Aaron Rodgers + Nathaniel Hackett

k-met57

37 minutes ago, football guy said:

Don't know who will read this lol, but acquiring Aaron Rodgers would potentially solve a lot of issues long-term, and could keep this administration intact for a long-time to come. 

1. He's the one QB out there that probably won't require a long-term commitment but also catapults the Jets into playoff/championship contention immediately. He's the superstar QB who comes with a superstar salary, but he will not require the kind of long-term commitment and compensation that more suspect players like Lamar Jackson (injury history, sustainable play) and Derek Carr (meh) would require. I know its easy to say "the Jets would be a playoff team with Carr", but I find that hard to believe... you can't expect the defense to be as good as it was in the 2022 season- some regression is only natural. The offense will be new and there will be a learning curve. An elite QB mitigates that. Carr has a 63-79 career record and only 1 year of playoff experience. Lamar's injuries are piling up and given that he's a younger player with a certain playing style, it may not be a situation where he comes in and thrives immediately. Of all options, I don't think its such an overstatement to suggest he has the best chance at succeeding immediately, which is what we're looking for. 
  2. Aaron also gives you a lot more flexibility with your OL, which is an underrated aspect in all of this. We have enough talent when healthy to be stable-to-good, and the Jets will surely add more pieces throughout the offseason (some of which will be inexperienced). Aaron helps neutralize some of the inexperience because of his ability to read defenses/adjust blocking protections as well as process and release quickly... with Rodgers, that blitz/rush rate would drop significantly. 
  3. Whether it makes sense to you or not, people inside the building wholeheartedly believe Zach Wilson can still become a high-end starter. The old fashion way to deal with players like him is to provide them a change of scenery. The best way to do that without moving on from him would be to foster a situation with new personnel in the QB room (and at OC) that allow you to essentially "start over" and treat him like a rookie all over again. There are a lot of things that have gone wrong, but if Zach is going to rebuild his confidence and learn the commodity QB stuff, its probably best by doing so in the background- easier said then done, but a situation like this probably gives you the best shot at having him realize his potential in your own building. 
  4. Part of it requires some buy-in from the players involved. If we were to hire Hackett, that's a potential draw for Aaron. The Jets have a lot of skill on offense. Aaron's girlfriend lives in NY most of the year. Zach's idol is Aaron Rodgers and has been the current active player he turns to for advice. Steve Young, another mentor of Zach's, infamously sat and waited behind a HOF QB after being a highly touted draft pick who struggled mightily in his first 2 seasons. So there's a lot of connective tissue there to think it could go amicably. 
  5. Assuming Aaron were to play for 2 more years, you can still find ways to monitor Zach's progress in the background, but also bring in more young QBs to develop in the event he doesn't work out... perfect example: after Aaron finally became the de facto starter in his 4th year, the Packers spent a 2nd round pick on Brian Brohm as insurance. If what the Jets see out of Zach is sufficient, they can afford to take a similar approach. 
  6. With success comes job security, so assuming all went according to plan it buys Joe Douglas-Robert Saleh more years to see out their vision for the team. That could include everything from moving forward with Wilson post-Rodgers or simply drafting and developing another QB as the successor. 

OK- so how much would this 3-year plan cost?

