very little info to go on.  

speaking of dead players and collecting information ...

let's lynch Pac

• Post of the Week 2

27 minutes ago, jgb said:

I see this game as a way to release all the bile that would get me banned from the main forums. 

I like to play jump rope with the line on the main boards and post unbannable things in bannable tones or bannable things in unbannable tones. 

The brief light tap from the ban-hammer I recieved was for one of the most benign things I had ever posted. I then petitioned @nycdan to ban me longer for some of the more objectionable things I had spewed at people (mostly towards @DefenseWinsChampionships85) If i was to be banned it should be for the proper content. ?

Love you @nycdan

I can't help myself ...I miss the old bloodsport days of the internet. If the mildest opportunity to spar presents itself I'm in. Which is why I was a **** to @Barry McCockinner a month or two ago, but I actually love Barry:

chris farley GIF

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

I like to play jump rope with the line on the main boards and post unbannable things in bannable tones or bannable things in unbannable tones. 

The brief light tap from the ban-hammer I recieved was for one of the most benign things I had ever posted. I then petitioned @nycdan to ban me longer for some of the more objectionable things I had spewed at people (mostly towards @DefenseWinsChampionships85) If i was to be banned it should be for the proper content. ?

Love you @nycdan

I can't help myself ...I miss the old bloodsport days of the internet. If the mildest opportunity to spar presents itself I'm in. Which is why I was a **** to @Barry McCockinner a month or two ago, but I actually love Barry:

chris farley GIF

You were an ****? WHAT DID YOU SAY TO ME???

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

My first ever game (Clue Mafia)  I rolled vanilla town and accidentally set off a trap that got a fellow townie killed.  I felt bad about it for like a week.  I was so young and innocent then....

Lol ... human emotions... my wife and the therapist she wants me to go see think I need to work on having those.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

You were an ****? WHAT DID YOU SAY TO ME???

HEY DICKBAG STOP YELLING!!!??

We had a mild football related  disagreement you replied with a snarky response which opened the door for me to be a vile *****,  but basically a bunch of superfluous bs including an unwarranted dig at your name to put you on the defense get you to say something stupid and then point at the stupid things you say while dancing around like a baboon.... ya know my general MO.

26 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

Love you @nycdan

This reminds me.....since @The Crusher stepped down as a moderator....who is the "assigned" mod for the Mafia forum now?  Or are we just a dystopian, lawless wasteland at this point?  Not that that would be much different than it always has been....

• Upvote 2