Lamar Jackson talk is completely triggering me

JohnnyLV

12 hours ago, football guy said:

I definitely don't have sources with the Falcons. I'm just following the breadcrumbs and listening to what the agents say 

Why Atlanta?

1. Arthur Blank went all-in for Deshaun Watson after he missed the season in the midst of allegations. Lamar Jackson is a cleaner player with an even better reputation. He may not be the caliber "QB" Deshaun was thought of being, but he's certainly a top 16 QB with the kind of explosive playmaking ability to be a franchise player.
  2. They made the greatest offer to Houston compensation-wise, a deal that included #8 and #38 last year. One year later and not much has changed (they have #8 and #44 this year) so you would have to think they will again be willing to go in heavy for a QB. Blank is a believer in continuity so Arthur Smith's job is safe and if anything, Atlanta finds themselves in a more lucrative position to insert the QB after having acquired Drake London last year. 
  3. Arthur Smith built offenses around Tannehill and Mariota, with Mariota having been identified him as "his" QB entering the 2022 season; Lamar is basically Mariota on steroids, so there's very little adjustments he would need to make schematically. 
  4. Every team that makes these kind of blockbuster trades always prefers to send the QB out of conference. The player ultimately has a major say in who trades for him because of the contract (see HOU-CLE/Deshaun), but make no mistake Baltimore will rather trade him out of conference and will make that clear to Lamar's team if he's made available. 
  5. Contract: Atlanta has a ton of cap and cash to offer that most teams do not have. They were willing to give Deshaun a new deal that would pay him $45 million-plus per year, but simply could not match a fully guaranteed contract (mind you, that had anti-void language to ensure he's paid despite potential suspensions). I do think they will be willing to make the greatest contract offer to Lamar if he shies away from the "fully guaranteed" contract demands. He'll have to if he wants to get a new deal because no team is paying him $230 million fully guaranteed. 

This man logics!

I wonder if the solution for Lamar is some insane contract we've never seen, like a 2 year $120m fully guaranteed deal. ($50m signing bonus)

Cap Hits

'23 - $35m

'24 - $55m - Could extend to lower hit

'25 - VOID - Lamar would not be able to be Franchise Tagged and be 28 when getting his next deal. ($30m dead cap hit)

'26 - VOID

'27 - VOID

Basically you pay a premium for shorter years but have the benefit of not being locked in long term. Mahomes contract almost does something similar where it guarantees the following year each year he's on the roster.

Edit* - to clarify I'm not suggesting the Jets do this, just that Lamar may not get the years and guarantee that Watson got.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

7 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

image.thumb.png.d24f322075c14a954d5217a8e07c81ed.png

Wow looks like the wheels are in motion. The NFL is turning into the NBA where star players get to choose their destination. And for whatever reason, Lamar has his sites set on the Jets

Lamar is pretty stupid if he's banking on Becton keeping him safe.  Is he ready?  LOL. 

On 1/13/2023 at 8:58 AM, johnnysd said:

People talking about getting Lamar Jackson makes me truly angry and physically ill.

There is no possible worse scenario than trading and signing for Lamar Jackson.

What in the hell are people thinking? He makes no sense for the Jets on literally any level. He is the worst possible option

1. He should be disqualified on durability alone. The guy has finished 10 of the last 21 games for Balt. He has ended the last 2 seasons missing 5 plus games. His play style is the most unsustainable of any QB in the NFL. History shows that he WILL completely fall off a cliff and that likely has already happened. Just look at Cam (who was a much better pocket passer) he won an MVP and that fell off the face of the other. He kept getting trotted out there but all the hits add up and he was completely ineffective but people kept expecting him to magically become healthy again. Look at RG3. Even Russell Wilson's issues are related to him just being diminished from all the wear and tear and he was among the best ever at avoiding contact. Lamar does not.

2. Even when he is healthy, the wear and tear builds up in Lamar and he gets less and less effective as the season goes on 

3. He is not a pocket passer throwing mostly to the TE and we do not have Mark Andrews

4. He requires a completely unique offense just for him.  We don't have the coaching or players to support him

5. He will cost AT LEAST 2 first round picks. The Jets cannot afford to give up that draft capital

6. He will cost like $30-40 million against the cap, and the Jets really do not have it without cutting a bunch of players, possibly not re-signing players like Q and Huff 

7. It would trash any possibility of rebuilding the OL

8. Here is maybe the biggest reason. His own team, that has the coach, the coordinator, the players to best support him clearly do not want to sign him long term. So why in the hell would we consider signing him?

To be honest, the only way to handle Lamar is on 1 year contracts because you simply cannot throw away the entire teams future on a possibility that he will somehow stay healthy and regain his form which history has show to not be true at all.

FFS

It is looney toons. Terrible idea. 

LOL

I understand the injury risk fearmongering, but imagine preferring the default (Zach Wilson returning from beach activities) to this:

“Jackson is one of the sport's best players when healthy. He can shred defenses in the passing attack and on the ground. He has scored a total of 125 touchdowns in five seasons.”

If they do somehow get him, Douglas will also have to figure out how to get a real TE like Andrews to NY.

