Bla Bla Bla's Mock Offseason

bla bla bla

Here is my Mock Offseason 1.0, do this every year. I'll make new edits as the scenarios change throughout the offseason. The video explains it with more detail and with visuals but for those who don't want to watch:

Offseason Goals/Expectations

- Offensive Coaches to replace MiLF+ 

- Get a stable QB

- Fix OL

- Extend Quinnen

- "Consistency" was the word used by Douglas

Cap Space

Spotrac - $8m

OTC - $3.3m <- we'll use this figure to start

Coaching Changes

Senior Offensive Assiatant - Greg Olson

Offensive Coordinator - Darrell Bevell

- Let's be honest, we aren't getting Frank Reich for OC, the Jets are going to get someone who knows Saleh. Bevell and Saleh overlapped in Seattle. The Jets need to make sure they are not getting a first time signal caller. Bevell and Olson each have multiple stops as OC. We were told we want our OC to focus on OL, Bevell was OC with Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch - He's going to love Breece Hall. Has also worked with similar style QBs as Zach.

Cuts

- Jordan Whitehead ($7.25m)

- Corey Davis ($10.5m)

- Braxton Berrios ($5m)

- Carl Lawson ($15m)

There will be more lower end cuts but without going too nuts those are the big 4 I expect to move on from.

Restructures/Tags

- Bryce Huff - 1st Round Tender ($6m)

- CJ Mosley - restructure to 2 years ~$10m per year. Mosley has no more guaranteed money. I'd approach him and have him retire a Jet with the goal to retain our LB core for a Playoff run. 

- Quinnen Williams - the Jets have 5th year option + 2 Tags at their disposal for a total of about $51m over 3 years. That will be the baseline. Ultimately think it's 4 years 22m per year.

Retaining our own Free Agents

Greg Zuerlein - 1 year $2m

Quincy Williams - 2 years $8m

Kwon Alexander - 1 year $4m

Connor McGovern - 2 years $25m - I don't want to pay McGovern this much but that was his listed Marjet Value by Spotrac. He's very likely the best Center in FA and has been available for us.

Free Agents (contract specifics in video)

Mike McGlinchey - RT - 49ers (4 years $44m)

- Lots of really good OTs available this offseason. Spotract has McGlincheys Market Value at around $11m per year. I'm hoping the firing of Benton/MLF is not enough to prevent this signing.

Derek Carr - QB - Raiders (3 years $100m)

- Carr opts out of Vegas and blocks a trade. This move will happen in February, 3 days after SB. Define consistency, Carr has played in 142 of 144 games, and his average with Olson is 4k yards, 23 TD, 10 INT - I'll take that stat line considering this is by far the most talented team he'll have played with.

Updated Cap - $10m to sign draft class + inseason moves

NFL Draft focus more on position than player as Big Boards seem to be all over the place this early on.

1.13 - Broderick Jones - LT - Georgia

- Top 3 OT, can't rely on Becton.

2.43 - Jordan Battle - SS - Alabama

- We cut Whitehead, described as a "High Effort Leader"

3.74 - Ricky Stromberg - C/G - Arkansas

- Need a long term answer at C that can play G until we cut McGovern. Tomlinson has been horrible and this would at least give us an option.

4.109 - DeMarvion Overshown - LB - Texas

- Need to find youth at LB with CJ and Kwon getting up in age

5.140 - Akheem Mesidor - DT - Miami

- Really need a run stuffing DT, this isn't quite that. He's closer to a rusher like JFM but he may be gone after this year anyway.

6.171 - Josh Proctor - FS - OSU

- Justin Hardee going into final year of deal. Could be a gunner to replace Jeff Smith. I expect him to back up Battle and Ashtyn Davis for this year.

Lots still has to be clarified for the draft with pro days, combine, and in person visits.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

The OT thing is something that will be debated on the board for a long time and if we are going to go OT in round 1 I dont see how we would also pay McGlinchey?  That would leave the team with Duane Brown (who is un-cuttable), Max Mitchell, Becton, McGlinchey and a rookie?  That is a tremendous amount of draft capital and $$$ to spend on the OT position.

