Lamar Jackson talk is completely triggering me

JohnnyLV

7 minutes ago, undertow said:

You get your football information from Jake Asman and you are insulting other people? lmao  Plus you thought Zach WIlson was Patrick Mahomes a month ago calm down. 

Yes silly me for believing people with legit connections, the people here are wayyyyyy more knowledgeable and accurate. 

Sorry

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Go all-in against the run, with a man (LB) assigned to Lamar, and orders to hit him as hard as possible every time he runs the ball. 

There would be little reason to respect the pass in that scenario.  Lamar is not a good passer.

Also "getting a sh*tload of linemen" is alot harder than you seem to think, JD has "just got" a ton so far, most of them suck, can;t stay on the field, or both.

Make no mistake, it would be better than the Wilson/White/Flacco poopshow we have now.  But the costs would be huge (in terms of prying him out from under Baltimore's likely Franchise Tag, and his salary cap ramifications).

So Lamar might mean not resigning QW, or Sauce/G.Wilson in a few years, or worse.

I want a QB too.  Lamar is too costly for the level of risk and specialized college-style offensive system and players needed to make it work.

Keep in mind, the league has started to figure out Lamar as well.  The Baltimore Offense has gone from #1 when he was a surprising rookie, to 7, 17 now 19 this year.  Lamar is surprising anyone anymore.

The last two years the Ravens have had a sh*t ton of injuries, especially to their RBs and OL. With a healthy Dobbins and healthy Edwards, it's a different offense.

10 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

The last two years the Ravens have had a sh*t ton of injuries

You're a Jets Fan, right?

How has our health been the last, oh, 20 years or so?

We regularly are in the top of the league for injuries/lost time for our players, often our best players.

10 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

, especially to their RBs and OL. With a healthy Dobbins and healthy Edwards, it's a different offense.

Think our O-line and RB's are suddenly going to be paragons of durability and health?

Come on Tranq, you know better mate.

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

JD is gonna be all in and this year and try to make a big splash at QB position. His job is on the line here

yep.  So he's not selling the future salary cap for a QB who misses more than 1/3 of the games. Let alone give up a bunch of 1st rounders for that.  

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

JD is gonna be all in and this year and try to make a big splash at QB position. His job is on the line here

I agree with this theory on JD (and Saleh's) desperation this year, it's just that Lamar is such a gamble @ that cost.

2 firsts and 250 mil?

I'd likely pursue Rodgers (presumably cheaper in a trade?) and Carr first.

Realistically, I'll just be happy with one of the three - Lamar, Rodgers or Carr.

I understand they have to just roll with who's available and who is willing to come here - so I'm not going to be particularly selective.

We don't want to be the team that ends up with Jimmy G.

• Upvote 2

I think a lot of the lamar talk could be moot because the Carr sweepstakes will happen in February.  Lamar likely wont get dealt until very close to the draft to maximize return.  It would take balls of steel for JD to pass on Carr with the HOPE of trading for Lamar.  Obviously, GM's and league executives likely have back channels for information.  If JD doesn't sign Carr and he lets the QB spot sit, my guess is he's heard Lamar is available.  If that ends up being the case, he almost has to dive into that pool because at that point it may be Lamar or bust. 

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You're a Jets Fan, right?

How has our health been the last, oh, 20 years or so?

We regularly are in the top of the league for injuries/lost time for our players, often our best players.

Think our O-line and RB's are suddenly going to be paragons of durability and health?

Come on Tranq, you know better mate.

You're not wrong about that but we gotta hope for the best, otherwise we can never build a title team

6 minutes ago, usanyj said:

I think a lot of the lamar talk could be moot because the Carr sweepstakes will happen in February.  Lamar likely wont get dealt until very close to the draft to maximize return.  It would take balls of steel for JD to pass on Carr with the HOPE of trading for Lamar.  Obviously, GM's and league executives likely have back channels for information.  If JD doesn't sign Carr and he lets the QB spot sit, my guess is he's heard Lamar is available.  If that ends up being the case, he almost has to dive into that pool because at that point it may be Lamar or bust. 

Yea this is where I'm at too - make a move on the first QB available between Rodgers (via trade), Carr (mid Feb cut) or Lamar.

13 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

You're not wrong about that but we gotta hope for the best, otherwise we can never build a title team

If your plan relies on "hope", you're already sunk before you ever start.

Proper planning is slow, boring and methodical.  And hope pretty much never enters the picture, not without contingencies built on contingencies.

When you feel desperate, that is exactly the time to not ACT desperate.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If your plan relies on "hope", you're already sunk before you ever start.

Proper planning is slow, boring and methodical.  And hope pretty much never enters the picture, not without contingencies built on contingencies.

When you feel desperate, that is exactly the time to not ACT desperate.

What I'm saying is that we're not gonna be ****ed with injuries every year. This year the 49ers finally lucked out. Reminds me of fantasy football, how people didn't want to draft McCaffrey cause he always gets hurt. Of course we plan contingencies. What's happened to the Ravens and Jets goes past contingencies. It's not bound to happen every year.

17 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

What I'm saying is that we're not gonna be ****ed with injuries every year. This year the 49ers finally lucked out. Reminds me of fantasy football, how people didn't want to draft McCaffrey cause he always gets hurt. Of course we plan contingencies. What's happened to the Ravens and Jets goes past contingencies. It's not bound to happen every year.

When was the last year we didn't get screwed by injuries (quality and quality)?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Tranquilo said:

Get Lamar, draft a sh*t load of linemen, if you can swing it, get Hopkins. This is the way.

Do you guys realize how unstoppable this offense would be with Lamar and Breece Hall? How the **** would anyone defend that sh*t

With all due respect, I do not understand this line of thinking at all, so help me.

