Jump to content

Purdy is a great example of what the Jets should be doing, but isn't!


Alka

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, Alka said:

I don't know what NFL executive said this, but I remember it well, and has always subscribed to it.  This executive said that he feels that in every draft, a quarterback should be taken  by the team.  Even if you have a QB, you should always take one at some point in the draft.  

If you think about this statement, it really makes sense.  Russell Wilson was taken in the 4th round, Tom Brady was taken in the 6th round, Purdy was taken with the last pick of the draft, and yes, Mike White was taken in the 5th round of the draft.

Of course you will have clunkers happening all the time, but the point is, you never know when the next QB that you pick will pan out, and end up being a very valuable piece of your team.

The Jets need to start doing this every single year, and not giving away the 7th round picks and 6th round picks for fill-ins, because even in the later rounds, you could strike gold at the QB position.  

I don’t disagree. However, we haven’t had a CS staff that has the faintest idea of how to develop a QB in forever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He’s in the perfect situation with a dominant team. Teams that they played this year lost the following week every time I think. They kick the sh*t out of people.  He’s got top notch coaching to boot. Great line and the best LT in football 
He’s playing really well but put him on the jets and he’s a jag

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Larz said:

He’s in the perfect situation with a dominant team. Teams that they played this year lost the following week every time I think. They kick the sh*t out of people.  He’s got top notch coaching to boot. Great line and the best LT in football 
He’s playing really well but put him on the jets and he’s a jag

JAG? Just Another Guy?….

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

better than Zach Wilson? 

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Ron Wolf. 
We’ve done it before hasn’t worked and fans kill them for wasting low round picks on QBs

 

Purdy played in the Big 12. James Morgan played at Florida International and Zach Wilson played at BYU. I'm not saying you can't find a guy at a small school, but it seems like Joe Douglas is still trying to find some diamond in the rough at a small school like he did with Joe Flacco at Delware. 

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Keep in mind, what Purdy is doing is all about Purdy. People act like football is rocket science, its not, its a game. When it comes to the QB position its all about brains and instinct, stuff your born with and how fast you can process information. Processing information fast does not make you smart and processing information slow does not make you stupid.

I just so happens playing QB is extremely difficult and the stuff that makes you good great or elite can not be taught nor can it be evaluated at the college level. So most talent is evaluated by things that just don't always translate to the QB position, running fast, making every throw, having a strong arm.

Purdy looks like the next Joe Montana because he has those things you just can't evaluate or teach that's why he was picked 262 in the draft for the same reasons Brady was Picked 199 talent evaluation needs to be evaluated in how you find a QB because most of the time GM/Owners/Coaches are dead wrong about QB's. 

Good post. I wonder what he would look like without C Mac and his left tackle? Even Zach lucked into a few wins before AVT and Breece went down. Zach’s football processor makes my old Commador64 look like IBM Watson, 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Larz said:

He’s in the perfect situation with a dominant team. Teams that they played this year lost the following week every time I think. They kick the sh*t out of people.  He’s got top notch coaching to boot. Great line and the best LT in football 
He’s playing really well but put him on the jets and he’s a jag

I highly doubt that..... if you really watch Purdy play he has a very good idea WTF is going on around him and he plays with the calmness of a 10 year vet. That's no Jag you are watching that's a natural at the position. Don't get me wrong coaching is the second if the not first most important thing in this game. But Coaching and developing are 2 very different things. Some QB's don't need developing they just have what it takes and Purdy is one of those guys who shines even more due to very good coaching. 

I believe we had and have good coaching the problem is we also had Zach Wilson and he's just terrible in every conceivable way. Our QC Mr LeFleur never had a chance at any consistency at the position and it got him fired. I believe if he had Mike White at the position from day one we would be watching the Jets play today or tomorrow because it would have given both him and White the chance to grow with the current roster and thats not to mention the rash of injuries we felt on offense. Losing OL at an alarming rate and losing Breece Hall were killers for any offense and MLF was the scapegoat for that fact.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Good post. I wonder what he would look like without C Mac and his left tackle? Even Zach lucked into a few wins before AVT and Breece went down. Zach’s football processor makes my old Commador64 look like IBM Watson, 

Probably like any other QB would look. He just so happens to have those guys and he performs. Is it fair to say what would he look like without them ? I've been saying RB is the QB's best friend for years and got into numerous arguments on this forum on the subject. But when you give a QB or a Team a guy like C MAc or Breece Hall they become very very dangerous.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, heymangold said:

it's the coach - it's not really Purdy.

Not Sure what your watching but I saw Purdy turn many broken plays over the last 5+ weeks into gems were you watching that ? Pay attention to what the QB is doing and not the bullsh*t narratives you read. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I highly doubt that..... if you really watch Purdy play he has a very good idea WTF is going on around him and he plays with the calmness of a 10 year vet. That's no Jag you are watching that's a natural at the position. Don't get me wrong coaching is the second if the not first most important thing in this game. But Coaching and developing are 2 very different things. Some QB's don't need developing they just have what it takes and Purdy is one of those guys who shines even more due to very good coaching. 

I believe we had and have good coaching the problem is we also had Zach Wilson and he's just terrible in every conceivable way. Our QC Mr LeFleur never had a chance at any consistency at the position and it got him fired. I believe if he had Mike White at the position from day one we would be watching the Jets play today or tomorrow because it would have given both him and White the chance to grow with the current roster and thats not to mention the rash of injuries we felt on offense. Losing OL at an alarming rate and losing Breece Hall were killers for any offense and MLF was the scapegoat for that fact.

