Woody Speaks: No playoff mandate

Rhg1084

2 hours ago, David Harris said:

I'm actually a little reassured by Woody's statements.  It's big trouble once he starts making football decisions or forcing things on the GM or HC.

I hope it's true that this was Saleh's decision, if so, I respect him for being able to fire a friend.  It's possible the spin "it was a mutual decision" due to MLF's other opportunities may have been Saleh trying to do his friend a solid. 

I liked his remarks and they all seemed reasonable to me.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, David Harris said:

I'm actually a little reassured by Woody's statements.  It's big trouble once he starts making football decisions or forcing things on the GM or HC.

I hope it's true that this was Saleh's decision, if so, I respect him for being able to fire a friend.  It's possible the spin "it was a mutual decision" due to MLF's other opportunities may have been Saleh trying to do his friend a solid. 

Completely agree.  He couldn't have done better, even if only some of it was kernels of truth.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, peebag said:

Someone should tell Woodrow that the object of the game IS to get to the playoffs.

The object of the game is to win the SB, not just make the playoffs.  And putting a playoff mandate out there when you are trying to attract a new OC will make this place very undesirable.  Doesn't anybody see that? 

• More Ugh 1

4 minutes ago, hotrodcharlie said:

Longest playoff drought in professional sports but the guys at Al's tailgate party let Woody hang out for a half hour once so ya know, Jets fans are optimistic.

FFS this team owner sucks so bad

Yes he has but what exactly has he done since JD was hired that has sucked so bad?

We can’t make football decisions based on what happened 8 years ago.  We have to try to strip the emotion out of years of losing and make smart decisions.  There is nothing to suggest Woody has ****ed up the current version of the team.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Warfish said:

People get upset at you for this take because you're effectively asking the Defense and Special to be perfect, in order to prop up a massively below-average Offense, then blaming the Defense and Specials for a bad season when they fail, inevitably, to be perfect all season long.

We win because Defense and Specials overcome the poop O. 

We lose when they can't. 

Either way, the O is poop, specifically because the QB's are poop, and that's the real primary problem.  That's the only priority.

Nonsense, perfect?

Is two kick return tds in close games acceptable to you?  Is having one of the worst punters in the league acceptable to you?

As for the defense, do the jets have a good defense?  Yes, Do they have an awesome defense?  No they sure as hell do not. And that side off the ball has not taken even a smidgen of accountability for their play. 

I've brought up this stat before, the Niners who have won their last 6 games with a 7th round rookie Qb, Defense created 16 turnovers in the last 6 games.  The Jets who lost their last 6 games, many of them very close games?  Generated 1 measly turnover.

The team that wins the turnover battle wins about 80% of all NFL games.  If you are not creating turnovers you are not doing your job well.

Back to the offense bashing and defense and special teams praising though.

• Upvote 2

7 of 16 teams in the AFC make the playoffs every year. This season teams with as few as 9 wins got in, some who won their division like the Bucs won all of 8 games. If after 12 seasons of not making the playoffs,  the Jets in Year 3 of Saleh cannot eke out 9 wins, he deserves to get fired. Playoffs is either the mandate or this whole program is a joke. 

15 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Nonsense, perfect?

Is two kick return tds in close games acceptable to you?  Is having one of the worst punters in the league acceptable to you?

As for the defense, do the jets have a good defense?  Yes, Do they have an awesome defense?  No they sure as hell do not. And that side off the ball has not taken even a smidgen of accountability for their play. 

I've brought up this stat before, the Niners who have won their last 6 games with a 7th round rookie Qb, Defense created 16 turnovers in the last 6 games.  The Jets who lost their last 6 games, many of them very close games?  Generated 1 measly turnover.

The team that wins the turnover battle wins about 80% of all NFL games.  If you are not creating turnovers you are not doing your job well.

If I'm a coach facing the Jets, you know what I do? 

1) I throw short, high percentage passes because (a) your odds of beating the linebackers in coverage are better than going at Reed/Sauce. and (b) they are much less likely to be intercepted.

2) Tell my running backs that they will have 2 hands on the football at all times or they will be benched.

Why such a conservative, ball-protecting approach? Teams understand that the Jets offense isn't going to beat you. In fact, the Jets are only going to score if you turn the ball over and give them great field position or direct points.

The Jets can improve in this area, for sure. I'd love to see a safety with a nose for the ball and linebackers with more coverage speed. That's probably the focus this offseason on that side of the ball. But the offense certainly is a huge factor in why the Jets don't get as many turnovers (and saw that drop off in the 2nd half of the year significantly).

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, David Harris said:

I don’t think lafleur was fired as much as being asked to work under harder conditions.  It’s plenty clear he wasn’t a player favorite and parts of his offense was suspect. If lafleur thinks his body of work gets him another coordinators job he got another thing coming. Botching up an offense and a 2 pick qb isn’t going to garner much pro interest.

4 minutes ago, rangerous said:

I don’t think lafleur was fired as much as being asked to work under harder conditions.  It’s plenty clear he wasn’t a player favorite and parts of his offense was suspect. If lafleur thinks his body of work gets him another coordinators job he got another thing coming. Botching up an offense and a 2 pick qb isn’t going to garner much pro interest.

Interesting, the more I think it about it though the more I believe Saleh had seen enough and straight up fired him.  I didn't like the move initially mostly due to past optimism that wasn't realized by results.

The coaching instability hamster wheel is tiring but thinking back to all the games the offense was a complete disaster and MLF's head had to roll.  

- Zach completely imploded

-Yes, the offensive line sure was decimated but there were far too many free runners and empty sets - keep those TE's in, maybe use a fullback.

-No easy offense.  None.  Brock Purdy is throwing to schemed-up open receivers.  We were outmanned on every screen attempt.

-Regression of key players like Elijah Moore and Laken Tomlinson

-No identity

- And to top it all off no touchdowns - barely even any red zone opportunities.

The OC can't keep his job after that.  There is literally nothing to hang your hat on to keep him, just excuses.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Nonsense, perfect?

Is two kick return tds in close games acceptable to you?

Is scoring under 17 PPG and being almost top of the league in punts acceptable to you?

In the games in question, the Jets O scored...17 points (Detroit) and 3 lousy points (New England). 

Scoring that low, you're usually going to lose.

And the Detroit TD return was at 6:00 in the FIRST quarter and the score was 7-0.  Plenty of time for the O, if remotely competent, to make up for it when playing the 28th/32nd ranked Defense in the NFL ffs.

As I said, the Defense and Specials would have to be perfect, almost every minute of every week, to overcome such anemic offensive output.

Is having one of the worst punters in the league acceptable to you?

By what metric?  Mann had the 4th most punts in the NFL this year, and ranked 17th in Punt Avg.  Middle of the road. 

While he certainly shanked a few, again, he's not the reason we lost games.  And being 4th in the NFL in punts is a clear indication that the Offense is failing at it's basic function.

The Defense (ranked 4th) and Special Teams play in 2022 was acceptable, yes.

The Offense (ranked 29th) was not.

A better Offense gives some room for imperfection in other units.  

If you want to blame the #4 overall Defense in the NFL for losing games when we fielded one of the worst scoring offenses around, year after year after year, that's your choice.  But it's simply not accurate.  

We'd all love more turnover from the D, absolutely.  But I'd like an actual heartbeat from the O more.

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, Bugg said:

7 of 16 teams in the AFC make the playoffs every year. This season teams with as few as 9 wins got in, some who won their division like the Bucs won all of 8 games. If after 12 seasons of not making the playoffs,  the Jets in Year 3 of Saleh cannot eke out 9 wins, he deserves to get fired. Playoffs is either the mandate or this whole program is a joke. 

3 years is more than enough time to figure it out. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Announcing that there is no playoff mandate is exactly what needed to happen before you start searching for a new OC. So someone told Woody the right thing to do in this scenario.