• Trade compensation: it wouldn't cost more than what Denver sent to Seattle because Rodgers is much older, has a contract in place already, and has made it clear this is most likely his final NFL contract. Having been said, it's probably going to cost two 1st round picks. Yes, the 13th pick is a heavy price to pay, but if things went according to plan that 2024 1st would be much further down the order. Given the talent we've been able to influx over the past 2 years, this would be digestible. 
  • Aaron is due a ton of money over the remainder of his contract. The biggest factor is his $58.3 million guaranteed option bonus due at some point during the 2023 season (March-final game). It's all very technical and complex, but the Jets can trade for him, pick up the option, and spread it out through the final 2 years + 2 dummy "void" years of the deal, making the cap hits more manageable. If he were to retire after one year there would be some relief. The caveat would be high dead-cap bills in 2025-26, but with the salary cap rising exponentially each year, this may not be that big of an issue. 
  • This is where things get interesting. If the Jets are smitten with Zach's progress throughout 2023 behind the scenes and are confident enough to move forward with him as the starter on a "prove-it" deal, the Jets can pickup his option for 2025. Assuming Rodgers were to play at least 26% of the snaps next year, Zach would not be eligible for any of the high-end option escalators because he would not have met playing time or pro-bowl qualifications. Given such, his 5th year option would likely cost around $20 million. Given how much QBs are getting, this will be an extremely affordable salary for a starting QB in 2025 - a year where having a cheap starter will be beneficial given the dead-cap tied into the Rodgers deal. If they are not smitten with his progress, they can simply decline the option and move forward with a draft pick from 2024-25 or another veteran. 
  • If the scenario were to play out that included Zach playing in 2025 on his option, you can either (1) let him walk if he's not good enough; (2) negotiate and try to reach an extension; or (3) franchise tag him if all else fails. 

Of all the QBs available, Aaron Rodgers is who I want and who I think Woody Johnson and Joe Douglas would be most interested in. Time will tell if I'm right 

That was a nice write up, and before I say anything else, I wouldn't be upset over getting Aaron Rodgers. Now that we got that out of the way, do you really still believe in Aaron Rodgers? Tom Brady has beaten father time back, but I don't see that with Rodgers, and I don't see Rodger's production getting better with the Jets. Don't get me wrong Rodgers is still probably better than Carr, but I think it's a little riskier going for Rodgers. I don't follow how Carr will require more compensation and long-term commitment than Aaron Rodgers. Derek Carr's contract currently runs through 2025 and the Jets wouldn't have to give up one first round pick for him. In Rodgers 18th season he looks like he's turning into Derek Carr, so why pay two first round picks for a QB who looks like an older Carr? The only reason you choose Rodgers over Carr is for Zach Wilson whose idol is Aaron Rodgers. Over a 2-year window you get a shot at a Super Bowl, and at the same time rehab the 2nd overall pick. Your plan is obviously sexier than getting Derek Carr. Aaron Rodgers in a Jets uniform will sell a ton of tickets.

• Upvote 1

My take on Rodgers and I admit this is strictly fantasy but his personality comes off as he is always a bit disrespected especially when it comes to comparisons with Brady and Manning. I just see him being driven to the challenge of being the guy that finally got the Jets back to the Super Bowl and God willing winning the damn thing.

He is very vain when it comes to any type of criticism and while that might backfire in NY, he just seems to be the right mental makeup to hopefully get this done.

Now of course the skills still have to be there and at times this year including the last game you could question that.

Like I said fantasy but I could see him being rejuvinated with the young offensive talent the Jets have.

I will go back to dreaming now.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Trotter said:

My take on Rodgers and I admit this is strictly fantasy but his personality comes off as he is always a bit disrespected especially when it comes to comparisons with Brady and Manning. I just see him being driven to the challenge of being the guy that finally got the Jets back to the Super Bowl and God willing winning the damn thing.

He is very vain when it comes to any type of criticism and while that might backfire in NY, he just seems to be the right mental makeup to hopefully get this done.

Now of course the skills still have to be there and at times this year including the last game you could question that.

Like I said fantasy but I could see him being rejuvinated with the young offensive talent the Jets have.

I will go back to dreaming now.

Go get DeAndre Hopkins too. F them draft picks! Lol

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Go get DeAndre Hopkins too. F them draft picks! Lol

Im in.

The last 3 were Becton, Wilson and Gardner.

33%. And if you decide to go back further say the last 10 years of Jets 1st rounders, you might be in the teens.

Besides, only the young guys care about draft picks. My age group is F it - I am running out of years so lets go. 

3 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Im in.

33%. And if you decide to go back further say the last 10 years of Jets 1st rounders, you might be in the teens.

Besides, only the young guys care about draft picks. My age group is F it - I am running out of years so lets go. 

