Looking at the Jets QB Options

JetNation

4 hours ago, greasyt said:

Yes.....It may behoove Jones himself to hit the free agent market

If he has a choice, I don't see how he doesn't test the waters. The franchise tag for Barkley is pretty reasonable. So they have to do that and try and sign Jones.  

Should be fun...

• Upvote 1

I’d take Jones in a heartbeat.  But like Lamar, he isn’t hitting free agency.

Its imo really hard to see a world where the qb story breaks our way in anything approaching favorable terms.  There are so many needy, desperate teams searching for a qb.  There are a lot of bad fits and pretenders.  Even if you do find the qb, you are likely paying an enormous premium, and some require draft picks/players to go along with it.

I don’t think there is really a great answer b/c our timeframe is suddenly not clear at all, given the meteoric progress of the rest of the team.  We aren’t a win now superbowl team, nor are we exactly in the rebuilding phase.  A still young qb like Jones would be a perfect fit for this sort of timing, but again hes just not likely to be available.

Sadly the ZW bust might have set this franchise back a lot further than I initially thought.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, SCRUNO said:

Can someone make this face somewhat manly in Photoshop? Guy needs a beard and a better haircut. Nothing about this puss says “leader of men”.

089652B5-22DA-4979-A88D-A21DC44D4ADA.jpeg

Stole this from this board months ago…I apologize to the creator for the plagiarism.

EA271855-FB2E-451A-A97A-467BEAAD46F1.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 1/12/2023 at 11:13 AM, Warfish said:

He's not an "established franchise QB", he's a runner who plays QB in a system specifically designed for him (including the roster around him), and already is a huge injury risk for his future career.

Thank you... I want nothing to do with LJ either on this team...

On 1/12/2023 at 10:22 AM, Warfish said:

With what the team has said, and the firing of MLF, I am 100% convinced as of now that Zach Wilson is the planned starter for 2023.

I'll believe they'll get a veteran starter when I see it.  Not before.

At the very least, I would expect them to bring in a legitimate starter.  Then, Zach has to outplay that QB to be the starter.  If he stumbles, there is someone to keep the team on a playoff path.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Flashlite80 said:

At the very least, I would expect them to bring in a legitimate starter.  Then, Zach has to outplay that QB to be the starter.  If he stumbles, there is someone to keep the team on a playoff path.

Like Flacco, lol?  They saw him as a "legitimate starter".

We'll see, I could be far too cynical about JD, he has surprised me before, maybe he will again.

I just have a feeling folks thinking "big team-changing QB move" are gonna be disappointed, myself included.

We're likely looking at a Minshew/Wilson/White or Trubisky/Wilson/White group for 2023.....

• Upvote 1

Just now, Warfish said:

Like Flacco, lol?  They saw him as a "legitimate starter".

We'll see, I could be far too cynical about JD, he has surprised me before, maybe he will again.

I just have a feeling folks thinking "big team-changing QB move" are gonna be disappointed, myself included.

The idea that there is a "legitimate starter" that could come in here and then compete with Zach is laughable.  If they get a real starter, he is going to start.  People are sh*tting on Carr, Garoppolo and Cousins, but we have not even been sniffing Case Keenum level performance.  

I have no idea what they are going to do, but I do think they realized the absolute cluster**** the QB position has been.  They may not have learned it until mid-2022, but I think they know.  Hopefully that means they take some form of action.

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

trubisky would be the perfect JD pickup 

another 2 overall bust who doesn't really threaten Zach 

Exactly.

The Jets can mouth words about "got a veteran in to compete" without actually having Zach have to compete.

I hope I'm wrong on JD, I really do.

• Upvote 1

The more time passes, the more I think we're looking at a guy like Dalton.  Still think their priority is developing Zach and salvaging that pick.  Right or wrong, I don't see them bringing in any QB where the reaction is "Zach is done here".  If anything it'll be a Dalton or a very old short term option(coughBRADYcough).  Just my opinion.  

This offseason will be fun...

• Post of the Week 1

On 1/15/2023 at 7:21 PM, VJphillyfan said:

Brissett is better than Zach. But that’s not saying much. But then again you are a Zach cuck

First off, I am presuming you called me a 'cuck' as a term of endearment.

Second off, if you think I am the president of the Zach fan club, you MIGHT be suffering from too much of said 'cuck.'

Thirdly, Lets me open to turning over every stone when it comes to the QB position.  I would like to sign Derek Carr AND draft a QB.  And I would like to keep signing decent/middle-of-road starters AND keep drafting QB's until one of them is good enough to overtake our middle-of-the-road starter.  This draft lottery ticket, using high capital in the hopes you find Petyon Manning/Patrick Mahomes, is NOT worth the risk.  Most teams fail in this endeavor, and of the ones that fail, we fail the bestest, at trying to draft the next Peyton/Patrick with a top 5 pick. 

Let's just stop using that formula, and keep drafting them until one of them works out.

1 minute ago, bonkertons said:

The more time passes, the more I think we're looking at a guy like Dalton.  Still think their priority is developing Zach and salvaging that pick.  Right or wrong, I don't see them bringing in any QB where the reaction is "Zach is done here".  If anything it'll be a Dalton or a very old short term option(coughBRADYcough).  Just my opinion.  

Depends...

Carr/Lamar = Zach sits for the rest of his contract. Jimmy G/Rodgers = Zach sits for a year. Dalton/Minshew = Zach sits for 6 games. 

3 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I agree with you. All except Brady. 

14 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Exactly.

The Jets can mouth words about "got a veteran in to compete" without actually having Zach have to compete.

you're dead nuts accurate

this forum talking about Lamar and Aaron Rodgers like that's a real thing 

20 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Exactly.

If this is what’s happening then the owner is involved with protecting Wilson too.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Unless you bring in new coaches with experience in developing NFL QBs and they are successful.  That might be an easy fix.  

this is like saying bring a new architect that specializes in building a house in radioactive areas 

the whole "Zach wasn't developed" thing neglects the possibility he's impossible to develop

• Post of the Week 1