Another Sean payton thread

Trotter

Sorry for another but just heard a report that saints want a 1 and 2 3’s for his rights.

thus came from boomer so who knows but supposedly payton wants the charger job.

I did not think the draft capital was that bad

and yes I agree, regardless of what the jets offer, he will not come here

• Upvote 1
  • Ugh 1

24 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Sorry for another but just heard a report that saints want a 1 and 2 3’s for his rights.

Stranger things have happend... ;)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

In a years time we will be looking for a new HC, but not right now.

Agree.

I thought it was interesting that the report has him wanting a team that already has a coach.

of course if it is true, Staley then prob becomes the jet oc

fun times ahead

11 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Agree.

I thought it was interesting that the report has him wanting a team that already has a coach.

of course if it is true, Staley then prob becomes the jet oc

fun times ahead

Staley has a defensive background, so it wouldn’t surprise me to see Saleh give him a shot at OC. Depends how many slogans he can come up with and how positive his vibes are.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Trotter said:

And I’ll say it again. 

He is not coming to the Jets.

If he comes back he will go to Denver to fix Russel Wilson or if the Chargers fires Staley he will go there.

Zero chance he goes to the Jets

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

And I’ll say it again. 

He is not coming to the Jets.

If he comes back he will go to Denver to fix Russel Wilson or if the Chargers fires Staley he will go there.

Zero chance he goes to the Jets

I think Payton is smart enough to know there’s no fixing Russell Wilson, but the Chargers job would make complete sense if they let go of Staley. If that one doesn’t open up I think he will/could/should/would sit out a year and see what opens up. 

54 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

That albatross of a contract will end up repelling HC candidates.

He's a 26 year old former MVP stud QB.  These guys rarely come available, we have the longest active streak in all of professional sports of missing the playoffs.  I'm not worried about that contract 10 years from now. We have a ton of cheap rookie talent that's way ahead of schedule and ready to win now.  If we have a legit shot at him we gotta try.  

Just now, drsamuel84 said:

He's a 26 year old former MVP stud QB.  These guys rarely come available, we have the longest active streak in all of professional sports of missing the playoffs.  I'm not worried about that contract 10 years from now. We have a ton of cheap rookie talent that's way ahead of schedule and ready to win now.  If we have a legit shot at him we gotta try.  

He’s the 6th best QB in the AFC. Wants a fully GTD contract. Has one playoff win and bad playoff numbers. Missed 10 of his last 21 games.

Coaches will think about this stuff. They don’t think like fans.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

He’s the 6th best QB in the AFC. Wants a fully GTD contract. Has one playoff win and bad playoff numbers. Missed 10 of his last 21 games.

Coaches will think about this stuff. They don’t think like fans.

Wonder if Cleveland is having second thoughts on blowing up their draft board for the next two years and guaranteeing nearly a quarter of a billion dollars to Deshaun Watson...

2 hours ago, drsamuel84 said:

I'd rather spend that collateral on Lamar Jackson even if we're not great next year it gives us a better chance at landing a top HC next cycle if we have the QB in place.

Are top HC's available every offseason though?  I'm not sure Payton even wants to be here but, if he does, I don't love the idea of passing up on him.  Of course the timing absolutely stinks because we have about a 2 year window where we're not paying the young guys.

But you can already see the whole thing falling apart in 2 years, where we overpay for some broken down QB who prevents us from re-signing our stars.  And the guys who stay here become malcontents because we screwed everything up.  At least if you have a good HC in place, players respect that.

Sean Payton: If a team hires me, the Saints will ask for a mid-to-late first-round pick
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 16, 2023, 2:56 PM EST

New Orleans Saints v Philadelphia Eagles
Getty Images
Sean Payton says that if he takes a head-coaching job, the team that hires him will have to give the Saints a mid-to-late first-round draft pick.

Payton told Colin Cowherd he and Saints General Manager Mickey Loomis have come to an understanding that that’s what his new team will give the Saints, if Payton takes a head-coaching job.

“Mickey Loomis and I have talked already about it. I think ultimately the compensation for the Saints will be a mid or later first-round pick,” Payton said.

Payton plans to speak with the owners of the Panthers, Cardinals, Broncos and Texans this week. Loomis has indicated that the Saints are making sure any team that talks to Payton is well aware of the compensation the Saints will expect, and that all teams talking to Payton have accepted that compensating the Saints is part of the deal.

12 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Sean Payton: If a team hires me, the Saints will ask for a mid-to-late first-round pick
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 16, 2023, 2:56 PM EST

New Orleans Saints v Philadelphia Eagles
Getty Images
Sean Payton says that if he takes a head-coaching job, the team that hires him will have to give the Saints a mid-to-late first-round draft pick.

Payton told Colin Cowherd he and Saints General Manager Mickey Loomis have come to an understanding that that’s what his new team will give the Saints, if Payton takes a head-coaching job.

“Mickey Loomis and I have talked already about it. I think ultimately the compensation for the Saints will be a mid or later first-round pick,” Payton said.

Payton plans to speak with the owners of the Panthers, Cardinals, Broncos and Texans this week. Loomis has indicated that the Saints are making sure any team that talks to Payton is well aware of the compensation the Saints will expect, and that all teams talking to Payton have accepted that compensating the Saints is part of the deal.

If we could trade #13 for Sean Payton (assuming he'd come here), I'd be all for making that move.

• Upvote 2

One of the reasons I didn't want anything to do with Payton. No way I give up picks for a HC.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Sean Payton has a year left on his contract. 

Why not just wait the year instead of handicapping the team you want to go to? 

None of these jobs that are available this cycle are can't miss opportunities...

• Upvote 1