Jets OC interviews (Merged OC Candidates Thread)

Larz

11 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Certainly feels like it’s going to be Hackett to me and I don’t mind. My name is on it.

As stated in one of these threads, Denver thought they were getting Rogers last year before Wilson and by bringing in Hacket.  Those of us that remember Paul Hacket as OC have a word associated with it (Disaster)  That same word is being used 20 years later with Hacket in Denver.

"Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me"

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

1 hour ago, NYDreamer said:

As stated in one of these threads, Denver thought they were getting Rogers last year before Wilson and by bringing in Hacket.  Those of us that remember Paul Hacket as OC have a word associated with it (Disaster)  That same word is being used 20 years later with Hacket in Denver.

"Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me"

Hopefully the Hackett stuff is a signal Woody grew a brain and is going after Rodgers.  The guy is completely inept and would last 1 season here especially if the task is fixing Leaf 2.0

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

The early word is that the #Panthers will focus on an experienced HC coach if possible and Frank Reich and Steve Wilks both fit the bill. Kellen Moore also impressed, as well.

Albert Breer @AlbertBreer

The Panthers are conducting a second interview with former Colts coach Frank Reich today in Charlotte, per source. He's gained steam as a candidate, with David Tepper seemingly pivoting to more experienced coaches through the process. Reich played for the Panthers in 1995.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Hackett Senior Offensive Assistant

Brian Johnson OC 

Doug Marrone OL / Run Game Coordinator 

???? That could be a steal

Yeah it would be but don't know that it would play out that way. If Sean Payton gets a job he's going to try to steal Marrone, so he may be holding out for that instead. It will be interesting to see what happens with Johnson. A lot of people like him and I think he'd be an excellent fit for what we're looking for, but have to wonder if he would be willing to sign on before knowing what happens with their own staff. As far as Hackett, I have no idea whether he would coach as a senior offensive assistant or not. The feeling was that he would if no coordinator job, but you would expect it would be with some other familiar faces. 

As far as current staff: I don't know that Calabrese will remain the QB coach. There was some talk of him shifting to another role, possibly WRs. 

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

The early word is that the #Panthers will focus on an experienced HC coach if possible and Frank Reich and Steve Wilks both fit the bill. Kellen Moore also impressed, as well.

The Panthers are conducting a second interview with former Colts coach Frank Reich today in Charlotte, per source. He's gained steam as a candidate, with David Tepper seemingly pivoting to more experienced coaches through the process. Reich played for the Panthers in 1995.

Panthers are gonna end up with Reich and Sam, and I’m gonna be sad.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

Will be interesting to see how Darnold performs. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Also a damn good chance he brings Marrone with him to fill the OL coach vacancy as well as take on some kind of running game coordinator/senior offensive consultant role.

And Marrone may only be second to Callahan as the best OL coach in the business today.

If Marrone is involved with the o-line, then I'm all in favor of bringing in Hackett 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, C Mart said:

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

Reich could impact our search. If Reich takes the Panther's job, I would think he's going to want Marcus Brady or Kevin Patullo to join him as his OC. Could also be a spot for Brian Johnson. Maybe he'd go Mike Groh, Mike McCoy, or someone else further off the radar for OC simply to get his staff filled fast, but don't see why he would rush... those guys are loyal to him. Still, there's so many places with openings that it may be a situation that he's competing for several guys. Also have to wonder if Steichen gets a job too. 

These coaching openings are dragging out longer than usual, but with the Senior Bowl next week I would think some teams start to finalize their hires over the next week

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, football guy said:

Reich could impact our search. If Reich takes the Panther's job, I would think he's going to want Marcus Brady or Kevin Patullo to join him as his OC. Could also be a spot for Brian Johnson. Maybe he'd go Mike Groh, Mike McCoy, or someone else further off the radar for OC simply to get his staff filled fast, but don't see why he would rush... those guys are loyal to him. Still, there's so many places with openings that it may be a situation that he's competing for several guys. Also have to wonder if Steichen gets a job too. 

These coaching openings are dragging out longer than usual, but with the Senior Bowl next week I would think some teams start to finalize their hires over the next week

image.gif.35fc1711723b5858c0dffef9fc8e03fb.gif

Aaron Rodgers can work with anybody, so long as whoever it is isn’t an idiot 

And he’s worked with Hackett, so maybe an idiot would suffice

This idea that Hackett is a “must get” in order to secure Rodgers is absurd

And what happens if you sign Hackett but don’t end up getting Rodgers?  Ask the Broncos how that worked out.

You’d be stuck with an awful OC for at least 1 year.

