OT - For the older crew on the board

7 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I lived in a small apartment on the 6th floor.  PS 220 and it's huge playground were about 100 yards from us.  Just like the Italian Spaghetti sauce commercial, I often got summoned home by my mother sticking her head out the 6tth floor window and shouting my name at the top of her lungs.  And... this was not so uncommon.  Might have been my first public humiliation... not sure.

OMG, I went to PS 220. I grew up in the Fairview apartment  building. We had a huge asphalt park across the street so I never went to 220 except occasionally  if we wanted to play basketball there but we hated waiting for a game so didn't  do that too much. The Fairview had a pool so summers were spent there. My mom was so over protective. Had to know where I was at all times. My dad couldn't  care less lol. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I remember playing in the courtyard behind my building without any adult supervision at 6.  I was trusted to come back up on my own.  I started riding the subway on my own at 13.  And much much more.  Parents today would be horrified at what were the norms in the 1960's and 70's, at least in Queens anyway.

As they should be. I just changed jobs because I don't  want to deal with all the begging and crazy people who ride the subway. Since the pandemic,  it has gotten totally out of hand and Adams for all his talk has barely done anything. The police on the subway are a joke. They all stand together  on a platform in one spot. 4 cops watching 40 feet of subway platform. 

• Upvote 1

I had the latest technology: a digital watch with two alarms.  One for dinner and one for curfew.  

Total freedom so long as I had passing grades and avoided the police.  When I messed one of those things up, my father got involved and made sure I didn’t do that again for awhile. 

• Upvote 3

I have no idea what was being said in that article but at age 62 here is my view.

Always treat people with respect. i dont care what color, nationality physical appearance etc they are, if you follow that simple rule life and interaction becomes so much easier.

Regarding people over a certain age - not sure if early 40's count but certainly those in their 60's and above. You lose your filter and you also realize a good portion of your life is past you so you are less tolerant of nonsense. For me personally, I have been blessed that my kids are grown and have their own families - I even have a grandson and hopefully more on the way.

If I find a situation where someone is threatening that happiness and I don't strictly mean physical, I am willing to do what I need to including jail if it means protecting them. I have lived my life and completed my job of helping to develop my kids.

So if that article is saying be careful what you say or do to a certain age group - that I will agree with.

The only exception I have to the treat respect comment is if someone is walking or driving with the head in their phone - in that case all bets are off and stun guns should be legal to just put them down.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Trotter said:

I have no idea what was being said in that article but at age 62 here is my view.

Always treat people with respect. i dont care what color, nationality physical appearance etc they are, if you follow that simple rule life and interaction becomes so much easier.

Regarding people over a certain age - not sure if early 40's count but certainly those in their 60's and above. You lose your filter and you also realize a good portion of your life is past you so you are less tolerant of nonsense. For me personally, I have been blessed that my kids are grown and have their own families - I even have a grandson and hopefully more on the way.

If I find a situation where someone is threatening that happiness and I don't strictly mean physical, I am willing to do what I need to including jail if it means protecting them. I have lived my life and completed my job of helping to develop my kids.

So if that article is saying be careful what you say or do to a certain age group - that I will agree with.

The only exception I have to the treat respect comment is if someone is walking or driving with the head in their phone - in that case all bets are off and stun guns should be legal to just put them down.

The article actually address how scary he thinks 42 and over is. I really hope it was satire. Probably isn't 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

The article actually address how scary he thinks 42 and over is. I really hope it was satire. Probably isn't 

Yeah - really distracted this morning and not necessarily paying attention - just started typing and went on a rant.

Apologies.

1 hour ago, Anthony Jet said:

I forget who said it. But people late late 30s and up are the last generation to not have their parentsknow where they are as kids playing in the street. They know they’re in the neighborhood and had an idea where they were.  There were no phones barley beepers. No way to track. Just a simple be home when the street lights come on or listen for the whistle, something to that effect 

Funny, cause I had something similar... Got up early in the morning cause my mom made me practice the piano before and after school, and as long as my homework was done every day I could do pretty much what I pleased. We had our usual chores to do, like helping out in the kitchen when dinner was over, or mine was cutting the grass, cause my mom liked the way I did it. But most of all, I was out every day it didn't rain on my bike in the neighborhood going over my friends house. Everyone in the neighborhood knew when it was 5pm, cause out the door was my mom yelling "LEONARD" lol... Everyone knew it was dinner time lol...

28 minutes ago, Trotter said:

I truly believe most of us older generation has that... I know I was taught it, and it's worked well in my life.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

I lived in a small apartment on the 6th floor.  PS 220 and its huge asphalt playground were about 100 yards from the building.  Just like the Italian Spaghetti sauce commercial, I often got summoned home by my mother sticking her head out the 6tth floor window and shouting my name at the top of her lungs.  And... this was not so uncommon.  Might have been my first public humiliation... not sure.

Very funny !!!   good story

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

Sometimes climbing fifty foot trees in the woods without a net. 

I once climbed a tree about 30 feet high, and fell out when I was a kid.  I actually thought fast and fell straight on one leg, thinking that I would mess up the one leg, but the other leg would be okay.  Well, I was about a 1/4 mile away from home, my leg was badly sprained, and I crawled the entire way home.  I never went to the hospital, never got X-rays, and just sucked it up until it healed.  I don't remember my exact age, but I was probably somewhere between 7 and 9 years old when it happened. 

• Haha 2

Going on 57 and my experiences mirror many of yours.   Feel good stuff thanks for sharing.  If there is a higher power that takes interest in this stuff I am kindly asking that next year we don’t have to start these nostalgia threads until after the Super Bowl.  Or at least the playoffs.  Pretty please we are clearly good people, have suffered quite severely at least in the football sense, and deserve a little break.  

• Upvote 3