Saleh - Jets to be "aggressive as heck" to fix QB

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Zach with a new OCo/system designed for his elite RAS scores and skillz yo.

They're gonna be "super aggressive" to rehabilitate Zachypoo.

Part of that will be being sure he's not looking over his shoulder all year at Mike White, no divided locker rooms.

Zach, Flacco, Dalton 2023.

Lol.

only the Jet fanbase would be upset the HC is open to an entirely new offensive system to potentially salvage the #2 overall pick and play to his strengths and entice free agent QBs to come here ?

you cant make this sh*t up

• Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

How can people still be saying this?  Mike White throws for more yards than Zac Wilson but he does not win and turns the ball over way more and gets hurt every second game.

Now White is competent enough that if the rest of the team was all pro like the niners he could be okay I suppose. 

I think you and I have been in lock step on ZW. That said, I have seen this movie before, and I know exactly how it ends. I am moving on. This fan base WILL NOT allow ZW to throw another pass as a Jet.

I think MW, or any other attainable QB sets us up for 5 years of hoping to sneak into a 6th seed each year if everyone is healthy and we fix some holes.

That doesnt really excite me, i want a SB. I just don't see any difference between MW and anyone attainable.

• WTF? 1

45 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

I don't see anyone who is much better avaialble than MW, I hope I am wrong, but MW is a competent QB. Fix the O line and bring in a competent OC and I think hes as good as anyone avaialble 

career 8 TDs 12 picks 2 fumbles 75 rating 2-5 record

stop it already

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

So if we agree before 2/15 his salary is locked in on our books for 2023 and 2024 but it doesn't become official until 3/15?

Also, the Feb. 15 deadline poses an issue. Theoretically, the Raiders and a team of Carr’s liking can agree in principle to a trade, but per NFL rules, no trade can be officially consummated until the new league year begins March 15.

So, while a deal can be made, there is always the possibility of the other team backing out before the new league year starts — and after the Feb. 15 deadline passes — and the Raiders being stuck with Carr and the $40.5 million roster guarantee.

One way to mitigate that concern is for the Raiders and Carr to renegotiate the roster deadline to March 16 so that the Raiders can release him should a team they worked out a trade with back out.

Yes. His salary would be locked in to our books on March 15th, or technically whenever the paperwork is actually filed, which would most likely happen that exact day. 

As to the second part, nobody would be backing out of a deal that big. Especially if the Jets finally had a real QB in the bag. 

24 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

None of the realistic options are any better than Mike White IMO, who is a competent but underwhelming option, much like the attainable guys on your list

Who is 'realistic'? It depends on a lot of factors, doesn't it. How much JD is willing to pay in FA. What he is willing to give up via trade. Who will actually be available and who will be retained. 

Is Carr unattainable? Is Jimmy G unattainable? Is Jackson, Rodgers, Daniel Jones unattainable? Maybe. Maybe not. But any one of these guys would be MASSIVE upgrades. MASSIVE. Heck, Brissett would be a considerable upgrade. Over both White and Zach.   

White only played a handful of games in his career and he is fragile as glass. This is why he is NOT on my list. This is also why Russ Wilson is not on my list, concussions have ruined him IMO and he should probably retire. 

The point is. There are options. Plenty of options. You make it seem as if we are somehow backed into a corner to either play Zach or re-sign Mike White. 

Just now, PepPep said:

Who is 'realistic'? It depends on a lot of factors, doesn't it. How much JD is willing to pay in FA. What he is willing to give up via trade. Who will actually be available and who will be retained. 

Is Carr unattainable? Is Jimmy G unattainable? Is Jackson, Rodgers, Daniel Jones unattainable? Maybe. Maybe not. But any one of these guys would be MASSIVE upgrades. MASSIVE. Heck, Brissett would be a considerable upgrade. Over both White and Zach.   

White only played a handful of games in his career and he is fragile as glass. This is why he is NOT on my list. This is also why Russ Wilson is not on my list, concussions have ruined him IMO and he should probably retire. 

The point is. There are options. Plenty of options. You make it seem as if we are somehow backed into a corner to either play Zach or re-sign Mike White. 

You do realize most if not all of these guys will have some say in where they go right?

Who is coming here that as any options whatsoever?

I honestly don't see Jimmy G as being a massive upgrade over MW. Look at how much better the 49ers were with Purdy, it wasn't even close, and that was  completely stacked roster. I used to like Jimmy G a lot, but injruies have taken their toll on him.

