Jets OC interviews (Merged OC Candidates Thread)

Larz

10 minutes ago, section314 said:

I honestly think how he transformed the defense this year saved Saleh. 

The talent he had this season is superior to what he had in '21..2 terrific CBs, Lawson, Alexander, etc. plus those returning from ‘21 were more familiar with the system 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, football guy said:

Gut feeling if he wants the job I think it will be his. There's a lot of support for him around the league, but also some connections among the Jets decision makers. He's known for being innovative, adaptable, and has strong communication skills. He's pretty much the opposite of MLF in the sense that he connects with players well and takes guys under his wing.

As far as connections with the organization: Joe Douglas is still close with a lot of people in the Philadelphia Eagles and University of Florida football programs. There's also Rex Hogan who worked with a lot of the guys on the PHI staff and also was in the same building as Brian Johnson at the college level as well. But the underrated aspect to all of this is Robert Saleh's connection. Matt LaFleur and the Packers interviewed Brian Johnson for their OC position last year and came away extremely impressed. Saleh consults with former coaches and players (Mike Shanahan, Steve Young, Alex Smith, etc.) as well and their recommendation is part of the reason why they hired Greg Knapp in the first place... both Steve Young and Alex Smith are big Brian Johnson guys. Johnson was Alex Smith's former backup and roommate. Not that anyone cares about him on here, but there are also connections to Zach Wilson as well... Zach was a huge Utah Ute fan growing up and first connected with Brian Johnson at their yearly summer camps. To my knowledge they stayed in contact throughout his adolescence. As we all know, Steve Young and Alex Smith are two of Zach's higher profile mentors. Being that the Jets are sincere about wanting to develop Wilson, bringing in a guy who he's familiar with that has the reputation, temperament, diligence, and track record for developing QBs is a compelling reason in addition to everything else Johnson brings to the table 

Another brain dead decision by the FO if true. Connections, connections, connections. It's never about being the best man for the job. As long as you know JD you'll get a job. If Zach Wilson is that starting QB next year the entire FO needs to be fired. 

11 hours ago, VJphillyfan said:

In this case the OC firing was a scapegoat for the qb

He was a scapegoat for the FO for picking Wilson and missing very badly. There's a reason why guys with "connections" on this board are running around here playing PR for the front office to the point that they're blaming the actual selection of Zach Wilson on MLF.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Disagree but you are one of the biggest Zach haters so you will never see anything different.

Genuinely curious as to what makes you qualified to be a “Zach hater” because there ain’t much there to love other than “strong arm” right now.

• Upvote 1

Not sure if he's been interviewed but I think who makes the most sense is Joe Lombardi. 

2014-2020: New Orleans Saints QB Coach under Payton. 5 straight years top 5 offense

2021-2022 OC Chargers 

Developed Herbert

Top 5 offense 2021

Top 10 offense 2022

Scapegoat for Staleys defense collapsing in the the WC game against the Jags. 

The offense took a dip this year, so did Herbert's production. Although, Keenan Allen and Mike Williams played in only 4 games together. All Pro LT Slater was injured in week 3 and missed the rest of the season and 2 other starting offensive lineman missed 3 games each. Even with that still top 10 in scoring and yards. I don't see a connection to JD though so he probably won't be hired. JD only hires friends. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

Another brain dead decision by the FO if true. Connections, connections, connections. It's never about being the best man for the job. As long as you know JD you'll get a job. If Zach Wilson is that starting QB next year the entire FO needs to be fired. 

Jalen Hurts, who couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn when he got to the Eagles, is an MVP candidate. Gee, I wonder who might have helped get him there? 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, section314 said:

Jalen Hurts, who couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn when he got to the Eagles, is an MVP candidate. Gee, I wonder who might have helped get him there? 

Yep

If we aren’t replacing LaFleur with a guy like Reich or Monken, then at least give me a guy who is a bright up-and-comer who has some playcalling experience.

I didn’t even think Hurts was NFL worthy as a backup. Now just three years into his career, the dude looks like what many thought Vick could eventually morph into.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

12 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Genuinely curious as to what makes you qualified to be a “Zach hater” because there ain’t much there to love other than “strong arm” right now.

See, I don't quite agree with that. I think with all the things coming out about how Zach and the entire offense was handled Zach should get some benefit of the doubt in terms of his future development. Yes he was awful down the stretch especially in the Jacksonville and New England games but we know that LaFleur did nothing at best and was proactively destructive at worst in helping him play better. 