I hope we can find a center better then McGovern, especially at that price.

There is no way I want Quincy Williams on this team. He is an undisciplined player who makes a TON of mistakes.  Personally I want to address LB in the draft and find a fast OLB who can actually play in space.

10 minutes ago, usanyj said:

I like it…. however, my only concern is you’re cutting 2 receivers… probably our number 2 in Davis and our 4 or 5 in berrios, and not replacing them… I think a move needs to be made to bring in a person to pair with Garrett. 

Yea I think we look to give Mims his time to shine this year + some PS and UDFA guys. We have a lot of mouths to feed on offense. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Yea I think we look to give Mims his time to shine this year + some PS and UDFA guys. We have a lot of mouths to feed on offense. 

I just don’t know if JD and Saleh, who have been hesitant with Mims, who has also requested a trade, and as you put it, backs up against the wall, are going in to be willing to roll with a unit that consists of 2 guys who asked out in Moore and Mims.

id think we want to make the offense more desirable for a vet qb. Maybe scarp the tackle, go with that in the draft, and use that cap money to see what the cards want for Hopkins? I don’t know the numbers as well as you do, but I’d be concerned if I was a vet qb with the weapons at wr if you don’t replace Davis and berrios with something.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, BCJet said:

The OT thing is something that will be debated on the board for a long time and if we are going to go OT in round 1 I dont see how we would also pay McGlinchey?  That would leave the team with Duane Brown (who is un-cuttable), Max Mitchell, Becton, McGlinchey and a rookie?  That is a tremendous amount of draft capital and $$$ to spend on the OT position.

I hope we can find a center better then McGovern, especially at that price.

There is no way I want Quincy Williams on this team. He is an undisciplined player who makes a TON of mistakes.  Personally I want to address LB in the draft and find a fast OLB who can actually play in space.

Brown is getting surgery and may retire, Mitchell has blood clots that knocked him out for the year, and I'm not sure we should risk penciling in Becton as a starter at either side. McGlinchey is half the cost of the other 4-5 OTs that will be hitting the market or getting paid. 

I don't love McGovern but I don't know who you'd replace him with that is "consistent" like he has been for us.

For LB, I deff would love 2/3 new but I've decided to punt on the starters for a year to focus on QB and OL.

32 minutes ago, usanyj said:

I like it…. however, my only concern is you’re cutting 2 receivers… probably our number 2 in Davis and our 4 or 5 in berrios, and not replacing them… I think a move needs to be made to bring in a person to pair with Garrett. 

Davis has proved to be a sub par 2 throughout  his tenure mostly through missing large chunks of time, and having some critical drops.  All  while having 534 yards be his high water mark during his time here. I like him it just didn't work out as planned ... restructure and keep if possible but letting him go is probably best for both sides.

Berrios went back to JAG status this past season.

Proper 1 and 2 is Wilson and Moore just need the right OC  and QB to scheme and throw.

12 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

Davis has proved to be a sub par 2 throughout  his tenure mostly through missing large chunks of time, and having some critical drops.  All  while having 534 yards be his high water mark during his time here. I like him it just didn't work out as planned ... restructure and keep if possible but letting him go is probably best for both sides.

Berrios went back to JAG status this past season.

Proper 1 and 2 is Wilson and Moore just need the right OC  and QB to scheme and throw.

I agree, but for arguments sake, you can say the same thing about more and his totals.. can you chalk it up to qb play? Maybe, probably. But do jd and saleh risk that with their jobs on the line? I like Moore but he already asked out once.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, usanyj said:

I agree, but for arguments sake, you can say the same thing about more and his totals.. can you chalk it up to qb play? Maybe, probably. But do jd and saleh risk that with their jobs on the line? I like Moore but he already asked out once.

