Woody Speaks: No playoff mandate

Rhg1084

Of course there is a playoff mandate. Openly stating that creates an unnecessary pressure on the regime. The only way they survive next season without making the playoffs is if key players get hit with a wave of injuries and the team still manages a 8-9, 9-8 season. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

This makes sense . I was thinking that they would hire an OC who could fix Zach. Then go with Zach and a vet next year. No one special just a decent guy to backup Zach. Since Woody is forcing them to start Zach he can’t fire them if Zach sucks again. I think this talk of him getting a QB who’s any good is BS. He is forcing Zach on them and there getting a free year to do it. mLF was told this but lifted cause it’s not going to work and his rep will take a big hit if he stays around Zach anymore . I hope I’m wrong .

• WTF? 2

1 minute ago, doitny said:

This makes sense . I was thinking that they would hire an OC who could fix Zach. Then go with Zach and a vet next year. No one special just a decent guy to backup Zach. Since Woody is forcing them to start Zach he can’t fire them if Zach sucks again. I think this talk of him getting a QB who’s any good is BS. He is forcing Zach on them and there getting a free year to do it. mLF was told this but lifted cause it’s not going to work and his rep will take a big hit if he stays around Zach anymore . I hope I’m wrong .

You're definitely wrong. 

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, doitny said:

Zach developing is like plan D right now. He's on the back burner. It's all about swinging for the fences right now. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, doitny said:

I think you are on this one.  The idea is to bring a vet in to be starter and see if Zach can be salvaged.  Jets are paying the kid for the next 2 years anyway.  Clipboard time.  At least until the vet gets injured.  Now a year from now, they can let him go with a far less dead cap hit than now. 

43 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

LaFleur was the Ounce of Flesh. 

1. Get a solid vet

2. Zach carries clip board for a year

3. Let him compete for starting job in year 4

$. Profit?

yeah Let zachenberg "compete" for the job in a contract option year... lol - just cut your losses. he would have to have the largest performance outlier in the history of QB's and he can't even complete a 5 yd screen pass consistently.

25 minutes ago, JiFields said:

kernels

from a #2 pick...... lol

We saw more than that from washed up Flacco, journeyman Josh Johnson, and never touched an NFL field Mike White.

GTFO with this "faith" in Zach.. I know they have to say it to try to save the possibility of even a modicum of trade value but damn.

Get Lamar, Rodgers or Carr/Jimmy - sign White as the backup

Trade for Hopkins. 

JD have another solid draft and FA and we good.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

16 minutes ago, doitny said:

you're always wrong

2 minutes ago, Stark said:

yeah Let zachenberg "compete" for the job in a contract option year... lol - just cut your losses. he would have to have the largest performance outlier in the history of QB's and he can't even complete a 5 yd screen pass consistently.

from a #2 pick...... lol

We saw more than that from washed up Flacco, journeyman Josh Johnson, and never touched an NFL field Mike White.

GTFO with this "faith" in Zach.. I know they have to say it to try to save the possibility of even a modicum of trade value but damn.

Trade for Hopkins. 

Rodgers or Lamar and we're going to the Super Bowl next year.

You might have to extend the contracts of Salah and Douglas to show any potential vet quarterbacks w no trade clauses, free agents or offensive coordinators worth a damn that there is stability… And if they have to be fired, it’s Woody’s money, I’m sure he has a few sheckels stored away

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

LaFleur was the Ounce of Flesh. 

1. Get a solid vet

2. Zach carries clip board for a year

3. Let him compete for starting job in year 4

$. Profit?

The only issue is that after year three is when you have to make a decision on whether to pick up a first round pick's fifth year option. I'm not sure the Jets will be any closer to knowing that if he sits for a full year.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Stark said:

from a #2 pick...... lol

Trade for Hopkins. 

^^Toxic

The reason for no playoff mandate: 

Ownership will make it clear that it's not a "one-and-done" situation and will give the new coordinator hire a 3-year contract, as well as the new assistants brought in, to match Saleh's. Usually that's the longest coordinators and positional coaches get (the standard is HC gets 4-years and coordinators/assistants get 2-years; Saleh got 5-years and assistants got 3-years). Coaches generally don't like coaching on lame duck contracts either so the standard practice is either a long-term extension or to tack on an additional year. While ownership did not meddle, they made their displeasure with MLF clear because there was no scenario where they were willing to extend his deal an additional year. The senior advisor thing could have saved him from being fired, but wasn't going to lead to added job security. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, PepPep said:

To be fair. Playoff mandates are stupid. They just are. 

But yes, Saleh is gone if the Jets end up getting a legit vet starter at QB and they miss the playoffs. 

Public mandates certainly are.  Counterproductive.

A controlled internal mandate (i.e. more appropriately called "Management setting expectations") is 100% fine.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Does Derek Carr ok a trade to a place knowing his HC and OC are going to be fired next season if they don't make the playoffs.  Rhetorical question, the answer is no.

Teams that need qb aren’t generally stable. Here are some the competitors 

washington 
Indianapolis

carolina

houston

maybe arizona (kyler ACL)

maybe New England (doubt they move on from Jones)

maybe Seattle (will likely keep geno)

Jets don’t seem like that bad an option comparatively.

• Upvote 1

People get upset at me for constantly bring this up re the Jets failed season but I'm going to bring it up again anyway.

The offense and all associated with it are killed for the late season collapse and justifiably so but not taking the defense and special teams to task is faulty thinking and deflection from bigger issues on this team.

People will pounce all over this post and show all the stats that say our defense is fantastic but if they even created an average number of turnovers in the last 6 games there is a good chance the jets are in the playoffs.  You also simply cannot ignore some major bad D gaffs at the wrong time of games that contribute to loses. (JFM roughing to negate a pick 6, Mosley going offside, Mosley failing to cover a slow TE for a long td on 4th down. Quincy Williams horse-collar tackle.)

And then we have the special teams, kick returns in two games, one basically on the last play to lose by 7,  another we lose by 3 after giving up a punt retunr td.)

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

People get upset at me for constantly bring this up re the Jets failed season but I'm going to bring it up again anyway.

The offense and all associated with it are killed for the late season collapse and justifiably so but not taking the defense and special teams to task is faulty thinking and deflection from bigger issues on this team.

People will pounce all over this post and show all the stats that say our defense is fantastic but if they even created an average number of turnovers in the last 6 games there is a good chance the jets are in the playoffs.  You also simply cannot ignore some major bad D gaffs at the wrong time of games that contribute to loses. (JFM roughing to negate a pick 6, Mosley going offside, Mosley failing to cover a slow TE for a long td on 4th down. Quincy Williams horse-collar tackle.)

And then we have the special teams, kick returns in two games, one basically on the last play to lose by 7,  another we lose by 3 after giving up a punt retunr td.)

People get upset at you for this take because you're effectively asking the Defense and Special to be perfect, in order to prop up a massively below-average Offense, then blaming the Defense and Specials for a bad season when they fail, inevitably, to be perfect all season long.

We win because Defense and Specials overcome the poop O. 

We lose when they can't. 

Either way, the O is poop, specifically because the QB's are poop, and that's the real primary problem.  That's the only priority.

• Upvote 4