Jets OC interviews (Merged OC Candidates Thread)

Larz

17 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Agreed, when there was talk of him leaving or being fired I was only in favor if I thought we would get a better candidate.  MLF made errors in the first few years but he was a rookie and like rookie players often coaches get better as they learn.

In any case the more important thing is the QB.

I know everyone wants a veteran OC but I honestly don’t think you need one if the plan is to get a veteran QB. 
Competent QB can make a first time play caller look fine.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

I’m really interested to see what happens with Joe Brady, but right this minute I have a feeling it will be Brian Johnson at OC with a senior advisor type like Nathanial Hackett. 

They want to get more innovative and creative by adding more RPO into the offense. That helps with rhythm and gives the QBs easy layups. They also want a more scheme-fluid offense that can evolve to the talent available. Johnson has been coaching and implementing RPO with all types of QBs in college and in the pros from Dak Prescott to Kyle Trask (the purest form of pocket passer) to Jalen Hurts, so you know he can work with different types of QBs. You also know he’s adaptable in terms of schemes… he was tasked with coaching the QBs through an ever changing scheme in PHI (they were changing things mid-season last year), which ultimately is built around what their QBs are most comfortable with. There are elements of all types off offensive backgrounds baked into that attack, and that’s kind of what the Jets want to be able to do: don’t marry a scheme, but build off of one. Brian Johnson optimizes that and you can argue his job is the most difficult/impressive of anyone’s involved in that PHI offense since he’s tasked with taking all the concepts/ideas and translating them to the QB in digestible pieces, while also coaching them on the fundamentals.

Ideally you want to incorporate a lot of what we already installed but with more of an RPO spin. That’s where an experienced OL/run game coordinator + Rob Calabrese and a Nathanial Hackett can help. 

???? i wonder which Qb they would psir with him 

7 minutes ago, football guy said:

I’m really interested to see what happens with Joe Brady, but right this minute I have a feeling it will be Brian Johnson at OC with a senior advisor type like Nathanial Hackett. 

They want to get more innovative and creative by adding more RPO into the offense. That helps with rhythm and gives the QBs easy layups. They also want a more scheme-fluid offense that can evolve to the talent available. Johnson has been coaching and implementing RPO with all types of QBs in college and in the pros from Dak Prescott to Kyle Trask (the purest form of pocket passer) to Jalen Hurts, so you know he can work with different types of QBs. You also know he’s adaptable in terms of schemes… he was tasked with coaching the QBs through an ever changing scheme in PHI (they were changing things mid-season last year), which ultimately is built around what their QBs are most comfortable with. There are elements of all types off offensive backgrounds baked into that attack, and that’s kind of what the Jets want to be able to do: don’t marry a scheme, but build off of one. Brian Johnson optimizes that and you can argue his job is the most difficult/impressive of anyone’s involved in that PHI offense since he’s tasked with taking all the concepts/ideas and translating them to the QB in digestible pieces, while also coaching them on the fundamentals.

Ideally you want to incorporate a lot of what we already installed but with more of an RPO spin. That’s where an experienced OL/run game coordinator + Rob Calabrese and a Nathanial Hackett can help. 

Ok, wait, pause on the folding.  I like this.

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, football guy said:

What I like about Johnson's resume is the steady improvement Hurts has made
since he got there:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/4040715/jalen-hurts

Let's remember Hurts wasn't highly thought of as a QB coming into the
league and now he's an MVP candidate

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, JETS SB said:

People forget why someone gets a head coach job in the first place. Bad head coaches are often great coordinators. I would hire him in a second. 

his QB was Aarron Rodgers. and as an offense guy he called the plays in Denver and he had a lot of weapons and the offense was horrible. Russ Wilson went backwards. 

i dont want the guy who just failed miserably. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, football guy said:

Why didn’t Brady interview Tuesday? Isn’t that traditionally the day guys that are still going interview?  Is it next Tuesday?

11 minutes ago, Cbucco19 said:

???? i wonder which Qb they would psir with him 

I don’t think they will necessarily pair scheme to QB. I think they will have their targets and build around what those players collectively do well. The beauty of the RPO is that it can work with any QB. The reason why it tends to be most lethal with QBs who can make second-reaction plays is because the offensive lineman are actually run blocking, so it gives a QB the ability to get outside to pass or run (see Zach Wilson). It also tends to get a guy open immediately, which benefits guys who make quick decisions and throw quick-hitters based on the pre-snap read (see Mike White, Jimmy Garoppolo).

So in short: I think they will focus on finding the QB they trust first, then have the OC build around that rather than forcing the QB to fit within a specific scheme to the QB. That gives them a little more flexibility who they can go after

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, Larz said:

Why didn’t Brady interview Tuesday? Isn’t that traditionally the day guys that are still going interview?  Is it next Tuesday?

People with the Jets believe he has no interest in leaving Buffalo after one year. He most likely won’t. Not even sure if the Jets put in a request

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Ok, wait, pause on the folding.  I like this.

