54 Years Ago Today (01/12)

I've not seen that picture or at least I don't remember it.  Who is he hugging there...  guy wearing 'Orange Bowl' cap in what looks like a college dorm bathroom?  (talk about dumps....  the Orange Bowl was right up there at the top)  Were there Jets beat reporters then?

23 minutes ago, Gibby said:

And as old as I am & feel, and as many years of misery I have invested. I wasn’t even born yet. The Jets have never won in my lifetime. I’ve infected my 17 year old son now. I seriously doubt he’ll ever see one either.

The majority of Jets fans’ best Jets memory is listening to their father or grandfather talk about Joe Namath.

7 hours ago, Dcat said:

I've not seen that picture or at least I don't remember it.  Who is he hugging there...  guy wearing 'Orange Bowl' cap in what looks like a college dorm bathroom?  (talk about dumps....  the Orange Bowl was right up there at the top)  Were there Jets beat reporters then?

The guy in the picture looked like an old guy, could be his father John, who

along with his brothers signed $25,000 dollars a year contracts to scout for

the as part of his rookie contract. Contrary to Assman and other jerks on

this board, the Jets have had an Offensive Rookie of the year his initials were JWN

5 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

I remember watching that game. I was 9 years old at the time. Hopefully I’ll get to experience it again!!

I was 9 as well. Sat in front of a black & white 12" Zenith TV with rabbit ears that had to be moved around a lot and smacked on occasion to get a good picture (good in those days wasn't so good either).  Yelling and screaming as the clock in the 2nd half slowly grinds down.  My mother asking me if I had lost my mind.  She was right, of course.  I'm still a Jets fan today.  So obviously I lost my mind somewhere along the way.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Dcat said:

Per caption on the AP site, that is his father.

image.png

• Upvote 1

I used to love these threads.  But as the years have passed, all 54 of them, it only serves as a reminder of the futility of the franchise ever since.  54 years -- just way too long.  We need a team that can give us some new memories -- and not of 6 game losing streaks.

Honestly, it feels sort of hypocritical to be moved by a half-a-century old achievement; especially if you weren't even around for it.

Time is running out for some of us. Happy for the fans who witnessed those glory days; but the torture thereafter has been deterrent to any previous accolades hence the feel of an afterthought. 

18 hours ago, Dcat said:

I was 9 as well. Sat in front of a black & white 12" Zenith TV with rabbit ears that had to be moved around a lot and smacked on occasion to get a good picture (good in those days wasn't so good either).  Yelling and screaming as the clock in the 2nd half slowly grinds down.  My mother asking me if I had lost my mind.  She was right, of course.  I'm still a Jets fan today.  So obviously I lost my mind somewhere along the way.

Well that is 3 of us - same age.

We were watching in the front room of our house and as vivid as the game is I also will always have the image of a bowl of hershey's kisses, a pitcher of martini's and a box of donuts in front of my father as we watched. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Trotter said:

Well that is 3 of us - same age.

We were watching in the front room of our house and as vivid as the game is I also will always have the image of a bowl of hershey's kisses, a pitcher of martini's and a box of donuts in front of my father as we watched. 

That makes 4 of us around the same age. I vividly remember my uncle losing his mind because he was an original Jets fan from the early 60’s Titans days . . . and he bet $100 on the game which was a lot of money back then!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, WeCantDraftGoodQBs said:

That makes 4 of us around the same age. I vividly remember my uncle losing his mind because he was an original Jets fan from the early 60’s Titans days . . . and he bet $100 on the game which was a lot of money back then!

$100 in 1969 was upper tier. I remember my uncle going to the track with my father and hitting a daily double for $200. There were no mega millions or other big lotteries at that time but his reaction was basically as if he had hit one of those.

That was a significant hit back then. 

54 years ago?  SB III was the farthest thing from my mind.  On the 12th of January, elements of my division were in pursuit of 2-3 NVA battalions in the A Shau Valley.  My company was airlifted back to base camp on 15 January and at that time I found out the Jets had won.  I rotated back to the states in April...my company began a sweep back into the A Shau in the beginning of May and were outnumbered on Hill 937 and although they suffered heavy losses, they captured the hill!  The hill really had no significant military value (another waste) and the NVA moved back in after we left...watch the movie when you get a chance if you haven't already...true to form and very underrated.  Hamburger Hill.  Now, I'm 74...old and crabby and my apologies to some of you I've had some words with...waiting all these years for a SB and other life changes will do that.  Hanging on...not many seasons left.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

54 years ago?  SB III was the farthest thing from my mind.  On the 12th of January, elements of my division were in pursuit of 2-3 NVA battalions in the A Shau Valley.  My company was airlifted back to base camp on 15 January and at that time I found out the Jets had won.  I rotated back to the states in April...my company began a sweep back into the A Shau in the beginning of May and were outnumbered on Hill 937 and although they suffered heavy losses, they captured the hill!  The hill really had no significant military value (another waste) and the NVA moved back in after we left...watch the movie when you get a chance if you haven't already...true to form and very underrated.  Hamburger Hill.  Now, I'm 74...old and crabby and my apologies to some of you I've had some words with...waiting all these years for a SB and other life changes will do that.  Hanging on...not many seasons left.

You do not owe an apology to anyone.

You are deserving of all of the Thank you's that can be bestowed for your service.

You have a little less than a generation on me so lets all hope we see another one in the very near future.   

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, WeCantDraftGoodQBs said:

straight up, or did he take the 17.5 points?   I believe the line was -17.5 for Shula and his Colts.

1 hour ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Thank you for your service more than I can express because I was lucky enough to watch the game as an over-privileged college sophomore in a dorm lounge (so I'm 73 myself). Best memory of it is the impressed classmate from Texas sitting next to me who said "When Namath throws, he looks like he's throwing a lariat".

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

straight up, or did he take the 17.5 points?   I believe the line was -17.5 for Shula and his Colts.

My uncle took the Jets and I think he actually got 18 points. I remember my aunt yelling at him afterwards for betting $100 even though he won, I remember her saying what if you lost because that was a lot of money to bet on a football game. My dad only bet $10 but he was thrilled to win $10 and my dad gave me a $1 of his $10 and I used to it to buy a lot of football cards . . . which of course my Mom would eventually throw them all away! LOL

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1