Aaron Rodgers + Nathaniel Hackett

k-met57

28 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

That's true, but when a team can't get plays in on time without the fans counting down, can't convert a 3rd down, is the lowest scoring team in the NFL, and can't decide whether or when to kick, call a play, or whatever in 17 games, it's on the HC.  I would not be surprised if LaFleur and Rodgers carried Hackett in GB.  The Denver offense was a complete disaster and I want nothing to do with the coach who ran that team.

Totally fair. I can understand your view on Hackett.

42 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I’d like a Jets QB I could personally root for which for me eliminates Rodgers and Brady. I loved the signing of Favre at the time but now I regret it. It’s personal not on the field I just don’t like these guys!

This is all a myth, honestly.  NY fans will root for anyone if they make the team better.  I remember Mets fans cheering Tom freaking Glavine(before he imploded and basically said "it's just a game" right after they were eliminated).  But yeah, if Brady or Rodgers come here and elevate this team, playing at a high level, fans will cheer for them.  They will buy their jerseys.  They won't gaf about where they came from or what they did in the past.  

..of course, if they come here and fail, they will be booed into oblivion.  Worse than anyone who has ever been booed before.  

There is a near 0% chance that Rodgers will be a Jet.
I appreciate now isn't the time when folks want to be real, or face the real world, but there is simply no way it's going to happen.
Disagree.. reasonable chance .. id put it at 10%.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, football guy said:

The cap calculators online aren't accurate. Since Aaron's "option bonus" is guaranteed and needs to be accepted at any point starting March-final game of 2023 season, they can trade him and have the acquiring team be responsible for it. That would clear them of $58.3 million in dead cap. Their real dead cap hit would be the remaining signing bonuses. They purposefully structured the deal with void years knowing that they would have at least $45 million in dead cap regardless if Rodgers plays out the contract or not. 

I'll try to lay it out here: 

• If Rodgers retires, they're off the hook for the $58.3 million guaranteed but incur $15.8 million in 2023 and $24.4 million in 2024 with a restructure, or $40.3 million right away without one. 
  • If Rodgers is traded, they're off the hook for the $58.3 million guaranteed but incur $40.3 million in dead cap. They'd "lose" $10 million in cap space this year, but I believe they would be free and clear of any obligation starting 2024. 
  • If Rodgers returns, they're on the hook for the $58.3 million in 2023 even if he only plays for 1 year. If he retires after 2023, they're on the hook for $24.4 million in 2024, 2025, and 2026 ($73.2 million total)
  • He'll be paid another $47 million guaranteed in 2024 if he's on the roster past the 5th day of the league year, a risk they probably wouldn't take if he wanted to deliberate his future longer. They could cut him prior to that, but it would result in a $68-73.2 million dead cap hit absent a restructure. 
  • If he played out 2024 on their roster, he gets the $47 million guaranteed, his contract concludes, and the Packers are on the hook for $22.4 million in 2025 and 2026 (or $45.5 all in 2025)

Purely from a salary cap standpoint, retirement is best case scenario but they would carry $40.3 million in dead cap without anything to pay for it. If you trade him, you're incurring that dead cap hit but receiving compensation for it, likely using 2023 as a "retooling" year. If he only plays one year, the salary cap situation only gets messier and messier. 

They basically structured this year around the possibility that Rodgers pulls a Favre and deliberates for a long time. Because if he declares he's retired, then unretires, they still won't have to payout the guaranteed bonus until the final game if they so chose to. Since he has a no-trade clause, they would be free to trade him at any point he unretired if they commit to Love before then. 

right so this is in-line with what i saw on twitter. packers have to make a call on his this offseason to some degree.

personally i think he is gone. paying him 60m + basically accepting getting nothing out of Love for an extra year of Rodgers is a very anti packer thing to do.

7 hours ago, CeeJayy said:

Beeen saying the same on social media.

Rodgers makes this team instant contenders if everyone is healthy. 

