Jets OC interviews (Merged OC Candidates Thread)

Larz

On 1/17/2023 at 1:39 PM, football guy said:

Total teams who have a current OC or HC vacancy (will likely be in the market for a new OC): 

1. Arizona Cardinals* 
  2. Carolina Panthers* 
  3. Denver Broncos* 
  4. Houston Texans* 
  5. Indianapolis Colts* 
  6. Los Angeles Chargers
  7. Los Angeles Rams
  8. New England Patriots 
  9. New York Jets 
  10. Tampa Bay Buccaneers 
  11. Tennessee Titans 
  12. Washington Commanders

Teams who could lose their current OC to other jobs: 

• Baltimore Ravens
  • New York Giants 
  • Philadelphia Eagles 

... could be another few weeks before we find out who will be our OC

This is as astounding to me.

This amount must be unprecedented, no?

All I see is a shuffling of the deck here.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, football guy said:

If I'm the Jets, I'm paying Greg Roman big money to come here as an Senior Offensive Assistant/Run Game Coordinator. Ideal marriage is pairing someone who is creative and well coached with QBs (Brian Johnson) and a guy like Roman to design and implement your run game/RPO packages. 

with all the NFL OC vacancies, as well as potential college landing spots (there's already speculation that michigan could look to roman given his past with jim harbaugh), why do you think roman would accept a non-coordinator position?

37 minutes ago, Duckman said:

My son is a Ravens fan so I've watched a lot of their games as a secondary rooting interest when there's no conflict with the Jets.  Greg Roman is hated by Baltimore Ravens fans and a horrific Offensive Coordinator.  Their offense often appeared to be clueless and was it was left to Lamar to try to generate offense by running all of the time.  The offense was Gase-like at times and under no circumstances can we bring him to the Jets.  Any success the Ravens have had, and they've been a fairly successful organization for a long period of time, came in spite of Greg Roman's play calling, not because of it.  HARD PASS.

The Ravens were 12th in DVOA offense this year while missing Lamar for 5 games. The best DVOA offense Gase ever had with the Jets was 31st. The best DVOA offense Roman ever had with the Ravens was 1st.

Other than that, sweet comparison. But you watched the games so.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The Ravens were 12th in DVOA offense this year while missing Lamar for 5 games. The best DVOA offense Gase ever had with the Jets was 31st. The best DVOA offense Roman ever had with the Ravens was 1st.

Whether this is true or false, it is certainly true that Ravens fans HATE Greg Roman.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Under this scenario who is calling the plays? I would hope not Roman, but can certainly see the appeal of him for overseeing all operations of the run game / OL portion of the offense.

Have to give the OC first dibs. At least you would have someone with NFL experience calling the plays though. 

I think there are 15 teams with HC/OC/DC positions open. That doesn't include the Browns, who just hired Jim Schwartz to be DC

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

How much did the Ravens having a top 5 defense in points/yards for 4 out of the last 5 seasons impact the DVOA for the Ravens offense during the four seasons Greg Roman was their offensive coordinator?

• WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, football guy said:

Have to give the OC first dibs. At least you would have someone with NFL experience calling the plays though. 

I think there are 15 teams with HC/OC/DC positions open. That doesn't include the Browns, who just hired Jim Schwartz to be DC

No OC interviews today?

1 hour ago, football guy said:

If I'm the Jets, I'm paying Greg Roman big money to come here as an Senior Offensive Assistant/Run Game Coordinator. Ideal marriage is pairing someone who is creative and well coached with QBs (Brian Johnson) and a guy like Roman to design and implement your run game/RPO packages. 

That's recreating the type of scenario where Joe Brady flourished at LSU with Steve Ensminger playing the Roman role and Brady as Brian Johnson. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

It's a tough sale selling a potential OC this job opening.  When you have no QB and no O line to speak of, does it become more of a challenge to a candidate?  I mean do you purchase a car without an engine or transmission because that's basically what we have.  We don't even know how Breese Hall will be...probably won't have him until mid-season and look how long it took Barkley to recover...two years.  And how will AVT be?  Will our rookies have a setback...lots of questions for an OC coming here.  

• WTF? 1

2 hours ago, Morrissey said:

are you seriously comparing Greg Roman's offense to Shanahan's offense?

Who said that? All I said was that a good defense and good running game is a formula to success and the 49ers proved it. So has Greg Roman in his 22 years of coaching including with the Ravens and 49ers. But hey, we should have stayed with MLF and set a record for not scoring touchdowns. 

58 minutes ago, Cbucco19 said:

Ravens and Lamar are going to end up with Brian Johnson aren’t they ? @football guy

No clue. Lamar clearly wants to be in more of a sustainable “pro-style” offense which is more WR friendly. That opens up the possibilities tremendously… if you’re Frank Reich and you don’t land a HC job, I would think that’s the spot you want to land. Little risk of getting fired, great opportunity to land another HC job

• Upvote 1

Everyone here are complaining the candidates for Offensive Coordinator lack any experience> I agree also that they have no experience to be a OC to these QB like Zach Wilson. But one coach came to my mind and he is a veteran at being a OC and later a head coach and its Jason Garrett. Jason Garrett is the only one that is a veteran and coached as an OC the likes of Tony Romo and Dak Prescott. I think the Jets should give him a chance to be Wilsons new coordinator.

I know everyone here don't like it!!!! But why don't you start naming someone that is a veteran that is not retired and still coaching!!!!

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

This isn’t about Wilson anymore, he has no chance to be the starting quarterback next year. With the rest of the regime on the hot seat, they are not going to bank on Wilson with their jobs on the line.

image.png.c188540eb3b82b0125f837f802001313.png

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1