Jets OC interviews (Merged OC Candidates Thread)

Larz

Just now, T0mShane said:

The head coach is a dunce who’s going to use his billion dollar DT and three shutdown CBs to hold opposing offenses to <20 ppg. It’s then on the jacked-up dime store offense to produce 21 ppg while managing a bunch of other nonsense sh*t. Give me the old hand who’s seen some sh*t over the dippy 34 year old kid who spent ten years holding a tackling dummy for Hunter Henry drills

That’s fine; I would certainly prefer a veteran OC to the latest Guy Who Wasn’t Good Enough For Belichick But Will Definitely Be Great For Us. My point is that even if we convince one of those veterans to come here, he’s not producing 21 ppg once Jimmy G inevitably gets hurt. Likewise, if his job consists of sitting around watching Breece rip off six yards a pop and occasionally calling a playaction go ball from Carr to Wilson, we’ll all be popping champagne in 51 weeks.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I despise Zach Wilson, but even I think Zach has a better chance at being an NFL QB1 than Anthony Richardson. 

Wilson is hopeless.  The Jets may not have had the best possible OC and QBC, but that is no excuse for the worst QB play in the league and with zero improvement arc and a poor attitude to boot.

Richardson, Tanner McKee and Herndon Hooker all come with much more potential than ZW who is a proven zero as an NFL QB.

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, JTJet said:

Have we gotten to a point on the board that we agree this actually happened? 

I still think its 100% fabricated. 

Idk why, but I actually believe it. Like the pretzel thing, it just seems too specific to be fake. And I bet after that game was the lowest point of JDs career to date.

could be fake though 

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think it happened but it would be a lot funnier if it didn't. 

Just now, GangGreened said:

Idk why, but I actually believe it. Like the pretzel thing, it just seems too specific to be fake. And I bet after that game was the lowest point of JDs career to date.

could be fake though 

Seriously? 

There has never been a single indication that Joe Douglas is anything but cool and collected, and we just believe a rando from the interwebs? 

Listen, I ******* hate JD with a passion, but cmon what's more likely? JD randomly goes off on a fan? Or Some rando wants to pump his YouTube channel?

5 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Wilson is hopeless.  The Jets may not have had the best possible OC and QBC, but that is no excuse for the worst QB play in the league and with zero improvement arc and a poor attitude to boot.

Richardson, Tanner McKee and Herndon Hooker all come with much more potential than ZW who is a proven zero as an NFL QB.

Just watched some highlights of McKee and Hooker.  Both look like they have good natural ability but the highlights I saw involved a lot of clean pockets and open WRs.  

1 minute ago, JTJet said:

Seriously? 

There has never been a single indication that Joe Douglas is anything but cool and collected, and we just believe a rando from the interwebs? 

Listen, I ******* hate JD with a passion, but cmon what's more likely? JD randomly goes off on a fan? Or Some rando wants to pump his YouTube channel?

I see an opportunity here.  The Jets store should start selling coffee mugs with JD's photo and his signature tag line; "I will break you like pretzel".  I'd buy one

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Just watched some highlights of McKee and Hooker.  Both look like they have good natural ability but the highlights I saw involved a lot of clean pockets and open WRs.  

The question with Hooker is the knee.  If he came into the draft sands the injury. he'd be a first round lock.   McKee has it all with respect to size, arm strength, football IQ, and very clean fundamentals.  What we dont know is how he will do against an NFL pass rush and the overall speed of the game.  He could take to it like a duck to water, or he could flame.  Due to his football IQ and intangibles, I tend to think he will be able to step it up as needed.  I really like what I see.  IMHO, if Stanford was not such an awful team, he'd be regarded as a first round lock. 

36 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I do not believe that ANYONE, including JD, think he's salvageable. That's why JD attacked @kevinc855. He knows that Zach is done. He knows.  Everything else said by him and Saleh about still believing is just for show. If Jets didn't have 2 full yrs guaranteed to pay him, he'd already be gone. They know. They know. It's probably only Woody that still has to come to terms.

I could not disagree more.  If anything, based on the psychology of the situation, JD is more than likely in denial and feels he IS salvageable...  

23 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Seriously? 

Just going by what my gut says about it

I need to check out this YouTube channel though 

15 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

The question with Hooker is the knee.  If he came into the draft sands the injury. he'd be a first round lock.   McKee has it all with respect to size, arm strength, football IQ, and very clean fundamentals.  What we dont know is how he will do against an NFL pass rush and the overall speed of the game.  He could take to it like a duck to water, or he could flame.  Due to his football IQ and intangibles, I tend to think he will be able to step it up as needed.  I really like what I see.  IMHO, if Stanford was not such an awful team, he'd be regarded as a first round lock. 

Hooker looks like he throws beautiful passes and has a good arm.  

McKee is tall but he looks a little skinny for his frame to me. 