L-Jax’s bread and butter is throwing to his TEs between the numbers.

Compared to Andrews, CJU and Conklin are equivalent to Jace Amaro.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

This man logics!

I wonder if the solution for Lamar is some insane contract we've never seen, like a 2 year $120m fully guaranteed deal. ($50m signing bonus)

Cap Hits

'23 - $35m

'24 - $55m - Could extend to lower hit

'25 - VOID - Lamar would not be able to be Franchise Tagged and be 28 when getting his next deal. ($30m dead cap hit)

'26 - VOID

'27 - VOID

Basically you pay a premium for shorter years but have the benefit of not being locked in long term. Mahomes contract almost does something similar where it guarantees the following year each year he's on the roster.

Edit* - to clarify I'm not suggesting the Jets do this, just that Lamar may not get the years and guarantee that Watson got.

I can't imagine that JD would trade the farm to acquire him and then only sign him short-term.

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I can't imagine that JD would trade the farm to acquire him and then only sign him short-term.

It would depend what you have to trade. I'd imagine a contract would need to be agreed to before making the move. If no team is willing to give Lamar $230m then what is the end solution? In that scenario you may be talking only 2 firsts.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

I’m starting to believe this is going to happen.

Does anyone remember what Joe Douglas was willing to give the Chiefs for Tyreek Hill, and the contract he offered him?

LJ would obviously get a bigger contract, but I wonder how different the trade package would be?

It would have to be something that could beat out packages from Atlanta or Carolina that includes much higher draft picks, maybe toss in Q? 

I mean if we’re only talking trade assets and not the contract, I think it’s doable as long as the price is the next two 1sts and not much else. 

You can still get a quality OL in the 2nd. A guy like Freeland, Mauch, Bergeron, or maybe a Harrison or Torrence drops. You can still get a solid LB in the 3rd who can play right away. Same with a WR in the 4th. Development C in the 5th. 

You’d still have to go out and sign a FS, maybe one more OL as well, but imo it’s possible. At the very least you can still address your other holes. You’re forced to rely on Becton in this scenario but I guess that’s the trade off. 

As of now I think I’m in the camp of Lamar or bring in a one or two year option and package whatever you need to in the ‘24 draft to move up for one of the big QBs. Those are the only routes that intrigue me. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

1) I don't think BB is that dumb

2) IF he did do it, you can be assured he would setup and run the absolute optimal offense for Jackson, which we have no ability to do.

I would agree with we have no ability to do when we had MLF here. Don't know what to think until they announce a new OC.

One can Only Hope...

Insider links Ravens' Lamar Jackson with two NFC South teams (msn.com)

Jason La Canfora of The Washington Post believes a pair of NFC clubs could pursue Baltimore Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson this winter. 

"The executives I spoke with kept coming back to two NFC South teams as potential Jackson landing spots: the Atlanta Falcons and the Carolina Panthers," La Canfora wrote for a piece published Wednesday.  

As La Canfora mentioned, the Falcons and Panthers both struck out in their attempts to acquire star signal-caller Deshaun Watson, who waived his no-trade clause to make a move from the Houston Texans to the Cleveland Browns last March. 

La Canfora added that "plugged-in executives" told him it's assumed "getting Jackson out of the AFC would be ideal for Baltimore and that landing some proven young talent in return — not only draft picks — would be the Ravens' preference." 

The Falcons are set to have 2022 rookie Desmond Ridder atop their depth chart through the offseason, but Jackson is a one-time NFL Most Valuable Player who is still only 26 years old. The Panthers, meanwhile, are likely looking for upgrades over Sam Darnold and PJ Walker regardless of what they think of 2022 third-round draft pick Matt Corral. Corral sat through his rookie campaign due to a Lisfranc injury. 

Interestingly, the Panthers were recently linked with Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Tom Brady and former New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton. It would appear some within NFL circles expect Carolina to go big-game hunting for a QB1.  

Jackson is in the final months of his rookie contract and has seemingly hinted via his latest social media activities that he and the Ravens aren't all that close to reaching a long-term agreement. The Ravens can use the franchise tag to retain Jackson's rights for the 2023 season, but he theoretically could respond by threatening to hold out through the summer. 

It also shouldn't be forgotten that some believe Jackson chose not to play in Baltimore's playoff loss at the Cincinnati Bengals this past Sunday because he didn't receive a fully guaranteed contract from his current employer last year. That type of accusation can permanently damage the relationship between a player and a team. 

"I suspect the Ravens would prefer to wrap this up well before the draft, let alone the July deadline to extend a player on the franchise tag," La Canfora noted about the Jackson situation.  

• Upvote 1

On 1/16/2023 at 2:25 PM, Smashmouth said:

You mean like the people telling me Lamar has similar passing stats to Josh Allen ? When Lamar barely broke 3000 yards in only one of his seasons which happened to be a damn good season but since then ?? Nothing

Lamar has never had receivers like Allen has. Put Josh Allen on the Ravens and he would not come close to either his passing stats or his rushing stats he has on the Bills.

• More Ugh 1