You want Carr…

14 hours ago, Grandy said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/raiders/the-black-hole-plus/las-vegas-raiders-derek-carr-dave-ziegler-tom-brady-josh-mcdaniels-mark-davis

Here's an article on what went down this season with Carr. Not gonna paste because its a mess of bullet points, but I'll sum it up.

Carr was (and still is) very respected, but the Patriot way didn't work for him. Didn't take too much internal criticism well and thought the fun of the game was being sucked out of him. He also had serious issues with decision making and execution this year. 

Josh McDaniel is a football super genius if his team is winning 13 games and the division. But if not winning 13 games,  he's the a-hole boss who goes out of his way to make everyone miserable and makes coming to work a unpleasant chore. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Ok you don’t want Carr - so what’s the alternative? Jacoby Brisset ?

16 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

And who do you want? Indulge me

16 hours ago, section314 said:

I  don’t really have a wish list, but if I make one he will not be on it. He is not a winner in my book, is absurdly overpaid and would not really move the needle all that much vs what he would cost in salary or draft capital. He’s gotten the Raiders to one playoff game. No thanks, I’ll pass.

This is kind of the thing, though. They have to make an affirmative selection. The Jets can't simply put "not ______" on the field at QB.

Again, I'm not the biggest Carr cheerleader there is, and I'm certainly not sure he'll be the best option available - we don't yet know who's realistically going to be available to a new team in 2023 and who isn't, other than probably Carr and JG - but the Jets need to select a veteran to sign, not merely which veterans to not-pick.

Also it seems he'd have moved the needle plenty this year. After the bye, with a healthy and talented group of receivers, the Jets failed to throw a single TD pass in 6 of their final 8 games. At one point they were literally fielding their 4th string gimmick QB despite their 2nd and 3rd string QBs being healthy (and despite his inability to throw a football more than 10 yards). 

Carr may very well not be the answer, but ffs if they're going to go down then at least go down swinging. Especially while they're in this 2-3 year window of talented young WRs still being on their cheap rookie contracts. 

• Upvote 4

On 1/16/2023 at 12:54 AM, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Carr ain’t the answer but he’d at least get the Jets into the playoffs

Daniel Jones is a nice blend of pocket QB with rushing upside 

He doesn’t rush too much where you worry about wear and tear, and he’s good enough from the pocket to get it done 

QBs who can’t use their legs at all like Brady are a dying breed

I’m sick of going into a season feeling hopeless 

Give me Lamar

Quick fact. Carr doesn’t run. At all. 

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This is kind of the thing, though. They have to make an affirmative selection. The Jets can't simply put "not ______" on the field at QB.

Again, I'm not the biggest Carr cheerleader there is, and I'm certainly not sure he'll be the best option available - we don't yet know who's realistically going to be available to a new team in 2023 and who isn't, other than probably Carr and JG - but the Jets need to select a veteran to sign, not merely which veterans to not-pick.

Also it seems he'd have moved the needle plenty this year. After the bye, with a healthy and talented group of receivers, the Jets failed to throw a single TD pass in 6 of their final 8 games. At one point they were literally fielding their 4th string gimmick QB despite their 2nd and 3rd string QBs being healthy (and despite his inability to throw a football more than 10 yards). 

Carr may very well not be the answer, but ffs if they're going to go down then at least go down swinging. Especially while they're in this 2-3 year window of talented young WRs still being on their cheap rookie contracts. 

Good post. You make a good case, but I just don’t think he’s the answer here. 

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The Jets will hire an OC who will convince them he can fix Zach.  It's the easy answer to not doing something radically off plan.  

• Ugh 1

8 hours ago, JetsAddict said:

I don’t know how many suitors he’s going to have 

1) Indy going to draft a QB 

2) Washington said they are rolling with Howell 

3) Tampa looks like a prime candidate for a teardown/rebuild 

4) New Orleans is in cap hell

It could come down to one or two teams that even has interest in him as a starter

A note on Indy..

They have a little cap space, but they probably don’t want Carr because they owe Matt Ryan $12M with a dead cap hit of $18M for 2023.

8 minutes ago, section314 said:

Good post. You make a good case, but I just don’t think he’s the answer here. 

Most said that about Stafford, too. Now he's got a SB ring.

