OT - For the older crew on the board

Millennial here, but I always resonated with Gen Xers lol...all of my good friends are older than me....I've always been more of an old soul......we were the last generation to have a childhood that has any resemblance to yours....I still played in the street till dinner, not that much supervision, roamed the neighborhood, getting into minor mischief, and we are the 1st generation that had access to technology as kids. We would spend time at friend's house playing video games and sleeping over in the winter time. Had a cell phone in HS. Nowadays with Gen Z, playing outside is foreign concept to them. Everything with them is TikTok, instagram, snapchat, and online gaming, that's their main form of interaction outside of school

One difference btwn the generations is straight communication. Millennials tend to beat around the bush when it comes to communicating. They take offense to the truth if it hurts their feelings(hence why I always gravitated towards Gen Xers lol) The older generations(Gen X, Boomers) are more straight shooters. For the most part, you know where you stand with them, and I appreciate that. 

Gen Z is a whole other disease onto itself ?.....the whole world offends them 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Don't even. I owned that game!! Had all three top scores at Tony's pizzeria, the guy literally hired me to help make pizza dough eventually and cleaning up I hung out there so much.  I cut grass with an old fashion spinning blade manual mower, minute I got my money I ran there, Two slices one Blueboy can of soda for $2.00, rest of the money went into defender and foosball, I  was a veritable Foosball and Defender GOD!!!!!!  

What town???

4 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Hell, I'm from the baby boomer generation...offspring of a WW II dad who landed on Omaha with the 1st Inf Div.  Smoked cigs around 5 or 6.  Offered beer at the supper table before I was 10.  Played cowboy and indians in the woods from the early morning hours until I heard my grandfather's whistle to come home for supper.  Hit in the head with a baseball bat at 6 that required 12 stitches.  And a week later another 10 stitches in my knee.  Mixed quaaludes with cough medicine at age 16 and chased it down with some cheap ass wine...by the time I was 20, met "charlie" and the rest is too long to type...I'm 74 now and if the Jets ever win a SB in the years I have left (I doubt they will), I will probably cry like a baby.  Oh, I was raised in some rebel town...I'm a Westchester Co NY kid! 

My dad served in Germany and France. Part of the 91st infantry I believe.

I am guessing your dad never spoke about the war - ever. My father would never bring it up and even when we would ask him why a large chunk of his upper arm was missing or same in his leg, he would never go into the details.

I hear this often from guys who's dads served in wars. 

Strangely enough the only time he discussed it was when he was dying of cancer.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Or getting your bell rung in Pop Warner football and they gave you smelling salts, raise a finger or two, change it to the number you yelled out and put you back in! haha

I remember as a Freshmen in HS getting rocked so badly on a kick return that I blacked out, forgot where I was, when I regained consciousness, I was seeing stars and my vision was completely spinning. My coach called me a pussy and told me to get out for the next play. I did, then puked on the sidelines shortly after. Not kidding. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Or getting your bell rung in Pop Warner football and they gave you smelling salts, raise a finger or two, change it to the number you yelled out and put you back in! haha

And the fat kids who had the duct tape X on their helmet

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

As they should be. I just changed jobs because I don't  want to deal with all the begging and crazy people who ride the subway. Since the pandemic,  it has gotten totally out of hand and Adams for all his talk has barely done anything. The police on the subway are a joke. They all stand together  on a platform in one spot. 4 cops watching 40 feet of subway platform. 

More the laws today are the joke... Whatever the Cops do is scrutinized to the emf degree & NOTHING happens to the criminals anyway... Blame the game not the player. 

27 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Don't even. I owned that game!! Had all three top scores at Tony's pizzeria, the guy literally hired me to help make pizza dough eventually and cleaning up I hung out there so much.  I cut grass with an old fashion spinning blade manual mower, minute I got my money I ran there, Two slices one Blueboy can of soda for $2.00, rest of the money went into defender and foosball, I  was a veritable Foosball and Defender GOD!!!!!!  

Holy smokes.  Sometimes I watch a YouTube video just to hear the sound effects lol.  That’s hilarious the one I played was in a pizza place in smithtown on 111.  I was cutting the grass at like 12 but only shoveled driveways for money. Me and my friend would go to the same places after every storm I think we asked 10-20 depending on the driveway but these were short driveways probably like 30 feet. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

haha, Explain please. 

There were weight classes in pee wee. If you were over a certain weight you couldn’t carry the ball. If you were over the linemen weight you could only have 1 on the field at a time. The players who were above that weight had an X duct taped to their helmet. 

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

There were weight classes in pee wee. If you were over a certain weight you couldn’t carry the ball. If you were over the linemen weight you could only have 1 on the field at a time. The players who were above that weight had an X duct taped to their helmet. 

Haha, Don’t remember that. I was mostly there for  the free Hot Chocolate and Hot dog after the game  anyways, 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I actually remember when it started to change.  2 a day practices in the summer.  Sweating off 10lbs a day and the coach would be yelling "WATER IS FOR PUSSIES!!!"   Then some poor kid died of dehydration or something and they were making us drink whether we wanted to or not.  "But coach, I'm not a pussy!"

+1. Water was a REWARD for not dying on the practice field with your mouth caked with dust.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Remember this stuff. Who thought it was a good idea to jab a plastic applicator stick into open wounds?

73430FE4-26A5-49D5-AE11-16E473B60157.thumb.jpeg.0c187925c81d1287a8012d7abccf5962.jpeg

Haha, yes. I remember my Aunts and  mother putting that in baby oil shaking it up and putting on their Skin to get more sun and better tan at the Lake in the summer.LOL

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I actually remember when it started to change.  2 a day practices in the summer.  Sweating off 10lbs a day and the coach would be yelling "WATER IS FOR PUSSIES!!!"   Then some poor kid died of dehydration or something and they were making us drink whether we wanted to or not.  "But coach, I'm not a pussy!"

“Dont drink too much water or you will cramp up!”  Haha 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2