I hope Woody is ready to go full Stan Kroenke.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Don't know who will read this lol, but acquiring Aaron Rodgers would potentially solve a lot of issues long-term, and could keep this administration intact for a long-time to come. 

1. He's the one QB out there that probably won't require a long-term commitment but also catapults the Jets into playoff/championship contention immediately. He's the superstar QB who comes with a superstar salary, but he will not require the kind of long-term commitment and compensation that more suspect players like Lamar Jackson (injury history, sustainable play) and Derek Carr (meh) would require. I know its easy to say "the Jets would be a playoff team with Carr", but I find that hard to believe... you can't expect the defense to be as good as it was in the 2022 season- some regression is only natural. The offense will be new and there will be a learning curve. An elite QB mitigates that. Carr has a 63-79 career record and only 1 year of playoff experience. Lamar's injuries are piling up and given that he's a younger player with a certain playing style, it may not be a situation where he comes in and thrives immediately. Of all options, I don't think its such an overstatement to suggest he has the best chance at succeeding immediately, which is what we're looking for. 
  2. Aaron also gives you a lot more flexibility with your OL, which is an underrated aspect in all of this. We have enough talent when healthy to be stable-to-good, and the Jets will surely add more pieces throughout the offseason (some of which will be inexperienced). Aaron helps neutralize some of the inexperience because of his ability to read defenses/adjust blocking protections as well as process and release quickly... with Rodgers, that blitz/rush rate would drop significantly. 
  3. Speaking of flexibility, it also gives you a lot of margin to figure out your QB plans post-Rodgers. Whether it makes sense to you or not, people inside the building wholeheartedly believe Zach Wilson can still become a high-end starter. The old fashion way to deal with players like him is to provide them a change of scenery. The best way to do that without moving on from him would be to foster a situation with new personnel in the QB room (and at OC) that allow you to essentially "start over" and treat him like a rookie all over again. There are a lot of things that have gone wrong, but if Zach is going to rebuild his confidence and learn the commodity QB stuff, its probably best by doing so in the background- easier said then done, but a situation like this probably gives you the best shot at having him realize his potential in your own building. 
  4. Part of it requires some buy-in from the players involved. If we were to hire Hackett, that's a potential draw for Aaron. The Jets have a lot of skill on offense. Aaron's girlfriend lives in NY most of the year. Zach's idol is Aaron Rodgers and has been the current active player he turns to for advice. Steve Young, another mentor of Zach's, infamously sat and waited behind a HOF QB after being a highly touted draft pick who struggled mightily in his first 2 seasons. So there's a lot of connective tissue there to think it could go amicably. 
  5. Assuming Aaron were to play for 2 more years, you can still find ways to monitor Zach's progress in the background, but also bring in more young QBs to develop in the event he doesn't work out... perfect example: after Aaron finally became the de facto starter in his 4th year, the Packers spent a 2nd round pick on Brian Brohm as insurance. If what the Jets see out of Zach is sufficient, they can afford to take a similar approach. 
  6. With success comes job security, so assuming all went according to plan it buys Joe Douglas-Robert Saleh more years to see out their vision for the team. That could include everything from moving forward with Wilson post-Rodgers or simply drafting and developing another QB as the successor. 

