Jets OC interviews (Merged OC Candidates Thread)

Larz

2 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

I can't take another Hackett - since one of our biggest problems is with QB growth, maybe we shouldn't go with a guy who made Seattle's Wilson, look like our Wilson; funny Russell looked better without Hackett, but hey - let's bring him in....

Was an unmitigated disaster this season. His playcalling on offense this year was insanely moronic.  Don’t take it from me

His father sucked here too.  Wasted a fantastic OL built by Parcells, CuMar, Jordan, Moss, Coles and Chad before he fell apart.  

But I’m a Zach hater so maybe I should love this hire.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, VJphillyfan said:

He got coffee for Aaron Rodgers yay.  As did Adam Gase for Peyton and McDaniels did for Brady.

The comment I was referring to said Hackett's offenses were terrible, which is just not factual. He had Bortles and Fornette as the top Rushing attack in the NFL in 2017 too. I can envision a situation where the Jets want to model their team after that Jags team with stout defense and ball control offense. Heck if it weren't for Bortles there is a good hot the Jags win a SB, they hid him in the later stages of that playoff game.

Hackett got the interview because he knows Saleh and the Johnson family. I'm sure they picked his brain about Rodgers to cross reference it with anything Saleh may have talked to Matt Lafleur about. This interview is checking boxes IMO

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, football guy said:

Look don’t get your hopes up I’m making my guess based on what the Jets want to do on offense and the kind of character traits they’re looking for. By all accounts Brian Johnson fits that. They were excited about Caley’s interview too and he has a lot of the same characteristics minus a background on QBs, which is a major “+” for Johnson.

Has Brian Johnson interviewed or scheduled an interview?

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Fun fact about Brian Johnson: he’s been family friends with the Hurts family since high school. Hurts’ dad was his coach. 

Also another fun fact:

Jalen Hurts has the same name as Jalen Brunson. We can use the dad connection again 

Jalen Hurts to NY?

3 hours ago, football guy said:

Look don’t get your hopes up I’m making my guess based on what the Jets want to do on offense and the kind of character traits they’re looking for. By all accounts Brian Johnson fits that. They were excited about Caley’s interview too and he has a lot of the same characteristics minus a background on QBs, which is a major “+” for Johnson.

I like both of them as candidates quite a bit, so I’d be thrilled tbqh ??

30 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

If you are able, can you shed any insight into the Jets’ thoughts on Joe Brady?  He would be my #1 target for OC.  

I was intrigued when you said you were interested to see what happened with Brady, but then you followed it up by saying the Jets don’t think he wants to leave Buffalo and may not even interview him.

I thought he was on the official list of people being interviewed.

As for Brady: they spoke to his reps was the last I got on Sunday. Didn’t get the sense they spoke to him directly nor did they have an official interview. He obviously had a lot to focus on so I’m not saying it won’t happen—they could very well circle back if and when the Bills are eliminated—but that’s simply the sense people with the Jets got… he’s only 33 years old and probably wants more time working with Josh Allen and the Bills. I’m sure the Jets would love him given what they’re aiming for on offense, but getting people to leave good situations is not always so simple. 

30 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Has Brian Johnson interviewed or scheduled an interview?

Already interviewed via Zoom

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, RoadFan said:

By the time this is over, many of us are going to wish they just let MiLF get better.

The vast majority of these candidates are not upgrades….

this is the "post of the century." 

our offense had a perfect storm of problems between horrible QB play, and unnatural number of injuries on the OL and lost our best RB by week 7. i dont think any OC can over come that. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, football guy said:

If/when these coaches are eliminated from the playoffs, Dan Pitcher (CIN) is on the list as a person of interest. 

There are other names out there on playoff teams that I’m sure we can connect the dots for, but Pitcher is a definite. 

Just saw on some Giants site that Brian Johnson Eagles QB coach is the guy. Don’t know how reliable .

8 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Give me Hackett over some young TE coach learning how to do his job for the first time. 

Yeah. Let’s pick a known bad coach and failure over someone who might be a good coach. I’m all for picking an experienced OC, but not the guy who coached the worst offense in the NFL last season. And that offense had talent. The Broncos were the worst coached team I’ve seen in a long time. This would be a horrible hire

49 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Wow

Justin needs to put some context around that

Via Breer 

If New England goes outside the family and wants to lean into the idea of running a Shanahan-McVay style of attack, guys such as the Rams’ Zac Robinson or Jake Peetz, or the Niners’ Bobby Slowik, would make sense, and former Jets OC Mike LaFleur could, too.

And I don’t know whether Belichick will open this thing up to that degree. But it’d be fun if he did.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/01/18/daniel-jones-free-agency-unprecedented-giants

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, football guy said:

I’m really interested to see what happens with Joe Brady, but right this minute I have a feeling it will be Brian Johnson at OC with a senior advisor type like Nathanial Hackett. 

They want to get more innovative and creative by adding more RPO into the offense. That helps with rhythm and gives the QBs easy layups. They also want a more scheme-fluid offense that can evolve to the talent available. Johnson has been coaching and implementing RPO with all types of QBs in college and in the pros from Dak Prescott to Kyle Trask (the purest form of pocket passer) to Jalen Hurts, so you know he can work with different types of QBs. You also know he’s adaptable in terms of schemes… he was tasked with coaching the QBs through an ever changing scheme in PHI (they were changing things mid-season last year), which ultimately is built around what their QBs are most comfortable with. There are elements of all types off offensive backgrounds baked into that attack, and that’s kind of what the Jets want to be able to do: don’t marry a scheme, but build off of several with a shared core philosophy. Brian Johnson optimizes that and you can argue his job is the most difficult/impressive of anyone’s involved in that PHI offense since he’s tasked with taking all the concepts/ideas and translating them to the QB in digestible pieces, while also coaching them on the fundamentals.

Ideally you want to incorporate a lot of what we already installed but with more of an RPO spin. That’s where an experienced OL/run game coordinator + Rob Calabrese and a Nathanial Hackett can help. 

A connection to Johnson - Asst GM Rex Hogan was director of football operations at University of Utah when Johnson QB’d there. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

I can't take another Hackett - since one of our biggest problems is with QB growth, maybe we shouldn't go with a guy who made Seattle's Wilson, look like our Wilson; funny Russell looked better without Hackett, but hey - let's bring him in....

not only that but he couldn't even figure out how to use his rbs. he had melvin gordon taking carries over javonte williams and then when williams got hurt he started to finally take carries away from gordon but for other scrubs who he couldn't figure out what to do with either. last thing we need is for him to come here and **** breece hall up

10 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

The comment I was referring to said Hackett's offenses were terrible, which is just not factual. He had Bortles and Fornette as the top Rushing attack in the NFL in 2017 too. I can envision a situation where the Jets want to model their team after that Jags team with stout defense and ball control offense. Heck if it weren't for Bortles there is a good hot the Jags win a SB, they hid him in the later stages of that playoff game.

Hackett got the interview because he knows Saleh and the Johnson family. I'm sure they picked his brain about Rodgers to cross reference it with anything Saleh may have talked to Matt Lafleur about. This interview is checking boxes IMO

Doug Marrone did all the work in Jax in 2017.  You guys are being swindled

12 hours ago, C Mart said:

They coached on the same staff so that means they’re friends? Why isn’t Hackett qualified for OC?

I don't know if you have been keeping up with current events, but Denver's offense this year looked like MiLF was the OC. 

And that MiLF is the only MiLF that makes my undercarriage unresponsive.