Saleh - Jets to be "aggressive as heck" to fix QB

5 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

I don't see a big improvement out there above Mike White, ZW is out of the picture will be cut, he can't hurt you guys anymore, move on.

The benchmark is Mike White, not ZW

I might agree but for White;s injury history.  Was injured 2x in 21 and then got hurt again in 22.  A QB in today's game needs some mobility, you don't necessarily have to run like Lamar or Fields, but need to be able to move around in the pocket, avoid hits and extend plays.  White has at least looked the part of an NFL QB, but he is a statue back there and I am afraid he will continue to take big hits and struggle to stay on the field.

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, Lith said:

Aaron Wilson (who was first with the Lafleur news yesterday) says  Calabrese is gone too.

Good, clean slate for the new OC, bring in your entire staff.  I'd love to see an OC that can do what Pederson did at HC, T.Law is surrounded by good coaching.  This is why I'd like a former HC that can build out the positional coaches w/ hopefully guys he's worked w/ in the past.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

I might agree but for White;s injury history.  Was injured 2x in 21 and then got hurt again in 22.  A QB in today's game needs some mobility, you don't necessarily have to run like Lamar or Fields, but need to be able to move around in the pocket, avoid hits and extend plays.  White has at least looked the part of an NFL QB, but he is a statue back there and I am afraid he will continue to take big hits and struggle to stay on the field.

I don't see anyone who is much better avaialble than MW, I hope I am wrong, but MW is a competent QB. Fix the O line and bring in a competent OC and I think hes as good as anyone avaialble 

• Haha 3

Top 5 defense that never generates turnovers and gives up the awful pl at the just the most awful time.

The young skill guys is a plus for sure

'Promise to fix the oline'.....snicker

Aggressive to get a QB, the question back is who you going after?

Can teams talk to other teams about players now?  Are we allowed to talk to the Raiders about Carr?

Just now, Zachtomims47 said:

I'm now convinced it's either Carr (because Woody thinks he's a big name), Lamar, or Rodgers. 

I'd prefer trying to give Rodgers a swan song ending w/ a championship or going yolo and having a blast w/ Lamar to the mayonnaise but I like it spicy! 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Speaking of Carr....he officially said his goodbye to the Raiders about 30 minutes ago:

How many weeks as a Jet until he’s referring to 2022 with the Raiders as “the good old days?”

16 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Carr has a no trade clause. So they should know fairly quickly if he’s interested or not.

He will waive if it comes with agreement in principle of a juicy extension once trade processed.

Just now, jgb said:

How many weeks as a Jet until he’s referring to 2022 with the Raiders as “the good old days?”

He will waive if it comes with agreement in principle of a juicy extension once trade processed.

I'm not even sure he would look for an extension. He just got a massive one from the Raiders.

He'll look for the most favorable landing spot, but if I'm Carr and his agent, the biggest thing for me would be to keep my current contract that makes him like the 7th highest paid QB in the league.

If he gets cut...is he really going to get $40+ million a year in FA?  I'm not so sure he would.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Best case scenario?

Dolphins sign Brady and fire McDaniel for some reason. Mike McD becomes our OC. 

Lamar wants out. Joe D makes the trade.

The realistic scenario?

Darrell Bevell + Gardiner Minshew (the perfect, we're not giving up on Zach, and Minshew is desperate to get on the field and sees real opportunity here, compromise choice).

The realistic scenario is just that.  Far more likely we see a bridge guy and a high end QB developer come in to work with Zach.  Going after Carr or Lamar pretty much ends Zach's career with the Jets and I simply don't see that happening. 

21 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Please enlighten us with all the exciting options we have out there, Debbie

I made a separate post where I said there are so many options it would make your head spin. You can critique them all you want- too expensive, not good enough, injury prone, can't play in bad weather, will cost draft capital, unlikely, 'i don't want him', too old, etc., etc. but ALL of these options would be a considerable upgrade to what we have now. Especially to Zach. And would probably be enough to lead this defensive minded team to the playoffs.   

In no particular order:

Brady, Darnold, Jimmy G, Daniel Jones, Jacoby Brissett, Geno Smith, Andy Dalton, Taylor Heinicke, Lamar Jackson, Cooper Rush, Minshew, Tannenhill, Carr, Wentz, Rodgers/Love, Jameis Winston. 

I'm sure there are others. 

18 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Does anyone know when can you start trade talks? After the Superbowl I imagine, the trade probably won't go through until the next league year

They can talk and agree in principal literally tonight. 

Nothing is official until March 15th. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, PepPep said:

I made a separate post where I said there are so many options it would make your head spin. You can critique them all you want- too expensive, not good enough, injury prone, can't play in bad weather, will cost draft capital, unlikely, 'i don't want him', too old, etc., etc. but ALL of these options would be a considerable upgrade to what we have now. Especially to Zach. And would probably be enough to lead this defensive minded team to the playoffs.   

In no particular order:

Brady, Darnold, Jimmy G, Daniel Jones, Jacoby Brissett, Geno Smith, Andy Dalton, Taylor Heinicke, Lamar Jackson, Cooper Rush, Minshew, Tannenhill, Carr, Wentz, Rodgers/Love, Jameis Winston. 

I'm sure there are others. 

None of the realistic options are any better than Mike White IMO, who is a competent but underwhelming option, much like the attainable guys on your list

• More Ugh 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

I don't see anyone who is much better avaialble than MW, I hope I am wrong, but MW is a competent QB. Fix the O line and bring in a competent OC and I think hes as good as anyone avaialble 

How can people still be saying this?  Mike White throws for more yards than Zac Wilson but he does not win and turns the ball over way more and gets hurt every second game.

Now White is competent enough that if the rest of the team was all pro like the niners he could be okay I suppose. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

The realistic scenario is just that.  Far more likely we see a bridge guy and a high end QB developer come in to work with Zach.  Going after Carr or Lamar pretty much ends Zach's career with the Jets and I simply don't see that happening. 

While I agree, GETTING Carr...but especially Lamar who is 5 years younger, will make ending Zach's career with the Jets inconsequential. 

In other words. Zach's ties to the Jets only matter because of the massive vacancy it creates at the QB position and the failure JD has to accept by whiffing on the #2 overall pick. I get it, he stinks. But at least with him on the team, as a talented 23 year old, there is still SOME hope for a turnaround. 

However, with Lamar (and to an extent Carr) on board, Zach, essentially doesn't matter. JD's failure to develop him or his 'whiff' is not nearly as impactful anymore because he 'fixed' the position- not just put a band-aid on it.   

19 minutes ago, JTJet said:

They can talk and agree in principal literally tonight. 

Nothing is official until March 15th. 

So if we agree before 2/15 his salary is locked in on our books for 2023 and 2024 but it doesn't become official until 3/15?

Also, the Feb. 15 deadline poses an issue. Theoretically, the Raiders and a team of Carr’s liking can agree in principle to a trade, but per NFL rules, no trade can be officially consummated until the new league year begins March 15.

So, while a deal can be made, there is always the possibility of the other team backing out before the new league year starts — and after the Feb. 15 deadline passes — and the Raiders being stuck with Carr and the $40.5 million roster guarantee.

One way to mitigate that concern is for the Raiders and Carr to renegotiate the roster deadline to March 16 so that the Raiders can release him should a team they worked out a trade with back out.

1 hour ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Unfortunately Carr has a say in where he goes and I just can't see him wanting to come here with Saleh being on the hot seat. 

every place that needs a QB is on the hot seat outside of Houston and they're not going for a 32 year old Quarterback

thats why they're on the hot seat

• Upvote 1