- better WR corps then GB

- Pretty damn good RB duo in Hall/Carter

- Top 5 defense 

- and we know he can play in crap weather unlike Carr.

Unsure how the money works out for GB or NYJ - not sure it's doable but at least try.

Not just contenders, but SB CONTENDERS!

Big Difference....

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bonkertons said:

This is all a myth, honestly.  NY fans will root for anyone if they make the team better.  I remember Mets fans cheering Tom freaking Glavine(before he imploded and basically said "it's just a game" right after they were eliminated).  But yeah, if Brady or Rodgers come here and elevate this team, playing at a high level, fans will cheer for them.  They will buy their jerseys.  They won't gaf about where they came from or what they did in the past.  

..of course, if they come here and fail, they will be booed into oblivion.  Worse than anyone who has ever been booed before.  

Not Brady! 

8 hours ago, football guy said:

Don't know who will read this lol, but acquiring Aaron Rodgers would potentially solve a lot of issues long-term, and could keep this administration intact for a long-time to come. 

1. He's the one QB out there that probably won't require a long-term commitment but also catapults the Jets into playoff/championship contention immediately. He's the superstar QB who comes with a superstar salary, but he will not require the kind of long-term commitment and compensation that more suspect players like Lamar Jackson (injury history, sustainable play) and Derek Carr (meh) would require. I know its easy to say "the Jets would be a playoff team with Carr", but I find that hard to believe... you can't expect the defense to be as good as it was in the 2022 season- some regression is only natural. The offense will be new and there will be a learning curve. An elite QB mitigates that. Carr has a 63-79 career record and only 1 year of playoff experience. Lamar's injuries are piling up and given that he's a younger player with a certain playing style, it may not be a situation where he comes in and thrives immediately. Of all options, I don't think its such an overstatement to suggest he has the best chance at succeeding immediately, which is what we're looking for. 
  2. Aaron also gives you a lot more flexibility with your OL, which is an underrated aspect in all of this. We have enough talent when healthy to be stable-to-good, and the Jets will surely add more pieces throughout the offseason (some of which will be inexperienced). Aaron helps neutralize some of the inexperience because of his ability to read defenses/adjust blocking protections as well as process and release quickly... with Rodgers, that blitz/rush rate would drop significantly. 
  3. Speaking of flexibility, it also gives you a lot of margin to figure out your QB plans post-Rodgers. Whether it makes sense to you or not, people inside the building wholeheartedly believe Zach Wilson can still become a high-end starter. The old fashion way to deal with players like him is to provide them a change of scenery. The best way to do that without moving on from him would be to foster a situation with new personnel in the QB room (and at OC) that allow you to essentially "start over" and treat him like a rookie all over again. There are a lot of things that have gone wrong, but if Zach is going to rebuild his confidence and learn the commodity QB stuff, its probably best by doing so in the background- easier said then done, but a situation like this probably gives you the best shot at having him realize his potential in your own building. 
  4. Part of it requires some buy-in from the players involved. If we were to hire Hackett, that's a potential draw for Aaron. The Jets have a lot of skill on offense. Aaron's girlfriend lives in NY most of the year. Zach's idol is Aaron Rodgers and has been the current active player he turns to for advice. Steve Young, another mentor of Zach's, infamously sat and waited behind a HOF QB after being a highly touted draft pick who struggled mightily in his first 2 seasons. So there's a lot of connective tissue there to think it could go amicably. 
  5. Assuming Aaron were to play for 2 more years, you can still find ways to monitor Zach's progress in the background, but also bring in more young QBs to develop in the event he doesn't work out... perfect example: after Aaron finally became the de facto starter in his 4th year, the Packers spent a 2nd round pick on Brian Brohm as insurance. If what the Jets see out of Zach is sufficient, they can afford to take a similar approach. 
  6. With success comes job security, so assuming all went according to plan it buys Joe Douglas-Robert Saleh more years to see out their vision for the team. That could include everything from moving forward with Wilson post-Rodgers or simply drafting and developing another QB as the successor. 

OK- so how much would this 3-year plan cost?

• Trade compensation: it wouldn't cost more than what Denver sent to Seattle because Rodgers is much older, has a contract in place already, and has made it clear this is most likely his final NFL contract. Having been said, it's probably going to cost two 1st round picks. Yes, the 13th pick is a heavy price to pay, but if things went according to plan that 2024 1st would be much further down the order. Given the talent we've been able to influx over the past 2 years, this would be digestible. 
  • Aaron is due a ton of money over the remainder of his contract. The biggest factor is his $58.3 million guaranteed option bonus due at some point during the 2023 season (March-final game). It's all very technical and complex, but the Jets can trade for him, pick up the option, and spread it out through the final 2 years + 2 dummy "void" years of the deal, making the cap hits more manageable. If he were to retire after one year there would be some relief. The caveat would be high dead-cap bills in 2025-26, but with the salary cap rising exponentially each year, this may not be that big of an issue. 
  • This is where things get interesting. If the Jets are smitten with Zach's progress throughout 2023 behind the scenes and are confident enough to move forward with him as the starter on a "prove-it" deal, the Jets can pickup his option for 2025. Assuming Rodgers were to play at least 26% of the snaps next year, Zach would not be eligible for any of the high-end option escalators because he would not have met playing time or pro-bowl qualifications. Given such, his 5th year option would likely cost around $20 million. Given how much QBs are getting, this will be an extremely affordable salary for a starting QB in 2025 - a year where having a cheap starter will be beneficial given the dead-cap tied into the Rodgers deal. If they are not smitten with his progress, they can simply decline the option and move forward with a draft pick from 2024-25 or another veteran. 
  • If the scenario were to play out that included Zach playing in 2025 on his option, you can either (1) let him walk if he's not good enough; (2) negotiate and try to reach an extension; or (3) franchise tag him if all else fails. 

Of all the QBs available, Aaron Rodgers is who I want and who I think Woody Johnson and Joe Douglas would be most interested in. Time will tell if I'm right 

This, this, this, and ALL OF THIS!!!

This is the by far the BEST solution to fixing the QB position, but STILL creating a path for Zach, and it would be the most cost effective both in terms of $ and player capital (i.e. trade, draft picks)

I LOVE this plan!

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

There is a near 0% chance that Rodgers will be a Jet.

I appreciate now isn't the time when folks want to be real, or face the real world, but there is simply no way it's going to happen.

Agreed 

there are also reasons to be highly skeptical that it’s even a good idea. He had a down year at age 39 and has already flirted with retirement. How many players have a bounce back year at age 39-40 (turns 40 in December) in that situation? 

39 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Agreed 

there are also reasons to be highly skeptical that it’s even a good idea. He had a down year at age 39 and has already flirted with retirement. How many players have a bounce back year at age 39-40 (turns 40 in December) in that situation? 

Rodgers was throwing to a bunch of nobodies last year.  He can still play.  You guys have watched too much Zach Suckage and have no ability to assess qbs now

23 hours ago, football guy said:

Don't know who will read this lol, but acquiring Aaron Rodgers would potentially solve a lot of issues long-term, and could keep this administration intact for a long-time to come. 

