Aaron Rodgers: Do not want to be apart of a rebuild

Rhg1084

6 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The Packers would have to take a big dead money cap hit to trade him. I wonder what they'd need in return to stomach that.

Not really excited about giving up a bunch of draft capital for a 39 year old guy who has actively been talking about retirement for a while but if it's not an unreasonable ask, sure - of course. I wouldn't count on him sticking around or more than one season though.

The dead hit happens anyway; it's money they've already paid him because they decided to backload it. The way his contract is structured they're about to backload an additional ~$45MM more in 2023 alone.

They may be willing to trade him to get out of not just the coming year's $60MM, but possibly another $50MM or so of additional guaranteed money for 2024 that kicks in if he finishes the season injured in 2023.

They save a CRAZY amount of money by trading him. Plus they get a clear lane to putting Love on the field for the season, seeing how he had a 0% chance of winning the job by beating out Rodgers in any preseason. Any accelerated hit is going to happen to them anyway - in greater amounts than would happen by trading him now - and it's off like a bandaid in 2023 while Love is still cheap to field. 

--

The bigger question is for any potential suitors (Jets included): on top of the draft pick(s) GB demands, is Rodgers worth $60MM in 2023 and $50MM in 2024 and then that's it? He's unlikely to play out the fake remainder of his contract beyond that at $20MM/year, so a giant dead hit would be backloaded to 2025 for his new team, too - assuming he plays out 2024, that is. That'd be a largely unavoidable layout with the Jets, too: we don't have the space to frontload a $50-60MM cap hit for Rodgers in 2023 so they'd almost certainly leave it alone with this structure.

Yeah we need instant-veteran QB play in the worst way. But THIS much money, the draft picks, his "it's everyone's fault but mine" and "I don't really need this" charm, his age coming off an obvious downturn season -- it's a lot to consider, is he really worth all that?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, oatmeal said:

We don’t have the cap for his “guys” to tag along. But could you imagine Rodgers passively dissing Saleh and JD to Mcafee all season?

lmfao sign me up 

Rodgers cap hit is only $15m this year once his option is exercised. We'll easily be able to fit Bakhtiari, Cobb, & Lazard.

• Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The bigger question is for any potential suitors (Jets included): on top of the draft pick(s) GB demands, is Rodgers worth $60MM in 2023 and $50MM in 2024 and then that's it? He's unlikely to play out the fake remainder of his contract beyond that at $20MM/year, so a giant dead hit would be backloaded to 2025 for his new team, too - assuming he plays out 2024, that is. That'd be a largely unavoidable layout with the Jets, too: we don't have the space to frontload a $50-60MM cap hit for Rodgers in 2023 so they'd almost certainly leave it alone with this structure.

Yeah we need instant-veteran QB play in the worst way. But THIS much money, the draft picks, his "it's everyone's fault but mine" and "I don't really need this" charm, his age coming off an obvious downturn season -- it's a lot to consider, is he really worth all that?

I believe this trade would need to happen Post-June 1st, meaning any draft picks would be 2024. I would think this would mean a conditional pick, similar to Favre:

3rd - Baseline

2nd - Make Playoffs 

1st - Make Super Bowl

I think realistically we have Rodgers for 1 season and then we decline his 2024 option if he is healthy and let Zach start in 2024 or have him compete to start in 2024. You'll get a year behind Rodgers before needing to decide on 5th year option, I assume they'd decline given the increasing contracts. Let Zach show you what he learned in a contract year, if he balls out then you franchise tag and negotiate

2 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

Do teams get bonus wins for the QB's 'personality'?  Personally, I couldn't care less about his personality.

Seeing Aaron Rodgers with Garrett Wilson and Elijah Moore along with a healthy Breece Hall would be awesome IMO.  He might even be able to salvage Mims for crying out loud.

Not sure why people find Rodgers abrasive....he's kind of an intelligent guy who thinks for himself and yes, he ain't the usual 'jock'.  But he's a great QB which heals a lot of perceived ill will.

I never said they should avoid him but the other guy acted like he never heard Rodgers could be douchey.  It can prevent a team from winning.  I remember reading about Rodgers putting MVS in the doghouse and how he wouldn't throw to guys he was mad at.  That can go along with guys not liking Jimmy GQ refusing to play hurt while Brisset did.  Those things should be considered before surrendering your team to one of these guys.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I believe this trade would need to happen Post-June 1st, meaning any draft picks would be 2024. I would think this would mean a conditional pick, similar to Favre:

3rd - Baseline

2nd - Make Playoffs 

1st - Make Super Bowl

I think realistically we have Rodgers for 1 season and then we decline his 2024 option if he is healthy and let Zach start in 2024 or have him compete to start in 2024. You'll get a year behind Rodgers before needing to decide on 5th year option, I assume they'd decline given the increasing contracts. Let Zach show you what he learned in a contract year, if he balls out then you franchise tag and negotiate

I get where you're coming from but don't know that I agree. Presumably the "need to happen" is for Green Bay? They could just backload someone else instead of backloading Rodgers with a simple restructure. Someone else might have a higher cap hit in 2024+ but Rodgers would be off their cap for good after 2023. Cap-wise it works out the same in the end.

On the Jets' end, Douglas could just make an offer in March and say any 1st rounder offered is in 2024 not 2023. 

The problem with a post-6/1 trade - what would kill the deal for the Jets, and possibly anyone else as well - is the Jets can't wait until June to make a trade for Rodgers. That'd mean every other veteran option has already found a new home, and as a bonus the Packers' price will go up with the June-Jets now that much more desperate. What's more, with a few more months to think it over, Rodgers could wake up on the wrong side of the tampon & flake out to veto the trade he knew was forthcoming. 

Either way you're still talking about $60MM for just the 2023 season, or $110MM for the 2023 and 2024 seasons, from a QB at age 40 and 41, who's got a history of threatening to sit out the upcoming season during his typical offseason/summer man-period, plus he's not exactly coming off a career season as it is, plus yeah whatever draft picks the Jets would kinda like to use for some cheaper top talent, especially at tackle.

If there's a transaction to be had for Aaron Rodgers, what's unlikely to get in the way is whether the 1st round pick is this year's or next year's. And if GB is even considering this move, it's a salary dump as much as anything -- writing off the year and/or giving a full season-long look at Jordan Love - so they should be thrilled with any 1st rounders for the privilege of getting out of another $60-110MM of guaranteed Rodgers payments.