Why is Frank Reich good?

BCJet

I saw that we have Frank Reich on our short list for OC but he is actually holding out for a Head Coaching job, so I wanted to see what kind of offense he would possibly bring here - the answer would be the 31sts ranked offense which got him fired from the Chargers.

Here is Reich's most recent coaching stops:

San Diego OC - he had 2 seasons with Rivers at QB, made the playoffs once

Phila Eagles OC - won the SB as the OC 

Colts Head Coach:  10-6, 7-9, 11-5, 9-8 and then fired after a 3-8 start this season

I understand that he was highly regarded as a coach but is there actual production on his resume without Pederson or Siriani on the staff?  I just dont see how he is the type of coach who can design, implement and call an offense on his own?  Can anyone provide more insight here as to what Reich would bring to the table?  I could see him as a great QB coach as a veteran presense on the staff but what else exactly?

The Chargers were a bit if a debacle during the time he ran thru there, but he is why Rivers agreed to go to Indy.

I also think he got the absolute most out of the roster in Indy most of his years there. Wentz and Ryan just weren’t good. Not to make excuses. I think a lot of players did develop for their offense, too.

3 out of his 4 full years in Indy he had a top 10 scoring offense with washed up retread QBs. 

He built an offense around Jonathan Taylor in 2021. Maybe he can do the same for Breece

Decades of experience working with QBs

Had great results with a young Carson Wentz In Philly before he got hurt 

• Upvote 1

• I think Frank Reich is probably the best, and most expensive, OC candidate we can get.
  • As we have seen, OC's tend to also be HC candidates, particularly ones with HC experience. 
  • Reich's record with the Colts, particularly if you ignore 2022, would likely make him one of the most successful HCs in Jets history. 
  • Therefore, I think it is most likely that that Reich gets an HC job or OC job with another team.  If Saleh was smart he would hire Reich hoping he saves his job, and then Reich if he does well gets the HC job he wants.
  • Let's see how the HC jobs shake out.  

8 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

for real?

Yeah when he was a candidate for head coach. Boomer looking out for his old college roommate 

I said, ‘You don’t want this team right now. I know this is the greatest opportunity of a lifetime. You’re interviewing for a head-coaching position in the NFL. It’s awesome. But I said you don’t want this job. There are too many uncertainties. You don’t know who your quarterback is going to be. Ownership goes with the wind. They listen to their fan base. They read the papers. They listen to sports talk radio. They get Twitter-fied. It was not, at that moment, what I would consider that great of a job.”

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

for real?

“I said, ‘You don’t want this team right now. I know this is the greatest opportunity of a lifetime. You’re interviewing for a head-coaching position in the NFL. It’s awesome. But I said you don’t want this job. There are too many uncertainties. You don’t know who your quarterback is going to be. Ownership goes with the wind. They listen to their fan base. They read the papers. They listen to sports talk radio. They get Twitter-fied. It was not, at that moment, what I would consider that great of a job.”

Boomer Esiason

I mean, at the time 2015, the roster was a complete mess. So...wasn't exactly a great spot to be in. 

• Upvote 1

He is probably the most qualified and best choice for the O coordinator job / assistant HC in the event he doesn't get offered another HC position elsewhere.  The negative, IMO, is that he would most likely only be here for 1 season as he will get another opportunity for a HC position again each year thus us continuing the cycle of changing coordinators and systems.   Also, would Saleh feel threatened by having a coach on his staff who could very well be his replacement if things go sour here?.  Does Saleh want just yes men working for him or is his internally strong enough to handle a hire like this?

There is I think a hidden reason Reich might come here. If he turns around the offense but we still fail as a team, he would be in a prime position to become next head coach. I like him as an option much more than Bevel which just seems like more of the same run run pass offense that will fail.

• Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, varjet said:

Boomer is completely correct, but I hope Jets blackball him from their press corps.  That is the difference between the NY and other markets.  In other markets their local teams can do no wrong.  In NY, we devour our home teams.  

I believe Boomer's quotes about Reich go back to 2015. Organization was in a different place. This morning he was talking about Reich in relation to being the Jets OC. I believe Reich also has a relationship with JD from his time in Philly. If he were promised a "next in line as HC" offer should Saleh fail and paid near HC $ (ex. as an assistant HC) title), I think the NYJ would be a very attractive situation.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Larz said:

Yeah when he was a candidate for head coach. Boomer looking out for his old college roommate 

I said, ‘You don’t want this team right now. I know this is the greatest opportunity of a lifetime. You’re interviewing for a head-coaching position in the NFL. It’s awesome. But I said you don’t want this job. There are too many uncertainties. You don’t know who your quarterback is going to be. Ownership goes with the wind. They listen to their fan base. They read the papers. They listen to sports talk radio. They get Twitter-fied. It was not, at that moment, what I would consider that great of a job.”