I think Carr would be an awful fit here, and if he has any other options, no way he comes here. If he is here and his head is in it, he is a massive upgrade, I do agree, but I dont' see him coming here.

Jackson, Rodgers are a pipe dream.

Daniel Jones won't be avaialble, and was considered a huge bust before Dabol took him

ZW is done here, move on. Mike White is on par with largely anyone we can bring in. 

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Aaron Wilson (who was first with the Lafleur news yesterday) says  Calabrese is gone too.

Glad to see this.  This is exactly what I was saying a few weeks ago.  Pink slips for ANY coach who had ANY say in the offense + plus a total clean sweep of the QB room (sadly we'll have to keep Zack for cap reason unless JD pulls off another miracle trade)

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

You do realize most if not all of these guys will have some say in where they go right?

I honestly don't see Jimmy G as being a massive upgrade over MW. Look at how much better the 49ers were with Purdy, it wasn't even close, and that was  completely stacked roster. I used to like Jimmy G a lot, but injruies have taken their toll on him.

I think Carr would be an awful fit here, and if he has any other options, no way he comes here. If he is here and his head is in it, he is a massive upgrade, I do agree, but I dont' see him coming here.

Jackson, Rodgers are a pipe dream.

Daniel Jones won't be avaialble, and was considered a huge bust before Dabol took him

ZW is done here, move on. Mike White is on par with largely anyone we can bring in. 

Since this is all a reality, we also need to embrace the possibility that they trade wilson and make a move for one of the rookie qbs.  At this point in the game it is a possibility

7 minutes ago, PepPep said:

While I agree, GETTING Carr...but especially Lamar who is 5 years younger, will make ending Zach's career with the Jets inconsequential. 

In other words. Zach's ties to the Jets only matter because of the massive vacancy it creates at the QB position and the failure JD has to accept by whiffing on the #2 overall pick. I get it, he stinks. But at least with him on the team, as a talented 23 year old, there is still SOME hope for a turnaround. 

However, with Lamar (and to an extent Carr) on board, Zach, essentially doesn't matter. JD's failure to develop him or his 'whiff' is not nearly as impactful anymore because he 'fixed' the position- not just put a band-aid on it.   

Good post.  This really gets to the heart of the decision.  With Darnold being a Macc guy, JD had an easy call to reset the QB clock and trade Sam.  With Wilson, it's much harder since it's his guy.  But the math is still the same - it makes far more financial sense for the team to hopefully fix Zach on his rookie deal than it does to effectively give up after 2 years and go all in on Carr, Lamar or Garappolo.  That's why I still think we have a much better chance of seeing a Minshew/Brissett type signing with a high end OC/QB guru coming onboard to "fix" Zach.  I'd be surprised in a scenario where Zach rides the pine behind one of these guys.

55 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Top 5 defense that never generates turnovers and gives up the awful pl at the just the most awful time.

The young skill guys is a plus for sure

'Promise to fix the oline'.....snicker

Aggressive to get a QB, the question back is who you going after?

Can teams talk to other teams about players now?  Are we allowed to talk to the Raiders about Carr?

I do think this defense will look even better with an Offense that forces other teams to throw. We were built to rush the passer and intercept balls thrown under pressure. When the offense can't score, teams just run on us which neutralizes all those assets we spend on DL and DB

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I do think this defense will look even better with an Offense that forces other teams to throw. We were built to rush the passer and intercept balls thrown under pressure. When the offense can't score, teams just run on us which neutralizes all those assets we spend on DL and DB

Wish they blitzed a little more. Force them to throw quick and let Sauce jump some passes. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

So Saleh in his presser literally called Rob Calabrese by name as "a guy who is young and getting better every week". So, if Rob does indeed get chopped, it's about as clear as day who's calling the shots on staff.

Now reporting that Calabrese is staying.  A lot of conflicting reports out there, will just have to see what it looks like when the dust settles.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JETS SB said:

Lamar would be my choice but might cost too much. Carr or Garoppolo will likely be at a reasonable price or even nothing if released. Raiders won’t let Carr hang around once bonus goes into effect in February. I think Saleh would like to stick with familiarity, Garoppolo might be the guy, with Bevell as OC. Forced marriages with coaches hardly ever works. This will at least give Saleh a guy he has worked with before and successfully. 

Thinking Lamar would waste or WR group .

