You want Carr…

8 hours ago, JETS SB said:

What the what? QBs with the best "stats" in the history of the NFL

Tom Brady

Drew Brees

Peyton Manning

10 Super Bowl victories.

Kirk Cousins has no defense. Thats why they lost.

Cousins has a great Offense.  Talent everywhere.  He throws a 3 yard checkdown with the game on the line.  

There D isn't good, but the Giants secondary isn't good and MN had matchup advantages all game.  Cousins is a stat compiller who has been around a long time.  He absolutely shat himself in the key moments of a playoff game.  

I was skeptical when Testaverde showed up in '98.  Very bad track record.  I'm sure Parcells made the difference, but the feeling of NOT dreading the offense take the field was a breath of fresh air.  I think Carr  could be stabilizing for the O.  Maybe the change will do him good.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, FootballLove said:

Problem with settling for a QB that's 10 million times better than anything we have had for years is we get stuck in the Bengals vortex. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride. 

Trust me, we'll get tired of one-and-done in the POs just as fast as never making the POs. But we won't get the Sauce Gardners and Breece Halls of the world, and our cap will be tied up in a QB that's 10 million times better than anything we have had for years....when what we need is a QB that's 11 million times better.

If I understand your post correctly I fully agree.  Going for a guy who is an upgrade from what we currently have (like a Derek Carr) can get us a 9-8 type season and a 1st round playoff loss.  That will VERY QUICKLY be tiring.   I wouldn't want to be tied into a guy like that for 5 years at big money.  Money that could be used to pay the young stars we have that are going to need contracts soon.  

• Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

And who do you want? Indulge me

I  don’t really have a wish list, but if I make one he will not be on it. He is not a winner in my book, is absurdly overpaid and would not really move the needle all that much vs what he would cost in salary or draft capital. He’s gotten the Raiders to one playoff game. No thanks, I’ll pass.

https://www.si.com/nfl/raiders/the-black-hole-plus/las-vegas-raiders-derek-carr-dave-ziegler-tom-brady-josh-mcdaniels-mark-davis

Here's an article on what went down this season with Carr. Not gonna paste because its a mess of bullet points, but I'll sum it up.

Carr was (and still is) very respected, but the Patriot way didn't work for him. Didn't take too much internal criticism well and thought the fun of the game was being sucked out of him. He also had serious issues with decision making and execution this year. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, section314 said:

I  don’t really have a wish list, but if I make one he will not be on it. He is not a winner in my book, is absurdly overpaid and would not really move the needle all that much vs what he would cost in salary or draft capital. He’s gotten the Raiders to one playoff game. No thanks, I’ll pass.

Carr has had bottom 20 defenses his entire career, including multiple dead last seasons. He leads his team to wins when the game is close, and he wants to win more than most QBs. He also doesn't have much of an injury history. He's a better option than any other QB currently available.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, JETS SB said:

What the what? QBs with the best "stats" in the history of the NFL

Tom Brady

Drew Brees

Peyton Manning

10 Super Bowl victories.

Kirk Cousins has no defense. Thats why they lost.

Kirk "one and done" Cousins is a choke artist. Never can win the big game. Prime example yesterday. 4th and 8 and he gets happy feet and throws it 4 yrds. to a non Jefferson receiver and crosses his fingers. Loser

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, section314 said:

Hope you watched the Giants game, Stat compilers don’t win. 

How’s he compiling stats?  
Completing passes for decent to really good yardage, scoring TD’s and avoiding INT’s?

Hate those stats that jump off the page to crap on players we don’t like.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, section314 said:

Raiders have been a playoff type team all these years and Carr has been holding them back. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Grandy said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/raiders/the-black-hole-plus/las-vegas-raiders-derek-carr-dave-ziegler-tom-brady-josh-mcdaniels-mark-davis

Here's an article on what went down this season with Carr. Not gonna paste because its a mess of bullet points, but I'll sum it up.

Carr was (and still is) very respected, but the Patriot way didn't work for him. Didn't take too much internal criticism well and thought the fun of the game was being sucked out of him. He also had serious issues with decision making and execution this year. 

Literally reeks of the same thing McDaniels did to piss off Cutler the day they met for the first time.

There’s a huge difference between what McDaniels considers to be “internal criticism” and what internal criticism really is/should be.  I’d bet anything he pulled the same sh*t with Carr.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

Literally reeks of the same thing McDaniels did to piss off Cutler the day they met for the first time.

There’s a huge difference between what McDaniels considers to be “internal criticism” and what internal criticism really is/should be.  I’d bet anything he pulled the same sh*t with Carr.

You mean like when he went to the coach/GM meeting and wore a jersey with Qs it Brandon Marshall’s #15 with a different name on it?

1 hour ago, Grandy said:

Sounds like a good match for positive vibes only

9 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Seriously.