They're different people, so I don't like attributing one's failures and successes to someone else, but he was a loser also. Then you look closer and see the Lions made the playoffs both times they fielded a top 15 defense. Otherwise he was a stat compiler with a strong arm who just couldn't get it done. He was flawed, too -- threw a pick per game even in the Rams' championship season. But a legit starting QB with an arm gives you a puncher's chance.

Again, I don't know that he's the best option they'll have available to them. It's too early to see what Green Bay is doing with their 2 QBs yet again, if Carr is even willing to come here, or if someone else wants him more and offers him some preposterous contract as though he was just coming off a career-best season. I'd like someone who's purportedly a bit brighter bulb upstairs, but who isn't an overpriced game manager who's missed all or most of some 32 games - will be 33 this weekend - since opening the season as the 49ers starter in 2018.

We may be painted into a corner of crossing our fingers, left to pick the best of a less-than-ideal group. If they can do better than Carr, well everyone's in favor of that.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Bugg said:

Have 3 thoughts about Carr.

1. He was very productive with Gruden and the Bisaccia. Jets with that QB this year would have been in the playoffs and may be even a bit dangerous. 

2. Josh McDaniel is a horrible coach, and perhaps a worse human bieng. Had the feel good story of Carr reuniting with his old pal Adams, and somehow, he screwed that up. Was a rough season . And in a rough season, Carr had 24 TD/14 INT, 3522 yards, 60% completion. That would probably still work here.

3. He will be 32 in March. Think you could get 3-4 decent years out of this guy. Then you might be looking at the abyss. But this is a win now team.

Carr is by no means a slam dunk. But gaming things out, (capping things out?) it could work. Assuming the OL comes together, Hall is healthy, defense continues to be mostly solid. 

Cannot see this team knowingly going into the season with Wilson as the idea. It's completely untenable. 

Carr was bad last year.  Hard decline.  Besides Adams who is great Josh Jacobs had an absolute monster year.  Stidham granted with a small sample size actually had a higher QBR than Carr.  Can't blame that all on Daniels.  Carr had a very down year.  He was benched for a reason.  

I really thought the Raiders and Carr were primed for a big year last year.  He was definetely part of the problem in LV.

30 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Carr was bad last year.  Hard decline.  Besides Adams who is great Josh Jacobs had an absolute monster year.  Stidham granted with a small sample size actually had a higher QBR than Carr.  Can't blame that all on Daniels.  Carr had a very down year.  He was benched for a reason.  

I really thought the Raiders and Carr were primed for a big year last year.  He was definetely part of the problem in LV.

The SI article is l-o-n-g. But there's some insight there. Carr looks like a very positive guy who was totally cool with Gruden and Bisaccia.

And then rather than retaining Bisaccia(now with the Packers as special teams coach) , inexplicably Mark Davis hires this angry control freak McDaniels who outside of Foxboro and one night when Brian Schottenheimer and Mike Pettine nearly came to blows, has had very little success. Carr having a down year still had 24 TDs/17INTs/60% completion in 15 games. You can win with that. Also Raiders blew a mess of games where they built up a lead and they stopped pressing while their defense crapped the bed. Simply Mcdaniels and Carr were a bad fit. Though McDaniels may be a bad fit for everyone. Think if you give Carr a breath of fresh air, you will get some production here. 

8 minutes ago, Bugg said:

The SI article is l-o-n-g. But there's some insight there. Carr looks like a very positive guy who was totally cool with Gruden and Bisaccia.

And then rather than retaining Bisaccia(now with the Packers as special teams coach) , inexplicably Mark Davis hires this angry control freak McDaniels who outside of Foxboro and one night when Brian Schottenheimer and Mike Pettine nearly came to blows, has had very little success. Carr having a down year still had 24 TDs/17INTs/60% completion in 15 games. You can win with that. Also Raiders blew a mess of games where they built up a lead and they stopped pressing while their defense crapped the bed. Simply Mcdaniels and Carr were a bad fit. Though McDaniels may be a bad fit for everyone. Think if you give Carr a breath of fresh air, you will get some production here. 