• Trade compensation: it wouldn't cost more than what Denver sent to Seattle because Rodgers is much older, has a contract in place already, and has made it clear this is most likely his final NFL contract. Having been said, it's probably going to cost two 1st round picks. Yes, the 13th pick is a heavy price to pay, but if things went according to plan that 2024 1st would be much further down the order. Given the talent we've been able to influx over the past 2 years, this would be digestible. 
  • Aaron is due a ton of money over the remainder of his contract. The biggest factor is his $58.3 million guaranteed option bonus due at some point during the 2023 season (March-final game). It's all very technical and complex, but the Jets can trade for him, pick up the option, and spread it out through the final 2 years + 2 dummy "void" years of the deal, making the cap hits more manageable. If he were to retire after one year there would be some relief. The caveat would be high dead-cap bills in 2025-26, but with the salary cap rising exponentially each year, this may not be that big of an issue. 
  • This is where things get interesting. If the Jets are smitten with Zach's progress throughout 2023 behind the scenes and are confident enough to move forward with him as the starter on a "prove-it" deal, the Jets can pickup his option for 2025. Assuming Rodgers were to play at least 26% of the snaps next year, Zach would not be eligible for any of the high-end option escalators because he would not have met playing time or pro-bowl qualifications. Given such, his 5th year option would likely cost around $20 million. Given how much QBs are getting, this will be an extremely affordable salary for a starting QB in 2025 - a year where having a cheap starter will be beneficial given the dead-cap tied into the Rodgers deal. If they are not smitten with his progress, they can simply decline the option and move forward with a draft pick from 2024-25 or another veteran. 
  • If the scenario were to play out that included Zach playing in 2025 on his option, you can either (1) let him walk if he's not good enough; (2) negotiate and try to reach an extension; or (3) franchise tag him if all else fails. 

Of all the QBs available, Aaron Rodgers is who I want and who I think Woody Johnson and Joe Douglas would be most interested in. Time will tell if I'm right 

tease-me-rounders.gif

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Im in.

You're forgetting about G Wilson & AVT. Plus Becton looked v good his rookie year. 

1 minute ago, bgivs21 said:

You're forgetting about G Wilson & AVT. Plus Becton looked v good his rookie year. 

Very true.

I was simply going with the first of the picks in years where there might have been multiple.

If the assumption is you have to give 2 1st rounders for rodgers (strictly making that up) I was simply using the first as reference.

Hey I could have included Leo (turned out to be a good player but not rodgers) Jamal and for revisionist history Coples and Slugger.

On the positive side I did not include Quinnen. 

3. Speaking of flexibility, it also gives you a lot of margin to figure out your QB plans post-Rodgers. Whether it makes sense to you or not, people inside the building wholeheartedly believe Zach Wilson can still become a high-end starter. The old fashion way to deal with players like him is to provide them a change of scenery. The best way to do that without moving on from him would be to foster a situation with new personnel in the QB room (and at OC) that allow you to essentially "start over" and treat him like a rookie all over again. There are a lot of things that have gone wrong, but if Zach is going to rebuild his confidence and learn the commodity QB stuff, its probably best by doing so in the background- easier said then done, but a situation like this probably gives you the best shot at having him realize his potential in your own building. 

@football guy I think the order would be Rodgers , Lamar and carr !! I think Rodgers and Lamar are unlikely and we end up with carr !! Cowheard is friends with carr’s agent and tweeted ?✈️? last night…… meaning he is hearing carr to jets 

• Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, Cbucco19 said:

@football guy I think the order would be Rodgers , Lamar and carr !! I think Rodgers and Lamar are unlikely and we end up with carr !! Cowheard is friends with carr’s agent and tweeted ?✈️? last night…… meaning he is hearing carr to jets 

Cowheard might not exactly be the best source out there. 

There is a video out from the other day where he is talking about Brian Daboll and that his job should be safe in the offseason. I don't remember the exact words but it is beyond bizarre.

• Thumb Down 1

50 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

That was a nice write up, and before I say anything else, I wouldn't be upset over getting Aaron Rodgers. Now that we got that out of the way, do you really still believe in Aaron Rodgers? Tom Brady has beaten father time back, but I don't see that with Rodgers, and I don't see Rodger's production getting better with the Jets. Don't get me wrong Rodgers is still probably better than Carr, but I think it's a little riskier going for Rodgers. I don't follow how Carr will require more compensation and long-term commitment than Aaron Rodgers. Derek Carr's contract currently runs through 2025 and the Jets wouldn't have to give up one first round pick for him. In Rodgers 18th season he looks like he's turning into Derek Carr, so why pay two first round picks for a QB who looks like an older Carr? The only reason you choose Rodgers over Carr is for Zach Wilson whose idol is Aaron Rodgers. Over a 2-year window you get a shot at a Super Bowl, and at the same time rehab the 2nd overall pick. Your plan is obviously sexier than getting Derek Carr. Aaron Rodgers in a Jets uniform will sell a ton of tickets.