It's not a function of getting wet over Carr so much as considering that he is one of the few options among veteran QBs -- with the added advantage that no newcomer will be pigeonholed into MLF's offense, fit be damned. 

Today he's the only QB fully known to be an available option. Anyone else might be re-signed by his current team. I think JG's a long shot to have that happen, given the success SF is having without him for cheap, but I don't know how hard they're looking his way right after firing a purportedly ideal-fit OC.

Anyway the greater point is as you say. It's not about choosing among the best QBs in the league, so much as the best veteran QBs available to the NYJ, specifically in this upcoming FA/trade period in March.

Would you trade a pick or two to guarantee getting him with his current contract or wait til he’s cut and compete to try and sign him?

12 minutes ago, docdhc said:

Would you trade a pick or two to guarantee getting him with his current contract or wait til he’s cut and compete to try and sign him?

What pick? Devil’s in the details. Plus I’m not Carr’s greatest fan in the first place.

Truth is I don’t think that’s realistic anyway, seeing how it was reported he can veto any trade. He’s probably getting a FA contract no matter what; trade or no trade. There’ll be no discount. 

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If I understand your post correctly I fully agree.  Going for a guy who is an upgrade from what we currently have (like a Derek Carr) can get us a 9-8 type season and a 1st round playoff loss.  That will VERY QUICKLY be tiring.   I wouldn't want to be tied into a guy like that for 5 years at big money.  Money that could be used to pay the young stars we have that are going to need contracts soon.  

Excellent point.  The jets are almost a future is now team. They have maybe 3 more seasons to really make the show. After that they’ll have to contend with all sorts of money issues. And if they get stuck in that 9-10 win vortex they won’t be able to get those really good draft picks unless they are willing to trade.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

How do you come to this conclusion other than you don’t like Carr and are advocating a pass.  Please, what will limit us to 9-8 with a 4400 yard, 25 TD passer along with this D.  
And of course just throw out there we’d lose in the 1st round.  Of course.  Funny we won 9 and 11 games in 16 game seasons with a top D and Sanchez on the was to 4-2 playoff record in 2 seasons

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

How do you come to this conclusion other than you don’t like Carr and are advocating a pass.  Please, what will limit us to 9-8 with a 4400 yard, 25 TD passer along with this D.  
And of course just throw out there we’d lose in the 1st round.  Of course.  Funny we won 9 and 11 games in 16 game seasons with a top D and Sanchez on the was to 4-2 playoff record in 2 seasons

I can't reveal this information.  :)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What pick? Devil’s in the details. Plus I’m not Carr’s greatest fan in the first place.

Truth is I don’t think that’s realistic anyway, seeing how it was reported he can veto any trade. He’s probably getting a FA contract no matter what; trade or no trade. There’ll be no  yearsdiscount. 

I was thinking free agent contract will be less than his current deal of 35 million next year and 43 the next 2. You give up something to get his exclusive rights and I think he’d take it to keep his old deal. I think he’ll get less on open market now that his rep is tarnished a bit. Probably some kind of shorter prove himself deal rather than another top franchise QB offer. Maybe a 3rd to LV so they get something. Jets may have to overpay to get a solid starter and he might be best available. 

3 hours ago, docdhc said:

I was thinking free agent contract will be less than his current deal of 35 million next year and 43 the next 2. You give up something to get his exclusive rights and I think he’d take it to keep his old deal. I think he’ll get less on open market now that his rep is tarnished a bit. Probably some kind of shorter prove himself deal rather than another top franchise QB offer. Maybe a 3rd to LV so they get something. Jets may have to overpay to get a solid starter and he might be best available. 

The rumor was he wants his deal torn up to add multiple additional guaranteed seasons. His current contract has none left.

I don’t know what his going rate would be as a UFA in the spring (demands shmemands, he can only get what the highest bidder is willing to pay), but since he has veto power on the trade itself he can’t be forced into playing under his current deal for the team that’s willing to part with draft picks.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The rumor was he wants his deal torn up to add multiple additional guaranteed seasons. His current contract has none left.

I don’t know what his going rate would be as a UFA in the spring (demands shmemands, he can only get what the highest bidder is willing to pay), but since he has veto power on the trade itself he can’t be forced into playing under his current deal for the team that’s willing to part with draft picks.

I don’t know how many suitors he’s going to have 

1) Indy going to draft a QB 

2) Washington said they are rolling with Howell 

3) Tampa looks like a prime candidate for a teardown/rebuild 

4) New Orleans is in cap hell

It could come down to one or two teams that even has interest in him as a starter

If Carr is the choice they need to be able to get out of his contract after two years. I look at Carr as an expensive bridge QB. I don't think he's going to be our version of Stafford, he's just too inconsistent. But Carr is good enough to make the playoffs which will buy JD time to fix his mistake by drafting a developmental QB.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk