Jets OC interviews (Merged OC Candidates Thread)

Larz

13 minutes ago, football guy said:

Total teams who have a current OC or HC vacancy (will likely be in the market for a new OC): 

1. Arizona Cardinals* 
  2. Carolina Panthers* 
  3. Denver Broncos* 
  4. Houston Texans* 
  5. Indianapolis Colts* 
  6. Los Angeles Chargers
  7. Los Angeles Rams
  8. New England Patriots 
  9. New York Jets 
  10. Tampa Bay Buccaneers 
  11. Tennessee Titans 
  12. Washington Commanders

Teams who could lose their current OC to other jobs: 

• Baltimore Ravens
  • New York Giants 
  • Philadelphia Eagles 

... could be another few weeks before we find out who will be our OC

Now if we can only make another side-by-side list of available/qualified OC candidates. Then we play the arrows game!

------->

<------

Spongebob Squarepants Reaction GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

What defined this season is that a.) Zach Wilson was so bad he had to be benched in the middle of a playoff push, and to a much lesser extent b.) injuries to Breece Hall, basically every member of the OL, and (especially) Mike White derailed said playoff push. Run this season back with Caley or Darrell Bevell or Greg Olson or Joe Brady or whoever, and I don't think it's any different.

100%. That's all there is too it. Zach forgetting how to play basic football derailed the season. Wasn't Saleh or LaFluer. 

Bring whoever you want at OC. What matters is do they bring in a guy like Carr or a guy like Minshew. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Zachtomims47 said:

100%. That's all there is too it. Zach forgetting how to play basic football derailed the season. Wasn't Saleh or LaFluer. 

Bring whoever you want at OC. What matters is do they bring in a guy like Carr or a guy like Minshew. 

Giant fans were saying similar things about Jones this past off season , yes coaching makes a big difference. Doesn't mean it will work in our favor , but it doesn't mean it won't either.  

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Bevell probably has one more crack at being an OC and then a head coach, and he’s not burning his last chance on a quarterbackless Jets team with a coaching staff on its last leg. If they really want Bevell, they should up the money until he says yes. 

Depends on the interview, the Jets targets at QB and his thoughts.  If the Jets get healthy and support the OL, with a QB in place, even Mike White given their talent why would he be burning his last chance.  Not that I agree it would be his last chance.  
 People outside of the fanbase on message boards actually understand that this would be a really capable offense with even decent QB play.  

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

I actually don't think the OC is that important. It's the QB decision that makes or breaks them. I don't think Caley is going to make Derek Carr or Jimmy Garoppolo worse, just like I don't think he'll make Zach Wilson better.

If what you say is true, then we got it wrong by firing MLF. We should have fired ZW.

32 minutes ago, football guy said:

Total teams who have a current OC or HC vacancy (will likely be in the market for a new OC): 

1. Arizona Cardinals* 
  2. Carolina Panthers* 
  3. Denver Broncos* 
  4. Houston Texans* 
  5. Indianapolis Colts* 
  6. Los Angeles Chargers
  7. Los Angeles Rams
  8. New England Patriots 
  9. New York Jets 
  10. Tampa Bay Buccaneers 
  11. Tennessee Titans 
  12. Washington Commanders

Teams who could lose their current OC to other jobs: 

• Baltimore Ravens
  • New York Giants 
  • Philadelphia Eagles 

... could be another few weeks before we find out who will be our OC

So half the league needs new offensive minds.  

33 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

2 more than 1 IMO. Hall was the most impactful playmaking freak of an offensive rookie this team had drafted since probably Al Toon. Once he went down the season was toast.

The Hall injury was huge, but even with that, if White stays healthy, we almost certainly beat Detroit and Miami and have a good shot against Jacksonville. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Bevell probably has one more crack at being an OC and then a head coach, and he’s not burning his last chance on a quarterbackless Jets team with a coaching staff on its last leg. If they really want Bevell, they should up the money until he says yes. 

If the Jets get in some half assed bidding war with themselves over a milquetoast jag like Bevell I'll start the go find me for the Saleh banner. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Larz said:

Anyone interview today from teams still playing? 

Interview transcript:

Woody: Do you think you can coach up Zach Wilson?

Candidate: No. Would you consider signing another qb?

Woody: No, Zach is our qb.

Candidate: Do you offer a good severance package after I get fired next January? 

5 hours ago, football guy said:

Chargers going in a new direction on offense directly impacts us. Nick Caley and Greg Olson will be on their shortlist

Also the fact that Staley is keeping that job keeps the possibility of Sean Payton snaking his way into the Dolphins job, which would free up Mike McDaniel to become the Jets OC

• Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, dbatesman said:

What defined this season is that a.) Zach Wilson was so bad he had to be benched in the middle of a playoff push, and to a much lesser extent b.) injuries to Breece Hall, basically every member of the OL, and (especially) Mike White derailed said playoff push. Run this season back with Caley or Darrell Bevell or Greg Olson or Joe Brady or whoever, and I don't think it's any different.

So, these were all things that landed on LaFleur’s plate, and for which it seemed he was charged with fixing by himself. The issue of Zach starting is the subject of some intrigue, and we don’t really know where LaFleur came down on it. Based on the info we have (h/t footballguy and Mogglez), Woody wasn’t even pushing for Zach to start as long as he had, and it took a three hour meeting after the Pats disaster to get Zach on the bench. Whoever is the new OC gets to deal with that sh*t next season—presumably with a veteran starter thrown into the mix. There’s going to be a lot of bullsh*t to wade through for whatever sucker takes this job. IMO, asking another newb to handle it will end up as well as it did this year. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pac said:

If the Jets get in some half assed bidding war with themselves over a milquetoast jag like Bevell I'll start the go find me for the Saleh banner. 

If they identify Bevell as their guy, they need to land him. He’s currently coaching a guy who’s one mild head bump away from being retired forever. If he needs to be incentivized away from life with Skyler Thompson, Woody should open up the wallet

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

So, these were all things that landed on LaFleur’s plate, and for which it seemed he was charged with fixing by himself. The issue of Zach starting is the subject of some intrigue, and we don’t really know where LaFleur came down on it. Based on the info we have (h/t footballguy and Mogglez), Woody wasn’t even pushing for Zach to start as long as he had, and it took a three hour meeting after the Pats disaster to get Zach on the bench. Whoever is the new OC gets to deal with that sh*t next season—presumably with a veteran starter thrown into the mix. There’s going to be a lot of bullsh*t to wade through for whatever sucker takes this job. IMO, asking another newb to handle it will end up as well as it did this year. 

JD will try to move him for a conditional pick. If that doesn't work, he'll be the risky backup hopefully holding a clipboard while a non-injury prone vet QB tries to make use of some of these pretty good weapons we have.  Anything else would be insanity.  Zach can be cut a year from now with 1/4 of the dead cap hit.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Also the fact that Staley is keeping that job keeps the possibility of Sean Payton snaking his way into the Dolphins job, which would free up Mike McDaniel to become the Jets OC

Saints want a 1st round pick for Payton, and the Dolphins don't have a 1st.

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Depends on the interview, the Jets targets at QB and his thoughts.  If the Jets get healthy and support the OL, with a QB in place, even Mike White given their talent why would he be burning his last chance.  Not that I agree it would be his last chance.  
 People outside of the fanbase on message boards actually understand that this would be a really capable offense with even decent QB play.  

There are entire graveyards filled with teams who were “a decent QB away” from competing. It’s almost never true. Just ask the “decent QB” we’re probably going to end up with in Ryan Tannehill

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

JD will try to move him for a conditional pick. If that doesn't work, he'll be the risky backup hopefully holding a clipboard while a non-injury prone vet QB tries to make use of some of these pretty good weapons we have.  Anything else would be insanity.  Zach can be cut a year from now with 1/4 of the dead cap hit.