We now know that the Moore situation was targeted at LaFleur not Zach, that Zach was not given any coaching and that LaFleur both disliked Zach and outright refused to try and get him to develop. Players are coming out and saying that the offense was one of the most complicated in the NFL. LaFleur admitted he simplified things for White but not for Zach. And that is not even going into the brain dead play calling and teams knowing exactly where we were going pre-snap.

And there are some positives you can look at with Zach. One of the main ones is that in the 4th quarter when LaFleur is forced to open things up a bit, Zach was actually 8th in the NFL in passer rating even including the two NE games and the Jacksonville game.

I am not saying that people should love Zach or that we should go into next season with him as the presumptive starter but I do think people need to be reasonable and realize he is still a fantastic prospect and is much more than just a strong arm and that maybe this is more a coaching issue than player issue. Lawrence was horrible until he got some good coaching as well.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

38 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

See, I don't quite agree with that. I think with all the things coming out about how Zach and the entire offense was handled Zach should get some benefit of the doubt in terms of his future development. Yes he was awful down the stretch especially in the Jacksonville and New England games but we know that LaFleur did nothing at best and was proactively destructive at worst in helping him play better. 

We now know that the Moore situation was targeted at LaFleur not Zach, that Zach was not given any coaching and that LaFleur both disliked Zach and outright refused to try and get him to develop. Players are coming out and saying that the offense was one of the most complicated in the NFL. LaFleur admitted he simplified things for White but not for Zach. And that is not even going into the brain dead play calling and teams knowing exactly where we were going pre-snap.

And there are some positives you can look at with Zach. One of the main ones is that in the 4th quarter when LaFleur is forced to open things up a bit, Zach was actually 8th in the NFL in passer rating even including the two NE games and the Jacksonville game.

I am not saying that people should love Zach or that we should go into next season with him as the presumptive starter but I do think people need to be reasonable and realize he is still a fantastic prospect and is much more than just a strong arm and that maybe this is more a coaching issue than player issue. Lawrence was horrible until he got some good coaching as well.

He is, currently, a historically bad bust of a QB.  There is a certain line you draw when trying to find a reason why Zach faltered.  Mike LaFleur sucked, but he’s not telling Zach to throw across his body, while on the run, straight to the Patriots DBs, multiple times a game and, before you say it, he doesn’t or shouldn’t need a coach to tell him it’s a really stupid idea.

Taking positives out of the 2 Patriots games or the Jacksonville is pure coping and Zach is, quite possibly, the furthest thing possible from “fantastic prospect” right now.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, Mogglez said:

+1000

Brian Johnson is a very good candidate that we would be lucky to land.  Gotta hope those connections mean something because I got a bad feeling the Ravens may go after him.

Also have to hope that Steichen doesn’t get a HC gig.

That eliminates the chances of Johnson staying in Philly as OC if Steichen leaves.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Also have to hope that Steichen doesn’t get a HC gig.

That eliminates the chances of Johnson staying in Philly as OC if Steichen leaves.

Didn’t even really think of that.

GO BIIIIIIIRDS ???????!!!! MAKE A DEEP RUN!!!!

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, C Mart said:

The talent he had this season is superior to what he had in '21..2 terrific CBs, Lawson, Alexander, etc. plus those returning from ‘21 were more familiar with the system 

It helps when you pick a cornerback that might already be on a hall of fame trajectory. 

13 hours ago, choon328 said:

Not sure if he's been interviewed but I think who makes the most sense is Joe Lombardi. 

2014-2020: New Orleans Saints QB Coach under Payton. 5 straight years top 5 offense

2021-2022 OC Chargers 

Developed Herbert

Top 5 offense 2021

Top 10 offense 2022

Scapegoat for Staleys defense collapsing in the the WC game against the Jags. 

The offense took a dip this year, so did Herbert's production. Although, Keenan Allen and Mike Williams played in only 4 games together. All Pro LT Slater was injured in week 3 and missed the rest of the season and 2 other starting offensive lineman missed 3 games each. Even with that still top 10 in scoring and yards. I don't see a connection to JD though so he probably won't be hired. JD only hires friends. 

You think that Joe Lombardi "developed" justin herbert?  Is that really the analysis.