I think we’re in general agreement ....for me CD is a known quantity as a disappointment from Tennessee to NY he's underachieved his from draft status to this current contract. Moore showed a lot of flash his rookie year and is going into year three with a production chip on his shoulder and a better QB coming in by default and is a much higher upside play than CD, who has proven himself expendable.

I'm not a fan of Moores antics but hes under contract ... so it kind of is what it is.

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Here is my Mock Offseason 1.0, do this every year. I'll make new edits as the scenarios change throughout the offseason. The video explains it with more detail and with visuals but for those who don't want to watch:

Offseason Goals/Expectations

- Offensive Coaches to replace MiLF+ 

- Get a stable QB

- Fix OL

- Extend Quinnen

- "Consistency" was the word used by Douglas

Cap Space

Spotrac - $8m

OTC - $3.3m <- we'll use this figure to start

Coaching Changes

Senior Offensive Assiatant - Greg Olson

Offensive Coordinator - Darrell Bevell

- Let's be honest, we aren't getting Frank Reich for OC, the Jets are going to get someone who knows Saleh. Bevell and Saleh overlapped in Seattle. The Jets need to make sure they are not getting a first time signal caller. Bevell and Olson each have multiple stops as OC. We were told we want our OC to focus on OL, Bevell was OC with Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch - He's going to love Breece Hall. Has also worked with similar style QBs as Zach.

Cuts

- Jordan Whitehead ($7.25m)

- Corey Davis ($10.5m)

- Braxton Berrios ($5m)

- Carl Lawson ($15m)

There will be more lower end cuts but without going too nuts those are the big 4 I expect to move on from.

Restructures/Tags

- Bryce Huff - 1st Round Tender ($6m)

- CJ Mosley - restructure to 2 years ~$10m per year. Mosley has no more guaranteed money. I'd approach him and have him retire a Jet with the goal to retain our LB core for a Playoff run. 

- Quinnen Williams - the Jets have 5th year option + 2 Tags at their disposal for a total of about $51m over 3 years. That will be the baseline. Ultimately think it's 4 years 22m per year.

Retaining our own Free Agents

Greg Zuerlein - 1 year $2m

Quincy Williams - 2 years $8m

Kwon Alexander - 1 year $4m

Connor McGovern - 2 years $25m - I don't want to pay McGovern this much but that was his listed Marjet Value by Spotrac. He's very likely the best Center in FA and has been available for us.

Free Agents (contract specifics in video)

Mike McGlinchey - RT - 49ers (4 years $44m)

- Lots of really good OTs available this offseason. Spotract has McGlincheys Market Value at around $11m per year. I'm hoping the firing of Benton/MLF is not enough to prevent this signing.

Derek Carr - QB - Raiders (3 years $100m)

- Carr opts out of Vegas and blocks a trade. This move will happen in February, 3 days after SB. Define consistency, Carr has played in 142 of 144 games, and his average with Olson is 4k yards, 23 TD, 10 INT - I'll take that stat line considering this is by far the most talented team he'll have played with.

Updated Cap - $10m to sign draft class + inseason moves

NFL Draft focus more on position than player as Big Boards seem to be all over the place this early on.

1.13 - Broderick Jones - LT - Georgia

- Top 3 OT, can't rely on Becton.

2.43 - Jordan Battle - SS - Alabama

- We cut Whitehead, described as a "High Effort Leader"

3.74 - Ricky Stromberg - C/G - Arkansas

- Need a long term answer at C that can play G until we cut McGovern. Tomlinson has been horrible and this would at least give us an option.

4.109 - DeMarvion Overshown - LB - Texas

- Need to find youth at LB with CJ and Kwon getting up in age

5.140 - Akheem Mesidor - DT - Miami

- Really need a run stuffing DT, this isn't quite that. He's closer to a rusher like JFM but he may be gone after this year anyway.

6.171 - Josh Proctor - FS - OSU

- Justin Hardee going into final year of deal. Could be a gunner to replace Jeff Smith. I expect him to back up Battle and Ashtyn Davis for this year.