For once, just hire the smartest, best guy for the job…

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, football guy said:

Yeah it would be but don't know that it would play out that way. If Sean Payton gets a job he's going to try to steal Marrone, so he may be holding out for that instead. It will be interesting to see what happens with Johnson. A lot of people like him and I think he'd be an excellent fit for what we're looking for, but have to wonder if he would be willing to sign on before knowing what happens with their own staff. As far as Hackett, I have no idea whether he would coach as a senior offensive assistant or not. The feeling was that he would if no coordinator job, but you would expect it would be with some other familiar faces. 

As far as current staff: I don't know that Calabrese will remain the QB coach. There was some talk of him shifting to another role, possibly WRs. 

He should be running valet. Good lord.

I'm just guessing, but starting to feel like these will end up being the finalists for each job

• ARI: Flores or Quinn 
  • CAR: Reich or Wilks
  • DEN: Quinn or Ryans 
  • HOU: Ryans or Gannon
  • IND: Saturday or Morris

Payton goes back to FOX and will keep a close eye on the Chargers, Cowboys, Dolphins among others next cycle. 

I know the vast majority don’t want to go this route at qb, however if Johnson is the guy we bring in from Eagles as OC, what are the chances he and Minshew would be a package deal ?

Again, I know Minshew is lower on the qb wish list for many, but Johnson seems high on many of your lists for OC.    So would that pairing change your thoughts on either of the 2 ?

Minshew isn’t my top choice but I think he’s a severely underrated player.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, football guy said:

Its too much of a coincidence that none of these HC and OC jobs are being filled when so many candidates have ties to the eagles offensive staff, coupled with Demeco Ryans still coaching.

As for Hackett, his minimum number of salary is $80K per week for the next 4 years. Anything he makes as a staff assistant or coordinator will come out of that with the broncos making up the difference until he hits the $80K number.  Given that very odd situation, I think it makes him more likely to be ok with a Senior Assistant title and salary, then someone else would.  I also would think that someone like Brian Johnson would welcome additional input from someone like Hackett instead of being threatened by him.  Hopefully the OC is smart enough to take the help, learn more from someone experienced and grow into their role

5 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

And what happens if you sign Hackett but don’t end up getting Rodgers?  Ask the Broncos how that worked out.

I don't think Hackett is a must get, but the Jets were favorable to the idea of adding him as a senior-level person on the staff regardless of the Aaron Rodgers situation, so the interest is absolutely there. 

Hackett is in a position to be picky because he wants to coach but doesn't have to for salary reasons... the expectation is he'll either join the Jets or the Packers in some capacity.

20 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

But the Broncos hired Hackett to be the HC. He was a disaster there, but there is a long list of good to great coordinators who were terrible head coaches. 

Hackett has had success in the league as an OC. 

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

But the Broncos hired Hackett to be the HC. He was a disaster there, but there is a long list of good to great coordinators who were terrible head coaches. 

Hackett has had success in the league as an OC. 

Perhaps.  But I wouldn't feel good about this at all.

My understanding is he didn't call plays at all in Green Bay.

I guess he did in Jacksonville years ago.  So he's not totally inexperienced in that regard.

But his most recent body of work in Denver also included calling plays for Russ at the beginning of the season, and it was an abject failure.

3 hours ago, football guy said:

Plus after Sunday the coaches from the 4 teams can interview again.  I believe they are prohibited, in any form, from doing so this week

• Upvote 1

On 1/19/2023 at 3:01 PM, football guy said:

If I'm the Jets, I'm paying Greg Roman big money to come here as an Senior Offensive Assistant/Run Game Coordinator. Ideal marriage is pairing someone who is creative and well coached with QBs (Brian Johnson) and a guy like Roman to design and implement your run game/RPO packages. 

I'm not a fan of Roman as primary playcaller/OC but this would be a dream pairing for offense

5 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Frank Reich wants to be a head coach. Darell Bevell is staying in Miami. 

The Eagles guys are in high demand, plus their season isn't over, so we have to wait and see there.

I think those are the practical assumptions from this?

Also some staff from HCs who've been fired can be released from their contracts once a new HC is hired and decides to bring in his own guys

Ex: Broncos Staff, Cardinals Staff, etc 

• Upvote 1

A big piece of new hit that Shane Steichen had a poor interview with the Panthers and is likely out of consideration for their HC job.  If he doesnt get a HC opportunity, that means that there isnt much room for Patullo and more importantly Brian Johnson dont have anywhere to move up in Phila which increases the odds of them going outside phila to find an OC job.