Sunday WIldcard Games Thread

Jones showed a LOT of promise before daboll showed up.  And in any case, so what?  Is Daniel Jones playing at a high level now or isnt he?  Who drafted him?

Daniel Jones is pretty damn good. I definitely underrated him maybe because he was a turnover machine last few years but with Daboll. He has gotten the best out of this kid.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Jones showed a LOT of promise before daboll showed up.  And in any case, so what?  Is Daniel Jones playing at a high level now or isnt he?  Who drafted him?

Haven't we already established anyways that QB drafting is a crap shoot? And if you're talking promise by how the Giants didn't pick up his fifth year option? He threw INTs and fumbled a crap ton. He was pretty awful before Daboll showed up.

His high level playing is because Daboll actually knows how to work with QBs. If he was the Jets coach Zach Wilson becomes a better QB than Jones has been this season.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Jones was a damn turnover machine before Daboll was hired and Giant fans were calling for his head. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Hex said:

Haven't we already established anyways that QB drafting is a crap shoot? And if you're talking promise by how the Giants didn't pick up his fifth year option? He threw INTs and fumbled a crap ton. He was pretty awful before Daboll showed up.

His high level playing is because Daboll actually knows how to work with QBs. If he was the Jets coach Zach Wilson becomes a better QB than Jones has been this season.

2 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Jones was a damn turnover machine before Daboll was hired and Giant fans were calling for his head. 

Which begs the question, why didn’t our genius GM hire Daboll instead of Saleh?

1 minute ago, Green Ghost said:

Which begs the question, why didn’t our genius GM hire Daboll instead of Saleh?

Because he felt Saleh would be better suited for the needs of the team. Every other team that needed a coach that season passed on him too. Plus, Gettleman didn't hire Daboll, so it's a moot point in the argument anyways.

1 minute ago, Hex said:

Because he felt Saleh would be better suited for the needs of the team. Every other team that needed a coach that season passed on him too. Plus, Gettleman didn't hire Daboll, so it's a moot point in the argument anyways.

Those other teams don’t have a GM named Joe Douglas, so that’s a moot point also. Saleh looks pretty bad in comparison, wouldn’t you say?

2 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Those other teams don’t have a GM named Joe Douglas, so that’s a moot point also. Saleh looks pretty bad in comparison, wouldn’t you say?

I wouldn't say that. I think Daboll has turned the Giants around pretty spectacularly, but the Jets D also did a complete 180. Saleh came in to probably a much worse situation than Daboll did and Saleh hired the wrong OC. Daboll might look better, but I wouldn't say Saleh looks bad in comparison.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Meanwhile, this is another good game. Aside from the second half of SF/Seattle these playoff games have been fun to watch.

This could easily be the 3rd of 4 games where both teams score 30+

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Hex said:

I wouldn't say that. I think Daboll has turned the Giants around pretty spectacularly, but the Jets D also did a complete 180. Saleh came in to probably a much worse situation than Daboll did and Saleh hired the wrong OC. Daboll might look better, but I wouldn't say Saleh looks bad in comparison.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Meanwhile, this is another good game. Aside from the second half of SF/Seattle these playoff games have been fun to watch.

I think this stupid team may have finally ruined it for me.  I've never been so disinterested in playoff football before, regardless of whether the Jets were in it.

I feel like I'm mostly watching / commenting out of little more than old habit, but it's mostly just kind of there.

I'll probably just root against Buffalo next week, but otherwise won't really care much about any outcomes.  I guess Brady looking like total crap tomorrow and costing his team the game would be nice too, but that's about it.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Jets0712 said:

Daniel Jones is pretty damn good. I definitely underrated him maybe because he was a turnover machine last few years but with Daboll. He has gotten the best out of this kid.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I know it is anathema out here, but it is called GOOD COACHING!!!!

5 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I think this stupid team may have finally ruined it for me.  I've never been so disinterested in playoff football before, regardless of whether the Jets were in it.

I feel like I'm mostly watching / commenting out of little more than old habit, but it's mostly just kind of there.

I'll probably just root against Buffalo next week, but otherwise won't really care much about any outcomes.  I guess Brady looking like total crap tomorrow and costing his team the game would be nice too, but that's about it.

Football is fun. The Jets just suck at it. The bottom line is the coaches and GM’s they hire are not material for the job and use a distant owner for guaranteed money. 

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

2 seasons ago, the Jets were dead last in offense and 26th in defense. 

Now, they're top 6 in defense with a complete culture turnaround and a couple injuries away from being 11-6 and in the playoffs.

Coaching matters.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

People think No the players are pros and they coach themselves. Well, teams that hold that philosophy end up being the Jets and out of the playoffs for over a decade!

Coaching matters, Jones wasn't scaring anyone until he got with a coach who KNEW what they are doing!

This ISN'T rocket science!

37 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

But a guy that could run, and pass and yes turn it over.   How does the guy in the playoffs look right now?  So they had a QB all along and he was never developed?  Kind of proves my point. 

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

I mostly agree with you but I think it's cheaper daboll has outperformed Saleh 

Daboll has for sure outperformed Saleh. Being in the playoffs is sure proof of that. I just don't understand the sentiment that Saleh has been bad. The Jets lost their 2 best offensive players in one game when they were 5-2 and on a 4 game win streak. Zach Wilson fell apart, followed by the OL, RBs, and all the other QBs on the roster while the defense held teams to 18 ppg. It also became more and more clear that the playcalling was terribly awful and predictable. Saleh gets a competent playcaller, a better QB and less injuries, and this team is better than the Giants. Daboll has 2 of those 3 things.

He's still done better than Saleh for sure though.

Just now, Beerfish said:

But a guy that could run, and pass and yes turn it over.   How does the guy in the playoffs look right now?  So they had a QB all along and he was never developed?  Kind of proves my point. 

I think this idea Daniel Jones has been completely transformed is wrong he had 24 TDs his rookie year he just fumbled a lot...he has gotten better over time but he's not all that different of a player.

21 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Sad to hear. I think there are phases a Jet fan goes through. You’re at a low point.

Hopefully you get through this one or we get better. (Most likely you’ll get through this first though, wink wink)

• Haha 1