Was this 2009 before we hired Rex?  I remember Reich interviewing for the job then.  I thought he was also considered after Rex got fired in 2015 and we chose Bowles over him

21 minutes ago, VJphillyfan said:

Was this 2009 before we hired Rex?  I remember Reich interviewing for the job then.  I thought he was also considered after Rex got fired in 2015 and we chose Bowles over him

2015 but the point is that boomer told Reich to pass. The jets settled on Bowles 

Guy we would be lucky to have him as our oc but I doubt he doesn't get another HC job next season.

If we were to get him he would turn whatever qb led team we had into the productive offense day 1. 

The reality whoever gets the job, I wish it was him, will need Joe to do his thing and get the healthy line and someone at QB that is decent. Whether that is Mike white or some one else.

Make no mistake Mike white is probably the qb next year and an offense built around his strength...RB and quick passes with a few deep balls mixed in, but all big runing games. We will go to play offs.

• Upvote 2

Frank Reich isn’t coming here, nor should he.  The notion that he would come here because he could become the next head coach is ludicrous.  If the team performs poorly and Saleh is fired it is most likely because the offense failed to play at a playoff level and therefore is an indictment on Reich, so why would he earn a promotion?   Also, NO WHERE in the handbook “How to Become an NFL Head Coach”  does it state “become the offensive coordinator of the NY Jets”.   It’s been a dead end job and it’s a pretty bad situation right now.   A guy like Reich will have much better options.  

9 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Frank Reich isn’t coming here, nor should he.  The notion that he would come here because he could become the next head coach is ludicrous.  If the team performs poorly and Saleh is fired it is most likely because the offense failed to play at a playoff level and therefore is an indictment on Reich, so why would he earn a promotion?   Also, NO WHERE in the handbook “How to Become an NFL Head Coach”  does it state “become the offensive coordinator of the NY Jets”.   It’s been a dead end job and it’s a pretty bad situation right now.   A guy like Reich will have much better options.  

FFS way to crush all their dreams lol

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Guy we would be lucky to have him as our oc but I doubt he doesn't get another HC job next season.

If we were to get him he would turn whatever qb led team we had into the productive offense day 1. 

The reality whoever gets the job, I wish it was him, will need Joe to do his thing and get the healthy line and someone at QB that is decent. Whether that is Mike white or some one else.

Make no mistake Mike white is probably the qb next year and an offense built around his strength...RB and quick passes with a few deep balls mixed in, but all big runing games. We will go to play offs.

I think Carr will get a big offer as the gem this season, but if JD misses on Carr (likely as 10 teams may try for Carr) White comes into play.  Carr is the only realistic option that makes me excited for next season.  He will get a huge offer from the Jets.

I don’t think White was good last season but I think it was LeFluer issues.  (Only TD pass was against the Bears, 4 picks no scoring.). That’s not the sure thing management is looking for.  But it’s still better than lots of the names being thrown around.  

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

I think Carr will get a big offer as the gem this season, but if JD misses on Carr (likely as 10 teams may try for Carr) White comes into play.  Carr is the only realistic option that makes me excited for next season.  He will get a huge offer from the Jets.

I don’t think White was good last season but I think it was LeFluer issues.  (Only TD pass was against the Bears, 4 picks no scoring.). That’s not the sure thing management is looking for.  But it’s still better than lots of the names being thrown around.  

Carr gonna get paid. Lot will depend on behind the scenes woody mandate/etc on JD to get “the prize.” Carr also eliminates a future for BYU, as Carr will command and get (from us or elsewhere) a long term deal. IF (a big if) the Jets have some hope for BYU in future won’t they prefer a Rodgers/Brady play for 1-2 years?

6 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

anything can happen..jets are ludicrous and so are the fans

5 hours ago, jgb said:

Carr gonna get paid. Lot will depend on behind the scenes woody mandate/etc on JD to get “the prize.” Carr also eliminates a future for BYU, as Carr will command and get (from us or elsewhere) a long term deal. IF (a big if) the Jets have some hope for BYU in future won’t they prefer a Rodgers/Brady play for 1-2 years?

Im actually starting to come around to Carr altho not my 1st choice but if they do Carr then I also wanna see them draft one of the QBs in draft as long as it not the 1st round...best they can get.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Perhaps he has some nostalgia from his run here with Kotite and has the itch to come back

On 1/13/2023 at 11:53 AM, varjet said:

Boomer is completely correct, but I hope Jets blackball him from their press corps.  That is the difference between the NY and other markets.  In other markets their local teams can do no wrong.  In NY, we devour our home teams.  

Boomer is a loud mouth. He thinks he knows what he’s talking about. He was a loud mouth even when he was a decent qb with the bengals.  I wonder if he knew icky was going get all coked up before the Super Bowl?