Jets OC interviews (Merged OC Candidates Thread)

Larz

9 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

if Emmanuel Acho is your champion... yikes

Oh, I don’t care who the messenger is… the fact is, Greg Roman has done for QBs what everyone said Chan Gailey did… got something from what was seen as nothing.

Since we have nothing, I don’t think beggars should be choosers. Am I pounding the table for him? Nah. Would he be the best OC hiring decision in almost 20 years? Yup.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, football guy said:

I don't know enough about Byron Leftwich, but what I do know is that Todd Bowles has been a full-time HC for 5 seasons and has fired 4 offensive coordinators. Have to wonder if some of it has to do with Bowles himself. 

I’m scared that ravens steal Johnson now 

15 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

or maybe we have a decade worth evidence of a Greg Roman run offense is a fossil. (SF, Buffalo, and Baltimore)

Looks like he was OC in SF from 2011 to 2014.

13 - 3

11-4-1

12 - 4

8 - 8

3 NFC Championship Games (won 1), 1 Super Bowl (lost).

I dunno. I think I would take that.

• Upvote 4

Roman is such a ridiculously huge upgrade over  MLF, in every way. But of course we still have Jets fans in this forum who want Mike White to throw for 400 yards, rush the ball 10 times and lose. Bring in a passing coordinator/good QB coach to work with whoever is our QB, but we are built as a running team with Breece and Bam and others.  Yes we have Garrett Wilson, but who else? Moore/Conklin? We have a winnable defense. The offset of that is a running game. We aren’t built like the Bengals or the Bucs. We don’t have the weapons in the passing game and we don’t need to match them, if we identify as a defensive team with a solid running game. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, football guy said:

If I'm the Jets, I'm paying Greg Roman big money to come here as an Senior Offensive Assistant/Run Game Coordinator. Ideal marriage is pairing someone who is creative and well coached with QBs (Brian Johnson) with a guy like Roman to design your run game and RPO packages. 

Under this scenario who is calling the plays? I would hope not Roman, but can certainly see the appeal of him for overseeing all operations of the run game / OL portion of the offense.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

This is funny and has doom written all over it.

Lamar came into the league as a mid tier QB prospect, looked only okay but mostly meh under the offense designed for Flacco.

Greg Roman 100% totally redesigns an offense around what lamar does well and makes him a star, then Roman gets it in the neck because Lamar wants to be a drop back passer.

its a dog eat dog world out there

1 minute ago, Lurker89 said:

JFC ... this would be a solid hire. Some of you live in a fantasy land and only want currently successful employed O-minded head coaches to come here and be our OC... you're drunk go home.

agreed and as much as I want them to I know it not going to happen.

• Upvote 1

Greg Roman's track record as Offensive Coordinator

Offe Offe
Year
Tm Role Tms Yds Pts
2022 BAL OC 32 16 19
2021 BAL OC 32 6 17
2020 BAL OC 32 19 7
2019 BAL OC 32 2 1
2016 BUF OC 32 16 10
2015 BUF OC 32 13 12
2014 SFO OC 32 20 25
2013 SFO OC 32 24 11
2012 SFO OC 32 11 11
2011 SFO OC 32 26 11
  • WTF? 1

My son is a Ravens fan so I've watched a lot of their games as a secondary rooting interest when there's no conflict with the Jets.  Greg Roman is hated by Baltimore Ravens fans and a horrific Offensive Coordinator.  Their offense often appeared to be clueless and was it was left to Lamar to try to generate offense by running all of the time.  The offense was Gase-like at times and under no circumstances can we bring him to the Jets.  Any success the Ravens have had, and they've been a fairly successful organization for a long period of time, came in spite of Greg Roman's play calling, not because of it.  HARD PASS.

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1