OT - For the older crew on the board

58 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Hell, I'm from the baby boomer generation...offspring of a WW II dad who landed on Omaha with the 1st Inf Div.  Smoked cigs around 5 or 6.  Offered beer at the supper table before I was 10.  Played cowboy and indians in the woods from the early morning hours until I heard my grandfather's whistle to come home for supper.  Hit in the head with a baseball bat at 6 that required 12 stitches.  And a week later another 10 stitches in my knee.  Mixed quaaludes with cough medicine at age 16 and chased it down with some cheap ass wine...by the time I was 20, met "charlie" and the rest is too long to type...I'm 74 now and if the Jets ever win a SB in the years I have left (I doubt they will), I will probably cry like a baby.  Oh, I was raised in some rebel town...I'm a Westchester Co NY kid! 

I'm sure "charlie" has fond memories of your time together lol.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

2 a days in the August heat and only water breaks in between practices.  Guys were throwing up between snaps. 

When I got to basic training after high school they forced us to drink our canteens every hour. 

We got salt pills during practice. The logic of it still escapes me.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

We were aloud to go 3 blocks in any direction on our box bikes with trading cards in the tires to make cool sounds. We had to be on the front stoop within 5-min of my father whistling. If he was working days, it was street lights.

We played stoop ball, stickball, pickle (running bases), tackle football half on the lawn half in the street, and wiffle ball… Over the house was a home run. 

We played manhunt with toy guns that liked real and rope to tie up those we caught. When we played with the neighbor girls we got to make them our pretend wives and steal kisses and touches.

It was the best.

Same. With street hockey and kill the guy with the ball added in. We also would play other neighborhoods in football, baseball and street hockey -- oddly never in basketball even though that would probably have been the easiest to organize.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

We were aloud to go 3 blocks in any direction on our box bikes with trading cards in the tires to make cool sounds. We had to be on the front stoop within 5-min of my father whistling. If he was working days, it was street lights.

We played stoop ball, stickball, pickle (running bases), tackle football half on the lawn half in the street, and wiffle ball… Over the house was a home run. 

We played manhunt with toy guns that liked real and rope to tie up those we caught. When we played with the neighbor girls we got to make them our pretend wives and steal kisses and touches.

It was the best.

Geez....sounds like we grew up in the same neighborhood (in the Bronx). We played "skully" too and made "carpet guns".

https://spaldeendreams.blogspot.com/2008/10/youll-shoot-your-eye-out.html

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

It was the best.

Manhunt?  Country folk.  Coco ringalevio 1,2,3, 1,2,3!

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

On point.

No question my own generation (Gen X, grew up in the 80's primarily) suffered far less from the "obsessive helicopter parent" thing so prevalent these days, and most of us didn't do the "play dates and every minute must an organized, planned activity" thing also seemingly prevalent these days. 

But we also were very much a latchkey generation, perhaps the first real, true latchkey generation, left mostly alone while both parents worked, for better but mostly worse.

Also started working jobs at 15, and haven't stopped since, which definitely does not seem the way these days, as I know several youngsters now well over 20 who still live at home and barely or do not work.  Seems work ethic died somewhere after the 90's....

I don't know, every generation thinks the ones after them suck, I'm probably no different.  

So, some context for this, because I have this convo with my dad all the time. The solution back then was usually cartoons or for older young ones, Nintendo or Atari, but now the consequences of plopping a kid in front of the TV are way more dire than they were in the 70s and 80s. Your toddler or kid taking a liking to a screen early on has some serious repercussions now, ones that didn't exist back then. Parents are therefore forced to be way more proactive now to keep the kid busy because the option of a couple hours of TV time might not be there, and that requires a lot more work. At least if you want to have a kid that doesn't need a phone or tablet shoved into their face every single moment of the day for them to remain calm. We already have friends with kids that are my daughter's age that simply cannot be calmed down unless you give them the phone or the tablet, and that's a bad place to be for kids at a developmental age. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

So, some context for this, because I have this convo with my dad all the time. The consequences of plopping a kid in front of the TV now are way more dire than they were in the 70s and 80s. Your toddler or kid taking a liking to a screen early on has some serious repercussions now, ones that didn't exist back then. Parents are therefore forced to be way more proactive now to keep the kid busy because the option of a couple hours of TV time might not be there, and that requires a lot more work. At least if you want to have a kid that doesn't need a phone or tablet shoved into their face every single moment of the day for them to remain calm. We already have friends with kids that are my daughter's age that simply cannot be calmed down unless you give them the phone or the tablet, and that's a bad place to be for kids at a developmental age. 

I found putting kids to a martial arts class and letting them get punched in the face a bit helps with this. Oh yeah, confidence and other stuff too. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Great show. Still doesn’t do the park justice. That was the best water park, I’d even say theme park, there ever was 

Went there once and if i remember correctly is that the place that had a pretty high rock wall that you would jump off of? No real safety fence ot anything and extremely easy to slip and fall.

Took my kids there when they were younger and felt relieved to get out without any damage.

Just now, The Crusher said:

I found putting kids to a martial arts class and letting them get punched in the face a bit helps with this. Oh yeah, confidence and other stuff too. 

100%, but that's not an option until around age 4. And even that's what, 3-4 hours a week? It's still a ton more work to make sure your kid isn't totally ****ed up than it used to be.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

my first job was at 16 I was pumping gas for the Hess refined dinosaur bones company 

I had my choice of all the businesses near or inside the mall. Maybe even Sam Goody. Yet I chose to wear the white pants

my thinking? I enjoyed handling a wad of cash and as a ridiculous Jets fan it felt good to wear green and white 

"it's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine"

I flipped burgers at the snack bar at the neighborhood swim club. The manager was a nice guy but an alcoholic. He wasn’t a mean drunk just a happy-go-lucky-doesn’t-give-a-fugg drunk. Very nice person though and funny.

My first day I show up and he tells me to have a good shift. I reminded him it was my first day and I need training. He said “don’t burn the burgers and don’t serve ‘em bloody.” That was it. Fully trained.

The next summer my little brother worked there. The boss fired him (don’t remember why) and next day called my house looking for him saying he was late for work… my brother worked there two more years after getting fired lol.

Loved it.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

100%, but that's not an option until around age 4. And even that's what, 3-4 hours a week? It's still a ton more work to make sure your kid isn't totally ****ed up than it used to be.

I of course raised my kids at the cusp of this. 21,23,25,27 and 32. My boys didn't crave the TV time until Halo "Combat Evolved" came out. When the I phone thing that wasn't an actual phone came out it got worse, Till then 90-120 minutes of RugRats, Power Rangers, Wild Thornberries, and Rocket power was enough. Truth is with five of them it was a lot easier to put them outside in my fenced yard with my dogs have them at least pick on one another if not play together a bit. Between My wife and I are very thankful we had our kids then instead of now. For real!

• Upvote 3