Name the similarities between situations 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

 

Purdy played in the Big 12. James Morgan played at Florida International and Zach Wilson played at BYU. I'm not saying you can't find a guy at a small school, but it seems like Joe Douglas is still trying to find some diamond in the rough at a small school like he did with Joe Flacco at Delware. 

 

They’ve gone both routes through the years.  Flyers on Petty , Boyd, McElroy or and] Ainge.  None have worked.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Larz said:

Name the similarities between situations 

exactly what 2 situations are you talking about ? I typed 3 pretty big posts on the situation and situations I have to do some work on my property now so not much time to continue typing dissertations. Catch up later :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Scouts and GMs get it wrong on QB's bc they value traits over football IQ. Average traits with a high football IQ beat out elite traits with an average football IQ all day every day. 

Choon no matter how you slice it evaluation on QB';s coming out of college who play with little pressure for the bulk of their schedule are extremely hard to evaluate no matter how you slice it. The whole process needs to be looked at because right now the success rate is bad and that could mostly be because only a select few people can actually play this position at a high level no matter how you look at it .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Probably like any other QB would look. He just so happens to have those guys and he performs. Is it fair to say what would he look like without them ? I've been saying RB is the QB's best friend for years and got into numerous arguments on this forum on the subject. But when you give a QB or a Team a guy like C MAc or Breece Hall they become very very dangerous.

Agreed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Probably like any other QB would look. He just so happens to have those guys and he performs. Is it fair to say what would he look like without them ? I've been saying RB is the QB's best friend for years and got into numerous arguments on this forum on the subject. But when you give a QB or a Team a guy like C MAc or Breece Hall they become very very dangerous.

People argue against this?  It’s basic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

exactly what 2 situations are you talking about ? I typed 3 pretty big posts on the situation and situations I have to do some work on my property now so not much time to continue typing dissertations. Catch up later :)

 

The jets and 49ers ?   My point is really simple, the jets problem isn’t that they didn’t draft a QB in the 6th rd, it’s that everything around the QB is sub par except a single WR and that if you put Purdy on the Jets nobody would be waxing his knob. 
 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Alka said:

I don't know what NFL executive said this, but I remember it well, and has always subscribed to it.  This executive said that he feels that in every draft, a quarterback should be taken  by the team.  Even if you have a QB, you should always take one at some point in the draft.  

If you think about this statement, it really makes sense.  Russell Wilson was taken in the 4th round, Tom Brady was taken in the 6th round, Purdy was taken with the last pick of the draft, and yes, Mike White was taken in the 5th round of the draft.

Of course you will have clunkers happening all the time, but the point is, you never know when the next QB that you pick will pan out, and end up being a very valuable piece of your team.

The Jets need to start doing this every single year, and not giving away the 7th round picks and 6th round picks for fill-ins, because even in the later rounds, you could strike gold at the QB position.  

Purdy is a good story but it is in no way a method to find a QB. A lot of things had to go right for the 9ers. There are distinct differences in Zach and Purdy. Purdy bought into what the 9ers were trying to do offensively,  Zach did not buy into the offensive system the Jets were running. Purdy is taking what is in front of him. Zach has open receivers in front of him and holds the ball. Purdy throws the ball to where a receiver can catch it and is consistent at this, Zach throws balls into the dirt and over receivers heads. Purdy seems to have good footwork, not perfect and he has a so so pocket sense which can improve, Zach is so bad at these things, Saleh is trying to reset him. 

Now my point is Purdy is doing all the things we would hope the #2 overall pick would be doing, Zach on the other hand is doing what Purdy most likely would be doing or any other QB picked that late. Picking QB's in the late rounds is not how the Jets are going to fix this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Choon no matter how you slice it evaluation on QB';s coming out of college who play with little pressure for the bulk of their schedule are extremely hard to evaluate no matter how you slice it. The whole process needs to be looked at because right now the success rate is bad and that could mostly be because only a select few people can actually play this position at a high level no matter how you look at it .

On official visits they do put them through board work but I think Scouts fall in love with talent and will ignore the mental side of it bc they believe that can be taught. I'd prefer the extremely smart guy that I can mold an offense around that highlight his mental acuity. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

 

I say keep drafting them. The more draft picks you have the more you can gamble. Worst case scenario you got a camp arm. 

I agree.  
Especially since of all the so called QB developers people recite, most have one or 0 QB developed.    

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

They’ve gone both routes through the years.  Flyers on Petty , Boyd, McElroy or and] Ainge.  None have worked.  

I think he was talking about JD picks. It's pretty obvious big time schools produce busts just like small ones do. The difference is at least the big schools play other big schools. I always hated the idea Zach had one good year playing at BYU against the weak teams and never really had pressure because BYU had a great OL. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Not long ago RB’s were irrelevant in the NFL …. argued extensively on this very forum….

No, people have argued against using top picks on RBs, that good ones can be found without using top picks.  
Different story Joe. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

JAG? Just Another Guy?….

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

better than Zach Wilson? 

Lol. Zachenberg is in some of the worst qb play territory In history. You don’t need to look hard for someone to be better. Lol

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Larz said:

The jets and 49ers ?   My point is really simple, the jets problem isn’t that they didn’t draft a QB in the 6th rd, it’s that everything around the QB is sub par except a single WR and that if you put Purdy on the Jets nobody would be waxing his knob. 
 

 

Couldn't agree more with this assessment. The Seahawks were generating pressure on Purdy towards the end of the second half yesterday and he legit started looking like Zach Wilson for a bit. The niners fixed the problem and he got right back on track.

Purdy is a great example of what can happen if you put QB's in a situation with a strong o-line, strong WR's, elite RB, elite TE and elite play calling. The guy is playing well and I don't want to take away from that, but he couldn't ask for a better situation. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...