They didn't win with that with one of the best running attacks in the league and a great WR.  Gruden got max out of his QB's.  Carr is likely to do worse here not better.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Biggs said:

He will do worse.  He will have a lossing record here unlike Zach because to get him we will dilute the roster.  

“Dilute the roster?”  He’s getting cut. We can sign Carr and keep the same roster.  And Zach did nothing during those 5 wins you guys keep gloating over besides hand off to the running back 

33 minutes ago, VJphillyfan said:

“Dilute the roster?”  He’s getting cut. We can sign Carr and keep the same roster.  And Zach did nothing during those 5 wins you guys keep gloating over besides hand off to the running back 

We won't be the only suitors for his services.  We'd have to overpay the guy to come here.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Biggs said:

And many Jet fans can't wait to give this guy the bag! 

This team hasn’t made the postseason in 12 years and this silly ass fanbase is still acting like it should be Super Bowl or bust…

Derek Carr walks through the door and immediately gives us the highest level of sustained QB play that this team has had since before the f*cking moon landing.

If you have faith in this team drafting a Patrick Mahomes or Josh Allen, then you’re a goof.

I’ll gladly take consistent playoff contention at this point with the possibility to go on a run in January.

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

This team hasn’t made the postseason in 12 years and this silly ass fanbase is still acting like it should be Super Bowl or bust…

Derek Carr walks through the door and immediately gives us the highest level of sustained QB play that this team has had since before the f*cking moon landing.

If you have faith in this team drafting a Patrick Mahomes or Josh Allen, then you’re a goof.

I’ll gladly take consistent playoff contention at this point with the possibility to go on a run in January.

It's really strange especially since we are still allowed to draft QBs if we get Carr.

• Upvote 1

Untouchable is absolutely right. Here's Derek Carr's stats over the last 5 years:

Year   Comp   Att.       %        Yds.        Tds  Ints

2018 -   381    553       68.9        4049.     19.    10

2019 -   361.   513       70.4.        4054      21.     8

2020 -  348.    517.      67.3.        4103      27.      9

2021 -  428.   626       68.4.        4804     23.    14

2022 -  305    502      60.8.        3522      24.    14

compare these numbers to what the collective stats from Sam Darnold, Josh McCown in 2018 Darnold and Luke Falk in 2019, Sam and Flacco in 2020, Wilson, White, Flacco, and Josh Johnson in 2021 to this last season of Zachie Poo, MFW, Joe Flacco, and the slayer of future Amazon Prime drivers Chris Streveler and there are no comparable statistics-not even close. Get us someone who will throw 23 TDs and 11 Ints for 4100 Yards while completing 63% of his passes and we are a playoff team, barring the usual bad calls, that on average end up COSTING the Jets 2-4 losses each year. and devastating Injuries to the most important positions-namely the QB who the Jets have only been able to have suit up and play every game  8 times over the past 22 years, which is Woody Johnson's tenure. Derek Carr has even a very durable QB in his career. In 2016 he missed the last 2 games because of an ankle, the next year he missed 1 game with a sore back, and that's IT! There's no denying that consistent play and being able TO play every week makes a big difference in the team's success and failure. Here's what the Jets have been getting from the starting QBs when they are able to play all of the games  

Ryan Fitzpatrick in 2015 (10-6) Geno Smith in 2013 (8-8) Mark Sanchez 2011 (8-8 )& 2010 (11-5 3 playoff games ) Brett Favre in 2008 (they were 9-7 though he played hurt for the last month, thus no playoffs) Chad Pennington 2006, (10-6 1 playoff) Vinny Testaverde in 2001 (10-6 + 1 playoff game) and also in 2000 when they went 9-7

I believe that with this defense, a healthy  Breece Hall and a rejuvenated O-line, that the 2023 New York Jets are a playoff team with Derek Carr in green and white putting up his average numbers over the past 5 years

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I would love to have him but not at top tier QB money guaranteed for 4 years.  I think that’s what’s likely needed.  

When my wife and I first got together back in 1983 and we immediately got pregnant with me doing seasonal work in the construction trade. We knew that having kids was going to be tough but my thought has always been this: What better way to spend the money than on than kids?

Same logic applies here for Woody Johnson; What better way is there to invest his millions on than a stable QB who stays on the field and throws 25 TDs a year and gets picked off only half as much as that?