Colts Not Interested In Carr

THE BARON

On 1/13/2023 at 10:03 AM, Stark said:

yup no one wants that bad contract. 

Bad contract??  What?  If you trade for him, you'd hope he comes on that contract that exists.

He was guaranteed like $65 million.  The Raiders already paid him $25 million .  He's guaranteed $35 million next year....after which, if he sucks or you want to change directions, his dead cap hit is like $ 5mill in 2024 to cut/release him.  That's a good evaluation contract IMO.

Problem is, Carr has a NTC...and if he accepts a trade to another team he may ask to have that contract renegotiated for more guarantees...or he can reject a trade and wait for the Raiders to release him outright and subject himself to NFL bidding for his services.

I'd love him here on his current deal...and I believe the Jets would too.

• Upvote 3

Carr is going to bet on himself, with inside information.

Teams will want to trade for him.  If Carr wants to help out the Raiders, he will cooperate with the trade.  He can decide to stick the trading team with his current contract, which guarantees him $35mm this year and like $5++mm next year (but if the trading team keeps him he costs over $40mm-it could be hard for the trading team to let him go if he plays half way decent).

Or Carr can say I am not approving unless I get a new deal.  If the trading team says no, the Raiders cut him, and then he negotiates a new deal from scratch.  Who knows where that ends up, but I predict 3 years guaranteed at about $35mm.  That is a better deal than his current contract, which is why I predict Carr does not approve a trade. 

15 minutes ago, varjet said:

Teams will want to trade for him.  If Carr wants to help out the Raiders, he will cooperate with the trade.  He can decide to stick the trading team with his current contract, which guarantees him $35mm this year and like $5++mm next year (but if the trading team keeps him he costs over $40mm-it could be hard for the trading team to let him go if he plays half way decent).

Or Carr can say I am not approving unless I get a new deal.  If the trading team says no, the Raiders cut him, and then he negotiates a new deal from scratch.  Who knows where that ends up, but I predict 3 years guaranteed at about $35mm.  That is a better deal than his current contract, which is why I predict Carr does not approve a trade. 

I keep hearing trade compensation regarding Carr…WHY?

In exactly a month Carr is guaranteed $40M more unless they cut him. If they cut him they are only out $5M.

He’s going to be a UFA. It’s a gift it’s happening is so early in the process.

On 1/13/2023 at 9:42 AM, Joe W. Namath said:

Carr is awful.  Smart by the Colts.

I won't go as far as to say he's awful, but he's average at best. And he's a horrible leader.

The fact that Jets fans want Carr after how he acted with the Raiders considering we just experienced this dilemma with Wilson as hilarious

8 hours ago, varjet said:

Wait a minute....

On his current deal he's guaranteed $40 million over the next two years....but he's gonna reject a trade to negotiate a new deal for 3 years guaranteed at $35 million?  I suppose you mean 3 yrs at $35 mill/yr or $105 million guaranteed?

For Carr, that would be too rich for my blood before he showed he can be successful HERE.  But that's just me.  And I'm not too sure he'd get that from anyone...but maybe lol.

7 hours ago, NYJCAP2 said:

I keep hearing trade compensation regarding Carr…WHY?

In exactly a month Carr is guaranteed $40M more unless they cut him. If they cut him they are only out $5M.

He’s going to be a UFA. It’s a gift it’s happening is so early in the process.

With Carr, that's the rub....a trading team would probably like him on a residual 2 yr/$40 million guaranteed deal.  BUT he has a NTC, and can refuse any trade which will lead him to being cut at which point he can renegotiate a new contract, in all likelihood for more guarantees than $40 million over 2 years.

Question then becomes how much IS he worth to the signing team?  What's everyones 'price point'?

11 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Who are you hearing .

Very early, so take that for what it’s worth, but this weekend I got the sense from texts that it would be more along the lines of this:352A6C7C-B0BB-4C9E-8EBF-B2DA31CE0DE8.thumb.jpeg.aa642cd2bea7e121e8acc1e80b9d4944.jpeg

That being said, it’s not even a given 

• WTF? 1
  • More Ugh 1

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Very early, so take it for what it’s worth, but this weekend I got the sense from texts that it would be more along the lines of this:352A6C7C-B0BB-4C9E-8EBF-B2DA31CE0DE8.thumb.jpeg.aa642cd2bea7e121e8acc1e80b9d4944.jpeg

GQ Mike White...  No thanks. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Very early, so take it for what it’s worth, but this weekend I got the sense from texts that it would be more along the lines of this:352A6C7C-B0BB-4C9E-8EBF-B2DA31CE0DE8.thumb.jpeg.aa642cd2bea7e121e8acc1e80b9d4944.jpeg

Oh, that's horrible.

He is ALWAYS hurt.  And is mediocre when he's healthy.   And they just fired the OC that runs the offense he knows.

7 minutes ago, Pac said:

GQ Mike White...  No thanks. 

6 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Oh, that's horrible.

He is ALWAYS hurt.  And is mediocre when he's healthy.   And they just fired the OC that runs the offense he knows.

Not disagreeing.  Just heard over the weekend to watch this more than Carr.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Very early, so take that for what it’s worth, but this weekend I got the sense from texts that it would be more along the lines of this:352A6C7C-B0BB-4C9E-8EBF-B2DA31CE0DE8.thumb.jpeg.aa642cd2bea7e121e8acc1e80b9d4944.jpeg

Well then we mine as well start scouting 2024 QBs and coaches lol .. Jimmy ain’t surviving lol 

9 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

With Carr, that's the rub....a trading team would probably like him on a residual 2 yr/$40 million guaranteed deal.  BUT he has a NTC, and can refuse any trade which will lead him to being cut at which point he can renegotiate a new contract, in all likelihood for more guarantees than $40 million over 2 years.

Question then becomes how much IS he worth to the signing team?  What's everyones 'price point'?

It’s a 3 year residual though, worth $110M. 

That’s a different commitment than 2/$40.

10 hours ago, Mogglez said:

yeah starting to think as vet option probably best option but they must draft a guy like Tune, McKee, Haener and try to hit on long shot if they do any of these guys.  Gets you to 2024 when things probably start over anyway.

but the only way JD/Saleh salvages this program they started with drafting Zach is taking a shot on Jordan Love and Love is actually good/good enough or even if there is another Jordan Love type out there.  This gets JD back on that program schedule he would have had with Zach..almost. and gets you a guy with potential upside again and have team grow around him for that year in year out relevance they were promising.  of course even if they went after Love they still need to draft one of Tune, McKee, Haener this season as well and have 4 QB in room until it is solved.

11 hours ago, Mogglez said:

This always seemed to be the most realistic option, but given that their jobs are on the line I'm a little surprised that this seems to be option 1 for Douglas and Salem.

If he can stay healthy and we upgrade our Oline and Offensive coach staff - we're a contender.

If those things don't happen, new GM, new HC, new QB, new everything 2024.

If this is the route we're going I really hope we upgrade the backup QB spot as well. Nothing against Mike White but he's even more injury prone than Garoppolo.

Get Jimmy G and Jacoby Brissett (especially if we're hiring this Caley dude from Chowder Land) might as well pair him with QBs he / they are comfortable with, and red shirt Zack Wilson for 2023.