Just now, Dcat said:

it's a façade

No, actually its the four stages of grief.  Pretty common and repeatable.  JD is only at the denial stage at this point.  He first has to go thru this phase (it's not Zach, it's LaFleur's fault) on to anger (Zach isn't trying hard enough), to bartering (I'll adjust elsewhere if Zach can turn it around) and eventually acceptance.  It was easy for him to cut ties with Darnold - he wasn't his guy.  Will be much harder for him to get to acceptance with Zach who he hand picked.  It would take abnormal human discipline or an outside influence (Woody for example) for him to cut bait this quickly in my opinion...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

No, actually its the four stages of grief.  Pretty common and repeatable.  JD is only at the denial stage at this point.  He first has to go thru this phase (it's not Zach, it's LaFleur's fault) on to anger (Zach isn't trying hard enough), to bartering (I'll adjust elsewhere if Zach can turn it around) and eventually acceptance.  It was easy for him to cut ties with Darnold - he wasn't his guy.  Will be much harder for him to get to acceptance with Zach who he hand picked.  It would take abnormal human discipline or an outside influence (Woody for example) for him to cut bait this quickly in my opinion...

Oh I think he's well beyond denial.  If Kevin's tale is true, then anger has already spewed and probably has a lot more behind closed doors.  He sees and knows the rest of the league is laughing about Zach.  Or maybe he listens to simms.  Anyway, they won't cut bait now with that very large cap hit.  But they will try to trade him and make it look palatable.  There's your bartering.     But one year from now the team will cut him for less than half of that dead cap, unless Zach miraculously transforms into a competent NFL QB.  

39 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Hooker is older than Darmold and blew out his knee. Hard pass unless it's a late round flier. Not the answer.

19 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

gms hate admitting they were wrong on qbs.  They often double down on them and it’s worse.  

Sanchez extension after Woody dragged in Tebow comes to mind. Tannenbaum was not that stupid.  That was make-up money for bringing in Tebow. FWIW, I do not think there will be any doubling down with Zach. Jets are stuck w/2 years left on the gtd contract, and maybe if Zach shows any signs of being NFL ready in 2023, maybe just maybe some team will take a flyer on him for the 4th year.

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Lombardi had been a nightmare out there

In the 2 years that Lombardi was the Chargers OC the Chargers were the #4 offense in 2021 and #9 in 2022. I realize they have Herbert at QB but I don’t see that as a nightmare. Maybe you know something behind the scenes that I’m not aware of.

Jim Caldwell is lowkey a good candidate, despite the “retread” label.

Was OC for Ravens in 2013 when they won it all.

Caldwell went 36-28 with the freaking Lions as HC, including an 11-5 rookie season.

Nobody wins with the Lions.  Ever.

Caldwell also has experience as a QB coach.

What Saleh really needs is an experienced Wade Phillips type “head coach of the offense” so he can focus on figuring out time / game management and helping Ulbrich with the defense.

They should at least talk to Caldwell.

It’s disappointing his name has not surfaced, especially when you consider all the no-names and complete unknowns / dice rolls / wild cards (Nick Caley?) they are supposedly seriously considering.

• Upvote 4
  • More Ugh 1

2 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Jim Caldwell is lowkey a good candidate, despite the “retread” label.

Was OC for Ravens in 2013 when they won it all.

Caldwell went 36-28 with the freaking Lions as HC, including an 11-5 rookie season.

Nobody wins with the Lions.  Ever.

What Saleh really needs is an experienced Wade Phillips type “head coach of the offense” so he can focus on figuring out time / game management and helping Ulbrich with the defense.

They should at least talk to Caldwell.  It’s disappointing his name has not surfaced.

Jim Caldwell?

:rl: 

He made some real dumb decisions with the colts when he had Peyton manning in his prime. And he was one and done as OC In Baltimore (the year after they won the sb)

7 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Both look like projects to me.

I don’t think the top names are worth top-10 selections either.

It looks like a bad year for QBs.

Bryce Young looks like a javelin thrower who needs a running start to heave a deep ball and who might, at his size, crumple like a paper from an NFL hit.

Stroud struggles when pressured.

Levis looks like an INT machine.

12 minutes ago, BP said:

Jim Caldwell?

He made some real dumb decisions with the colts when he had Peyton manning in his prime. And he was one and done as OC In Baltimore (the year after they won the sb)

You’re wrong.

He won a Super Bowl calling plays for Joe Flacco.

Flacco played the best ball of his life during that run.

He made a few stupid decisions with the Colts.  Pulling starters for Curtis Painter in the regular season when they were like undefeated.  Everybody makes mistakes.

If that’s amusing to you, enjoy ?

1 hour ago, BP said:

Jim Caldwell?

He was one and done as the OC with the Ravens because he was hired as the head coach of the Lions. 

• Upvote 3

Quiet on the OC interviews. Jets buttoning up the agents? 

Rich Cimini @RichCimini

Updating #Jets search for OC: They've already talked to at least 4 candidates: Marcus Brady (former Colts OC), Darrell Bevell (Dolphins QBs/pass game coordinator), Nick Caley (Patriots TEs) and Kevin Patullo (Eagles pgc), per source. Quite likely more names on list.