Lamar Jackson talk is completely triggering me

JohnnyLV

On 1/13/2023 at 11:58 AM, johnnysd said:

People talking about getting Lamar Jackson makes me truly angry and physically ill.

There is no possible worse scenario than trading and signing for Lamar Jackson.

What in the hell are people thinking? He makes no sense for the Jets on literally any level. He is the worst possible option

1. He should be disqualified on durability alone. The guy has finished 10 of the last 21 games for Balt. He has ended the last 2 seasons missing 5 plus games. His play style is the most unsustainable of any QB in the NFL. History shows that he WILL completely fall off a cliff and that likely has already happened. Just look at Cam (who was a much better pocket passer) he won an MVP and that fell off the face of the other. He kept getting trotted out there but all the hits add up and he was completely ineffective but people kept expecting him to magically become healthy again. Look at RG3. Even Russell Wilson's issues are related to him just being diminished from all the wear and tear and he was among the best ever at avoiding contact. Lamar does not.

2. Even when he is healthy, the wear and tear builds up in Lamar and he gets less and less effective as the season goes on 

3. He is not a pocket passer throwing mostly to the TE and we do not have Mark Andrews

4. He requires a completely unique offense just for him.  We don't have the coaching or players to support him

5. He will cost AT LEAST 2 first round picks. The Jets cannot afford to give up that draft capital

6. He will cost like $30-40 million against the cap, and the Jets really do not have it without cutting a bunch of players, possibly not re-signing players like Q and Huff 

7. It would trash any possibility of rebuilding the OL

8. Here is maybe the biggest reason. His own team, that has the coach, the coordinator, the players to best support him clearly do not want to sign him long term. So why in the hell would we consider signing him?

To be honest, the only way to handle Lamar is on 1 year contracts because you simply cannot throw away the entire teams future on a possibility that he will somehow stay healthy and regain his form which history has show to not be true at all.

FFS

the narrative is that Lamar wants a fully guaranteed deal that Watson got. I would pass hard on that....guys that never leave the pocket dont get those deals because of injury concern....Lamar is a walking injury. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

the narrative is that Lamar wants a fully guaranteed deal that Watson got. I would pass hard on that....guys that never leave the pocket dont get those deals because of injury concern....Lamar is a walking injury. 

As exciting a player as he can be, Jackson is not playing in his team's playoff game today. How many shots at the postseason does any palyer get in their career? Whether because of injury or he's chooing not to do so, hard to write checks to guy who does that. Michael Vick is telling you to get in there. 

On 1/13/2023 at 4:58 PM, johnnysd said:

People talking about getting Lamar Jackson makes me truly angry and physically ill.

What in the hell are people thinking? He makes no sense for the Jets on literally any level. He is the worst possible option

1. He should be disqualified on durability alone. The guy has finished 10 of the last 21 games for Balt. He has ended the last 2 seasons missing 5 plus games. His play style is the most unsustainable of any QB in the NFL. History shows that he WILL completely fall off a cliff and that likely has already happened. Just look at Cam (who was a much better pocket passer) he won an MVP and that fell off the face of the other. He kept getting trotted out there but all the hits add up and he was completely ineffective but people kept expecting him to magically become healthy again. Look at RG3. Even Russell Wilson's issues are related to him just being diminished from all the wear and tear and he was among the best ever at avoiding contact. Lamar does not.

2. Even when he is healthy, the wear and tear builds up in Lamar and he gets less and less effective as the season goes on 

3. He is not a pocket passer throwing mostly to the TE and we do not have Mark Andrews

4. He requires a completely unique offense just for him.  We don't have the coaching or players to support him

5. He will cost AT LEAST 2 first round picks. The Jets cannot afford to give up that draft capital

6. He will cost like $30-40 million against the cap, and the Jets really do not have it without cutting a bunch of players, possibly not re-signing players like Q and Huff 

8. Here is maybe the biggest reason. His own team, that has the coach, the coordinator, the players to best support him clearly do not want to sign him long term. So why in the hell would we consider signing him?

To be honest, the only way to handle Lamar is on 1 year contracts because you simply cannot throw away the entire teams future on a possibility that he will somehow stay healthy and regain his form which history has show to not be true at all.

FFS

I actually agree.  I was all in on Lamar until a few days ago.  Recalled hearing about how his production waned this season so I went and looked at how he was performing and outside of the first couple weeks of the season, he was pretty bad.

Then looking at the fact that he's had over 700 career rushing attempts and suddenly battling injuries, I'm out.

Can't afford to give up 2 1's and more in addition to $50 mil or more per year for a guy whose production is slipping and injuries are becoming more frequent.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

As exciting a player as he can be, Jackson is not playing in his team's playoff game today. How many shots at the postseason does any palyer get in their career? Whether because of injury or he's chooing not to do so, hard to write checks to guy who does that. Michael Vick is telling you to get in there. 

Yeah he’s making a business decision and I don’t blame him. Why risk his health without being compensated for it.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Yeah he’s making a business decision and I don’t blame him. Why risk his health without being compensated for it.

He's done enough for the franchise to have earned a big contract.  If the ravens aren't all in on you, why risk your health for them? 

With that said,  it's two years in row where an injury has derailed his season. Being a mobile centric QB means any leg injury can ruin your season.  While a more pocket centric  QB can play through those types of injuries and still be productive. 

