Jets OC interviews (Merged OC Candidates Thread)

Larz

23 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Question, based on what you’ve heard are the jets still convinced ZW can be salvaged, or are they simply planning to bring in a vet qb and have wilson essentially red shirted next season while they make a playoff push, and then they can just get rid of him?

It sounds fluid. OC and Zach's own progress will dictate next steps, but the ideal scenario would be for him to take the "Steve Young route" without having to change teams. For them, they're basically challenging the narrative that a total "change of scenery" is required for him to realize his potential, and that he can still become a good QB if he's awarded the time to develop within their program. Having said that, they're not going to "red-shirt" him to spite themselves... if they signed Jimmy, I think it would be more of a legitimate competition. If Zach flipped a switch and showed improved confidence, footwork, and consistent ball placement while clearly outperforming Jimmy all offseason, they would have a hard time justifying starting Jimmy. Jimmy has proven that he's a great teammate and will be ready whenever his number is called upon, which would be a good situation to have in your back pocket if Zach were to have a great camp but start to derail midseason. If they make a big commitment for Rodgers, naturally it wouldn't be a true competition and it would be more of a 1-2 year backup/mentorship program which would allow the Jets to monitor his progress behind the scenes and decide whether they would want to move forward with him post-Rodgers or get rid of him and start with someone new. 

I haven't heard this from anyone, but knowing what I know about JD, I think he would relish the opportunity to acquire Rodgers and let Zach continue to develop behind him. You figure it would be a 1-2 year stint for Rodgers, and if Zach showed improvement behind the scenes you can bring him back for his 5th year and draft a guy along the way to compete with him as a contingency plan (see Rodgers-Brohm in 2008). More likely I expect Jimmy is signed, is declared the "starter", but they will leave the door cracked open just enough for Zach to steal it from him if he has a stellar offseason. If he shows little improvement, they'll probably just reevaluate his future after the season/move on. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, NYDreamer said:

Greg Olsen is interviewing with the Chargers today for their OC opening.  Surprised he has not been brought in for an interview here.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/23/chargers-to-interview-greg-olson-for-offensive-coordinator/

Many in the industry believe he wants to stay on the west coast. Chargers would be an ideal landing spot for him as an OC or even their QB coach. Some speculation he could get elevated with the Rams as well 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Cbucco19 said:

@football guy u mentioned maybe Dan pitcher the other day .. any updates if they are going to talk to him. He is from NY also 

Most of the requests the Jets put in happened a while ago, the media is just late on reporting it. I was told he's a candidate, but unlike HC interviews the coordinator ones tend to be pushed off until elimination. Pitcher is also the leading in-house candidate to be OC if and when Brian Callahan leaves, so like Joe Brady he may determine that he's not interested in the job at this time. We'll see 

27 minutes ago, football guy said:

It sounds fluid. OC and Zach's own progress will dictate next steps, but the ideal scenario would be for him to take the "Steve Young route" without having to change teams. For them, they're basically challenging the narrative that a total "change of scenery" is required for him to realize his potential, and that he can still become a good QB if he's awarded the time to develop within their program. Having said that, they're not going to "red-shirt" him to spite themselves... if they signed Jimmy, I think it would be more of a legitimate competition. If Zach flipped a switch and showed improved confidence, footwork, and consistent ball placement while clearly outperforming Jimmy all offseason, they would have a hard time justifying starting Jimmy. Jimmy has proven that he's a great teammate and will be ready whenever his number is called upon, which would be a good situation to have in your back pocket if Zach were to have a great camp but start to derail midseason. If they make a big commitment for Rodgers, naturally it wouldn't be a true competition and it would be more of a 1-2 year backup/mentorship program which would allow the Jets to monitor his progress behind the scenes and decide whether they would want to move forward with him post-Rodgers or get rid of him and start with someone new. 