In 2022, Herbert threw downfield (20 or more yards) on a meager 9.7 percent of his attempts, the 29th highest rate in the league. Since the start of the 2021 season, Herbert ranks 31st in air yards per attempt.  These stats come from an offense that has a 6'6 QB with top 3 arm strength in the league.  

Please keep Joe Lombardi far away from here

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

21 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Didn’t even really think of that.

GO BIIIIIIIRDS ???????!!!! MAKE A DEEP RUN!!!!

Easy promotion + not having to move the wife and kids (idk if dude is married or whatever).

Double reason to root against the Giants today.

I feel like Steichen’s only real landing spot would be Carolina. So let’s hope Payton is the guy there.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

For the love of God, having a strong arm and a quick release do not make you a fantastic prospect when:

1. You are arguably the least accurate QB in the league; and

2. You can't manage the pocket well because your flee backwards at a miniscule sign of pressure. 

You know who else probably still has a cannon arm and can probably outrun Zach? Colin Kaepernick. Is he also a "fantastic prospect"?

Maaaaaaan you nailed it.  Traits mean absolutely nothing if you can’t utilize them effectively.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

He is, currently, a historically bad bust of a QB.  There is a certain line you draw when trying to find a reason why Zach faltered.  Mike LaFleur sucked, but he’s not telling Zach to throw across his body, while on the run, straight to the Patriots DBs, multiple times a game and, before you say it, he doesn’t or shouldn’t need a coach to tell him it’s a really stupid idea.

Taking positives out of the 2 Patriots games or the Jacksonville is pure coping and Zach is, quite possibly, the furthest thing possible from “fantastic prospect” right now.

Still think he was failed massively from a coaching perspective. I was reading what Pep Hamilton did for Herbert and it’s just mind blowing what a real QB coach should be doing. 

Not arguing for him anymore but so much more could have been done. Is what it is now, he sucks  

Would be nice if this organization didn’t have to hit the unicorn pick of a Luck/Burrow #1 overall type pick and can actually develop a pick if he’s not completely ready. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 1/14/2023 at 9:27 PM, SoJetsy said:

Well Kyle Shanahan ain’t walking through the door.

I’m old enough to remember when those of us out here who wanted Mike Shanahan in as the President of Operations so he could bring in his system were laughed at cause the “game” had passed them by and that he was an incompetent HC anyway despite the SB wins.   

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

But if the rumors are true and MLF instructed ZW to bail after two reads , that seriously handcuffs the offense and plays into DC's hands . Do you think Beli and NE would pick up on those tendencies - I do. At that point a QB is ad-libbing and all fundamentals go out the window. 

How they got to that point is the real issue, if it was MLF's refusal to adapt his system or even give any criticisms ( good or bad) then that's a major derelict of duty. ZW may never live up to his pre draft hype , but I feel the Jets FO would be foolish to bail on him especially given his contract status. 

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Still think he was failed massively from a coaching perspective. I was reading what Pep Hamilton did for Herbert and it’s just mind blowing what a real QB coach should be doing. 

Not arguing for him anymore but so much more could have been done. Is what it is now, he sucks  

Would be nice if this organization didn’t have to hit the unicorn pick of a Luck/Burrow #1 overall type pick and can actually develop a pick if he’s not completely ready. 

Why is it the Jets as a FRANCHISE don’t get it!

This is what is stunning to me constant mishandling of the QB position by the Jets isn’t an accident at this point but utter incompetence…

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, DireJet said:

It’s more and more clear the Jets had zero plan when firing MLF. This is peak Jets. 

Unless the plan is to interview many candidates before making a decision. So far that seems to be the plan of the other teams looking for an OC. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

This is what is stunning to me constant mishandling of the QB position by the Jets isn’t an accident at this point but utter incompetence…

Unfortunately, I think it's true of many franchises it's just that we are so focused on the Jets we view other teams with a different lens. 

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Yup.  And even more stunning is that it has been the utter incompetence of 4 regimes.  No matter who we have as GM/HC/OC/QBC it still plays out the same way.  Zach after two years may be the worst of the bunch.  But how do you fail with 4 straight highly drafted rookie QBs.  (6 if you want to include Hack and Kellen Clemens).

Just get a competent vet QB and we will be so much better off than we have been for a decade.  I am assuming Jackson is out, would love to get Carr, but there are probably a dozen guys out there who are likley to give us better play than we have gotten these past 2 seasons.  The good news here is that the bar is so low, we almost can't help but to improve the position.  But, they are the Jets, so nothing is guaranteed.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2