I don't think Woody would have announced a mandate regardless....

He never did such a thing for the other bozos of yesteryear when they were on thin ice

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

3 years is more than enough time to figure it out. 

are you guys blind? or slow? saleh and joe have revuilt the whole roster. We are a play off team next season. you give no credit for progress? this is not bolews or gase who showed nothing. Every single year we are better on and off the field. Injuries happen but pay attention to what the team is doning. you guys act like nothing has been done. Thye are literally doing waht you want and have made us NFL quality. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Larz said:

Let’s hope he’s trying to make the idea of coming here for a QB or OC more palatable. I don’t like owner’s commenting on mandates anyway. Just creates media distractions and daily douche bag questioning. JD or Saleh should be publicly making those statements not the owner imho

Exactly, what’s the point of saying no playoffs they’re all fired.  
If they improve by a large margin and miss the playoff for some reason they’re all fired?  
Let’s face it, the team regresses, they take steps backwards, they’re fired.  
Best take, he’s butting out and letting the football guys run the show

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Not that any/many of us like coming to Woody's rescue here, but when was the last time an owner publicly stated to the media, "If they don't make the playoffs next year I'm firing everyone." And if it was done and I just can't recall, when was the last time it had the desired outcome?

A mandate is just a recipe for the GM to just spend on anyone/anything, lest any long-term flexibility was left on the table when he got fired (like Idzik did). In the process a GM on the hotseat gets the team locked into some really regrettable contracts & ultimately it merely delays his firing by a year. Fine for the GM who gets another year - or more, with another extension - not fine for the team.

Temporary red meat thrown to angry fans seems additionally imprudent as they're right now hunting for an entire new staff on offense. Who's going to come here if there's a do-or-die mandate in his first year here? 

From that standpoint, this is the right thing to say. He can still clean house after next season ends (or before it ends) without a mandate made the prior January.

Best we ever got was "Let's go out there and show them we're not a bunch of horses asses".

Concerns me the allusion that the list resides with Saleh. I would hope that Douglas is the one guiding this process. And the experience level in the league better be more than 10 years.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

are you guys blind? or slow? saleh and joe have revuilt the whole roster. We are a play off team next season. you give no credit for progress? this is not bolews or gase who showed nothing. Every single year we are better on and off the field. Injuries happen but pay attention to what the team is doning. you guys act like nothing has been done. Thye are literally doing waht you want and have made us NFL quality. 

Great. Make the playoffs. Turning over a staff and GM is not that difficult anyways.

50 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Nonsense, perfect?

And when the Jets went 6-3 they were among the lead leaders in TO’s.  We get it but it happens over the course of a season.  Especially when you’re in tight games, the TOS go down, while you’re playing with a lead they go up.  
Returns killed us in two games, directly lead to 2 losses and kept us out of the playoffs 

12 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Interesting, the more I think it about it though the more I believe Saleh had seen enough and straight up fired him.  I didn't like the move initially mostly due to past optimism that wasn't realized by results.

The coaching instability hamster wheel is tiring but thinking back to all the games the offense was a complete disaster and MLF's head had to roll.  

- Zach completely imploded

-Yes, the offensive line sure was decimated but there were far too many free runners and empty sets - keep those TE's in, maybe use a fullback.

-No easy offense.  None.  Brock Purdy is throwing to schemed-up open receivers.  We were outmanned on every screen attempt.

-Regression of key players like Elijah Moore and Laken Tomlinson

-No identity

- And to top it all off no touchdowns - barely even any red zone opportunities.

The OC can't keep his job after that.  There is literally nothing to hang your hat on to keep him, just excuses.

Excellent points. Identity? They had an identity. 1st down run up the gut. 2nd down intermediate pass. 3rd downdesperation pass. 4th down punt.

I think in the end lafleur had zwilsons head spun around so much he forgot how to play.  I also think lafleur’s style rubbed a lot of players the wrong way. He wasn’t able to motivate his players very well.