5 minutes ago, Cbucco19 said:

From what I've heard in the agent community, Carr is going to want a multi-year guarantee to avoid what happened to him this year. He was somewhat blindsided by it. I'd much rather put my eggs in the Rodgers basket for 1-2 years than put it in the Carr basket for 3 years. There is no playoff mandate, but any scenario where the Jets fall flat on their face will result in everyone getting axed... 7 wins or less will be unacceptable. 

If it doesn't go well next year and everyone is fired, next coach comes in stuck with Carr. Then that 1-2 year experiment fails and we're back to square 1 rebuild. 

Personally expecting Carr to wind up in TEN. Maybe ATL. I don't expect to land Rodgers but he would be my preference on a personal level. I just think he makes the most sense and gives you the most flexibility going forward, as well as the best chance to win now. The stats don't deter me one bit. When you watch the tape, he hasn't "lost" anything... this year didn't go as the Packers hoped for a lot of reasons, but a sudden Rodgers decline in ability was not one of them. His statistical production is more closely correlated with the poor OL play early in the season (which was why the running game was trash as well) coupled with a ton of injured and inexperienced pass catchers. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

From what I've heard in the agent community, Carr is going to want a multi-year guarantee to avoid what happened to him this year. He was somewhat blindsided by it. I'd much rather put my eggs in the Rodgers basket for 1-2 years than put it in the Carr basket for 3 years. There is no playoff mandate, but any scenario where the Jets fall flat on their face will result in everyone getting axed... 7 wins or less will be unacceptable. 

If it doesn't go well next year and everyone is fired, next coach comes in stuck with Carr. Then that 1-2 year experiment fails and we're back to square 1 rebuild. 

Personally expecting Carr to wind up in TEN. Maybe ATL. I don't expect to land Rodgers but he would be my preference on a personal level. I just think he makes the most sense and gives you the most flexibility going forward, as well as the best chance to win now. The stats don't deter me one bit. When you watch the tape, he hasn't "lost" anything... this year didn't go as the Packers hoped for a lot of reasons, but a sudden Rodgers decline in ability was not one of them. His statistical production is more closely correlated with the poor OL play early in the season (which was why the running game was trash as well) coupled with a ton of injured and inexperienced pass catchers. 

Any word on the Jets interest in Lamar Jackson? If JD let’s Carr go to TEN, he’s down to pretty much Jackson or Rodgers or he’s gonna get himself fired

• Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, bonkertons said:

Honestly this is kind of where I'm leaning.  A shorter term option(but still a clear substantial upgrade) which leaves at least some small window open for Zach to reclaim his spot here.  As bad as he looked this year, there is still obviously a lot of talent there, and part of me wants to see what a new OC and QB coach can do with him.

I’d be thinking the same way. If they think zwilson can be salvaged then they need a shorter term qb. A guy like Rodgers cab still play at a high level for maybe two more seasons. Assuming zwilson turns it around he’d be able to step right in. Guys like Carr or jimmy g would want to be starter for 3 or more seasons. Signing either one might mean the end of zwilsons career as a jet.

12 minutes ago, football guy said:

I guess we will see !! Breer just said jets doing their homework on joe Brady .. interesting name 

3 hours ago, choon328 said:

Jesus, the Jets have to either pick up or deny Wilson's 5th year option after next year. That option will probably be around $30 million.  How could you ever commit to that with him sitting next year behind another QB? Wilson is done here. Some of you guys need to wrap your head around that. 

LaFleur made it clear to management that his offense sucked because of Zach.  It sounds like Saleh agreed with him.  Management felt differently and fired the OC largely for not developing the #2 pick in the draft.  I suggest some of you guys who want to launch Wilson into the sun recognize that the GM, and I suspect the owner, have made the call to replace the OC with someone they hope can make Wilson serviceable, and will hold out until every possible avenue is exhausted before cutting bait...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, k-met57 said:

i feel like this should be talked about more. unless i am missing something this lines up perfectly

- rodgers has an inflection point in his contract this offseason which would make a trade more likely if packers want to move to Love

- hackett is coming off a failed HC gig and will be an OC candidate, obv has relationship with rodgers

- hackett and saleh have a working relationship, hackett could take the CEO of the offense type role

- Rodgers + Wilson together creates the mentor narrative that basically removes all QB controversy and lets Wilson sit for a year until TBD

what am i missing? 

4 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The Packers would take a $68mm dead money hit to trade Rodgers. Seems prohibitive.

Cecily Strong Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Upvote 1

I totally hate Aaron Rodgers, I wouldn't quit the team like I would if Brady signed here but I'd be anti rodgers from day one.  Hackett, obviously not a fan from his work last year but I do think he was scape goated because russel wilson is shot.
Whoa easy there big fella ... Both guys would be immediate immeasurable upgrades. (Brady/Rodgers)

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Not quite sure how the Packers extricate themselves from the gargantuan dead cap if Rodgers leaves now.  How do they get by that?  

Rodgers >>> Carr.  We’d be instant Super Bowl contenders. Saleh just fired Lafeur’s brother but they’re best friends and could help lines of communication.

Two major things

Would Rodgers want to come here? On Pat Macafey he said they’re not the SOJ after we beat them in Lambeau but he is well aware of the joke this franchise has been.

The trade compensation- I don’t know how to value him at his age and openly discussing retirement and it’s possible the Packers want to move him and get out of his contract. We got Favre for what ended up being a second and two thirds. What other teams would be interested? How many can fit his salary under their cap?

4 hours ago, k-met57 said:

i feel like this should be talked about more. unless i am missing something this lines up perfectly

- rodgers has an inflection point in his contract this offseason which would make a trade more likely if packers want to move to Love

- hackett is coming off a failed HC gig and will be an OC candidate, obv has relationship with rodgers

- hackett and saleh have a working relationship, hackett could take the CEO of the offense type role

- Rodgers + Wilson together creates the mentor narrative that basically removes all QB controversy and lets Wilson sit for a year until TBD

what am i missing? 

your brain?  

• Thumb Down 1

39 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Not quite sure how the Packers extricate themselves from the gargantuan dead cap if Rodgers leaves now.  How do they get by that?  

The cap calculators online aren't accurate. Since Aaron's "option bonus" is guaranteed and needs to be accepted at any point starting March-final game of 2023 season, they can trade him and have the acquiring team be responsible for it. That would clear them of $58.3 million in dead cap. Their real dead cap hit would be the remaining signing bonuses. They purposefully structured the deal with void years knowing that they would have at least $45 million in dead cap regardless if Rodgers plays out the contract or not. 

I'll try to lay it out here: 

• If Rodgers retires, they're off the hook for the $58.3 million guaranteed but incur $15.8 million in 2023 and $24.4 million in 2024 with a restructure, or $40.3 million right away without one. 
  • If Rodgers is traded, they're off the hook for the $58.3 million guaranteed but incur $40.3 million in dead cap. They'd "lose" $10 million in cap space this year, but I believe they would be free and clear of any obligation starting 2024. 
  • If Rodgers returns, they're on the hook for the $58.3 million in 2023 even if he only plays for 1 year. If he retires after 2023, they're on the hook for $24.4 million in 2024, 2025, and 2026 ($73.2 million total)
  • He'll be paid another $47 million guaranteed in 2024 if he's on the roster past the 5th day of the league year, a risk they probably wouldn't take if he wanted to deliberate his future longer. They could cut him prior to that, but it would result in a $68-73.2 million dead cap hit absent a restructure. 
  • If he played out 2024 on their roster, he gets the $47 million guaranteed, his contract concludes, and the Packers are on the hook for $22.4 million in 2025 and 2026 (or $45.5 all in 2025)

Purely from a salary cap standpoint, retirement is best case scenario but they would carry $40.3 million in dead cap without anything to pay for it. If you trade him, you're incurring that dead cap hit but receiving compensation for it, likely using 2023 as a "retooling" year. If he only plays one year, the salary cap situation only gets messier and messier. 