1. He's the one QB out there that probably won't require a long-term commitment but also catapults the Jets into playoff/championship contention immediately. He's the superstar QB who comes with a superstar salary, but he will not require the kind of long-term commitment and compensation that more suspect players like Lamar Jackson (injury history, sustainable play) and Derek Carr (meh) would require. I know its easy to say "the Jets would be a playoff team with Carr", but I find that hard to believe... you can't expect the defense to be as good as it was in the 2022 season- some regression is only natural. The offense will be new and there will be a learning curve. An elite QB mitigates that. Carr has a 63-79 career record and only 1 year of playoff experience. Lamar's injuries are piling up and given that he's a younger player with a certain playing style, it may not be a situation where he comes in and thrives immediately. Of all options, I don't think its such an overstatement to suggest he has the best chance at succeeding immediately, which is what we're looking for. 
  2. Aaron also gives you a lot more flexibility with your OL, which is an underrated aspect in all of this. We have enough talent when healthy to be stable-to-good, and the Jets will surely add more pieces throughout the offseason (some of which will be inexperienced). Aaron helps neutralize some of the inexperience because of his ability to read defenses/adjust blocking protections as well as process and release quickly... with Rodgers, that blitz/rush rate would drop significantly. 
  3. Speaking of flexibility, it also gives you a lot of margin to figure out your QB plans post-Rodgers. Whether it makes sense to you or not, people inside the building wholeheartedly believe Zach Wilson can still become a high-end starter. The old fashion way to deal with players like him is to provide them a change of scenery. The best way to do that without moving on from him would be to foster a situation with new personnel in the QB room (and at OC) that allow you to essentially "start over" and treat him like a rookie all over again. There are a lot of things that have gone wrong, but if Zach is going to rebuild his confidence and learn the commodity QB stuff, its probably best by doing so in the background- easier said then done, but a situation like this probably gives you the best shot at having him realize his potential in your own building. 
  4. Part of it requires some buy-in from the players involved. If we were to hire Hackett, that's a potential draw for Aaron. The Jets have a lot of skill on offense. Aaron's girlfriend lives in NY most of the year. Zach's idol is Aaron Rodgers and has been the current active player he turns to for advice. Steve Young, another mentor of Zach's, infamously sat and waited behind a HOF QB after being a highly touted draft pick who struggled mightily in his first 2 seasons. So there's a lot of connective tissue there to think it could go amicably. 
  5. Assuming Aaron were to play for 2 more years, you can still find ways to monitor Zach's progress in the background, but also bring in more young QBs to develop in the event he doesn't work out... perfect example: after Aaron finally became the de facto starter in his 4th year, the Packers spent a 2nd round pick on Brian Brohm as insurance. If what the Jets see out of Zach is sufficient, they can afford to take a similar approach. 
  6. With success comes job security, so assuming all went according to plan it buys Joe Douglas-Robert Saleh more years to see out their vision for the team. That could include everything from moving forward with Wilson post-Rodgers or simply drafting and developing another QB as the successor. 

OK- so how much would this 3-year plan cost?

• Trade compensation: it wouldn't cost more than what Denver sent to Seattle because Rodgers is much older, has a contract in place already, and has made it clear this is most likely his final NFL contract. Having been said, it's probably going to cost two 1st round picks. Yes, the 13th pick is a heavy price to pay, but if things went according to plan that 2024 1st would be much further down the order. Given the talent we've been able to influx over the past 2 years, this would be digestible. 
  • Aaron is due a ton of money over the remainder of his contract. The biggest factor is his $58.3 million guaranteed option bonus due at some point during the 2023 season (March-final game). It's all very technical and complex, but the Jets can trade for him, pick up the option, and spread it out through the final 2 years + 2 dummy "void" years of the deal, making the cap hits more manageable. If he were to retire after one year there would be some relief. The caveat would be high dead-cap bills in 2025-26, but with the salary cap rising exponentially each year, this may not be that big of an issue. 
  • This is where things get interesting. If the Jets are smitten with Zach's progress throughout 2023 behind the scenes and are confident enough to move forward with him as the starter on a "prove-it" deal, the Jets can pickup his option for 2025. Assuming Rodgers were to play at least 26% of the snaps next year, Zach would not be eligible for any of the high-end option escalators because he would not have met playing time or pro-bowl qualifications. Given such, his 5th year option would likely cost around $20 million. Given how much QBs are getting, this will be an extremely affordable salary for a starting QB in 2025 - a year where having a cheap starter will be beneficial given the dead-cap tied into the Rodgers deal. If they are not smitten with his progress, they can simply decline the option and move forward with a draft pick from 2024-25 or another veteran. 
  • If the scenario were to play out that included Zach playing in 2025 on his option, you can either (1) let him walk if he's not good enough; (2) negotiate and try to reach an extension; or (3) franchise tag him if all else fails. 