I haven't heard this from anyone, but knowing what I know about JD, I think he would relish the opportunity to acquire Rodgers and let Zach continue to develop behind him. You figure it would be a 1-2 year stint for Rodgers, and if Zach showed improvement behind the scenes you can bring him back for his 5th year and draft a guy along the way to compete with him as a contingency plan (see Rodgers-Brohm in 2008). More likely I expect Jimmy is signed, is declared the "starter", but they will leave the door cracked open just enough for Zach to steal it from him if he has a stellar offseason. If he shows little improvement, they'll probably just reevaluate his future after the season/move on. 

So you would be in favor of exercising a 5th year option on Zach if he sits behind Rodgers the next 2 years? It would be the height of arrogance for Douglas to do that because Zach was looking good in practice. 

I much prefer the Rodgers scenario... Let the fire from last year's turd storm die down over the next two seasons .. make an evaluation behind the scenes.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, football guy said:

If they bring A-Rod in the rest would be static. We would be a legit contender. Like for real! 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, maury77 said:

So you would be in favor of exercising a 5th year option on Zach if he sits behind Rodgers the next 2 years? It would be the height of arrogance for Douglas to do that because Zach was looking good in practice. 

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2022/12/07/packers-have-seen-enough-of-jordan-love-to-make-decision-on-5th-year-option/

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Vomit Barf GIF

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Sad Arrested Development GIF

15 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Hackett better be just a name the Jets are throwing out there so that they don't look desperate for the good ones they actually want. 

I'm definitely with you in that I don't want Hackett. However, it could be to appeal to Aaron Rodgers? Maybe? Hopefully? Grasping at straws?

Either way, if we're stuck in a situation where the FO still believes in Zach and wants to bring in a stopgap in the hopes that they leave the door open for Zach to take over, we're ****ed no matter who the OC is. Zach will kill any coach that comes here. That's what bad QBs do. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

Just now, Sarge4Tide said:

Let's just all agree, whoever is hired as Offensive Coordinator - the 14 people who hate the idea the most will spend the next year spamming this board with every possible negative article, tweet, and obscure statistic possible....

"Did you know the Jets average 1.34 yards LESS per play on 2nd down and 15+ in the 3rd quarter on the road than we did last year under Lafleur? :puke::puke::puke:"

I mean I care more about who the QB is then whatever OC they bring in. Won't matter if we get Andy Reid Jr, if we're hoping Andy Dalton carries us.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I'm definitely with you in that I don't want Hackett. However, it could be to appeal to Aaron Rodgers? Maybe? Hopefully? Grasping at straws?

Either way, if we're stuck in a situation where the FO still believes in Zach and wants to bring in a stopgap in the hopes that they leave the door open for Zach to take over, we're ****ed no matter who the OC is. Zach will kill any coach that comes here. That's what bad QBs do. 

So, the thing Douglas was always going to do was try to save the Zach pick by bringing in a fugazi veteran fill-in that would placate Saleh and buy him some time until Wilson magically became good. Looks to be well on pace for that

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

So, the thing Douglas was always going to do was try to save the Zach pick by bringing in a fugazi veteran fill-in that would placate Saleh and buy him some time until Wilson magically became good. Looks to be well on pace for that

If Douglas really wanted to come out ahead in all of this, he wouldn't have picked a sh*tty QB #2 overall that had nothing going for him other than PR spin and a singular throw at the Pro Day. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 2

Why does signing Hackett who completely failed to develop an offense with Denver seem like the Jetsiest thing ever. Gase leaves basically in disgrace from Miami, we sign him as the "future" of football. Kotite implodes and is considered a horrible coach and we trip over ourselves to hire him. If we hire Hackett something in the entire process and philosophy of hiring coaches is just so "off" it's indescribable.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Doesn't the success of Purdy call into doubt the effectiveness of Jimmy G? And god knows the guy is not durable. 

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Wait .. you can actually train, mentor and improve a drafted QB ... Before he shoulders the team ??? A First Round pick QB ???

B L A S P H E M Y

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

lol..

lets see how Love does when he's the starter. I mean we have a hall of fame QB in Mike White ... 

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Why does signing Hackett who completely failed to develop an offense with Denver seem like the Jetsiest thing ever. Gase leaves basically in disgrace from Miami, we sign him as the "future" of football. Kotite implodes and is considered a horrible coach and we trip over ourselves to hire him. If we hire Hackett something in the entire process and philosophy of hiring coaches is just so "off" it's indescribable.

Gonna be Hackett calling impossibly complicated plays that take forever to get into the QB's headset, along with the insane pretense somebody can make Zach Wilson into a passable starter. 

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=AwrFFjUi7M5jszoFaYeJzbkF?p=gif+laughing&fr=mcafee&fr2=p%3As%2Cv%3Ai%2Cm%3Apivot#id=26&vid=e6f2a7ce0d282e678ffe5991cab2077b&action=view

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

39 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Doesn't the success of Purdy call into doubt the effectiveness of Jimmy G? And god knows the guy is not durable. 

I think Purdy has been more effective than Jimmy because of what he's able to do after the initial 2-3 seconds, but I don't think that is an indictment on Jimmy's ability to be an effective game manager. He's proven to be that in NE and in SF over a duration of years when he's on the field. Yes the injury concerns are real, but again, if the Jets believe they can get Zach Wilson and Mike White back on track, hedging with Jimmy (who will cost no draft picks and less many than some of the alternatives) is lucrative in the eyes of the team. There's also the trust factor, and Saleh trusts Jimmy more than a lot of the options out there. I wouldn't be jumping for joy but think you can do a lot worse. 

It's going to be fascinating to follow this whole saga. I'm trying to avoid falling for the "Rodgers-to-NY" hype but I do think that's a legitimate possibility. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Gonna be Hackett calling impossibly complicated plays that take forever to get into the QB's headset, along with the insane pretense somebody can make Zach Wilson into a passable starter. 

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=AwrFFjUi7M5jszoFaYeJzbkF?p=gif+laughing&fr=mcafee&fr2=p%3As%2Cv%3Ai%2Cm%3Apivot#id=26&vid=e6f2a7ce0d282e678ffe5991cab2077b&action=view

Where do I sign up??

7 minutes ago, football guy said:

I think Purdy has been more effective than Jimmy because of what he's able to do after the initial 2-3 seconds, but I don't think that is an indictment on Jimmy's ability to be an effective game manager. He's proven to be that in NE and in SF over a duration of years when he's on the field. Yes the injury concerns are real, but again, if the Jets believe they can get Zach Wilson and Mike White back on track, hedging with Jimmy (who will cost no draft picks and less many than some of the alternatives) is lucrative in the eyes of the team. There's also the trust factor, and Saleh trusts Jimmy more than a lot of the options out there. I wouldn't be jumping for joy but think you can do a lot worse. 

It's going to be fascinating to follow this whole saga. I'm trying to avoid falling for the "Rodgers-to-NY" hype but I do think that's a legitimate possibility. 

Have you heard any names of QB’s in this draft that they may like? Maybe like day 2-3 types?

2 hours ago, football guy said:

Many in the industry believe he wants to stay on the west coast. Chargers would be an ideal landing spot for him as an OC or even their QB coach. Some speculation he could get elevated with the Rams as well 

can’t blame him

it’s all personal preference I guess, but I feel the same way 

Would take a lot to get me excited (or motivated at all) about moving back East

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, football guy said:

Garoppolo is a great teammate?  Didn't the Patriots turn on him because he was a puss that wouldn't play dinged and Brissett had to play ith torn ligaments? 

48 minutes ago, football guy said:

I personally think if they get jimmy g everyone will be fired .. 49ers are way more talented and he could barely stay healthy and take them far . Saleh will be back on the niners as dc in 2024

Purdy is effective because the niners turnover ratio as been about 20-2 in the games he has played.  He has played well but has also been very lucky, the last two weeks he should have had about 3-4 picks.  Jimmy G and Purdy are moderate upgrades at best over Mike White.

As for the Jets:  "Gee how can we pay an aging almost past it malcontent QB 60 million dollars and give up high picks????????   I know we will get the oc he likes who actually stinks in hackett!   Booo ya!!!!