The Ravens lead the league in rushing attempts up until this year, have OUTSTANDING coaching, have an outstanding OL rated number 2 in the NFL, for example, this year, with the least amount of pressures allowed, have quality TEs and WRs, and guess what....... the Ravens didn't win & HAVEN'T WON SQUAT!!

Again, Jackson didn't win with that very good team around him, with an offense specially crafted for him that no other team in the NFL runs, and magically he is supposed to carry us after we cut guys, currently have poor OL play, and then pay him a guaranteed 50 Million a year when he can't stay healthy!

I just don't get it... :( 

So help me understand, please.....

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

With all due respect, I do not understand this line of thinking at all, so help me.

The Ravens lead the league in rushing attempts up until this year, have OUTSTANDING coaching, have an outstanding OL rated number 2 in the NFL, for example, this year, with the least amount of pressures allowed, have quality TEs and WRs, and guess what....... the Ravens didn't win & HAVEN'T WON SQUAT!!

Again, Jackson didn't win with that very good team around him, with an offense specially crafted for him that no other team in the NFL runs, and magically he is supposed to carry us after we cut guys, currently have poor OL play, and then pay him a guaranteed 50 Million a year when he can't stay healthy!

I just don't get it... :( 

So help me understand, please.....

They were good, solid teams. Playoff success wasn't there, but sometimes it takes time.

We aren't going to find ******* John Elway out there (who didn't win "Squat" till late in his career, btw). Every QB we go after will have warts.

But our o-line can be dominant if guys stay healthy, our running game will be better cause Hall is better, and our WRs are objectively better. What we can supply is a dominant defense, and that's the name of the game.

Nothing is guaranteed. Jackson is good, and you can build around him to be a winning team. That's worth it, IMO.

No need for the bullsh*t "so help me understand, please." We can disagree and leave it at that.

• Upvote 2

The desperate Jets, let by the desperate Woody, JD and Saleh, are destined to bet the farm on a circus act like Lamar Jackson.   Woody has always been more interested in the circus show than building a quality football team.   This will be too tempting for him, and the Ravens are licking their chops knowing it.  The JD connection will sell it.  The NFL will intervene because they dont’ want Lamar sitting at home, and they will pressure in a team in the large NYC market to take him in.  

Don’t get me wrong-I think Lamar Jackson could be interesting, but at a reasonable price.  

The Jets are the team most likely to fall into this trap.  Wait and see.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

The desperate Jets, let by the desperate Woody, JD and Saleh, are destined to bet the farm on a circus act like Lamar Jackson.   Woody has always been more interested in the circus show than building a quality football team.   This will be too tempting for him, and the Ravens are licking their chops knowing it.  The JD connection will sell it.  The NFL will intervene because they dont’ want Lamar sitting at home, and they will pressure in a team in the large NYC market to take him in.  

Don’t get me wrong-I think Lamar Jackson could be interesting, but at a reasonable price.  

I read @football guy saying he believes if Lamar Jackson is traded it's most likely the Atlanta Falcons. Their owner Arthur Blank had Michael Vick before, so I'm sure he's attracted to the running back type quarterback. He'll sell tickets. I don't see the Falcons winning a chip with Lamar, but he'll get them on national tv and make them interesting again. 

2 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I read @football guy saying he believes if Lamar Jackson is traded it's most likely the Atlanta Falcons. Their owner Arthur Blank had Michael Vick before, so I'm sure he's attracted to the running back type quarterback. He'll sell tickets. I don't see the Falcons winning a chip with Lamar, but he'll get them on national tv and make them interesting again. 

So he has sources with the Jets, Ravens and Falcons? Let's pump the brakes. 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, varjet said:

Would you do it for 2 1sts?

6 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

So he has sources with the Jets, Ravens and Falcons? Let's pump the brakes. 

People believe any sh*t they are fed....start a Youtube channel and call it the Jolly Green Giant and people will think you are an expert in two weeks.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

Would you do it for 2 1sts?

Reasonable question.

I think this team has too many holes to give up two firsts plus $50mm a year and paying Zach Wilson for two more years (trading him only gets out of 1/3 of his cap hit).

Yes, the Seahawks did something similar for Jamal Adams, but that was viewed as a very bad trade for them.  

Two firsts and a reasonable contract could probably work.  

That is why Carr is so interesting.  He does not get as hurt, he will not likely cost meaningful draft picks, and his likely avg cost will be about $35mm/year.   W

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Another way to put it... Would you do it for the Russell Wilson package but a more expensive contract? 

The Ravens will franchise him.

Teams will see if they can get Carr, Jimmy G, Brady.  

The losers of that get to try and pry Lamar loose for the Ravens, but the odds of the Ravens letting him sit and home and not play are very low.  

I think the Jets will be in that Lamar discussion.   It could be them and the Falcons.  

7 minutes ago, varjet said:

Reasonable question.

I think this team has too many holes to give up two firsts plus $50mm a year and paying Zach Wilson for two more years (trading him only gets out of 1/3 of his cap hit).

Yes, the Seahawks did something similar for Jamal Adams, but that was viewed as a very bad trade for them.  

Two firsts and a reasonable contract could probably work.  

That is why Carr is so interesting.  He does not get as hurt, he will not likely cost meaningful draft picks, and his likely avg cost will be about $35mm/year.   W

I think I would do it, but I can also see the hesitancy 

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Ravens will franchise him.

Teams will see if they can get Carr, Jimmy G, Brady.  

The losers of that get to try and pry Lamar loose for the Ravens, but the odds of the Ravens letting him sit and home and not play are very low.  

I think the Jets will be in that Lamar discussion.   It could be them and the Falcons.  

I agree with what you say. Fingers crossed Derek Carr chooses the Jets and we keep our draft picks to build this team up more. 

• Sympathy 1