Lots still has to be clarified for the draft with pro days, combine, and in person visits.

I would love this offseason. I want to be picky and add in that we cut Brandon Mann and add a legit NFL punter. Also, trade for DeAndre Hopkins. 

• Upvote 1

Looks like you have ballpark $80M in acquisitions (including draft class) and $50M in cap space prior to that. Lots of pushing money into future years?

Depth chart would be helpful - this leaves like 2 QB’s and 3 WR’s but lots of tackles for example.

1 hour ago, Lurker89 said:

I think we’re in general agreement ....for me CD is a known quantity as a disappointment from Tennessee to NY he's underachieved his from draft status to this current contract. Moore showed a lot of flash his rookie year and is going into year three with a production chip on his shoulder and a better QB coming in by default and is a much higher upside play than CD, who has proven himself expendable.

I'm not a fan of Moores antics but hes under contract ... so it kind of is what it is.

Right I think we do agree… my main point to Ryan was that instead of spending 44 mil on the lineman, maybe focus that spot in the draft and throw a mid round pick at the cards for Hopkins. I just don’t know the numbers like he does. I’d think a top 3 of Wilson, Hopkins, Moore, with Breece back would be very enticing for a vet qb

• Upvote 2

I like what this offseason does with OL.  The Jets situation at OT is terrible right now.  No way can they count on Becton or Mitchell for anything. Brown is very questionable, too.

When training camp starts, the depth chart should see Becton at OT4 and Mitchell at OT5.  So, who are the two starters and the swing tackle?

I hope JD learned his lesson from last offseason about "penciling in" injured guys at OT.

• Sympathy 1

I saw you spot while surfing youtube on my xbox last night.  -5 points for not wearing your aviators hat and glasses.

I like most of what you did but not all of it.

Carr is my first choice for Qb solution so I like that.

I liked the oline strategy, always over build the oline.

I liked your draft overall.

I would be inclined not to move on from whitehead just yet, he was a bit disappoint but not totally terrible.

No issue with your WR moves, Davis can probably be replaced by a very cheap vet or even by a developmental guy

I'd be flabbergasted if the jets put a 1st round tender on huff.

I have a bit of a personal bias against Mosley, He was a big culprit in costing us two games, he has limited range, he makes tackles like any lb does but I won;t beef too much if he is retained I suppose.

I like Greg Olson but I do not particularly like Bevel.  I'd rather make olson OC and try to poach a guy like calhan as senior offense assistant and oline coach.

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I would love this offseason. I want to be picky and add in that we cut Brandon Mann and add a legit NFL punter. Also, trade for DeAndre Hopkins. 

Yea a punter swap is deff on the table. Would love to trade a conditional 2024 pick for Hopkins. I think the Cardinals are tanking and prefer picks in that draft. You can definitely work some cap gymnastics too.

1 hour ago, derp said:

Looks like you have ballpark $80M in acquisitions (including draft class) and $50M in cap space prior to that. Lots of pushing money into future years?

Depth chart would be helpful - this leaves like 2 QB’s and 3 WR’s but lots of tackles for example.

Yea the video explains contract breakdowns by year with signing bonus. There is a lot of shifting money around with void years that we have seen as common place with recent contracts.

I do push a little down the road but it's nothing outrageous. Douglas and Saleh have their back against the wall, they won't care about future cap if they can't get it figured out this year they won't be able to spend it.

Edit* for WR it would leave you Wilson, Moore, & Mims as your top 3 with a few interesting guys on the PS + UDFA. I think they can add a PR/KR type WR for cheap and then will rely on TEs and RBs. I think you could swing a conditional 2024 draft pick for Hopkins too though.

1 hour ago, usanyj said:

Right I think we do agree… my main point to Ryan was that instead of spending 44 mil on the lineman, maybe focus that spot in the draft and throw a mid round pick at the cards for Hopkins. I just don’t know the numbers like he does. I’d think a top 3 of Wilson, Hopkins, Moore, with Breece back would be very enticing for a vet qb

I think you could swing a conditional 2024 pick for Hopkins. Cardinals are going to tank 2023 and trade Kyler IMO and want ammo in case they screw up the tank.