Look don’t get your hopes up I’m making my guess based on what the Jets want to do on offense and the kind of character traits they’re looking for. By all accounts Brian Johnson fits that. They were excited about Caley’s interview too and he has a lot of the same characteristics minus a background on QBs, which is a major “+” for Johnson.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, football guy said:

They want to get more innovative and creative by adding more RPO into the offense. That helps with rhythm and gives the QBs easy layups. They also want a more scheme-fluid offense that can evolve to the talent available. Johnson has been coaching and implementing RPO with all types of QBs in college and in the pros from Dak Prescott to Kyle Trask (the purest form of pocket passer) to Jalen Hurts, so you know he can work with different types of QBs. You also know he’s adaptable in terms of schemes… he was tasked with coaching the QBs through an ever changing scheme in PHI (they were changing things mid-season last year), which ultimately is built around what their QBs are most comfortable with. There are elements of all types off offensive backgrounds baked into that attack, and that’s kind of what the Jets want to be able to do: don’t marry a scheme, but build off of several with a shared core philosophy. Brian Johnson optimizes that and you can argue his job is the most difficult/impressive of anyone’s involved in that PHI offense since he’s tasked with taking all the concepts/ideas and translating them to the QB in digestible pieces, while also coaching them on the fundamentals.

What does it matter what they already installed

I believe only about 5 of the OL are under contract for 2023 and one of those 5, Becton never really played in that system

WR - chances are Davis, Berrious may be cap casualty and GW was only in install for 1 season and could pretty much adapt to any system,  Moore and Mims  who cares at this point esp for the latter

RB - Breece ditto GW, MC sure he can handle new system being a good receiving back and good at pass protection

QB - only 2 of the 4 are signed for 2023 and one of them was PS player that barely got any attention anyway

TE - only 1 year in system and were not world beaters and Ruckert didn't see the field

the OL coach, WR Coach, and OC gone

so they can pretty much start fresh. 

53 minutes ago, football guy said:

They want to get more innovative and creative by adding more RPO into the offense. That helps with rhythm and gives the QBs easy layups. They also want a more scheme-fluid offense that can evolve to the talent available. Johnson has been coaching and implementing RPO with all types of QBs in college and in the pros from Dak Prescott to Kyle Trask (the purest form of pocket passer) to Jalen Hurts, so you know he can work with different types of QBs. You also know he’s adaptable in terms of schemes… he was tasked with coaching the QBs through an ever changing scheme in PHI (they were changing things mid-season last year), which ultimately is built around what their QBs are most comfortable with. There are elements of all types off offensive backgrounds baked into that attack, and that’s kind of what the Jets want to be able to do: don’t marry a scheme, but build off of several with a shared core philosophy. Brian Johnson optimizes that and you can argue his job is the most difficult/impressive of anyone’s involved in that PHI offense since he’s tasked with taking all the concepts/ideas and translating them to the QB in digestible pieces, while also coaching them on the fundamentals.

For all the casual fans..none of us really know how any of these first timer coaches will turn out. 

I am open-minded and at the very least like the fact that if this were the choice:

• They're looking at someone who can develop different style of QBs
  • Want to pair someone young and innovative with a senior assistant
  • Want the OC to be someone who is scheme adaptable 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, KRL said:

What I like about Johnson's resume is the steady improvement Hurts has made
since he got there:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/4040715/jalen-hurts

Let's remember Hurts wasn't highly thought of as a QB coming into the
league and now he's an MVP candidate

Also a good article on Johnson being an eventual head coaching candidate. I would hope ownership would be looking at this hire as someone who can be a possible HC replacement if things go sideways for Saleh.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/could-eagles-lose-qb-coach-brian-johnson-head-coach-job

5 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Not saying that is what happened here, but in my experience, when people start letting it be known they have declined an interview, it often means someone else is about to be hired.

Again, I obviously have no way of knowing if that is what happened here.

Also, ironically, he should decline Jets and Commanders since they are similar with HCs that likely are fired next year if they miss the playoffs.

23 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Robert should be forbidden hiring another friend. How about he hires someone…I don’t know…qualified for the job

They coached on the same staff so that means they’re friends? Why isn’t Hackett qualified for OC?

5 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

*Another possibility is that he likes their chances in Miami and thinks that we are a poorly run franchise.      

Well, the Jets are dysfunctional. There's no denying that. However...https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/dolphins-tampering-stephen-ross-draft-picks-tom-brady/v5ogmz4smlyjgcbmukswchiz  https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/brian-flores-dolphins-scandal-firing-nfl-lawsuit/vxcywrbhznx066mowbjkunbp

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Is this the guy that just had to give the ball to Marshawn Lynch to Win the Super Bowl and decided to pass?

Yep.

Bevell is garbage and he knew coming here to try to coach up Zach would be career suicide. I feel sorry for our next OC they will absolutely be fired next January 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, football guy said:

People with the Jets believe he has no interest in leaving Buffalo after one year. He most likely won’t. Not even sure if the Jets put in a request

If you are able, can you shed any insight into the Jets’ thoughts on Joe Brady?  He would be my #1 target for OC.  

I was intrigued when you said you were interested to see what happened with Brady, but then you followed it up by saying the Jets don’t think he wants to leave Buffalo and may not even interview him.

I thought he was on the official list of people being interviewed.