OT - For the older crew on the board

1 hour ago, Bungaman said:

Another old time winner: hydrogen peroxide. Use too much, and it kills living tissue.

During a HS football game, some kid who had one of his screw-on cleats (remember those?) missing from his shoe, stepped on my hand, and the bolt tore open a trench from the middle fingernail to the center of the back of my hand. I had to stand there in the middle of the locker room after the game, without making a sound, while the coach poured of over the wound. I just about swallowed my tongue.

I loved the sound metal tipped cleats made when the team walked on the sidewalk from the building to the field.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, CSNY said:

64 here Relate to all the stories being told here so here’s one of mine. 
Hanging out at Fitzgerald Bar In Rockaway Beach 108 street and the Boardwalk get into a fight , Cops come cuff me and the guy I was fighting load us into the car. I’m thinking oh great this is not going to go over well with dear old Dad. Well cops drive us to Beach 30 street in Far Rockaway  open the door uncuff us and say get out. Only way back was to walk the 70 some odd blocks back to Fitzys at around 1:00am. Trust me I never got into another fight in any bar in the Rockaways again. That my friends is true crowd control 

I got pulled over when I was 16 or 17 bringing a case of beer back to my parents house when they were out of town. The cop just made me pour it out in the grass and let me go. Worst punishment ever.

These days I'd probably have to take diversionary courses and be labeled a local brigand.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, jgb said:

I got pulled over when I was 16 or 17 bringing a case of beer back to my parents house when they were out of town. The cop just made me pour it out in the grass and let me go. Worst punishment ever.

Yeah...but a case of Schmidt's back in my day was $3.99 lol so probably wouldn't have broke the bank!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

Not so long ago a middle school kid bragged to me that they were in gifted and talented. Meanwhile, said student was literally incapable of tying their own shoes. That student didn't display any amazing savant like talent to make up for this deficiency. After 79' maybe 80' it's a steep slope. Thank god for AI and robots because if we had to depend on these kids we'd all be doomed.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Yeah...but a case of Schmidt's back in my day was $3.99 lol so probably wouldn't have broke the bank!

You haven’t lived until you bought Canadian Ace beer. .69 cents and it came in a glass gallon jug. Worse stuff ever. And I can say that with authority having had the likes of Tango, Boones Farm, Wild Irish Rose, Spanada basically any rot gut cheap ass alcohol you can imagine 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Not so long ago a middle school kid bragged to me that they were in gifted and talented. Meanwhile, said student was literally incapable of tying their own shoes. That student didn't display any amazing savant like talent to make up for this deficiency. After 79' maybe 80' it's a steep slope. Thank god for AI and robots because if we had to depend on these kids we'd all be doomed.

Superlative inflation is a thing. The real gifted kids are probably called "mega super extra gifted" so that "gifted" can be applied to everyone else.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, CSNY said:

You haven’t lived until you bought Canadian Ace beer. .69 cents and it came in a glass gallon jug. Worse stuff ever. And I can say that with authority having had the likes of Tango, Boones Farm, Wild Irish Rose, Spanada basically any rot gut cheap ass alcohol you can imagine 

When I was briefly on Tinder in between marriages my profile was "Cheap beer and expensive wine."

It cleaned up.

Pro tip to the youngins out there.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, greenwave81 said:

Age 63...grew up in Smithtown.  Used to ride my bike, sans helmet (WTF were those anyway) to Islip Airport just to watch the planes take off and land...packed a PBJ sandwich.  When the sumps/ponds froze over, we threw out a hastily constructed hockey goal, scaled the fence if necessary, and skated all day.  Had 'neighborhood' traveling football teams and played tackle football without pads...took a beating.  As with others, had to be home when the street lights went on...other than that, my parents had no idea what I was doing.  I'm afraid these days kids have little sense of independence as the world has changed.

Smithtown West ‘85 here, how about you?

10 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Or getting your bell rung in Pop Warner football and they gave you smelling salts, raise a finger or two, change it to the number you yelled out and put you back in! haha

I got my bell ring so bad I went to the other teams huddle after the play and the ref laughed at me and directed me to my huddle. No one even thought of taking me out.

I also remember high school 2 a day practices in sweltering heat and humidity and the coach was mad at the effort in the morning practice so as a punishment he wouldn’t let us drink water or bug juice as punishment.

how no one died from some of the things we did growing up is amazing thinking back. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Corn said:

Is this thread again about the older generation bashing the younger generation.

Glorifying themselves while they did a lousy job I guess.

