Jets OC interviews (Merged OC Candidates Thread)

Larz

4 hours ago, NYJCAP2 said:

This is as astounding to me.

This amount must be unprecedented, no?

All I see is a shuffling of the deck here.

Seriously, almost half the teams in the league are looking for OC. There may be some recycling of coaches or maybe pull from the college ranks??

5 hours ago, football guy said:

If I'm the Jets, I'm paying Greg Roman big money to come here as an Senior Offensive Assistant/Run Game Coordinator. Ideal marriage is pairing someone who is creative and well coached with QBs (Brian Johnson) and a guy like Roman to design and implement your run game/RPO packages. 

Just give him the OC...beggers cant be choosers here.  He would be 1000X % better than the little flower...that's a good improvement right there...don't be greedy.

get him a good QB coach, PGC, OL coach, and WR coach...whatever he wants but make no mistake he in charge.

I do agree ....give him big $ though and go get him.

14 minutes ago, football guy said:

With MIN firing their DC, 16/24 non-playoff teams are in the market for a HC, OC, and/or DC (Cleveland recently replaced their DC or else it would’ve been 17/24). 

I’ve never seen anything like this.

Many coordinator firings are scapegoat firings for a HC to keep his job. What this probably means in the end is that next year there might be an unprecedented number of HC firings. I don't think LaFleur was a scapegoat though I suspect it was a difficult firing that needed to be done.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, football guy said:

With MIN firing their DC, 16/24 non-playoff teams are in the market for a HC, OC, and/or DC (Cleveland recently replaced their DC or else it would’ve been 17/24). 

I’ve never seen anything like this.

Dan says it’s a NFL OC gig

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, AL047 said:

Everyone here are complaining the candidates for Offensive Coordinator lack any experience> I agree also that they have no experience to be a OC to these QB like Zach Wilson. But one coach came to my mind and he is a veteran at being a OC and later a head coach and its Jason Garrett. Jason Garrett is the only one that is a veteran and coached as an OC the likes of Tony Romo and Dak Prescott. I think the Jets should give him a chance to be Wilsons new coordinator.

I know everyone here don't like it!!!! But why don't you start naming someone that is a veteran that is not retired and still coaching!!!!

He's been mentioned...

5 hours ago, AL047 said:

Everyone here are complaining the candidates for Offensive Coordinator lack any experience> I agree also that they have no experience to be a OC to these QB like Zach Wilson. But one coach came to my mind and he is a veteran at being a OC and later a head coach and its Jason Garrett. Jason Garrett is the only one that is a veteran and coached as an OC the likes of Tony Romo and Dak Prescott. I think the Jets should give him a chance to be Wilsons new coordinator.

I know everyone here don't like it!!!! But why don't you start naming someone that is a veteran that is not retired and still coaching!!!!

Does he even want to coach?

It would never happen, but a Greg Roman, Justin Fields combo would be interesting. With Chicago having the #1 pick, it's possible they take the more traditional Bryce Young. Although, they'll get a boat load in a trade down scenario. 

• Upvote 1
  • Ugh 1

10 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Many coordinator firings are scapegoat firings for a HC to keep his job. What this probably means in the end is that next year there might be an unprecedented number of HC firings. I don't think LaFleur was a scapegoat though I suspect it was a difficult firing that needed to be done.

In this case the OC firing was a scapegoat for the qb

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

On 1/19/2023 at 3:03 AM, Maynard13 said:

Watch. No one will want to come here and have to tutor Zachapoopoo. They’ll end up re-hiring MLF and saying they acted to hastily. 

Hackett 2.0 is inevitable.  Lots of younger jets fans here who don’t remember his dad’s amazing 3rd and 9 draw plays

18 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

How much of this had to do with the Ravens never selecting a top offensive playmaker in the 1st two rounds of the draft except Marquis Brown who they never used correctly  & traded, Bateman (18 gp) who could never stay on the field & Dobbins (23 gp) 

Their best selection was and still is Andrews in the 3rd the same year LJ selected.

I think they realized that LJ was a superior athlete but not a superior QB so they focused on defense, OL and the running game and 10-20 yard throws. Pretty much what we need to do if Zach is to be successful.
Still can’t believe they traded away Orlando Brown Jr. For Pennie’s on the dollar. All-Pro 4 years running. The Chiefs traded their 2021 first-round pick (No. 31 overall), a third-rounder (94), fourth-round pick (136) and a 2022 fifth-round selection in exchange for Brown and a 2021 second-round pick (No. 58) and a 2022 sixth-round pick.

I’m all in on Roman!

image.thumb.png.2a52d6befb8b3c986da2eb43f8ffa081.png

Edited by 32EBoozer

On 1/18/2023 at 8:39 PM, C Mart said:

A connection to Johnson - Asst GM Rex Hogan was director of football operations at University of Utah when Johnson QB’d there. 