1 hour ago, TheClashFan said:

I like what this offseason does with OL.  The Jets situation at OT is terrible right now.  No way can they count on Becton or Mitchell for anything. Brown is very questionable, too.

When training camp starts, the depth chart should see Becton at OT4 and Mitchell at OT5.  So, who are the two starters and the swing tackle?

I hope JD learned his lesson from last offseason about "penciling in" injured guys at OT.

LT - Jones/Brown

LG - Tomlinson/Stromberg

C - McGovern/Stromberg

RG - AVT/Stromberg

RT - McGlinchey/Becton/Mitchell

Swing Tackle could be a combo of any of the OTs really. I'd love Becton to prove his worth here. With this offseason Douglas will have to rely on Mims, Ashtyn, and Becton to some extent for depth pieces.

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

LT - Jones/Brown

LG - Tomlinson/Stromberg

C - McGovern/Stromberg

RG - AVT/Stromberg

RT - McGlinchey/Becton/Mitchell

Swing Tackle could be a combo of any of the OTs really. I'd love Becton to prove his worth here. With this offseason Douglas will have to rely on Mims, Ashtyn, and Becton to some extent for depth pieces.

I haven't watched the video but one of the Jets youtubers put one out today claiming the Jets are planning on moving Becton back to LT. I think that makes sense.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I saw you spot while surfing youtube on my xbox last night.  -5 points for not wearing your aviators hat and glasses.

I like most of what you did but not all of it.

Carr is my first choice for Qb solution so I like that.

I liked the oline strategy, always over build the oline.

I liked your draft overall.

I would be inclined not to move on from whitehead just yet, he was a bit disappoint but not totally terrible.

No issue with your WR moves, Davis can probably be replaced by a very cheap vet or even by a developmental guy

I'd be flabbergasted if the jets put a 1st round tender on huff.

I have a bit of a personal bias against Mosley, He was a big culprit in costing us two games, he has limited range, he makes tackles like any lb does but I won;t beef too much if he is retained I suppose.

I like Greg Olson but I do not particularly like Bevel.  I'd rather make olson OC and try to poach a guy like calhan as senior offense assistant and oline coach.

Haha thanks! Love the goggles, need a special type of excitement or hat hair in order for me to throw them on!

- I really would prefer to restructure Whitehead and save money while not opening a hole. Definitely agree with you haha

- What do you think we do with Huff? I think there is a shot Quinnen is not extended for a similar reason, Douglas wants as much as possible to put into this year.

- I would be down with those coaches as well. Many ways to skin a cat!

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I haven't watched the video but one of the Jets youtubers put one out today claiming the Jets are planning on moving Becton back to LT. I think that makes sense.

I think if you want to maximize your assets then you gamble on Becton at LT, Mims at the X, and Ashtyn Davis at FS.

If you plug them in and spread your other assets around you could have a really lethal team but a really risky gamble. I don't like the idea of relying in Becton at all but it may be one of those confidence type things where they "pencil him in" and have a player they like that doesn't appear to be a replacement.

5 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I think if you want to maximize your assets then you gamble on Becton at LT, Mims at the X, and Ashtyn Davis at FS.

If you plug them in and spread your other assets around you could have a really lethal team but a really risky gamble. I don't like the idea of relying in Becton at all but it may be one of those confidence type things where they "pencil him in" and have a player they like that doesn't appear to be a replacement.

It's risky to rely on Becton for sure. I think AVT being so versatile reduces that risk some - he can kick out to LT and have a serviceable floor. You can target a RT like Dewand Jones (Ohio State) in the 3rd round.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Haha thanks! Love the goggles, need a special type of excitement or hat hair in order for me to throw them on!

- I really would prefer to restructure Whitehead and save money while not opening a hole. Definitely agree with you haha

- What do you think we do with Huff? I think there is a shot Quinnen is not extended for a similar reason, Douglas wants as much as possible to put into this year.

- I would be down with those coaches as well. Many ways to skin a cat!

Well Huff, tender at a 2nd rounder at most.  The guy does not play 18, 10, 8 % of the D snaps the last three weeks.  I like the player but this goes back to my beef about Saleh and ulbrich and how they rotate.

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Well Huff, tender at a 2nd rounder at most.  The guy does not play 18, 10, 8 % of the D snaps the last three weeks.  I like the player but this goes back to my beef about Saleh and ulbrich and how they rotate.

Your not concerned a team would sign him away? I think he's worth more to us than a 2nd round pick. I think we will give him more opportunities next year without Lawson too

2 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Your not concerned a team would sign him away? I think he's worth more to us than a 2nd round pick. I think we will give him more opportunities next year without Lawson too

I'll take a 2nd rounder for him no problem at all.  I like the player but he doesn't play enough and if we have to use the 2nd rounder on another pass  rusher who will be cheaper than the tender number so be it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I'll take a 2nd rounder for him no problem at all.  I like the player but he doesn't play enough and if we have to use the 2nd rounder on another pass  rusher who will be cheaper than the tender number so be it.

I think that makes sense.

Finding a guy who can fly off the edge in a wide 9 in passing situations isn't nearly as hard as finding a traditional pass rusher.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

That's fair, I guess I'm traumatized from bad draft picks haha

20 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It's risky to rely on Becton for sure. I think AVT being so versatile reduces that risk some - he can kick out to LT and have a serviceable floor. You can target a RT like Dewand Jones (Ohio State) in the 3rd round.

I think it is flat out foolhardy to count on Becton at all.  Having missed pretty much 2 full seasons, his knee(s) are likely to be a problem his entire career, however long it is. I like the idea of signing a solid starting OT as a free agent and then drafting a young guy in the first round or two.

AVT seemed to look good in the small sample we saw of him at RT, but then he, too promptly had a season ending injury. 

2 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

I think it is flat out foolhardy to count on Becton at all.  Having missed pretty much 2 full seasons, his knee(s) are likely to be a problem his entire career, however long it is. I like the idea of signing a solid starting OT as a free agent and then drafting a young guy in the first round or two.

AVT seemed to look good in the small sample we saw of him at RT, but then he, too promptly had a season ending injury. 

The thing with the Becton injury is the second injury was a known risk that doctors predicted because of the type of injury it was. There is no such prediction for it to happen again. I get being wary of relying on the guy - I am too but I'm not sure the worry is warranted. I think we're just mentally scared.

I do think we need to add a legit T.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The thing with the Becton injury is the second injury was a known risk that doctors predicted because of the type of injury it was. There is no such prediction for it to happen again. I get being wary of relying on the guy - I am too but I'm not sure the worry is warranted. I think we're just mentally scared.

I do think we need to add a legit T.

Yeah I think you can both plan for him to start and be prepared for life without him.  Let's say you take Paris Johnson in the 1st and sign McGlinchey.

LT: Becton; Brown(assuming he doesn't retire)

LG: P Johnson(1st); Tomlinson

C : McGovern or Schmitz(2nd)

RG: AVT; Herbig

RT: McGlinchey; Mitchell

Becton goes down you can either slide Johnson back to LT and start Tomlinson at LG(or slide AVT to LG and start Herbig at RG), or you can just play the vet Brown if he's still around and keep everything else the same.  Only way I think we'll be ****ed next year is if not only Becton goes down but a couple of our other starters as well.  Let's say Becton, AVT, AND McGlinchey all go down:

LT: P Johnson(1st); Brown

LG: Tomlinson

C : McGovern or Schmitz(2nd)

RG: Herbig

RT: Mitchell

Not great.  Not good.  Still 1000x better than our OL this year though after all the bodies started dropping.