Lamar Jackson talk is completely triggering me

JohnnyLV

2 minutes ago, undertow said:

Fair but Rodgers wasn't good this year didn't look like the same guy he's not mobile anymore and he wasn't reading the field well. ...he looks old and tired.

You can’t entertain the Rodgers trade because, like Favre, he’s a me-first a$$hole who’s always going to play the retirement card. 

Thread title cracked me up, @johnnysd, he’s not my favorite, either. If he had developed into the passer that Josh Allen has, or something closer to it, I’d be a lot more interested. Running QBs scare me. We saw how badly a team falters when it loses a franchise caliber RB; when you lose your QB who’s also your leading rusher, where does that leave you? I have a lot of the same feeling about the latest flavor of the week, Justin Fields. I do want a QB who’s gonna be pass first. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Cheap is putting words into my mouth

they'll spend on a vet  - they just won't spend on a star QB 

just like they'll spend on a head coach just not one that's done it before

or just like they'll spend on positional coaches just not good ones

they aren't cheap. That's not what I said. but they do have a set limit and they stick to that budget

they aren't going to bust the budget for Lamar that's pipe dream 

the Jets are going to keep zach (ugh) and make sure that QB1 is someone Zach could somehow dethrone

they want Zach to earn the money he's being paid

too many people think the Jets are content to have Zach as the most expensive backup in football 

they will hold on to Zach at least one more year because he is untradeable (outside an osweiller type deal) and the dead cap is too much now.  The dead cap a full year from now  is half as much and low enough to be swallowed.  It will give JD another year to fantasize that  Zach  isnt a bust.  But the vet, whoever it is , will be the starter.  A losing season with Zach means they are all going to get fired.  The vet will start.  Zach will hold a clipboard as they try to salvage him behind the scenes.  He'll play when a backup is needed.  Last chance for him.  

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

While we’re on the topic, was anyone else surprised at how definitively both Woody and Saleh committed to getting a new QB in to replace Zach? Woody said QB was a “missing piece” and would spend what he had to in order to get a new one in here, and Saleh basically said the same. Pretty striking, imo. I would have figured they’d give him more cover.

Confirmation that Wilson is Joe Douglas’ mistake, his alone, and everyone in the building knows it so there’s no reason to beat around the bush?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

they will hold on to Zach at least one more year because he is untradeable (outside an osweiller type deal) and the dead cap is too much now.  The dead cap a full year from now  is half as much and low enough to be swallowed.  It will give JD another year to fantasize that  Zach  isnt a bust.  But the vet, whoever it is , will be the starter.  A losing season with Zach means they are all going to get fired.  The vet will start.  Zach will hold a clipboard as they try to salvage him behind the scenes.  He'll play when a backup is needed.  Last chance for him.  

The vet will be a starter we agree there 

Where we disagree is they won't buy a star qb. They are already paying Zach to be the star qb 

Woody and JD are still committed to Zach and the guy they bring in to be a vet starter will reflect that 

Saleh and the coaching staff don't believe in Zach hence the firing of MLF. This whole thing is a Zach rehab program which means that qb 1 vet can't be too good or too expensive. He has to be someone Zach wilson can dethrone 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Where we disagree is they won't buy a star qb. They are already paying Zach to be the star qb 

Woody and JD are still committed to Zach and the guy they bring in to be a vet starter will reflect that 

Saleh and the coaching staff don't believe in Zach hence the firing of MLF. This whole thing is a Zach rehab program which means that qb 1 vet can't be too good or too expensive. He has to be someone Zach wilson can dethrone 

eh, I think the path for Zach go forward will be to showcase as much as possible in pre season and maybe cameos in some games over next year and a half or so and try to trade him to some QB needy team...Sort of the route the Pats took with a lot of their QBs in past like Jimmy G.

So they will be talking him up as much as possible for the foreseeable future.

4 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

eh, I think the path for Zach go forward will be to showcase as much as possible in pre season and maybe cameos in some games over next year and a half or so and try to trade him to some QB needy team...Sort of the route the Pats took with a lot of their QBs in past like Jimmy G.

So they will be talking him up as much as possible for the foreseeable future.

Yeah they will be show casing him in preseason to rehab his image with the fans 

No team wants Zach on his current contract. He's untradable

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I get what you are saying but put yourself in Douglas' shoes

- You need to win immediately

- You won't have the opportunity to spend your draft picks of you don't get the QB so who cares. Same can be said for cap space.

Douglas will go big game hunting if he strikes out in FA

Some good points but it’s hard to make much logic of signing Lamar given his price tag.  The jets do need to win next season but considering how close they got with the bad qb and oline play you can argue that a guy like jimmy g might be the better choice. And this assuming that zwilson will be on the bench. Obviously there’s no telling how good the defense will be next season. And we don’t know how good the oline will be.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

no they won't go after Lamar

the Jets are not going to spend that type of cash when they have big cash tied up in Zach 

it's going to be a moderate priced dude like Carr or Jimmy G not a high priced dude like Lamar or Aaron Rodgers

Carr is not cheap.  Jimmy might be.

They will, undoubtedly, be in on Lamar if he becomes available.  Aggressively.  The question is whether or not he does become available, and what that timetable would look like, because they aren’t going to wait very long to find out and miss on other targets as a result.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VJphillyfan said:

How about send GB 2 first round picks for Rodgers instead of 4 first round picks to Baltimore for noodle legs?

Two first round picks for a 39 year -old QB who is not sure he wants to keep playing?  Two first round picks for a best case scenario of a 2-year rental of a declining player?  I don't think he's worth anywhere near that when you take into account his age, his contract ($50 million per), and his play in 2022. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

disagree.  This year, Saleh and JD play for their jobs.  The "whole thing" is most assuredly not just a Zach rehab.  Its a sunk cost but they have a year to salvage it. They will overspend on whatever vet they like the best.  I just hope it's a durable one like Carr so that Zach isn't in there every two weeks.  We'll see when the spending begins.  Woody is opening his purse.  Both for  QB and for Quinnen.

33 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Lamar to Jets is just dumb and not happening...dumb as "insider" lol connor hughes what an ass!

Well if they make him available it might happen. It’s not like we’re talking about possibly landing Mahomes. Jackson has a good shot of being traded this off-season 

• Upvote 1

Some fans act like we have our choice at any QB we want. It’s realistically either Carr or Garappolo, and if those 2 get snatched up by other teams than what? Jets will be left with nothing. JD has to be very aggressive in getting a QB in here. If Lamar becomes available it’s a no brainer to go out and do everything you can to get him

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, peebag said:

What's the Jets QB room look like in the playoffs the last 12 years?

So we are settling for paying out the nose in picks and pay just to make the playoffs?  We are buying the farm to win 9-10 games and get bounced on Wild Card or Divisional Round Weekend?  I've seen that movie before in the last 40 years and it is in some ways worse and more painful than losing during the regular season.  The goal should be a Super Bowl title, not to make just good enough to make the playoffs.  

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

People talking about getting Lamar Jackson makes me truly angry and physically ill.

There is no possible worse scenario than trading and signing for Lamar Jackson.

What in the hell are people thinking? He makes no sense for the Jets on literally any level. He is the worst possible option

1. He should be disqualified on durability alone. The guy has finished 10 of the last 21 games for Balt. He has ended the last 2 seasons missing 5 plus games. His play style is the most unsustainable of any QB in the NFL. History shows that he WILL completely fall off a cliff and that likely has already happened. Just look at Cam (who was a much better pocket passer) he won an MVP and that fell off the face of the other. He kept getting trotted out there but all the hits add up and he was completely ineffective but people kept expecting him to magically become healthy again. Look at RG3. Even Russell Wilson's issues are related to him just being diminished from all the wear and tear and he was among the best ever at avoiding contact. Lamar does not.

2. Even when he is healthy, the wear and tear builds up in Lamar and he gets less and less effective as the season goes on 

3. He is not a pocket passer throwing mostly to the TE and we do not have Mark Andrews

4. He requires a completely unique offense just for him.  We don't have the coaching or players to support him

5. He will cost AT LEAST 2 first round picks. The Jets cannot afford to give up that draft capital

6. He will cost like $30-40 million against the cap, and the Jets really do not have it without cutting a bunch of players, possibly not re-signing players like Q and Huff 

7. It would trash any possibility of rebuilding the OL

8. Here is maybe the biggest reason. His own team, that has the coach, the coordinator, the players to best support him clearly do not want to sign him long term. So why in the hell would we consider signing him?

To be honest, the only way to handle Lamar is on 1 year contracts because you simply cannot throw away the entire teams future on a possibility that he will somehow stay healthy and regain his form which history has show to not be true at all.

FFS

Ummmmmm 8 is wrong...

Literally, Jackson turned down a guaranteed contract worth $48.5 Million Dollars a year!

Think about that on top of everything stated above the Jets would have to pay over $50 Million Dollars per year to sign him and quite frankly he isn't worth that!

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

So we are settling for paying out the nose in picks and pay just to make the playoffs?  We are buying the farm to win 9-10 games and get bounced on Wild Card or Divisional Round Weekend?  I've seen that movie before in the last 40 years and it is in some ways worse and more painful than losing during the regular season.  The goal should be a Super Bowl title, not to make just good enough to make the playoffs.  

Lamar makes this team a Super Bowl contender. We have a top 4 defense. And we’d have an offense with Lamar, Breece, GW, and Elijah. That would be ridiculously fast and fun offense to watch. 

• Upvote 1

Jets fans: "we have the worst injury luck around. We need to stop acquiring oft-injured players. We'd have been in the playoffs if not for all the injuries on offense this year"

Also Jets fans: "trading for, and paying, one of the most oft-injured QBs in football makes total sense. Playoffs baby!"

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Kind of hard to give a player the kind of contract 40-50 per that he is asking for when he has the kind of recent injury record esp this season. And his game as a running Qb can lead to more injuries on a regular basis. Plus he'll demand a lot of guaranteed money. I'd pass on him. 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

Kind of hard to give a player the kind of contract 40-50 per that he is asking for when he has the kind of recent injury record esp this season. And his game as a running Qb can lead to more injuries on a regular basis. Plus he'll demand a lot of guaranteed money. I'd pass on him. 

So what’s the alternative? Jimmy G who is injured all the time as well?

9 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Ummmmmm 8 is wrong...

Literally, Jackson turned down a guaranteed contract worth $48.5 Million Dollars a year!

Think about that on top of everything stated above the Jets would have to pay over $50 Million Dollars per year to sign him and quite frankly he isn't worth that!

No I disagree

A couple things about Jackson. 1) his mom is his agent 2) those figures are according to sources and the Ravens are much more shrewd with contracts and media relations than his mother

the contract extension figures could be wrong, the Ravens just playing her.

Or she very well could've made a mistake in declining a big offer as she is inexperienced in these matters. Either way it is not going to take over $50 million per year for anyone to sign him 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

People talking about getting Lamar Jackson makes me truly angry and physically ill.

There is no possible worse scenario than trading and signing for Lamar Jackson.

What in the hell are people thinking? He makes no sense for the Jets on literally any level. He is the worst possible option

1. He should be disqualified on durability alone. The guy has finished 10 of the last 21 games for Balt. He has ended the last 2 seasons missing 5 plus games. His play style is the most unsustainable of any QB in the NFL. History shows that he WILL completely fall off a cliff and that likely has already happened. Just look at Cam (who was a much better pocket passer) he won an MVP and that fell off the face of the other. He kept getting trotted out there but all the hits add up and he was completely ineffective but people kept expecting him to magically become healthy again. Look at RG3. Even Russell Wilson's issues are related to him just being diminished from all the wear and tear and he was among the best ever at avoiding contact. Lamar does not.

2. Even when he is healthy, the wear and tear builds up in Lamar and he gets less and less effective as the season goes on 

3. He is not a pocket passer throwing mostly to the TE and we do not have Mark Andrews

4. He requires a completely unique offense just for him.  We don't have the coaching or players to support him

5. He will cost AT LEAST 2 first round picks. The Jets cannot afford to give up that draft capital

6. He will cost like $30-40 million against the cap, and the Jets really do not have it without cutting a bunch of players, possibly not re-signing players like Q and Huff 

7. It would trash any possibility of rebuilding the OL

8. Here is maybe the biggest reason. His own team, that has the coach, the coordinator, the players to best support him clearly do not want to sign him long term. So why in the hell would we consider signing him?

To be honest, the only way to handle Lamar is on 1 year contracts because you simply cannot throw away the entire teams future on a possibility that he will somehow stay healthy and regain his form which history has show to not be true at all.

FFS

I didn’t read, but I get the point.  I too agree it’s a mistake, and you could have had a possibly better or more durable version of him in Fields but you choose the kid with the great smile instead.

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Flip him for Trey Lance.

There’s no way SF does that, right? It’s a shame because taking the deal Miami did from SF was just glaringly obvious and not having done that really sets the team back. 

Could be sitting here with effectively the exact same team plus a little ammo and decide what QB they want to make a move for in this class.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Woody is so committed to Zach, that he comes out publicly saying QB is the missing piece lol. I don't think the missing piece means Gardner Minshew.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I get what you are saying but put yourself in Douglas' shoes

- You need to win immediately

- You won't have the opportunity to spend your draft picks of you don't get the QB so who cares. Same can be said for cap space.

Douglas will go big game hunting if he strikes out in FA

Don't you think JD knows that the offense will need to completely change personnel and scheme for Lamar? Will we be able to adjust the roster in one offseason? I doubt it. It will take a couple drafts and FA periods to adjust. How will Garrett Wilson like watching Lamar run and then handoff to Breece for 80% of each game? Forget Elijah Moore - he'll be wanting out by October again.