2 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

You do realize most if not all of these guys will have some say in where they go right? And??? Is it so crazy to think that a QB will want to play in NY, for lots of money, with G.Wilson, Moore, Davis, Breece, Carter, Conklin and a top 5 defense? With a GM like JD. Especially if JD commits to re-tooling the o-line and the Jets bring in a talented OC?    

I honestly don't see Jimmy G as being a massive upgrade over MW. Look at how much better the 49ers were with Purdy, it wasn't even close, and that was  completely stacked roster. I used to like Jimmy G a lot, but injuries have taken their toll on him. Yes, Jimmy G is a massive upgrade over White lmfao. White is made of glass (yes I know Jimmy G has been injured) but at least Jimmy G has a proven track record. At least hes a 10 year vet. Frankly the two are not in the same stratosphere. Maybe White will get there someday.   

I think Carr would be an awful fit here, and if he has any other options, no way he comes here. If he is here and his head is in it, he is a massive upgrade, I do agree, but I don't see him coming here. Ok, you may be right. But the Jets don't have an OC. So what fit? You don't think they can bring someone in that can cater to Carr's strengths if he was to get traded/sign here?  

Jackson, Rodgers are a pipe dream. Maybe, maybe not. These are both guys that its looking more and more like will no longer be on their respective teams. so why not the Jets if they can make the right offer. I mean seriously. I get it, its unlikely. But these are not the type of guys that are off limits if you make the right offer/go hard enough. 

Daniel Jones won't be available, and was considered a huge bust before Dabol took him. I agree on both accounts. But I also think the Giants made a huge mistake not picking up his option. I'm not quite sure what the play is. But that makes him 'technically' available. And Dabol DID have a huge impact on developing him. But that does not mean he will just completely flop once in a different system. Have you seen him play? Its like the light went on. He is accurate, he is sensing pressure, he is running with the ball decisively, he is making good decisions. Its not JUST Dabols system. Thats a complete copout. He's gotten much better as a player. Is that so hard to believe?  

ZW is done here, move on. He's not because he will be here holding a clipboard next year. Book it! 

Mike White is on par with largely anyone we can bring in.  No he is not. He is fragile and gets hurt from practically any big hit. No matter how tough he is. He has only played a handful of games in the NFL. And his stats are not great. Last year: 4 games played, 5TDs, 8INTs. This year: 4 games played, 3TDs, 4INTs. The guy throws for a lot of yards but he's not mobile, and for the amount of TDs he throws, he throws way too many INTs. Mike White is simply not that good and the Jets can do much better.

Ok. I disagree. 

Tallgirl Agree GIF by NETFLIX

1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

I'm not even sure he would look for an extension. He just got a massive one from the Raiders.

He'll look for the most favorable landing spot, but if I'm Carr and his agent, the biggest thing for me would be to keep my current contract that makes him like the 7th highest paid QB in the league.

If he gets cut...is he really going to get $40+ million a year in FA?  I'm not so sure he would.

His extension not what it seems. The guaranteed money is gone. He will insist on cut insurance before waiving a trade clause.

1 minute ago, PepPep said:

Ok. I disagree. 

Tallgirl Agree GIF by NETFLIX

Look, I hope youre right. Getting Carr would excite me. Getting Rodgers would excite me. Getting Jackson would excite and concern me at the same time. Time will tell.

We have an awful O line, a great WR, a RB that who the hell knows how and when he will return, and a bunch of jags on offense.

I think Jets fans overrated the offensive talent becuase our skill players have been so God awful for so long, that just having some guys who get picked on fantasty teams now made Jets fans overrate them.

NY is a tough place to play, high taxes. Lets see who the OC is. I hope we can bring someone in, but I don't see it happening.

I just don't see Minshew/Jimmy G being meaningfully better than White. Again, happy to be proven wrong

38 minutes ago, FactsOnly said:

career 8 TDs 12 picks 2 fumbles 75 rating 2-5 record

stop it already

LOL MW losses:

’21 BUF (11-6)

‘22 MIN (13-4)

’22 BUF (13-3)

’22 @Seattle (5 broken ribs aggravated before halftime)

4 losses, not 5

3 of 4 losses came vs teams with combined record of 37-13

And Minnesota game was lost by Berrios

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

Not to mention he is from California.  And went to school in California.  And played his whole career in California.  I doubt he goes "YES!" Lets go move across the entire country and play in crappy cold weather for half the season!

So he will settle to be Justin Herbert’s backup? If he wants to be a starter he will be coming east most likely. (Jets, Washington, Carolina, etc)