Douglas should 1000% look to get Wilson out of town this offseason. I just get the feeling that there are too many people on the personnel side that think he’s salvageable and they’ll hang on to him just in case.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 2

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If Payton wants to be Dolphins coach, the Saints aren’t going to hold it up. They’ll make a deal.

The Dolphins are in cap hell, have a terrible meddling owner, and have a QB whose health is truly up in the air for any kind of long term expectations of play.

I would think Houston or Arizona given their draft order spots would be the most desirable destinations for Payton. Arizona could trade Murray for a high pick, and currently hold the 3rd pick and draft his replacement....completely resetting that team.

Or Payton doesn't take any job this cycle and holds out for one of the LA jobs next year if they are to open.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Douglas should 1000% look to get Wilson out of town this offseason. I just get the feeling that there are too many people on the personnel side that think he’s salvageable and they’ll hang on to him just in case.

They’ll sign Jimmy G.  Jimmy G will get injured using the bathroom during preseason.  Zach becomes the starter

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Opinions may change as they interview OC candidates who are telling them they do not want to waste their time trying to fix everything wrong with wilson.  The job is attractive enough with all the talent on paper and the 13th pick.  But i agree the best move is to trade him and move on.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

The Dolphins are in cap hell, have a terrible meddling owner, and have a QB whose health is truly up in the air for any kind of long term expectations of play.

I would think Houston or Arizona given their draft order spots would be the most desirable destinations for Payton. Arizona could trade Murray for a high pick, and currently hold the 3rd pick and draft his replacement....completely resetting that team.

Or Payton doesn't take any job this cycle and holds out for one of the LA jobs next year if they are to open.

Payton and Brady had a deal in hand to take over the Dolphins last offseason, when it was an even worse job. I think they can just revisit that package. Arizona and Houston are career killing jobs, imo. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Opinions may change as they interview OC candidates who are telling them they do not want to waste their time trying to fix everything wrong with wilson.  The job is attractive enough with all the talent on paper and the 13th pick.  But i agree the best move is to trade him and move on.  

My fear is that these younger, more desperate candidates are walking into the interview with a slideshow of their plans to fix Wilson, and one of them is going to end up getting the job as a result

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

My fear is that these younger, more desperate candidates are walking into the interview with a slideshow of their plans to fix Wilson, and one of them is going to end up getting the job as a result

Unfortunately i agree, they’re telling them exactly what they want to hear.  Yet the team is ready to contend now with a veteran qb, so if they get carr, let’s say, and get a wild card birth and wilson never sees the field except in mop up duty, then they’ve red shirted him his 3rd year and he’s worth next to nothing.  So you may as well trade him now, while he has more value like darnold.  

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Unfortunately i agree, they’re telling them exactly what they want to hear.  Yet the team is ready to contend now with a veteran qb, so if they get carr, let’s say, and get a wild card birth and wilson never sees the field except in mop up duty, then they’ve red shirted him his 3rd year and he’s worth next to nothing.  So you may as well trade him now, while he has more value like darnold.  

I don't think his value would be much lower other than the contract having one less year.  I think it is going to be financially difficult to move him.  It would take a decent pick to make it worthwhile and I am not seeing a decent pick worth of value.  Maybe some kind of player for player contract swap?  I don't know.

2 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

That would be wild. What’s the problem with Murray anyway? He’s a huge douche or something?

Apparently....I think it all started when he got his extension and requested certain accommodations that were just for him "study days" where he was apart from the team and it all went to his head.

But, who knows? The kid is super talented and always plays hard. Given his injury and when he would be ready to play in 2023 I'd think if he's on the trade block that the draft compensation would be less than expected.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't think his value would be much lower other than the contract having one less year.  I think it is going to be financially difficult to move him.  It would take a decent pick to make it worthwhile and I am not seeing a decent pick worth of value.  Maybe some kind of player for player contract swap?  I don't know.

I hear you, but this situation is heading for another season-long distraction.  They’re likely bringing in a veteran qb to start and may even keep white too.  Wilson could be headed for a red shirt year his junior year.