They basically structured this year around the possibility that Rodgers pulls a Favre and deliberates for a long time. Because if he declares he's retired, then unretires, they still won't have to payout the guaranteed bonus until the final game if they so chose to. Since he has a no-trade clause, they would be free to trade him at any point he unretired if they commit to Love before then. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, football guy said:

The cap calculators online aren't accurate. Since Aaron's "option bonus" is guaranteed and needs to be accepted at any point starting March-final game of 2023 season, they can trade him and have the acquiring team be responsible for it. That would clear them of $58.3 million in dead cap. Their real dead cap hit would be the remaining signing bonuses. They purposefully structured the deal with void years knowing that they would have at least $45 million in dead cap regardless if Rodgers plays out the contract or not. 

I'll try to lay it out here: 

• If Rodgers retires, they're off the hook for the $58.3 million guaranteed but incur $15.8 million in 2023 and $24.4 million in 2024 with a restructure, or $40.3 million right away without one. 
  • If Rodgers is traded, they're off the hook for the $58.3 million guaranteed but incur $40.3 million in dead cap. They'd "lose" $10 million in cap space this year, but I believe they would be free and clear of any obligation starting 2024. 
  • If Rodgers returns, they're on the hook for the $58.3 million in 2023 even if he only plays for 1 year. If he retires after 2023, they're on the hook for $24.4 million in 2024, 2025, and 2026 ($73.2 million total)
  • He'll be paid another $47 million guaranteed in 2024 if he's on the roster past the 5th day of the league year, a risk they probably wouldn't take if he wanted to deliberate his future longer. They could cut him prior to that, but it would result in a $68-73.2 million dead cap hit absent a restructure. 
  • If he played out 2024 on their roster, he gets the $47 million guaranteed, his contract concludes, and the Packers are on the hook for $22.4 million in 2025 and 2026 (or $45.5 all in 2025)

Purely from a salary cap standpoint, retirement is best case scenario but they would carry $40.3 million in dead cap without anything to pay for it. If you trade him, you're incurring that dead cap hit but receiving compensation for it, likely using 2023 as a "retooling" year. If he only plays one year, the salary cap situation only gets messier and messier. 

They basically structured this year around the possibility that Rodgers pulls a Favre and deliberates for a long time. Because if he declares he's retired, then unretires, they still won't have to payout the guaranteed bonus until the final game if they so chose to. Since he has a no-trade clause, they would be free to trade him at any point he unretired if they commit to Love before then. 

So basically...we're getting him. haha I wish.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, choon328 said:

Jesus, the Jets have to either pick up or deny Wilson's 5th year option after next year. That option will probably be around $30 million.  How could you ever commit to that with him sitting next year behind another QB? Wilson is done here. Some of you guys need to wrap your head around that. 

No they don’t.

16 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I’d rather Hackett than Rodgers to be honest.

You can be a good coordinator and a bad HC. Happens all the time on both sides of the ball.

That's true, but when a team can't get plays in on time without the fans counting down, can't convert a 3rd down, is the lowest scoring team in the NFL, and can't decide whether or when to kick, call a play, or whatever in 17 games, it's on the HC.  I would not be surprised if LaFleur and Rodgers carried Hackett in GB.  The Denver offense was a complete disaster and I want nothing to do with the coach who ran that team.

5 hours ago, k-met57 said:

what am i missing? 

This is my preference - would love it if we could somehow make this happen. Also, Rodgers and Zach are the perfect mentor/student combo.

16 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

That's true, but when a team can't get plays in on time without the fans counting down, can't convert a 3rd down, is the lowest scoring team in the NFL, and can't decide whether or when to kick, call a play, or whatever in 17 games, it's on the HC.  I would not be surprised if LaFleur and Rodgers carried Hackett in GB.  The Denver offense was a complete disaster and I want nothing to do with the coach who ran that team.

All the things an OC never has to think about