Jets OC interviews (Merged OC Candidates Thread)

Larz

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

For the love of God, having a strong arm and a quick release do not make you a fantastic prospect when:

1. You are arguably the least accurate QB in the league; and

2. You can't manage the pocket well because your flee backwards at a miniscule sign of pressure. 

You know who else probably still has a cannon arm and can probably outrun Zach? Colin Kaepernick. Is he also a "fantastic prospect"?

better than anything in the Jets QB room at the moment, actually

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

Yup.  And even more stunning is that it has been the utter incompetence of 4 regimes.  No matter who we have as GM/HC/OC/QBC it still plays out the same way.  Zach after two years may be the worst of the bunch.  But how do you fail with 4 straight highly drafted rookie QBs.  (6 if you want to include Hack and Kellen Clemens).

Just get a competent vet QB and we will be so much better off than we have been for a decade.  I am assuming Jackson is out, would love to get Carr, but there are probably a dozen guys out there who are likley to give us better play than we have gotten these past 2 seasons.  The good news here is that the bar is so low, we almost can't help but to improve the position.  But, they are the Jets, so nothing is guaranteed.

Because we always hire the “hot” DC and not an offensive guy. Gotta change if we end up moving on from Saleh.

Tho if we moved on from Saleh this year I’m fully convinced we would have gone all in on a guy like Hackett. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I am not saying that people should love Zach or that we should go into next season with him as the presumptive starter but I do think people need to be reasonable and realize he is still a fantastic prospect and is much more than just a strong arm and that maybe this is more a coaching issue than player issue. Lawrence was horrible until he got some good coaching as well.

I think even if this was true, it’s probably not going to happen here with the Jets. It sounds like Zach has burned a bunch of bridges and the players on the team don’t have faith in him for a number of reasons. This happens with young coaches a lot—they try (and fail) to learn on the job and they lose the confidence of the team in the process. QB, like coach, is a leadership position. He probably needs to get to a new place if he’s to save his career.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think even if this was true, it’s probably not going to happen here, with the Jets. It sounds like Zach has burned a bunch of bridges and the players on the team don’t have faith in him for a number of reasons. This happens with young coaches a lot—they try (and fail) to learn on the job, and they lose the confidence of the team in the process. QB, like coach, is a leadership position. He probably needs to get to a new place if he’s to save his career.

Jets should try hard to trade him 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Jets should try hard to trade him 

The Jets are SERIOUSLY against the cap. And we are not a team with a lot of bloated veteran contracts we can just kick a couple years down the road. Signing the high priced vet everyone seems to want (I don't) and trading Zach would mean a lot of significant cuts, makes it difficult to sign Huff and extend Q and limits what we can do in FA. I personally do not see it as a viable route.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

The Jets are SERIOUSLY against the cap. And we are not a team with a lot of bloated veteran contracts we can just kick a couple years down the road. Signing the high priced vet everyone seems to want (I don't) and trading Zach would mean a lot of significant cuts, makes it difficult to sign Huff and extend Q and limits what we can do in FA. I personally do not see it as a viable route.

Cap is easy to manipulate 

stop. We’re not the titans that are -24 mil in cap. We will be fine. 

• Upvote 1

@johnnysd Maybe, maybe not. I never pretend to understand what is possible under the salary cap. 

I just think it’s gone so badly for Zach here that it would be best for all involved if he got a fresh start somewhere else. It’s very hard to imagine him putting all of this behind him and figuring out how to be an NFL QB as a Jet. basically what Shane said. 

I could see him becoming a backup somewhere, eventually getting another chance to start, and putting it all together down the road with another franchise - similar to Geno

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DireJet said:

It’s more and more clear the Jets had zero plan when firing MLF. This is peak Jets. 

half the league has an open coordinator or HC position.

the jets are in the process of interviewing candidates, some (many) of which are on playoff teams which limits coaches' ability in interview.

"peak jets" is fans thinking that the should just name a replacement without interviewing good candidates on playoff teams. 

• Upvote 3

Not sure where this narrative has come from but the Jets are in a great cap situation. Kind of came out of nowhere as the sky is falling season began.

If I’m not mistaken, we are over $100mil in cap space for next season. The cap is so easy to manipulate nowadays and the Jets will have no problems signing or trading for anybody they want

6 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Not sure where this narrative has come from but the Jets are in a great cap situation. Kind of came out of nowhere as the sky is falling season began.

If I’m not mistaken, we are over $100mil in cap space for next season. The cap is so easy to manipulate nowadays and the Jets will have no problems signing or trading for anybody they want

It’s actually really bad. They have to cut players from super expensive positions like WR2, starting EDGE to get room but Mims and JJ aren’t really at the point that you hand them the job so they will have to spend to replace them 

14 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

half the league has an open coordinator or HC position.

the jets are in the process of interviewing candidates, some (many) of which are on playoff teams which limits coaches' ability in interview.

"peak jets" is fans thinking that the should just name a replacement without interviewing good candidates on playoff teams. 

Peak Jets is keeping the architect of a 20-46 team over the last 4 years around. Oh, wait! 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Unless the plan is to interview many candidates before making a decision. So far that seems to be the plan of the other teams looking for an OC. 

Usually you don’t fire someone unless you have a plan of attack on how to fix the problem. Jets just tossing darts? Yes. Yes they are. Why anyone would have confidence that the Jets know what they’re doing is beyond me. Until proven otherwise, this is a clown car organization known for doing the WRONG thing at every turn. Please prove me wrong. I’m begging you, JETS!

• More Ugh 1

53 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think even if this was true, it’s probably not going to happen here, with the Jets. It sounds like Zach has burned a bunch of bridges and the players on the team don’t have faith in him for a number of reasons. This happens with young coaches a lot—they try (and fail) to learn on the job, and they lose the confidence of the team in the process. QB, like coach, is a leadership position. He probably needs to get to a new place if he’s to save his career.

Unless some team dumb enough would trade for Zach, he’s here next year. 
With that possibility, Anything is possible. just look at Daniel Jones. It took him 4 years.

34 minutes ago, DireJet said:

Usually you don’t fire someone unless you have a plan of attack on how to fix the problem. Jets just tossing darts? Yes. Yes they are. Why anyone would have confidence that the Jets know what they’re doing is beyond me. Until proven otherwise, this is a clown car organization known for doing the WRONG thing at every turn. Please prove me wrong. I’m begging you, JETS!

So “casting a wide net” isn’t a plan of attack? 

Is a plan of attack going after 1 or 2 candidates and then being turned down by them or they decide to go elsewhere? 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, C Mart said:

So “casting a wide net” isn’t a plan of attack? 

Is a plan of attack going after 1 or 2 candidates and then being turned down by them or they decide to go elsewhere? 

Yes, bc that rejection gives some fans validation in calling their fav team a clown car organization.  And then they can complain that our search wasn’t thorough enough.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Larz said:

It’s actually really bad. They have to cut players from super expensive positions like WR2, starting EDGE to get room but Mims and JJ aren’t really at the point that you hand them the job so they will have to spend to replace them 

Its not really bad when you have $100 million in cap space for 2024.  Also, why isnt JJ ready for a starting job? Are there a lot of DEs drafted in the first round who have good first years and remain in a reserve role their second season?  

4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Fake news.  Cut Davis, Lawson and restructure a couple guys we are probably between $30-40 mil under after they increase the cap which they will

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, choon328 said:

He was a scapegoat for the FO for picking Wilson and missing very badly. There's a reason why guys with "connections" on this board are running around here playing PR for the front office to the point that they're blaming the actual selection of Zach Wilson on MLF.

Yeah it’s quite pathetic.  Zach went from being better than Trevor Lawrence to the 3rd or 4th best qb on our own roster in less than 2 years.  They have to blame someone so blame the poor OC

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think you’re drastically overstating the losses of Lawson and Davis. 

The production yes but how much will it cost to replace the position?  I’m not rolling with Moore or Mims as my #2 WR, and JJ has a lot of potential but I think you have to bring in a veteran there as well. That’s why they have such huge deals, the market for WR and EDGE is bonkers. It could be 30 million easy 

19 minutes ago, Larz said:

The production yes but how much will it cost to replace the position?  I’m not rolling with Moore or Mims as my #2 WR, and JJ has a lot of potential but I think you have to bring in a veteran there as well. That’s why they have such huge deals, the market for WR and EDGE is bonkers. It could be 30 million easy 

I think it’s likely Johnson is as good or better than Lawson in 2023 either way.

Davis is solid but drops a lot of balls and hasn’t been healthy. I think he’s fairly easily replaced.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Larz said:

Draft Johnston or Addison 

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think it’s likely Johnson is as good or better than Lawson in 2023 either way.

Davis is solid but drops a lot of balls and hasn’t been healthy. I think he’s fairly easily replaced.

Again.  Take the names out of it. 

That’s 

Not

The

Point

shopping for ANY WR and edge is very expensive.  

That’s the point.

Wherever cap space relief they get will be eaten up by the replacement, ergo, therefore, there will not be a lot of money to spend on a top QB without clearly weakening the roster.
This is not the phase of the rebuild where you rebuild the QB room. 
dumping contracts like Lawson and Davis are what the new GM looking to clear space and, conveniently, lose games to get a high enough pick to draft a rookie does. 

that’s the point.  

• Post of the Week 1

19 minutes ago, Larz said:

That’s 

Not

The

Point

That’s the point.

Wherever cap space relief they get will be eaten up by the replacement, ergo, therefore, there will not be a lot of money to spend on a top QB without clearly weakening the roster.
dumping contracts like Lawson and Davis are what the new GM looking to clear space and, conveniently, lose games to get a high enough pick to draft a rookie does. 

that’s the point.  

The Zach Wilson pick ****ed this franchise worse than trading up for Darnold. Much worse. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, shuler82 said:

The Zach Wilson pick ****ed this franchise worse than trading up for Darnold. Much worse. 

Just think if Wilson worked out. Not even elite. Just “on track” and above average. 

Top defense with young roster. Your most recent draft is a home run. We would be flying high right now with a young qb in year 2. And at this point could just load up or trade away for a top player if needed to put things over the top. 

Instead they’re now scrambling for a QB and potentially throwing away picks. 

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Tomato...tomato

This off season we finally get to see what JD really made of

He may fail miserably or succeed ...who knows

He has had it pretty easy since he got here with low expectations, can blame Gase in beginning, then Covid, then blame the youth, then blame coaching in general throughout

when he got here he traded every veteran there was to collect a boatload of picks (yes Jamal trade was very good and very bad for Seattle) some good trade some bad trades and some eh but the one good one was really good and he lucked out there.

These last 2 off seasons peaked with all those picks he has had really good high picks (not just from trades but also having a sh*tty team) where you got to be a complete ass to **** that up (oops Zach) but for most part made some good picks cause who wouldn't with all those picks and 2022 draft was really good not just for the Jets seems lots of teams hit in that draft.

Any how the heat is on, he no longer has the cap space to freely spend, has a lot of expiring or bloated contracts, he only has average draft picks, and he has a holes all over the roster including QB..not too mention they need to replace the offensive staff.

If he doesn't get this right im going to ******* twist him like a pretzel.

1 hour ago, Larz said:

That’s 

Not

The

Point

That’s the point.

that’s the point.  

I’m not sure I really agree. Just don’t shop at the top of the market, and use draft picks.