Kids generally suck at life because they are inexperienced at it. It's not wrong to say the generation after you is stupid, at least until they too grow up.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Kids generally suck at life because they are inexperienced at it. It's not wrong to say the generation after you is stupid, at least until they too grow up.

Okay thanks I guess.Just seems like the society  a complete collapse.When the mental illness is skyrocketing  along with child abuse and crime,

I just don't find it entertaining from the work we did.

32 minutes ago, Corn said:

Is this thread again about the older generation bashing the younger generation.

Glorifying themselves while they did a lousy job I guess.

Yes, yes it is.  Just like any older generation does and the younger generation that becomes old does it again and so on and so on and so on.

14 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

OMG, I went to PS 220. I grew up in the Fairview apartment  building. We had a huge asphalt park across the street so I never went to 220 except occasionally  if we wanted to play basketball there but we hated waiting for a game so didn't  do that too much. The Fairview had a pool so summers were spent there. My mom was so over protective. Had to know where I was at all times. My dad couldn't  care less lol. 

I nearly drowned in the fairview pool whe I was about 9.  Later, when I got my drivers license, we used to zip around past the mobil gas station and GCP entrance on that service road and get high, get laid whatever ....  fun times.

13 hours ago, jgb said:

PS everyone on this board is “the older crew.”

Jets haven’t generated new fans in over a decade

^This is true, BTW.  More than a decade.  I know from my kids and their friends.  If they didn't see the '98 Jets or maybe even the playoff win vs Colt, then forget it.  Thats about where the line is for NEW Jets fans.  

Blame it all on pathetic management under an incompetent owner. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

We always called it Class Action Park, but the kids in Jersey called it Traction Park.  I think you mean the cliff dive.  First they stopped letting you dive.  Then they closed the higher one.  Last time I went they called it Mountain Creek, and it was close to empty and kind of rainy.  My cousin and I were the only two at the cliff jump.  He was huffing and puffing and stretching and a small crowd started watching.  They thought he was scared, but he was getting ready to jump up so he could get as close to the higher jump as possible. 

We went up the super high wedge-y maker water slide.  A little kid followed us that was so short that on his tippy toes the top of his little mohawk barely the scraped the "you must be this tall" sign.  The teenager running the ride said "Go for it!"  Turned to us and said "That kid has the balls to climb these stairs and I'm going to make him walk down?  **** that"

The first firm I worked at represented the corporate owners of Action Park.  Just the financial stuff. The injury lawsuits were handled by a different breed.  But they were a fiscal disaster as well.  Not to mention the Playboy Hotel which we also represented.  Back then, Vernon was just a sh*thole of garbage.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CSNY said:

64 here Relate to all the stories being told here so here’s one of mine. 
Hanging out at Fitzgerald Bar In Rockaway Beach 108 street and the Boardwalk get into a fight , Cops come cuff me and the guy I was fighting load us into the car. I’m thinking oh great this is not going to go over well with dear old Dad. Well cops drive us to Beach 30 street in Far Rockaway  open the door uncuff us and say get out. Only way back was to walk the 70 some odd blocks back to Fitzys at around 1:00am. Trust me I never got into another fight in any bar in the Rockaways again. That my friends is true crowd control 

Beach 116th  is where FHHS went when we cut school in late May/june.  Most packed beaches on school days you would ever see.

17 minutes ago, Dcat said:

The first law firm I worked at represented the corporate owners of Action Park.  Just the financial stuff. The injury lawsuits were handled by a different breed.  But they were a fiscal disaster as well.  Not to mention the Playboy Hotel which we also represented.  Back then, Vernon was just a sh*thole of garbage.

Lawyer. No wonder i agree with you so often.

21 hours ago, Trotter said:

I have no idea what was being said in that article but at age 62 here is my view.

Always treat people with respect. i dont care what color, nationality physical appearance etc they are, if you follow that simple rule life and interaction becomes so much easier.

Regarding people over a certain age - not sure if early 40's count but certainly those in their 60's and above. You lose your filter and you also realize a good portion of your life is past you so you are less tolerant of nonsense. For me personally, I have been blessed that my kids are grown and have their own families - I even have a grandson and hopefully more on the way.

If I find a situation where someone is threatening that happiness and I don't strictly mean physical, I am willing to do what I need to including jail if it means protecting them. I have lived my life and completed my job of helping to develop my kids.

So if that article is saying be careful what you say or do to a certain age group - that I will agree with.

The only exception I have to the treat respect comment is if someone is walking or driving with the head in their phone - in that case all bets are off and stun guns should be legal to just put them down.

you're a boomer so thats why you don't get it, not meant to be disrespectful just saying