Of all the QBs available, Aaron Rodgers is who I want and who I think Woody Johnson and Joe Douglas would be most interested in. Time will tell if I'm right 

I'm sorry, but two first round picks and $50 million a year is a ridiculously absurd overpay for a 39 year old QB with declining skills who is now somewhat injury prone and is on the verge of retirement every offseason for the past few years.  I don't see Douglas doing anything like this and I think (and hope) Woody learned from the Favre fiasco in 08.  Rodgers is the football equivalent of a rental.  You get two years from him tops.  That is not worth 2 first round picks.  I'm not even sure it's worth one first round pick.  It's fool's gold.  

• Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I'm sorry, but two first round picks and $50 million a year is a ridiculously absurd overpay for a 39 year old QB with declining skills who is now somewhat injury prone and is on the verge of retirement every offseason for the past few years.  I don't see Douglas doing anything like this and I think (and hope) Woody learned from the Favre fiasco in 08.  Rodgers is the football equivalent of a rental.  You get two years from him tops.  That is not worth 2 first round picks.  I'm not even sure it's worth one first round pick.  It's fool's gold.  

All of this 

20 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

He’s missed one game in the last 5 seasons, that’s not why I’d stay away.  Or wouldn’t give 2 1st to get him.  It’s that he is a rental and you’d be lucky to get 2 years out of him.  

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, football guy said:

Just checking to make sure this is still on ?

People with the Packers have let people with the Jets know that they expect to speak with Aaron early next week

He wants to announce it on his own terms at the Par McAfee show doesn't he?

5 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Center portion seems to be bubbling up dome-like....its's either being overcooked or not uniformly and there will be well done and medium rare portions. Just terrible.....

Looks like a choice ribeye cut of meat. I like the Prime cuts whether it's ribeye or tenderloin. That and a very strong IPA or a STOUT beer to enjoy while cooking it on the grill or my new Ninja Foodi XL with meat thermometer if it's snowing outside. Can't wait till Lent season is over so I can get back to meat on Friday's. lol

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Looks like a choice ribeye cut of meat. I like the Prime cuts whether it's ribeye or tenderloin. That and a very strong IPA or a STOUT beer to enjoy while cooking it on the grill or my new Ninja Foodi XL with meat thermometer if it's snowing outside. Can't wait till Lent season is over so I can get back to meat on Friday's. lol

I’m cracking open the grill again in a couple of weeks.

Raised Catholic, but I don’t do lent because…ya know I don’t want to. But props to you for the discipline.  

• Haha 1

On 1/13/2023 at 10:25 AM, k-met57 said:

i feel like this should be talked about more. unless i am missing something this lines up perfectly

- rodgers has an inflection point in his contract this offseason which would make a trade more likely if packers want to move to Love

- hackett is coming off a failed HC gig and will be an OC candidate, obv has relationship with rodgers

- hackett and saleh have a working relationship, hackett could take the CEO of the offense type role

- Rodgers + Wilson together creates the mentor narrative that basically removes all QB controversy and lets Wilson sit for a year until TBD

what am i missing? 

The Young Pope GIF

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Just checking to make sure this is still on ?

People with the Packers have let people with the Jets know that they expect to speak with Aaron early next week

Oh it is on and in fact I will up my game.

anyone know if Golden Corral is in NJ?

• Haha 2

On 1/13/2023 at 10:25 AM, k-met57 said:

i feel like this should be talked about more. unless i am missing something this lines up perfectly

- rodgers has an inflection point in his contract this offseason which would make a trade more likely if packers want to move to Love

- hackett is coming off a failed HC gig and will be an OC candidate, obv has relationship with rodgers

- hackett and saleh have a working relationship, hackett could take the CEO of the offense type role

- Rodgers + Wilson together creates the mentor narrative that basically removes all QB controversy and lets Wilson sit for a year until TBD

what am i missing? 

Democratic Party Omg GIF by The Democrats

• Haha 1