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

21 hours ago, AFJF said:

I actually agree.  I was all in on Lamar until a few days ago.  Recalled hearing about how his production waned this season so I went and looked at how he was performing and outside of the first couple weeks of the season, he was pretty bad.

Then looking at the fact that he's had over 700 career rushing attempts and suddenly battling injuries, I'm out.

Can't afford to give up 2 1's and more in addition to $50 mil or more per year for a guy whose production is slipping and injuries are becoming more frequent.

I hear this. I've been wondering about this a lot the past few days.

The cost in money and picks will be epic and we can't just ignore the health concerns.

I think he's still on the shortlist because the upside is unmatched amongst the options, but right now I put a theoretical Rodgers trade and a FA signing of Carr ahead of Lamar.

• Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, Bugg said:

He is 26 and the Ravens have shown time and time again they aren't cutting him the big check. He has to protect himself to guarantee his money from someone. Him going out there on a messed up PCL is doable, but what if he rips it and other ligaments to shreds and is called damaged goods and never secures that generational wealth? Either he is truly unable to physically go or he is protecting his future. Either way, it stinks but I get it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, pointman said:

He is 26 and the Ravens have shown time and time again they aren't cutting him the big check. He has to protect himself to guarantee his money from someone. Him going out there on a messed up PCL is doable, but what if he rips it and other ligaments to shreds and is called damaged goods and never secures that generational wealth? Either he is truly unable to physically go or he is protecting his future. Either way, it stinks but I get it. 

It's a real conundrum. Again, how many chances at the postseason do you get in a career?  This one is probably shot for Jackson. So he gets to avoid getting further injured, but when would he gove caution to the wind and suit up after getting the big contract? Mike Vick is saying strap on a brace and  play. 

If the Ravens who know him better than anyone don't want to write those checks, should give you great pause. Recall when Steelers let O'Donnell walk. Looks a lot like this, thoguh different player. 

• Upvote 3

Baltimore will tag Jackson and more than likely some team, hopefully, not the Jets will trade their next 2-3 drafts for him. Jackson bet on yourself this year and probably didn't do himself any favors. Looked good for a chunk of the year but his team will likely get booted on the first round while he's on the bench injured. There isn't going to be a long line of teams looking to trade all their draft capital and give him a Watson contract. The Browns were stupid to do it, and there aren't THAT many teams as stupid as the Browns. 

My gut tells me this won't work out the way Jackson hoped. But thanagain, I've done an atrocious job following my gut on anything in the NFL this season and my wallet is hurting for it. 

LOL “triggered”

26 year old MVP winner who is clutch and immediately vaults your team into SB contention 

It’s still probably the wrong move because of the salary and injury risk (the draft picks are cost of doing business), but without a legit dude like L-Jax, you have no realistic hope anyway 

Kyle Shanahan is in SF

Jets don’t have any miracle workers that can make a Mr. irrelevant look like a world beater 

• Thumb Down 1

LOL “triggered”
26 year old MVP winner who is clutch and immediately vaults your team into SB contention 
It’s still probably the wrong move because of the salary and injury risk (the draft picks are cost of doing business), but without a legit dude like L-Jax, you have no realistic hope anyway 
Kyle Shanahan is in SF
Jets don’t have any miracle workers that can make a Mr. irrelevant look like a world beater 
Garbage .. well maybe not garbage .. but he's sure to have a short career. I think injuries are a real.concern. Especially knee injuries.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I hear this. I've been wondering about this a lot the past few days.

The cost in money and picks will be epic and we can't just ignore the healthy concerns.

I think he's still on the shortlist because the upside is unmatched amongst the options, but right now I put a theoretical Rodgers trade and a FA signing of Carr ahead of Lamar.

Lamar Jackson would be a disaster. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

On 1/13/2023 at 11:58 AM, johnnysd said:

FFS

If we some how end up with Jackson we may as well trade Wilson, Moore, Mims, and any other WR on the roster.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

LOL “triggered”

Kyle Shanahan is in SF

How can you call him clutch when he won't show up for a playoff game? Not even play, didn't make the trip. Very strange. 

19 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Because it's the playoffs?

Because he is, in fact, being compensated for today's game?

He just isn't compensated for next year yet.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

48 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you!!

He turned down 48.5 Million Dollars!!

No I don’t want him at that price…

Its the fully guaranteed that is the sticking point. This guys game leads to injury. You have to assume he will never play a full season ...ever.

• Post of the Week 1

17 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He's done enough for the franchise to have earned a big contract.  If the ravens aren't all in on you, why risk your health for them? 

With that said,  it's two years in row where an injury has derailed his season. Being a mobile centric QB means any leg injury can ruin your season.  While a more pocket centric  QB can play through those types of injuries and still be productive. 

The same can be said if they are all in on him.  Why risk your health for them once you're guaranteed to have all the money you will ever need for the rest of your life?

1 hour ago, GangGreened said:

Lamar Jackson isn’t even a top 5 QB in the AFC lol

Yup.  If we could get 2019 Lamar, I would be all for that.  But 2019 Lamar likely does not exist.  His numbers the last two seasons have not approached 19 & 20.  And he has missed time for injury each of the last two seasons.  He may only be 26, but he is an old 26.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1