The Jets are clearly trying to position Hogan as some kind of future GM candidate but I doubt the rest of the league is impressed 

He’s been with the Jets seemingly forever — minus a brief detour in Indy? — and they haven’t accomplished jack

The last few years, Hogan has been at JD’s side during the post-draft pressers

I’d be more interested in hearing what ex-GM Phil Savage has to say on specific players than Hogan

2 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

The Jets are clearly trying to position Hogan as some kind of future GM candidate but I doubt the rest of the league is impressed 

He’s been with the Jets seemingly forever — minus a brief detour in Indy? — and they haven’t accomplished jack

The last few years, Hogan has been at JD’s side during the post-draft pressers

I’d be more interested in hearing what ex-GM Phil Savage has to say on specific players than Hogan

Well re-looking at Hogan's bio I had his stops/dates wrong.  He was with the Bears as a scout 2003-2015 so he wasn't at Utah when Brian Johnson played there.  My bad.

Jets senior director of college scouting since January 2015–May 2017..Colts 2017-June 2019

The firing of MLF is not black and white. It wasn't solely due to Zach's development, it wasn't solely due to offensive production, it wasn't solely due to a present disconnect with the players. Many times coaches are fired as a scapegoat, but I don't think this is one of those times. Good coaches get fired- it happens. Kyle Shanahan has been fired as an OC. The problem with LaFleur really came down to his inability to clearly communicate. Is he articulate? Yes. Intellegent? Yes. Ethical? Yes. Transparent? No. Confrontational? No. 

It's one thing to be confrontational in an abrasive way, another to be confrontational in a positive way. One is a means to push people in a way to incite a conflict, the other is a means to challenge people in a way to solve collective problems. If you can't be clear and concise with people who work with and for you (from players, to staff, to head coach, to front office), it's going to be very hard to identity and resolve problems collectively. Mike LaFleur lacked these aspects of his personality/approach. He said the right things in the media and behind closed doors that made him sound like a leader (i.e. "its on me"), but actions speak louder than words. It was something that was clear last offseason, with MLF and Saleh agreeing that he needed to be a better leader and a better communicator. Unfortunately he didn't take those strides. 

Whoever they add as the OC is going to be someone they feel can be the opposite of what MLF was from a personality standpoint. Communication and leadership traits will be key. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, football guy said:

The firing of MLF is not black and white. It wasn't solely due to Zach's development, it wasn't solely due to offensive production, it wasn't solely due to a present disconnect with the players. Many times coaches are fired as a scapegoat, but I don't think this is one of those times. Good coaches get fired- it happens. Kyle Shanahan has been fired as an OC. The problem with LaFleur really came down to his inability to clearly communicate. Is he articulate? Yes. Intellegent? Yes. Ethical? Yes. Transparent? No. Confrontational? No. 

It's one thing to be confrontational in an abrasive way, another to be confrontational in a positive way. One is a means to push people in a way to incite a conflict, the other is a means to challenge people in a way to solve collective problems. If you can't be clear and concise with people who work with and for you (from players, to staff, to head coach, to front office), it's going to be very hard to identity and resolve problems collectively. Mike LaFleur lacked these aspects of his personality/approach. He said the right things in the media and behind closed doors that made him sound like a leader (i.e. "its on me"), but actions speak louder than words. It was something that was clear last offseason, with MLF and Saleh agreeing that he needed to be a better leader and a better communicator. Unfortunately he didn't take those strides. 

Whoever they add as the OC is going to be someone they feel can be the opposite of what MLF was from a personality standpoint. Communication and leadership traits will be key. 

Is Brian Johnson a strong possibility? 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

All fans hate their favorite teams’s OC

Amazingly true.  And fully guilty.  But most of the hate developed over the course of each OC's tenure. 
The Post-Parcells years: 

• Hated Paul Hackett more and more each game while he was here; 
  • had high hopes for Heimerdinger...   didn't pan out to say the least (4 wins), but I didn't despise him like some of the others (maybe because he wasn't here long enough for me to grow to despise him)
  • I liked Schotty at first, but as the 6 years rolled along, frustration, cynicism, ridicule and the like became common
  • This batch: Sparano. Nice guy. Wrong choice.  Not really a qualified OC. Morningweg and Gaily felt like has been journeymen who didn't bring anything special to the team.
  • Morton.  I still have no clue WTF happened with Morton. Just weird.  Only the Jets.
  • Bates and Kenny Loggins. Made me throw up.
  • Mike LaFleur.  High hopes based on Saleh's enthusiasm in bringing him in and the other LaFleur's NFL experience.  MLF simply not ready for the position especially with a rookie HC and rookie "franchise" draft pick QB. MLF was the definitive "put in the wrong role, in the wrong place, at the wrong time".  Perhaps the Jetsyest one of all if you think about it.  Down the road I'd expect him to become quite good at it, but not now. 

28 minutes ago, football guy said:

This is upbeat because it may not disqualify some of the younger guys like a Johnson or Petulo who haven’t called plays yet. Sounds like MLF was shown the door because he’s a socially inept Dick, not because he was young or not qualified.